Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR contractor trying to put wires across my house

Options
13»

Comments

Just a few observations:

1. it’s OpenEir, a separate entity that rolls out access networks. The ISP could be one of many. So you’re cutting them off from access to Sky, Vodafone, Digiweb, Eir, Airwire, etc etc
    2. It’s likely a fibre service. The cable will be very small compared to cable TV and only serves one home. The have passive splitters on poles or in the vaults (manholes) underground. The network topology isn’t the same as cable tv, where there’s a trunk run house to house and then each house is tapped to the truck. The fibre goes in an unbroken line from the house to the splitter.
    3. If they cant get access to the house, they’ll most likely just abandon the installation. They aren’t going to go out of their way to deal with one challenging location. Installing another pole on the street may not be feasible in urban areas as you get into complications with the local authority.
    4. We had a neighbour in Cork block cable tv to our whole street and she is still considered to be a total pain in the rear and she did that in the early 1980s! So if you want to become the local Victor Meldrew, it’s one way of going about it. It’s still “oh yeah we can’t get Virgin because of …. “ if you ask anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Most houses in urban areas would have covenants allowing cable TV, etc, across the house. So in that case a homeowner would not have the right to refuse or obstruct.

@brophs that sounds totally ridiculous. Do they not have a phone? How is the phone wire connected to their house? The openeir fibre will go the same way.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

You have an absolute right to refuse.It is your property.The installer is wrong.What I did was obtain free broadband for life.I told the company I would arrange removal of their existing equipment if there was no agreement.I stipulated that I would employ a qualified person for the removal(no accusation of damage done to same).My house is positioned which meant a 3 way connection to other properties. They wanted to upgrade.The previous owner had an agreement which lapsed when I bought the property.

Negotiate to be happy with the work they do.

P.S. I arrived home one day to find an installer on my property with all his equipment.He was invited to leave promptly.There was no prior notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I definitely would not buy a house that could not get a fixed wire internet connection.

I would buy a house with a cable running across the front if the house was otherwise suitable to my needs.

All things being equal I don't think a cable across the front would be a deal breaker for most buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Op would you not contact KN and tell them there’s no way you’re letting this happen.

KN will then have to contact EIR and let them they’ve no access.

The project manager in eir will then have to try and solve the issue one way or another to your acceptance.

This could mean digging up the pavement to lay a fibre cable to bypass your house or it could mean you allowing them to attach the cable to your house in return for free BB for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

I assume the house is in an estate.

Some service providers are feeding the service across the houses replacing the old cabled tv systems.

There maybe an easement in place but the service provider may not enforce it as it could lead to ongoing issues with a non-consenting property owner.

If I were in this situation I would speak with the contractor's manager. They are well used to dealing with these type of issues. An amicable agreement could easily reached unless the OP is adamantly refusing access.

The installation of a broadband cable on the property would imoh enhance the property value.

Older tv cabling work was pretty shoddy but, from what I see, today's multi service installations are professionally carried out.

Post edited by Cerco on

OpenEir doesn’t own or operate old cable tv systems, which have a totally different layout.

Their fibre network is following the same pattern as the phone network, which is almost always entirely radial, running from ducts or poles, except in some terraces where they might have clipped multi core phone lines to the fronts of buildings.

For example in city centre areas they often were clipped above a shop signage.

Talk to them, but unless they’re doing something totally ridiculous, wires running on buildings is just a feature of modern urban life, especially in areas that predate modern infrastructure. It has to get in somehow.

Lack of fibre access is going to be a major negative when selling a property. I don’t think anyone will care or or notice a small fibre clipped along the eves or whatever.

It would be very different if the ESB were proposing to run some huge quadruplex cable under your windows or something, but the fibres are no thicker than the phone lines they replaced and not much different to a piece of flex on an appliance in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

The Gardai? not think they have enough to be doing with out the likes of eir trying to fit 1 single cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well we know the reply you will get - "that would be a **** matter". 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Depending on how it is done and the nature of your walls (old stone or brick) there can be damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 MargoChanning

So I’m in a similar situation. Junction box for 4 houses in my garden. Circet called looking for access to connect a neighbour at the start of the week. I said yeah, work away. So the neighbour called into me last night. They couldn’t run the cable from the junction box into his house- they couldn’t find the cable at his end. So they’ll have to drill a hole in my garden wall, as well as dig a 3/4 foot hole across my garden to connect him to efibre. Thoughts? Bearing in mind we’ve had no direct question from Circet about this, just our neighbour calling into us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just tell him no until Circet call you and ask their planning team offer you a reasonable recompence. Often they will reduce monthly bills or offer extra channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Lot of people being overly dramatic here. Kn tried to do the same on my block of 5 houses. I said no as the existing phone lines on my gable are a mess plus I have external ducting for solar. The planner guy from kn said to chat to all the neighbours and ask for the cables to be buried as a pole for some reason wasn't an option. We just kept submitting requests for buried cables and sure enough they dug all the footpaths and ran cable in ducting with a connection point at each gate. New footpaths aswell. Happy days

Advertisement