Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AGER

A bit disappointing only 2 or so in the last week, after the increase the week before. Still an average of 5 per week since B3 interview results.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Thanks for this.

In case anybody knows for sure, just wondering if PAS reach the end of the interdep oom before they get to the end of the open oom on Batch 3, do they just continue onto the Batch 4 oom for interdep while working their way through what's left of the open oom on Batch 3? Or is it a case of exhausting a batch fully before they move on?

Yeah hopefully it picks up speed, I expect a lot of retirements after this month as the last pay restoration and pay increase are applied this month so any one close to retirement would benefit with a larger lump sum

• Registered Users Posts: 21 QuestionsAnswers2022

I asked them this as I am on B4. They will exhaust the B3 panel in full before moving to B4 regardless if they have to pull from the open. So I would assume the interd on B4 might move first.

Thanks for this that’s very helpful I’m also in Batch 4, this saves me a future email to PAS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ebenes

Yes there seems to be a definite slow down. Hopefully it picks up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭plasticheart

I see AP 2022 has been launched already. I would like to think this means the 2021 panels will be exhausted well in advance of the July expiration.

Sorry, can't seem to delete the quote above!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanf88

Just as an FYI, I am placed number 2 on the open stream in Batch 4.1. I had deferred my Stage 2 video interview from the start of July and completed my interview 2 weeks ago, got results last Friday.

I spoke to Pas yesterday and they confirmed that there are a total of 94 candidates before they would get to me. That was based on them only reaching the OOM of 35 on the open on the current bacth

Just to update everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21 QuestionsAnswers2022

Thanks for the update!! I was not sure if they had moved on to B4.1 or if B4 was it. It think that sounds promising that they must be aware of a lot of potential vacancies to fill, otherwise I would not think they would have created so many panels. Was B4.1 for Dublin only? They never provided a placement for my regional location on B4.

Here is hoping they speed back up a bit, as someone else mentioned with the pay increase a lot of existing APs that were close to retirement date, might retire now 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanf88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Does anybody have a link for 2022 AP thread or has it been made yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DoctorDre

Could anyone advise what the fortnightly take home pay would be at point 1 on the AP scale for a single person please?

It would be about €1,708 per fortnight, you can use two free websites for those kind of calculations one is tax calc and the pwc income tax calculator.

But if you are an existing civil servant and you get the job it would be point 2 you start on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

No, it wouldn't be. You start at point 1 unless you're already on a higher civil service salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭doc22

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fearanoileáineile

Forgive me, but trying to figure out this number. Using the pwc calculator and factoring in the pension levy, it comes in a good deal higher. What am I missing?

The rules on promotion state you are entitled to the point nearest your point on the scale as a starting point then plus 1 point for the promotion. I’ve been through the process twice already it’s always the same ie co to eo, eo to ao, ao to ap it operates the same as you are an existing civil servant regardless of higher or lower scale before you get promoted. I’ll link a circular later if you want a copy?

If you click civil servant at the beginning instead of PAYE on the calculator it does the breakdown for you when you click into the deductions under 2022. All new entrant civil servants have to pay a portion of their pay towards their pension that’s why ppc scale is higher than non new entrants it’s about 2.5% or at least it was not too long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭doc22

That's not the wording of the circular.

"Where the minimum of the new salary scale is greater than existing pay by an amount less than the first increment on the new scale, the officer may enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment."

If you are a heo on 59k and get Ap which starts at say 70k(point 1) you would move to that point. I'm not sure what you mean regardless of Higher or Lower scale?

That’s not the way I read it see point two , if you need clarification you can always email paysales at per to clarify

https://hr.per.gov.ie/en/corporate-pages/career/promotion/#article-section-starting-pay-on-promotion

• Advertisement

Nope. At lower grades, where there's some overlap between pay scales, you effectively move to the nearest higher point. There's no extra "plus 1 point for promotion", though. As the AP scale starts at a significantly higher point than the top of the HEO or AO scales, including LSIs, you're starting at the first point - unless you're coming in from some non-standard grade, like architect or solicitor.

By all means link a circular, though - as a relatively newly promoted AP, I'd love to be proved wrong!

Hi Tauren, looking back when I went through the last promotion it was eo higher to ao standard so you could be right. The wording on the gov.ie website makes it unclear as it appears to be a short summary of the circular but the full circular makes it more clear I may have looked to the gov.ie version as the over riding version mistakenly! Sorry about that you’re right it would be point 1 sorry to get any one’s hopes up!

Dammit, there goes the new TV for Christmas! 🤣

No worries. Some of the DPER circulars, you'd need to be Alan Turing to decipher. I've read and re-read the circular on carrying over leave from Year 3 half a dozen times in the last week and I'm still no clearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

The main thing about the AL cycle is that you can't carry leave out of year 3 without losing some of it - or more frequently, most of it.

That's unless you get a full exception (only available on an individual basis if you were on sick or mat leave for the majority of year 3).

If you change departments can you bring your leave with you or do you lose it?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kirbi

You bring it, but it might be recalculated to fit a new leave year.

That is, if you move from a Feb-Jan year to an Apr-Mar one, they'll have to do a bit to fix it up - you shouldn't lose any leave from this though.

Brilliant, thank you for the reply. I had raised a case with People Point a few weeks ago but I'm still waiting to hear back. Good to know.

Give them a call. They're notoriously slow to deal with helpdesk tickets/emails.

Any updates on where they are on the batch 3 panel this week please? 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Did they ever appoint anyone for Westmeath/Roscommon from this ? I think I saw mention of video interviews for the region back in the summer

Advertisement