Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR contractor trying to put wires across my house

Options
  • 17-10-2022 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I have EIR contractor KN Circet trying to attach wires across my house to the adjoining house.

I assume its for broadband connection.

Have I a right to say NO..

The installer says its between me and my neighbour.

Its going to look messy and I dont want it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

your house. of course you have a right to say no. Don't let them on your property until you resolve the issue. Call the guards if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not your problem OP. If the neighbor wants a connection to whatever then Eir or their contractors will have to put in a new pole if they can't run a cable from an existing one. Out in the country they do that because its an easy job putting a pole in a grass verge but in the town its expensive digging up pavements and relaying them to put in a new pole so basically they won't do it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Bit quick to escalate there, no?

Yes, you have a right to say no, but you also have to live beside a neighbour who is possibly being inconvenienced by inflexibility. Wires have been routed across houses for decades now and the system works well if people facilitate the need. One wire won't affect the house much, you could just tell them that you'll only accept the wire and no header/junction-boxes, etc.

Many years ago now the then Eircom run a wire across the front of my house but they put it directly under the gutter and in black trunking so it literally invisible - you should ask them if this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes, you can refuse. It's entirely up to you.

Mate of mine used to do this work, he always advised to see what the contractors company can do for you, i.e free broadband, sky or whatever for the year for facilitating them. When the year is up you can request they are removed unless your free deal is extended. You can also specify that the work is done to your standards so you are happy with how neat it is. Worst they will say is no and reroute it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭monseiur

Nobody has a right to interfere with your property be it internal or external without your permission. If a KN Circet employee fell off a ladder while fitting this cable to your house or if he/she injured a third party by say dropping a hammer etc. who is responsible ? If you decide to allow these cables to be attached to your house you should at least get free broadband, or similar for life (or for as long as you live in the house) - it will cost EIR next to nothing whereas if they have to dig up footpaths, road, lawns etc. it will cost many thousands of Euro, it could be anything from €25,000 to €75,000 Asking for free broadband for a year is a joke, don't even consider it. Whatever agreement you come to be sure to get it in writing and approved by your solicitor before signing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't go expecting any favours from your neighbour if you blocked them getting their broadband!

but as above, the contractors have zero right to fix anything to your house unless you give them permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Agreed, you can get half price or free for a VERY long time. My mother got half price for tv for a year.. Absolutely silly gain..

We now have a large cable for life. Its very easy to get large concessions from this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Liability isn't an issue for the OP, these contractors are all insured.

The freebies are usually for a year, as thats what the standard contracts are, but there should be no issue renewing them yearly at no cost to the OP. There's no need to get a solicitor involved. It's free broadband, not a house sale.

I would most certainly get my solicitor to run his learned eye over any contract before I sign. The devil is always in the detail...the large print give it, the small print take it away (or words to that effect) You say ''there should be no issue renewing'' what if there is an issue, if the OP signs an agreement that allows one years free broadband and the issue arises when it comes to renewing. What if Eir sells to another provider ? No doubt Eir will verbally promise the OP the sun, moon & stars just to get the easy/ cheapest route for their cable. A wise man once said that a verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on !!

It may not be a house sale but the sums could be substantial over a period - say €500 per year for 35 years = €17,500 I would contend it's worth the solicitors fee !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Whats stopping me is...my neighbour is also my dentist.. ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭daheff

If the contractor is on the OP property to install the wire what do you suggest they do to stop it? Push the contractor off the ladder?

Gardai would seem to be the reasonable next step if the contractor is trespassing, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Nah, ive had this before.... simply climbed up and cut the wires away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What about getting your solicitor to clip the cables along the house ?

Would that cut out a lot of the shite ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,489 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You can of course say no. That might make it awkward with the neighbour depending on whether it effects their ability to get whatever that line is for.

It would probably be better if the contractor can do the job to your satisfaction. These cables can be innocuous if done well.

The big cash deals and long term free services that people have gotten from providers over the years are more likely to be cables that provide service to a large amount of people rather than service to one person. I'd expect in this case if you could negotiate with Eir, it would be for a cheaper service for a while but not multiples of thousands etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is the relevant act https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2002/act/20/enacted/en/print.html prior to this NTL / Eircom had rights to run cables up the wazoo

If access is needed for major infrastructure with lots and lots of customers hanging off it then they might do a deal.

But if the line is only needed for one neighbour then they'll never make enough on it to subsidise you so probably no deal and no internet for you neighbour. Yes they must provide a voice connection, but they can do that with a wireless voice only connection connection.

Put the shoe on the other foot. If you had no broadband and the only reason was your neighbour refusing to let them run the cable how would you feel ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I got several years free UPC years ago after they entered my property to attach a cable to the wall after being explicitly told not to. And the gate was padlocked shut.

I was having construction work done to the front of the house, hence the instruction. We'd started out by warning them that if they did enter the property to do this, we could not guarantee the safety of the cable due to the nature of the work. Their response basically was 'are you threatening to damage the cable?' so we sent them explicit instructions not to enter. Which they (KN) lost in their systems.

You've quoted the act as if you know what it says so how about a quote from the relevant part?

I'm not suggesting refusing Eir to run a cable, just cutting a watertight deal with them before cable is fitted and if need be explaining the situation to neighbour. If Eir refuses OP then let the neighbour be mad at Eir not OP ! It's a win win situation OP gets free broadband or what ever and Eir saves a substantial sum in the process. Eir's current revenue is €2.655 billion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 TAFKA_hometruths_real

ex-comms installer here...

Only time I've heard of NTL/Virgin etc... providing free service is if it was close to a distribution point... so if you have potential for disrupting a number of services (say an estate or a road full of potential valuable customers) they will do a deal.... many many people have been refused deals (I know from experience because our neighbour 2 doors up tried to do the same for UPC, which UPC were happy to forgo 4 customers instead of appeasing my neighbour)

From the installs perspective, the statute book ref has already been posted, however, there is also "grandfather" rights, similar to bylaws for walkways, where if it's in situ for a certain period, it's difficult to remove and even though it's on your property, you may be subject to infrastructure damage claims if something ever happens while service to other customers is interrupted.

What needs to be asked is:

-how are any comms cables currently run? is each household fed overhead or underground individually? Is it flyer cables (cables ran UG/Overhead to 1 premises, either to a distribution point or individually for 2 or 3 houses, then fed under the eves to others)?

If there is current precedence of flyer cables, and/or if you're only being a hindrance to your neighbour getting service, the operator will most likely walk away and offer a mobile service.

The right to a phone legislation isn't as tight as it was before with the prevalence of mobile phones. You can't turn around to a company and say "I want x to here" anymore.... infrastructure is now best endeavours and within reason. If it requires new UG infrastructure or a pole, your neighbour will most likely foot part of the dig and build cost (2 or 3 grand last rough guestimates were, depending on distance)....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

One potential approach is to maybe see if they will concede a free service which happened in one case I know directly of where the house has a box on it serving as a node or junction, but this is an Eir contractor. I wouldn't wish Eir on my worst enemy, well maybe I would.

just expanding on this... for new installs you could definitely get the guards involved, but I doubt any installer is going to fight to do an install :-D

for existing infrastructure, it's not so clear cut...

As I mentioned, there are certain grandfather rights in situ for installs that were before the 2002 statute legislation... which are technically governed by a "right of way" for providers to access and fix infrastructure...

However, no one is going to fight to fix a fault either. The onus will be put on the customer to escalate it to Comreg who can then initiate court proceedings to gain access... I had never seen this actually happen, but it was being discussed for a fault cluster in Galway where a lot of the feeds on the edge of town are usually from a single pole, in someone's backgarden. In this case a person hadn't allowed Eircom access to it for years and there were over 10 faults on it (the whole estate pretty much). Poor cheap planning IMO, but that's how it was done in the 80's/90's.

Current regs mandate individual UG or overhead feeds where practically possible, but there will always be outliers.

Another that "knows" that this information in the statues but doesn't quote them.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Who said it was Eir? - Its OpenEir and they are not an ISP

another sarcastic comment from someone who hasn't worked on the network...

I'm not legal so I don't know the legislation from heart, but I am definitely aware of what we were and weren't allowed to do in the field with regards to access rights (personal safety and employment can sort of hinge on that). From a personal perspective, it was usually walk away highlight it to management and let them sort it. From a company perspective, if any major customers were affected there were expedited routes to Comreg to address these issues (they could get the guards involved fairly fast). it rarely comes to that, a friendly chat usually worked everything out, but there's always a certain few.

On a side of things where I did see action, it was electromagnetic interference, and I have been there were Comreg and the guards have been involved to search properties for offending equipment, it rarely came to the guards, a letter from Comreg and a friendly visit was usually sufficed.

There may well be legislation and I'd love to read it but I couldn't find any in the link that you indicated already covered it.

Give OpenEir, KN or Comreg a shout, they'll help you out with proper references

any time i have a tradesman turn up at my house the first test i give them to to ask them to quote the statutes under which they work. they're clearly spoofers if they can't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,974 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd simply refuse, dentist or not. It devalues your house without compensation and potentially might hinder you in future.

My house had a well out front. It failed and I had to get someone in with a drilling rig to sink a new one. The first attempt came up dry and I had to get a digger in to widen a route past the house so the rig could be taken around the back. Second hole was good. The last thing I needed was a cable across my property I might be liable for or which might have impeded what needed to be done.

Advertisement