Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Latest word from PAS (received at 2pm today) is that there have been 19 candidates called for clearance so far in Batch 3 on the AP panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donoghues

Does anyone know when the results of the current interviews are out?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I assume that is both open and inter-d, because I am number 10 in batch 3 and have not heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

Hoping it would be this week.

When did you do your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Results are out now for Batch 4 (the last round of interviews 2/3 weeks ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Would think so. I asked about both streams and they came back with the one number.

Do you mind if I ask when you got your Batch 3 results please? Trying to work out how long I may have to wait on the Batch 4 if they get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 donoghues

just got them there, didnt pass 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Same here for Batch 4 which was 2 weeks after interview.

Did well in interview part but not so in one of the SAE competencies. Serves me right for throwing it together the night before it was due for the sake of it!

Sorry to hear that guys it’s taken me at least one extra competition to get this far you will defo get there especially after everything you learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 KR65

Got Results today from batch of interviews held on 12/14/15/16 sept.

I made it through so onto the Dublin panel I go. Sorry to those that didn’t pass, keep the faith & try again.

I’d be moving from the private sector so not fully sure how exactly this works now & would be grateful of any guidance.

Can I ask PAS how many on the panel ahead of my one or are we slotted into the existing panel based on our score.

With 10 months to go until the July 2023 deadline, can any more experienced people hazard a guess on the chance of getting an offer ?

Post edited by KR65 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Seosamh25

Hi All,

Im not currently in CS. I got Batch 4 result Dublin yesterday - placed 50s in Open and 30s in InterD. can you help with these q's

• how do they assign the numbers on the panel when they do successive batches i.e. was there people at a certain number after Batch 3 and do they get bumped up or down if someone makes the panel from Batch 4?
    • not sure how im considered for the InterD panel when i'm an outsider - am i likely to be thrown off that one?
    • thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Seosamh25

got batch 4 results yesterday around 430 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 21 QuestionsAnswers2022

Hi,

Congratulations to everybody that passed on B4 results. Commiserations to those that did not, but always stay positive.

I passed batch 4 and placed quite high on the open and interd panel.

Do we know a total for how many were on the B3 panel?

For existing civil servants, what is the clearance process like?

I have been in my current department for 4 years and can provide references from the 3 managers I have had in that dept. Or does it all go through the local HR unit?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kknative

Unfortunately, I didn't make it this time, but first time through to the final stage, so it was a learning curve.

Congratulations to those who got through and best of luck in your new departments.

Happy to say I made the panel. This was my second attempt, didn't even get to interview last year. Commiserations to those who didn't get it but do keep trying, it's all about practise.

I don't know how many were on the B3 panel, not sure if it's something PAS would divulge but given there's 10 months left I would be confident of getting promoted from B4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stephanie123

From an earlier post it was 7 from InterD and 14 from Open so from that I'd surmise its 19 from the Open

Hi,

No I think that refers to the number called to clearance stage from the batch. I know there is 20 odd anyway.

Thanks though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Might be of interest to some on this thread who are current civil servants:

On the 'Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working' thread ( https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119611314#Comment_119611314 ) we've been looking at what's on offer in different departments/employers around blended working. I ran a survey on this back in June, which is now outdated as departments began releasing official blended working policies. There's a new survey available now, from here: https://forms.gle/55tQJ3FcP68Zn2KA7

No personal info is collected, don't include any identifying info in answers, please. The last question is free-form text and I'll post up some of the interesting responses on the above thread unless asked not to. Or if they're defamatory. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Helix1234

There is 70 odd in total in Batch 3 with PAS currently at OOM number 20 on the open panel.

Going by these numbers would people think they will be moving onto batch 4 early next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Rainbowstar

So this was not my experience at all in the 2020 competition. If you are external and do not choose Dublin, chances are very limited imo.

I was placed very high on the open panels for my two regions. The panels expired before I was appointed after all my hard work and I did really really well in the interview. If that was the luck of the draw, fine, but on further investigation I discovered how weighted in favour of inter-departmental it can be.

In one region it was 70% inter-d appointments and only 30% from the Open so I was at number 1 when it expired. That's a very slim chance and nothing like this is informed in the information booklet - at least local authorities are clear on their internal bias.

Infuriatingly I was top 4 (4th) in my other region but they appointed 5 positions all off the inter-departmental panel. They appointed zero off the open so i had no chance. After all the work this was a bitter pill to swallow.

I complained to PAS who basically said it's down to the Department's or as they call them "Client's" requests. So basically if Departments request off the inter-d panels then that's that. No one monitors this either. Now one can say that perhaps they prefer people who know the CS but I see it more as not wanting external skills and different views coming in - in some Departments - I know some are very progressive but some are not. I'm speaking from knowledge from family and best friends on that point.

Really unsure if I'd bother moving ahead at this stage as I haven't been called for my regions yet and it'd likely be the same thing all over again. I think it's a sad state of affairs in 2022 when regional Departments can be that biased to interdepartmental appointees. Worse than that though is the lack of clarity about panels, ratios of appointments etc in the information booklet for the Open candidates. If you tell me it's 70/30 and I still choose to apply then fine. But to allow people believe they have an equal chance is plainly wrong.

I got my clearance email last Thursday evening, I'm number 10 oom inter-d batch 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That is absolutely infuriating all right, and you have my sympathies. The 1:1:1 ratio is what is supposed to be applied for the AP grade, and IIRC that's as a result of agreements with unions.

I did find this, where it was raised in the Dáil: https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2018-10-25/122/ so apparently it is measured by DPER, and may well be worth raising with DPER to find out why procedures weren't followed and what recourse you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KR65

Hi,

I emailed PAS clearance email. They will advise on how many are ahead of you and what numbers they are working on for the clearance process at the moment. So for anyone that is curious about placing, you should get plenty of information.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lucky1974

Hi Helix is that 70 in batch 3 figure accurate? Apologies for been unfamiliar with the distribution process but does that mean 70 suitable candidates dispersed through open , inter departmental et for an unspecified number of positions- if yes - then would it be reasonable to assume batch 4 panel will highly unlikely be called by the july 2022 close!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 proFriendL

Batch 4 oom 40's Open, Dublin. . Hope to get called at some point 🤞

Post edited by proFriendL on

• Advertisement

I think the figure 70 is not accurate as in there will be people on both panels eg a serving civil servant could be number 5 on the inter panel and number 10 on the open. So they're counted twice. Open to correction on that though.

We're just shy of 43 weeks until 31 July 2023 but yes if you're not on a Dublin panel there's a chance it could expire before you're called. If you're on a Dublin panel I think there would easily be enough vacancies between now and July with retirements, promotion to PO and resignations.

Advertisement