Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Golf Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I'd have thought a lot of enthusiasts would know their lofts, maybe not each iron exactly but certainly what their 4/5i is and their PW/SW if included in the set. I don't know how you could buy wedges or hybrids/woods without that knowledge really. Its one of those things about golf that makes me laugh where you have 4 golfers on a tee box, one could be using blades with traditional lofts and the other SGIs you'll almost always hear someone ask 'What did you hit?'. I compare myself to regular playing partners because i know for example their lofts are the same and they're typically a club longer than me but without knowing the people you are playing with and their clubs its a bit of pointless question. My 4i is 20d and PW is 45. The lofts are a bit odd in their sequencing in that theres not much between 4-6i, then 7i is 4.5d and from 8i-GW is 5 degrees but it works for me anyway. I have seen game improvement irons with crazy jacked lofts though, PWs closer to 40d but you do read that the launch characteristics of those clubs counteract some of that stronger loft. When i got fit earlier this year there was very little difference in distances between the irons I tried despite differences in lofts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

On twitter today, Brysons lofts. Crazy jacked up numbers, 25 degree 7i

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Gives a bit of perspective to his distances - not as stupidly long as some would think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

But he hits the ball incredibly high doesn't he? Normal lofts might be daft for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nah a 4 degree gap is nothing. Especially if you hit both clubs well. I wouldn't touch a thing there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

And with the shafts all being the same length he'd need lower lofts.

But the 5-wood I don't understand, what makes it a 5-wood?! 13.5 degrees??

The fact his three wood is probably 9 or 10° I guess!

I've been saying for a while that it's time to just put the loft on the clubs, not a number as it's meaningless now.

Think Ping did or do have a set with just lofts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I see Peter Finch has his Adare Manor video up and in typical west of Ireland fashion its torrential rain 😏 just as well he's not paying the green fee!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

that's all to do with his ego si he can claim to hit a 9 iron into a green that everyone else is hitting 6 iron too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hold on a minute

bryson now calls clubs by the traditional numbers as opposed to giving them all names??? 😂

edit for anyone who didn’t know

https://www.golfmagic.com/pga-tour/bryson-dechambeau-has-names-each-his-irons-and-wedges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

that has made me vomit a little bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I played it the week after he was there and just watched the above video mentioned.

It looks good on video..but my word in reality it's so much better than it looks in the video. Makes me wonder when you see a truly spectacular course on video/youtube how good they must actually be in real life!

I'm sure if the sun was shining it would have looked alot better. Hard to justify the green fee if you've to spend 5 hours in the drench.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭boccy23

Liked the touch of bringing out multiple towels. Assume that wasn't just for Finch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

A good example of loft differences is the Mizuno Pro 223 and the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 923, both irons I like the look of. The Pro 223 Pitching Wedge is 46 degrees and the Hot Metal Pro is 42.5 degrees of loft,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Those are 2 very different sets of clubs though to be fair. One is a players/tour type iron and the other is a game improver. You'd find similar differences in all the brands if you compare those types of irons. Titleist T100 is 46d, T300 is 43 and T400 is 38!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭AyeGer

That’s the point I’m making, some people don’t have a clue as someone mentioned above. They’d be comparing 7 irons off the tee without having a notion one has a much stronger loft than the other. Chances are the guy playing the players club would know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Why do lofts matter at all if you know how far you can hit it?

Quick one here

Competition last weekend - Girlfriend entered and shot a good score on the Saturday

Sunday was a wash out - Since then it looks like the comp was cancelled since they don’t have the results up yet (but have newer results up)

A) should the golf club go out of their way to contact her about giving her money back? I think they should. If someone had shot 28 points and wouldn’t bother checking results, they mightn’t even cop it. Only reason she has noticed is because she shot 41 points so wanted to see the results. Even if not directly contacting, surely an email to all participants etc or a Facebook post

B) does the round stay valid/counting on Golf Ireland? I’m assuming yes

C) I’d question it anyway how many people they require for a comp to be ‘valid’. Time sheet was fully booked up the Saturday and course was open the Sunday, so not sure why results can’t be published anyway

If the course didnt close on Sunday, then the competition should have stood. Players could have played Sunday if they wanted to.

The club should be sending out an email to all members saying that the competition was cancelled and to seek a refund or to simply have their next weekends game of golf for free.

Her 41 points will stand and she will get a nibble on the handicap

I hate clubs that do a 2 day competition.

if sheets are full, no reason not to have separate comps on each day

• Advertisement

Most competitions are sponsored, so if you dont have a huge amount of sponsors, you run them over 2 days rather than a separate sponsor for each day

Thanks lads - I had same assumptions as ye (fwiw I hate two day comps too, weather differences aside, especially now since you can check people’s entered scores on Golf Ireland before you tee off)

Some places might have a ‘minimum’ number of entries for a competition to be valid, but I’d be certain that those numbers would’ve been achieved on the Saturday alone anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

2 day comps aren't ideal, but they're not all bad. Some people can't play on a Sunday morning. It's nice that they can get to play in the comp too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Our club cancels if one day isn't playable as well. I don't think it has anything to do with minimum numbers in our case... Rather it probably saves a lot of hassle in terms of guys complaining about wanting to have a crack at the prize, or someone fighting for player of the year points etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭token56

It will probably be down to the competitions committee but in our club once a minimum number have entered and paid up the competition results stand regardless. Last Sunday we had our medal and there was as many people that returned a no score as finished. It ended up being won with a net 75 because of the conditions and the result stands, rightfully so. Some people weren't happy but those of us that did play shouldn't be punished because of those that didn't.

Hence the reason why you've separate comps on Saturday and Sunday.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Exactly

a competition can be run with as little as 20 people. Prizes don’t have to be cars! Simple €30 pro shop voucher for the winner.

and I don’t buy into the can’t get sponsorship bluff. €5 to enter comp will give a % back for first/ second etc.

Exactly that - If she'd have even gotten a €20 pro shop voucher for winning (if she was the best score) she'd be happy out

It's the thing now of it the comp was actually null, players that maybe shot 28 points etc that mightn't have bothered checking results, do they even know their entry couldn't have won anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My club has the 2 day competition due to numbers with Saturday morning seen as the overflow, I don't see the issue with it. It seems to work well.

The Saturday time slots from 11am onwards are generallly set aside for societies which bring in cash for the club that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Got a last minute invite to play the Island today. Worked out perfect as I was off work today.

Looking forward to playing it.

Advertisement