Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

You see no requirement for c level executives to meet with employees (in their own team and in the wider context) regularly in person? if you are of the opinion that in person interactions have no value then there isnt anything anyone can do to convince you otherwise, but the proof is in the pudding, im not aware of a significant cohort of the top CEOs or CFOs that work remotely the majority of the time, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Anyone care to share there views on working from a public library. I can save a 90 min round trip if I can work from library. I can't work where I'm staying. Thinking about the library being happy about it or not.

says who, and if they did why did they not continue to do it, in my company at least all the c levels were in over most of lock down so not even sure how true it is that they managed quite fine for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,718 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You see students studying there. I don't know about working.

Do you not have the option of a pod?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Like renting a space at Wework kind of place .... I wouldn't make enough money to justify it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think that there are different rules at c-suite level in very large organisations

Those kinds of people are "on the road" a significant amount of time - They typically aren't sitting i head-office 9-5 Monday to Friday

They are out meeting customers , partners etc. and travelling all the time.

If you are a CFO/COO in a small to medium org - Less than a 1000 staff with a limited number of locations then it's a different story.

Bottom line - The applicability of WFH varies completely between organisations , roles , business fields etc. and there is also the personal aspect to it.

Some people just aren't build for long-term WFH for a variety of personal and personality reasons.

and just like everything work related , it's what you make of it.

It can be isolating and limiting , but then so can going to the office and never speaking to anyone and not interacting in meetings.

Being there in person is only potentially part of the "career development journey"

Being there in person is only potentially part of the "career development journey"

That depends if you've built your career on "being seen".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It would depend on the "work".

I'd say you'd be fine if you are sitting there doing coding or "quiet" admin type work , but they aren't going to be happy if you are sitting there trying to do Conference calls!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Very interesting different points of view.

I think we all know remote work is here to stay to some extent, and so is in-office work. I think some of the posts show that management isn’t really ready for it yet, that in some organisations there’s at least a perception that in-office workers will get some career advantages. Obviously it’s more desirable if people working from home don’t lose out.

I closed down a fairly big office, it just made lots of sense to do so, but it sounds like some companies want to keep up offices. I think this will be less and less the case as time goes on. As well as the cost there’s also the fact that few people like commuting.

Even in the thread, I think it’s hard to see very definite benefits to in-office working for business. Obviously this thread is mostly from the employee point of view, and there are things mentioned like interaction and career progression, but it’s very hard to see how actual businesses rather than individuals benefit from owning or renting office buildings if work can be done elsewhere.

The thread is v interesting for company owners though, it gives an insight into what employees might be thinking and problems they could have.

• Advertisement

That's interesting, and I know a few guys who did similiar, they run companies, don't do a stroke of manual work themselves, but kept going into their offices. I told them they were being reckless, but I think with some of them they just didn't want to feel like they were not in control somehow. Could I ask, why did those executives you know not just work remotely, at least most of the time? I think with anyone who did office work during Covid-19, it's about something deeper than just a preference.

I have a guy who works in a library a bit. His work is fairly predictable, and he would only have to be on the phone a few times a week. I'd say you'd be fine as long as you aren't talking. If you need to make calls go out to your car.

they felt their ability to run the company as a management team was better when they were together rather than remote. One issue with remote working is that every interaction tends to be scheduled by way of a meeting rather than things coming up and getting worked through more organically and in a sometimes less structured way.

I take take your point. Stich in time etc.

But its "unplanned" work. What suffers with "unplanned" work is "planned" work. That would be my main problem with "less structured" approaches. It what project management and change process management strives to reduce to improve efficiency. Unplanned work makes you reactive. Planned work makes you proactive.

Some of it is virtue signaling.

Obviously some things work better in person. But I think it can be over stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

When was this happening? During the lockdowns, like? When the advice was "work from home if at all possible", these guys were swanning into the office, working away, and then perching on each others' desks (and those of any other staff who happened to be in) or bringing everyone into a room for a brainstorming session when issues arose? (I'll assume they didn't do so just for chats, like...)

Strikes me as quite reckless behaviour, needlessly risking spreading Covid like that. Not a very good impression of a management team, who you'd expect to be more risk averse when the risk was so easily aviodable.

"at all possible" is open to interpretation.

To be honest you can engineer a case for anything.

You dont know what business they were involved in, suffice to say if they wanted to make a case for being in the case was easily made. And a lot of the scare mongering around covid had abated as well.

Back to my original point, planned work tends to be the preserve of more junior staff or people with defined responsibilities, as your responsibility grows your ability to plan everything diminishes as you often have to react to new information, new situations etc.

Firefighting is some excuse for poor planning.

• Advertisement

I have heard that trotted out more than once on this thread, i put it down to peoples lack of experience as to how things go further up in organisations, to think a CEO or CFO will sit down with a day planned out and nothing will come up that could derail that or take precedence is fanciful.

If you have the CEO or CFO involved in firefighting issues, then you've got bigger problems and there is 100% a problem with the management style and structure of the organization.

They get told about issues, the impact of them (quality/service/cost) and the solutions being implemented to prevent reoccurrence and the impact of those solutions (Q/S/C again) and the expected gains from those solutions.

Impacts to their calendar are different

I never used the phrase firefighting, but again i think your post describes a utopian ideal, i haven't seen it exist across multiple companies and industries, your mileage may differ.

and impacts to their calendar are also a by product of some of these unforeseen issues coming up. Most CEO's i have worked with will jump on a flight at short notice to sort an issue face to face with a bank or a supplier or customer or whatever it is, as thats a quicker solution than people in management positions thrashing it out for weeks with each other across 2 organisations.

These were generally very successful companies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The company I work for, which is the leader in the sector we work in, are entirely remote, the CEO worked from Europe this year, and works from different places on a regular basis. Executives had to meet, and still do meet, remotely like they did when Covid arrived. I don't think anyone is saying in person interactions have no value, but they don't have better value over remote, Zoom, Slack at all.

What proof is in this pudding you talk of?

This pudding paints a very different picture -

Another of the survey’s revelations: when people have the chance to work flexibly, 87 percent of them take it. This dynamic is widespread across demographics, occupations, and geographies. The flexible working world was born of a frenzied reaction to a sudden crisis but has remained as a desirable job feature for millions. This represents a tectonic shift in where, when, and how Americans want to work and are working.

That study doesnt answer the question i posed. In fact all it does is say that people like flexible working arrangements, did i argue otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Possibly not, but you are implying in person interactions has some sort of 1-up over remote, when this isn't the case, at least in tech and support roles. Both my current and previous places of employment are entirely remote, my previous place didn't even have an office to go to to work from, it never had that. It was remote before it was cool, you could say.

And on that, everything was planned, every meeting had an agenda, we had OKRs for each quarter. One of your posts mentioned things coming up "more organically and in a sometimes less structured way.", this was avoided to keep teams aligned on what needed to be done and by when.

The water-cooler decisions or chats in the hallway are where teams lose sight of what is happening when decisions are just made adhoc. You saying it is some sort of advantage, it is a terrible way for a team to run UNLESS you are an early stage start-up of some sorts.

You're literally describing creating firefighting that can only be solved by even more firefighting. What's worse it will cascade.

Maybe thats not what you meant, but thats what you described.

in my opinion, and my experience, in all walks of life in person interactions are better than remote, that study doesnt disprove that, it just says people like remote working.

Your experience differs thats fine, im not trying to convince you otherwise.

Your description of work sounds more like a remote assembly line type set up for the modern day to be honest, im sure its not, but thats how it sounds.

i guess these multi millionaire CEO's and founders didnt know what they were doing 😀

I imagine they will be surprised when they find out....

• Advertisement

That's micromanaging. Should be no need for a CEO to deal with those kind of issues unless is a very small company.

Advertisement