Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR contractor trying to put wires across my house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Came across similar with a friends house. They wanted accessto run a cable across the front. Seemed no problem but when asked they said they woul dbe drilling into the stone wall every 2 ft or so!

No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TAFKA_hometruths_real

A telecoms cable would never impede work like that... I have been to many faults where the builders just cut the wire where they had to get something done and played dumb when we turn up... if it's a straight forward fault, it's never usually an issue... technically you're supposed to charge faults like that, but I always liked to give benefit of doubt (unless you were a ****)

doing it multiple times or cutting through something like a 10 pair or above and that's when people start getting annoyed.

with fibre optics now, I'm not sure people would be so nice though, as best practice is minimal splices so new runs of cable would need to be drawn in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It devalues your house

indeed, when i found out the house i had gone sale agreed on had a broadband cable attached to the front i immediately dropped my bid by €10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,860 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Perhaps I have misunderstood, I took the situation to be that a cable was to be strung across the property aerially, between poles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on the wording, i assumed it was tacking the wires directly on:

"trying to attach wires across my house to the adjoining house"

i don't know if the word 'attach' would have been used if it was meant in the cable being strung aerially?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Attach, meaning drill holes in my wall, hang the wire across front of my property to a junction box. They have no alternative way to route the wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The cable to your house comes from a pole? So why can't they put another pole in for your neighbor? They have the right it seems to put a cable on your wall so surely they have the right to put a new pole in the pavement anywhere they want?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TAFKA_hometruths_real

the clips used are 5mm width and 20-25mm length ...

typical straight run of cable takes about 5-6 clips across a house... if you can tension it round a bend, you can get away with 3-4.

If you're worried about that devaluing or structurally damaging your house, I think you have much bigger issues at hand other than a cable going across the house.

If you have Sky, their co-ax runs use bigger clips and their method of work is centre brick placement (most others with try follow masonry lines

i have seen one or two examples of minor damage caused by cables being attached. one was a house where the cables were fixed into the mortar on a red brick a few courses from the top, and the fixings lifted the bricks above.

i just tried finding the house on street view, and if i'm looking at the right one, it looks like the brickwork has been repointed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

The likes of Eir etc. have very little statute rights in law when it comes to entering private property - they 'survive' mostly on the goodwill of landowners and property owners unlike the ESB who have substantially more power (excuse intended pun) Hence the reason that almost all telecom poles etc. are along public roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Iirc the ESB wayleave rights extend to SIRO, giving them an advantage over open-eir/NBI when rolling out fibre.

This seems rather odd. When I had fibre installed, it followed the same route as the existing phone line. If across your house is said to be the only route, then does this mean that your neighbours house has no existing phone connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

just let them install the cable ffs, it's 1 cable & your neighbour gets broadband. Live & let live ffs dont mind all these talking about solicitors etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm not sure where people get this 'devalues your house's angle. What kind of devaluation do you think applies to your house?

Random stranger on internet claims to drop bidding price on house by ten k due to cable on front of house.

Yeah, that's someone who is:

Lying

Or

Still doesn't own a house.

This kind of thing does not devalue a house.

I have owned 5 properties, 3 at one time, I have just this year whittled it down to one. I made no claim of a € amount and I made no such claim regarding a cable attached to a property, as I said, I had wrongly assumed an aerial cable stretced across a property.

Now take a deep beath and go for a walk.

You linked to a post in whice you responded to another poster in which the other poster said they reduced their offer by 10K on a house because a cable was on the house.

A cable on a house does not devalue the property as some have said on this thread.

Maybe they need to go for a walk?

or maybe said poster (i know him and he's sound) was using poetic licence (though some may call it sarcasm) to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the considerate thing would have been for the neighbour to contact you and advise you of what they are up to… seriously thoughtless of them not too. Probably them AND the installation people..

to be honest there is no perfect solution him being your dentist, but both he and the installers are the ones not behaving appropriately … I’d probably just call the Gardai if the installation team turn up and access your property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Eir is crap to be honest and Internet is poxy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

does this apply to cables installed to provide electrical service to the house next door ? have the esb the right to install new cables to say provide service to house no6, eg they can just run electric cables along no 5 without asking the owner of no 5,s permission to do so. i,m curious can the esb just install cables along the front wall of a house without asking permission ?

Eir are technically, superb for fibre, it's their post introductory pricing and customer service that sucks. In 12 months, the total downtime was about 20 min and I never needed their CS except after I switched providers and there was a billing dispute. I would prefer to still be with them for the technical quality, but the cost is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭brophs

In a similar vein, a guy called around a few months back asking about installing Eir FTTH. His first suggestion was bringing it from the pole outside ours and our neighbour's house, across to the shared chimney between our houses and down to the front of the house (bungalows), as other wires are doing , where they'd install a small box between us. I agreed and thought no more of it. A week later the fella arrives back asks to put the cable on the front of our house (black cable against white wall and guttering/soffit/facia) which I said no to, as it'd just look bad. No big drama, I just wanted it done a bit cleaner. But I didn't want to be a pain in the arse for them so I then offered for them to take it from the lamp post on the other side of our house and then fish the cable through our soffit and across, or failing that, through our attic. He said he'd try that and then didn't bother. He also said they can't put it in gutters as it'd cause gutters to collapse in the rain (?).

He then started trying pretty forcefully to persuade my elderly neighbour to agree to put a pole on the front of their house, which would raise well above roof level and take it directly from the top of the lampost down to that as apparently people spend their days suing Eir for a new roof after work (why was never made clear) and they won't work above a roof like ours. My neighbour asked my opinion and said I thought a wire coming down at the house at a less than 45 degree angle like that would look dreadful and would be in her eyeline out her sitting room window, but it was her choice. She said no.

I then offered again for them to take it from the lamp post on the other side of our house and then fish the cable across, either through the soffit or attic. He tried that, half-heartedly, gave up and said the blokes installing FTTH on the day would do something. Haven't heard a peep in a month or so, even though he said they'd be back that week.

Odd business altogether.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What kind of devaluation applies to a house that cannot get broadband ?

It means that the occupants can't work from home so would be forced to choose other jobs / pay for extra commuting.

no, it’s not the ESB that installs SIRO. That’s contracted to Circet or KN and they get contracted by Vodafone. ESB’s involvement is honestly little more than allowing Vodafone to use their existing infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

A few corrections here, I never said the ESB installs SIRO, what I said was the wayleave rights the ESB have to maintain and repair their network extend to the SIRO's fibre network by regulation

On SIRO, it is a separate entity to Vodafone, it is a 50/50 JV company between Vodafone and the ESB and like open-eir and NBI contract the likes of KN, TLI etc. to rollout, maintain and repair the fibre network over ESB infrastructure.

The point I am making, is that a cable on the front of a house, does not devalue a house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Most people here would think twice about buying a house if they knew the neighbour was blocking present and future access to the internet. It's kind of essential for anyone with kids or where they have a job that uses a computer.

Also sucks if you want cable TV or online shopping or filling in forms on govt websites.

• Advertisement

I get that (A house not being able to get a fixed wire internet connection is one less type of internet connection that house can get, for whatever reason - but again, I don't think it necessarily devalues the house as much as some would think)

However the point being made that I am responding to is that a cable on the front of a house devalues the value of THAT house - ie if the OP allows KN to run a cable across their house, the value of their house goes down and as such the OP should get compensation from someone to allow for this.

A cable on the front of a house does not devalue that house.

Advertisement