Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Sorry, forgot how pedantic you were. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It may as well be this thread as what else is being discussed on it...

First of all we need to remember that the figures for 2022 so far are not age or population increase adjusted. The actual excess is likely to be significantly lower because at present you are comparing raw 2022 figures with figures in part from 2016 (2016-2019 + 2021).

There's no evidence it is due to immune system weakening. Many kinds of viruses were suppressed by anti covid measures, these are now back in circulation. But there doesn't seem to be a spike in deaths related to non covid infectious diseases.

It is unlikely to be vaccine related as the variation across countries is not explicable in relation to the vaccine rates in the country.

If heart it is likely a combination of long covid after affects and \ or missed medical involvement.

If cancer it is likely to be missed medical involvement.

We need to remember as well that many vulnerable people took extreme precautions during covid. Restrictions are lifted. People are back living normally, going on holidays, pushing themselves etc ... some of the deaths we are seeing in 2022 are people who in other years may well have died in 2020 or 2021 from strokes, cardiac failures etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

You're well up in your research, even though we've disagreed sometimes. I appreciate the work you put into these discussions.

You look at all the variables and don't leave much out.

That's how people like myself who start off with knowing less, get to read other's post's and see the other side of the discussions.

You made some interesting points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

It was your own choice, based on our previous discussion, not to converse with me on topics such as this, which I thought was mutually beneficial and was happy to keep it that way.

I dismiss the notion that phenomenon of unexplained excess deaths is due to implausible causes such as heatwave or ageing and am very much against the ‘here is your explanation, now move on – nothing to see here’ approach to it. This is that kind of a simplistic and shallow thinking that got us into the endless list of ridiculous measures for dealing with covid over the last few years; measures that some would argue caused more harm than good.

Problem like this requires second level thinking and consideration of combinations, permutations and thinking in terms of probabilities. What you suggest as a cause for this is for sure far more plausible than other causes mentioned so far here. There is indeed research suggesting that early strains of the virus may have had such a harmful effect. The same ‘experts’ also say that this is highly unlikely to be the case with omicron now. On the other hand we have those ‘experts’ who claim that vaccines, especially mRNA, can have serious adverse effects and cause cardiovascular injuries, and describe the risk as significant. If we speak in terms of probabilities, to an objective eye, both causes seem equally likely/unlikely at the moment.

Personally, I think that there is a number of factors at play – one or both mentioned above, plus genetics and/or lifestyle etc. Engaging in an argument of whether it is infection or vaccines will not lead anywhere. It is not as clear cut and it is too soon for that. We can however dismiss a number of other standalone factors, as it is easy to disprove causal relationships between them and the observed phenomenon.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

If we take this further and hypothesise that covid indeed causes cardiovascular deaths, one could ask why pharma did not pick up on this yet? Surely one would think that this in itself present a great opportunity to make money. As powerful as they are they would be easily able to push the narrative through the media and get us all line up for the jabs. A line like: ‘take the jab or risk a heart attack’ would surely be a great motivator now that omicron isn’t. It ain't happening yet for some reason.

• Advertisement

Why is 'experts' in quotes? Significant risk of vaccine causing cardiovascular effects? This is a claim without foundation.

If you are going to make such a claim and talk of probabilities, provide data or you are just spreading anti vax innuendo.

Why are you pretending they are the same 'experts'?

To talk of 'experts' in quotes without qualification is deliberate muddying of the waters, so spare us claims of 'an objective eye'.

Have you seen the difference between an excess mortality figure before and after it is age and population demographic adjusted? It is a significant difference.

It is not 'implausible'. It is an essential action taken in order to make comparisons across years.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I didn't want to be sucked into the debate again but myocarditis are pericarditis are listed as recognized side effect of the vaccine. Even if the ratio was 1 in a million we cannot deny that 1 in a million was caused by the vaccine, stating the opposite is simply not true.

However the ratio is way more than that, and seeing how they counted previously the death toll and hospitalized with covid/by covid, I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were skewed to support the cause.

Anyway let's assume that all the cardiovascular issues are a direct consequence of covid and only covid: does that mean the vaccine is not that effective as they claim? I mean I got vaccinated with X doses but still I got covid without knowing it and now my heart is permanently damaged, additionally I topped it up with a drug that is recognized to worsen that condition can we at least get a 50/50 cause between virus/vaccine? And what about those with a pre-existing known or not known condition?

All this unless we want to bury our heads and deny that we have an excess mortality, or we want to justify it with the heatwaves, or still we believe at all the numbers/recommendations that were thrown at us during the past 2+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Read the post that I was replying to to get the context. 🙄

Yes.

That was the outstanding takeaway.

Both were fairly fit and active.. Yes very old but very simplistic to say they were end of life.

Sure why bother about vaccinating or taking care of elderly relatives at all, if that is your thinking?

The point is that elderly people do not retain immunity, nor are they able to replicate antibodies themselves.

Hence the need for over 65s to get boosters that younger fitter people do not necessarily need.

That is why that age group turns up in hospital.

If course you " don't want to get sucked in ".. Thats why you keep posting this stuff from the antivax playbook.

Everything you have said there is not only untrue but has been proved time and again to be untrue.

You posted an old out of date leaflet the other evening that you said said the vaccine was not recommended for childten. Of course it wasn't it was an adult dose.

You never acknowledged your ''mistake' when it was pointed out to you, nor have you acknowledged any other studues which debunk yours, so why would anybody engage with that.

That is a mean put down to somebody trying to explain something to you,

And shows that you don't know how to listen when someone is decent enough to take the time to reply.

Yeh, carry on.

• Advertisement

Wow, showing yourself up again!

Did you even read the post before you threw that out?

Not in the slightest. By their logic if one article in the entire world covered excess deaths my point was invalid. Its hairsplitting and being deliberately obtuse.

Have a look at where The Guardian gets its a lot of its funding and you wouldn't bother reading it either.

Anyways, any actual counter-argument to my actual post showing there is a link between cardiovascular issues and the vaccine?

You didn't show anything. You "just asked a question". That doesn't prove the premise.

There is a link to minor myocarditis. Nothing to indicate a link to increased risk of cardiovascular issues causing death.

And to your point about - maybe the vaccine should have protected against covid induced heart issues. Well, we don't know. It could have made the difference between the person dying of covid and been left with long covid with a future higher risk of death.

The Guardian is one of the most read newspapers / websites in these parts. You said NOBODY was asking the questions. I easily disproved your claim with a few seconds googling. The similar BBC article has already been listed on the thread. These are major news sites and one of them was written by a public health expert. There is nothing obtuse about it, and it is utterly disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Minor myocarditis...damage to the cells of the heart...good one. Call me old fashioned but I thought a vaccine shouldn't cause the same symptoms as the virus itself.

Keep up the good fight anyway. You only seem to know whatever you're told and seem incapable of questioning anything. In fairness, you're not alone.

Covid vaccine causing cardiac conditions like myocarditis and pericarditis after first and less after 2nd dose has been proven but is in tiny amounts compared to the damage done to all organs including the heart by Covid infection itself. This is an article about a more recent study showing the numbers are even smaller post booster dose.

Nobody is ignoring or hiding this. It is stated on the vaccine information and those at highest risk are advised to take it easy (eg no training) for a few days post vaccination

This is not a new phenomenon. Flu vaccines carry a similar risk but the Covid vaccines reach a much larger demographic so its effects are more noticeable.

There are many very well known and accredited studies on both sides. There are also articles which have been roundly debunked coming from antivax / CT sites which not only misrepresent the data but also the results. Many of these have been withdrawn.

On the point of odyssey's excellent posts ( a lot more patient than me!) he /she gives examples of studies which you dismissed out of hand.

Now I could easily produce many other studies and articles from everywhere and go to the trouble of posting them here, and have done before, but why when you and others are not even reading them without dismissng them out of hand.

At least bad2thebone had the grace to listen to what odyssey was saying.

@odyssey06 great posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

You say that it's simplistic to say they were end of life, is it not even more simplistic to say that a 2nd booster saved one 80 year old and not getting a 2nd booster killed the other?

Age is the overwhelming factor in your sample case, the 4th vaccine (which doesn't protect from Omicron) is likely to be the lesser factor.

I never said that at all. Yes age is the overwhelming factor in the lack of immunity , but all things being equal a booster could help. By 78% apparently against severe disease .

Vaccine effectiveness in older people wanes about 28 days after it has been given but is very effective against severe disease and death .

And yes the new bivalent vaccine is the best thing around now , I do agree with you, corcaigh ! 😁

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20220929/COVID-19-booster-shots-essential-for-maintaining-long-term-immunity-against-infection-in-older-adults.aspx

Edited to add link .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,494 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Covid infection has a 250x higher risk of causing myocarditis in young males (12+), in other groups the risk is 1000 times or less risky than covid infection. Myocarditis and pericarditis are common side effects of all virus to varying degrees, vaccine induced myocarditis is also much less severe than that induced by a virus (it is generally a side effect of an irritated immune system).

As is oft repeated, no one is saying that the vaccine is 0 risk, or that any vaccine is 0 risk. What all studies have in common is that the virus (any virus in fact) is always orders of magnitude more risky for every single group, young children, old people or anything in between.

Those are the simple facts.

And no amount of being curious or puzzled or hoping for inquiries that validate the extreme positions some people took, or continue to take, will change that (or those who try and rage against the system because they don't like being told what to do).

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

I'd thought better of you, ...antivax playbook, of course is not true, is better the study you linked based on a bunch of autopsies

This study was able to get deeper insights using actual cardiac tissues collected during autopsies from seven COVID patients from Brazil, two people who died from influenza and six control patients.

The dose for children is 10 micrograms, as somebody else said, while the one for adults is 30: since they are supposed to take 2 doses plus booster, that makes exactly the amount of drug not recommended. But nevermind the numbers, let's vaccinate every child from something that doesn't affect them in the slightest with something that might permanently damage them, antivax playbook, page 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,494 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You probably know this and are being deliberately silly, but that's not how dosing works. The vaccines aren't drugs for one (another popular anti-vax refrain by the way) and completely leave the body within days of injection so when the next dose is administered, you're starting from 0 again (the antibodies that save your life will be present as your immune system produces them, not the vaccine).

Some treatments do inject the Antibodies directly, but it's not as effective as the vaccine, requires multiple treatments and is a lot more expensive.

This is an attempt to discredit the vaccines with deliberate misinfornation.

A 30mg dose is one go is entirely different to 30mg distributed over months.

Its like saying max dose of paracetamol for children is one go is X. Then saying paracetamol is dangerous because you can exceed that with several doses in a day.

So no, you dont just get to drop antivax misinformation onto ths thread then hide behind a smokescreen like 'never mind the numbers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Dr. John Campbell - Covid symptoms change

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Was going to reply to this misinformation, but see you and astrofool have already set the record straight, thanks!

It just proves that the antivax playbook doesn't extend to basic infornation about how the vaccines work.

@darconio maybe read the actual up to date lleaflet before posting next time.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Good to see ZOE data but he is behind . UK cases have gone up 25 % in the last week .

Also the decision by the NHS not to test asymptomatic admissions to hospital is another instance of UK going against what was learnt about hospital breakout clusters of infections just because they now say they " are living with the virus " , and nit listening to the science . Just following the path of least resistance .

When they get large hospital acquired infection will they change their minds again?

Fact is while younger fitter people might be able to fight off an infection transmitted with a low viral load , this most likely would not be the case for the majority of elderly unwell people in hospitals .

One would hope that they at least try to keep these untested people away from anyone vulnerable or not vaccinated / boosted .

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Still waiting for the Twindemic to kick off.

ICU holding steady at 11, slight uptick in hospital cases at 433.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

darconio threadbanned

Joseph A. Ladapo MD, PhD, State Surgeon General of Florida as of 7th October recommends against the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines for males ages 18-39 years old. This is on the back of the fact that “there is an 84% increase in the relative incidence of cardiac-related death among males 18-39 years old within 28 days following mRNA vaccination" and that "with a high level of global immunity to COVID-19, the benefit of vaccination is likely outweighed by this abnormally high risk of cardiac- related death among men in this age group.”

https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/20221007-guidance-mrna-covid19-vaccines-doc.pdf

@astrofool , @odyssey06 , @Goldengirl I presume this fella and Florida Health Department must be yet another desperate loons pushing the anti-vax narrative, right? I mean they must be as we all know that vaccines are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Its coming out in drips that these things are dangerous. So as there's going to be no panic or backlash.

It's the only way, imagine the panic if it was all over the newspapers.

It started out as a conspiracy theory. And the egotistical people who are oppositional to anything thats a potential conspiracy wouldn't comprehend that they were possibly used as guinea pigs for what's questionable as one of the biggest medical experiments in history.

The rest is history. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

He’s been anti vax for a while. Ever since he’s gotten the job he has refused to order vaccines for the state, recommended against them. This has been going on for over a year.

Let me ask you this, why have the other 49 state surgeon generals not made the save recommendations as him? not like what he is saying is one day old. Like I said he’s been on this since he was appointed.

Here’s the study he’s on about if you want to read it. It is already being questioned.

Advertisement