Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Club Championships 2022/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Leinster senior championship will be interesting with a few news teams in it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I caught a few seconds of the Cavan county championship game on TV last night.

And I had to ask myself, were the All Ireland finals brought forward to the middle of July so that we could have club quarter finals in the pissing rain in October?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mad that it's the first ever given that they are always near enough the top and it's a fairly small pool.

There's some pretty confusing formats around the country. Galway and Dublin have 2 senior championships, Tipperary with all there division championships which eventually combine together

GAA really love to complicate things

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wexford senior football championship quarter-final: Castletown 3-15 Kilanerin 0-7.

Natural order is restored. The biggest talking point pre-game was the fact that Kilanerin's manager was over Castletown when they won two county titles (and was at the helm last year), so going over to the dark side was a bit like Klopp going to United. I think its the biggest winning margin ever in a derby between the two, which is mad considering Matty Forde played against us in his pomp on a few occasions.

Semi-finals next week see Castletown play St.James, and reigning champions Shelmaliers (with Eoghan O'Gara in toe) against St.Anne's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath SFC Final will be between Summerhill and Ratoath, a repeat of the 2019 final where Ratoath won their first ever title. Summerhill dethroned Wolfe Tones 1-10 to 0-5 while Ratoath never had to get out of second gear to beat Na Fianna 3-11 to 0-9.

Both teams have had two different styles this year. Ratoath have been formidable going forward (16 goals in 5 games) while Summerhill's defence have only allowed an average of 8 points per game.

One of Navan O'Mahonys or Seneschalstown (who have won 6 senior titles between them in the past 15 years) will be relegated to intermediate.

Dunshaughlin will play Duleek/Bellewstown in the IFC final and are looking to come straight back up having been relegated last year.

It's really not that complicated.

Senior 1 is obviously the top and senior 2 is next then you are in Intermediate after that.

No different to AIL S1,2 J1,2,3 and then real junior rugby after that or Englands Prem, championship, L1, L2, conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭supernova5

almost all the leading counties have their senior club championship teams featured live at varying stages by TG4 or [RTE2 in last couple of years]

am wondering why Galway senior club hurling gets practically no live coverage on either on TG4 or RTE

not sure if its because by the time their championship reaches the knockout stage other counties are at Finals and by the time their final is played we are already in club Provincial series so that then would take precedence over anything that's happening in Galway

maybe its something got to do with the Galway county board having a policy in place

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

I’d imagine it’s because Galway GAA are streaming their own games again this year, quite successfully too, very handy option to have when you can’t get to some of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,484 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya Tipp are steaming every game that isn’t televised over the knockout stages

My assumptions are just logistics for Galway matches or a perceived lack of interest

Are they really getting less games on TV ?

It's a rare true dual county whereas most other hurling counties will get little or no football on RTE. Also their sides won't feature in a provincial championship so might look like you see them less.

Kildare Senior football final this weekend but TG4 decide to show Donegal football final (no problem with that) and a quarter final from the Kerry championship this weekend which is ridiculous. Between them and RTE you think they would try and show every county final that is played even if its deferred coverage

GalwayLurker,I’d imagine it’s because Galway GAA are streaming their own games again this year, quite successfully too, very handy option to have when you can’t get to some of the games.

yea like what Breezy said, almost all counties are streaming their own county club games now, anyway even before Galway GAA started streaming TG4 never did live coverage of your senior club scene

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

They were awesome took a good Kilcormac Killoughey team apart.

They been losing semi and quarter finals for years but this year the stars aliened, and they got to the promised land.

Great for them.

Kilcormac Killoughey had a few old guys and a good few young guys but not enough in the right age true be told. Still, they left 3-9 behind them in the 1st half and Shinrone took full advantage.

hmm, that's interesting, left 3-9 behind them, with the very brief TG4 highlight show on Monday evenings its very hard to get a true reflection of how a game has panned out. I notice there was a bunch of Cleary's playing for Shinrone, could you tell me if they are sons of the Pat Cleary who played for Offaly in the 1980's? [especially 1985]

Things starting to take shape all over the country in the Hurling

Finalists will be known everywhere except Galway and Limerick (both in the later stages of there senior championships) by the end of the weekend

Kilkenny senior final- Ballyhale vs James Stephens

Clare senior final- Ballyea vs Eire Og Ennis/Sixmilebridge

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was at the Westmeath IFC final today. Game of two halfs. Some shithouseary by Shandonagh would make Tubberclair the faculties for reply next Sunday.

As a blow in, it was nice to be apart of the community which no one like the GAA does.

yea throw in the two Tipperary Semi finals and a Limerick Quarter final and for the second consecutive Sunday TG4 have all day coverage of the bloody big ball.. What's going on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They had the Kerry and Donegal SFC finals listed, showed Kerry and now Laois. But they never changed the EPG, still giving the details for Donegal.

A draw in the Louth SFC final, St Marys Ardee and Newtown Blues Drogheda 1-12 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Was thinking along the same lines myself. (but was afraid of being labelled a crank or conspiracy theorist)..😁😁

The Limerick hurling championship is now down to the last 4, yet not a single game has been televised. And it's highly unlikely that the semi's will be shown also. I would have expected that a county having won 3 A.I. in a row would surely have a club game or 2 televised at this stage.

Sports editors must be "big ball men".....!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Unfortunately this is Ireland and there's no guarantee whatsoever with the weather. Today i was at a game with about 4 layers and an umbrella and still got soaked. Yesterday i watched a game wearing a shirt and sunglasses.

This year's Munster final was played in atrocious conditions on June 5th. Last years was in burning heat in July.

One thing i did note was that underfoot conditions were very good for October and most games are still high scoring.

Are the senior Football and Hurling finals in Dublin both the Kilmacud and Na Fianna ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. It's unprecedented in the Dublin club championships.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Trim won their 28th Meath Senior Hurling Championship, beating Ratoath in the final who remain without a championship since 1963. Trim look likely to dominate Meath hurling for a while as their underage sides have been dominant at underage level for the last number of years.

Naas retained their Kildare football title and won their second football and hurling double in a row.

and just for good measure Ballymacarbry have only won their 41st successive senior club in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

So much for the split season and playing the All Ireland Senior Inter County Championship finals in July. We will still be having the latter stages of the All Ireland Club Championships in the depths of Winter.

• Advertisement

22/23 club finals scheduled for the January 22nd with the AI football semi finals fixed for the weekend of 7th/8th Jan

Atm the AI Hurling Semi finals will take place on the 17th/18th December but with that been so close to Christmas there thinking of having them in January instead

Advertisement