Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Only 4% of houses with smart meters are on smart plans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

i can download the smart meter info into a spreadsheet it looks like from the ei website

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

our estate had smart meters installed last year but we were omitted. Now we are having solar installed and we are told to get the smart meter. I thought it was essential bit of kit for exporting excess back to grid? Also we would like to be able to charge up the solar battery with that cheapest nighttime rate. Eventually I found out that we had been rated a 'vulnerable' customer and that was reason we were omitted! And more research on same they told me vulnerable meant 'elderly'! So to get that removed I had to contact provider (Airtricity) and then get back to ESB. Now I am told it will be several months before a letter might be sent about getting a meter installed. Oh give yourself plenty of time if you wish to contact ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm currently taking timed readings of my meter to get a picture of usage before I decide to switch. Have to get to work on the spreadsheet but I can only see an advantage where I put a timer on the immersion and heat that at night for a couple of hours & have hot water every day (have it any way during the winter with the heat).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I won’t be opting in.

Who’s to say another price band won’t be brought in for 5-7pm for smart meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Advertisement

What’s the name of that plan?

If I stay opted out I can’t get charged extra for usage between 5-7 yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

We should be and soon we will be paying a big premium for using electricity for 5-7PM. It's typically the dirtiest and most expensive electricity and we simply have to either cough up or stop using it.

As an example BGE have Time of Use (ToI) smart plans. Their peak time (5 to 7pm) rate is about 10c per unit higher than their day rate.

You can only be charged these rates if you have opted in to their smart plan.

ok.

Gas is a clean transitional energy though and we are building more gas generation in dublin.

Why isn’t the onus on the providers to provide clean energy during 5-7?

Maybe they could provide clean energy if we allowed nuclear to be built in Ireland as everyone knows wind and solar on their own don’t cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to be clear here cobham.... your saying your actively attempting to get a smart meter installed? What do you have right now? Normal 24 hr meter, or D/N.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go as far to say that gas is a "clean transitional energy", for sure it's better than coal or oil, but at the end of the day it's still a fossil fuel and even with the best co2 scrubbers in the world, your still damaging the environment to some degree with gas. It's important to clarify that as what we don't want is gas to be spun as sort of "ok".....but I get where your coming from.

I do think nuclear would be the way forward. Lots of different options here that we didn't have 50 years ago. France are operating since the 60's and have no major incident. (A few minor ones though which do get brushed aside)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm one of the 4% and I'm not a fool.

I did my analysis and for me it results in significant savings. I have low enough electricity use and have an EV, the EV makes up a significant enough portion of my bill it is worthwhile to get the very cheap rate to charge it, I can then run other appliances during that period too.

That said I can see why it doesn't make sense for most.

Can't analyse usage easily without having to sign up for a smart tariff means you don't know can you make it worth your while

Too much stick not enough carrot, if going to charge premium need to make cheaper rates decently cheaper.

Yeah I was being a bit facetious by saying it was a clean transitional energy but I think the EU have designated itself and nuclear as such.

I don’t agree with paying the extra money between 5-7 because even if all our electricity was somehow produced by renewables (won’t happen until we crack the mass grid storage issue), the strike price of wind in the latest auctions are hugely inflated- so we won’t get decently priced electricity from wind.

This is before we factor in the construction costs of offshore wind!

The auctions for that haven’t happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

But if we are encouraged to avoid using power between 5 and 7pm it ultimately leads to less new power plants being built, whether it's coal, wind or nuclear etc.

This means less expensive electricity overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭cobham

Normal 24 hr meter and very ancient fuseboard that am happy to see the back of. Next car will be EV so will have that option added in down the road. I thought the smartmeter was a nobrainer and trying to get info on same and decide on which energy provider would suit our demands. There is a good array of panels so should be able to export decent amount even it seems a charitable donation to the common good for the moment.

Yup, curbing peak loads will indeed get rid of a few power stations, which (in theory) does mean less expensive electricity.

I'm not affiliated in any way with any of these companies, but there are smart people working in Eirgrid, ESB networks, the suppliers (although sometimes you would question it - LOL), they wouldn't have spent billions (that's with the "B") on converting 2.5 million homes on a "whim"! To think that they are somehow idiots cause the uptake in smart tariffs is 4% is probably misguided.

They know the score. They've done the research. They've seen the experiences of other countries in Europe like our friends across the lake in the UK when smart meters rolled out there and the savings that large scale deployments create. They know the tariff systems which work to achieve those savings.

The whole 4% is a temporary onboarding cost/situation. The optics look odd, but they just don't want the negative spin of backlogs etc in installs for people on the bread line wanting to save a few quid on a cheaper tariff.

No it doesn’t because wind is getting more and more expensive as seen by the latest strike prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

At work my desk neighbour was telling me his provider has been messaging him about needing to take a smart tariff plan. He hasn't done anything about it yet he was looking for advice. I confirmed that he doesn't have to switch to that more expensive tariff.... the relief on his face. He could not understand why they were so insistent he switch when it looked to him like it was only more expensive options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Yes but if we spread our consumption more evenly we will need fewer new power plants so lower relative costs.

So things will get more expensive but ultimately smaller increases due to less capital expenditure.

Or look at it another way, fewer blackouts as if there is a potential big shortfall they can in theory jack up unit costs a lot so people use the bare minimum during the critical hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The french will soon have all their reactors in line again, they must be laughing at the rest of us.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭curioustony

When I switched it to a smart plan it saved me ~€800 per year. I looked it up. Several rises later, the landscape has changed -- not so good for me. Not foolish (@unkel that clearly irked me), just unlucky.

Will we call the D/N folks fools if the plans all change next month (or next year if you are lucky enough to have a fixed rate) and the night tariff doubles? I won't. Will I change to a D/N meter now if I can? Yes, the rates are much better for EV or load shifting.

I have a fairly classic hourly usage profile:

With solar and a small battery (5kWh) in summer I almost completely avoid the peak rates even though this is my peak usage too -- both smart plans and D/N meters allow for this. The D/N is more generous and at the moment has more favourable rates (esp. at peak times). Can you guess when my cheap rate is?

In winter, well less solar:

Short of cooking my dinner in the middle of the day (or investing a lot of money) I'm shelling out for the bad electricity in winter.

The best any of us can do is to know our numbers and shop around frequently. Solar definitely takes the edge off.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I hope the data centres have a smart meter fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Apologies @curioustony - you would have been the last person I'd call a fool. I was just expressing my delight that "the masses" didn't automatically accept a smart plan that would have been more expensive for them. Of course smart plans already make sense for some users like yourself. Smart meters are necessary and they are a just way of charging people based on how expensive the electricity is that they use.

I'm looking forward to getting one myself and getting paid for my actual export. My curve would be similar to yours, I would import tonnes of electricity at night (charge EVs, battery, heat house, heat water), import almost nothing from the grid during the day but export all my solar

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MV33

I bought a 2020 new build with solar panels.

im told we already have a smart meter but we have no idea what we are supposed to do.

We are with Energia

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭curioustony

No worries @unkel great thread.

I'm still trying to maximize self consumption. Hoping that we follow Germany in the budget and exempt FIT income for tax purposes.

Meanwhile some of my energy is going on escaping the MCC12 designation... Unless they change the rates again. I suspect the CRU accelerate could be glacial.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

im on a smart plan.

what it gives me is the power to see exactly when im using electricity so i can make adjustments as necessary.

from my readings of the last 20 days its showing me that im right to have selected the plan im on with airtricity.

our heaviest usage times on average are between 8pm - 10 pm, and only 4 times during the last 20 days did our highest 30min usage occur within peak time. We went for a high unit tariff at peak times, lower than average at off peak, and low at night time.

Accounting for the same period last year we used and average 450 kwhrs.

this year we used 383 kwhrs, so a 15% reduction in usage

Will you get paid the FIT if you have not opted in while having a smart meter do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Really don't think you can attribute any of that saving to a smart tariff. Anyone that has sat up and payed attention to their bills on the last year has began to learn how to save money and reduce usage.

You can save the same and even more money by staying on a cheaper tariff and changing your habits. It's great that you are doing that but it's not the smart tariff that's helping reduce your bills

• Advertisement

What plan are you on with Energia? You bill should show the details. What's the MCC code number on your bill.

Advertisement