Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yes , concealed firearm carry is still legal in the north , obviously hoops to jump through but very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I swung into Keane's in Limerick city yesterday hoping to get a look at the Tudor BB pro & the new Pelagos. No joy, no Tudor in stock in Limerick but they could give Cork a shout and have 1 transferred up if they have stock.

Even Limerick's only real approximation of a Swiss dealer is pretty much a satellite rather than a stand alone.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I went into hour passion in Kildare village to see about a longines ultra chron diver. No chance, he checked online, it's not in the pipeline to them nor likely never will be. They did have some certinas that caught my eye, in particular an ana-digi. I must have a look online.

The Sinn U2sdr has finally arrived in Limerick, caught for VAT on it though so that's the shine knocked off my week 😕

Still, a few pints tmrw might even lift the misery that the CL results inflicted on me 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Was at a big tech event today, mostly in the crypto-related space.

Was talking to two relatively young chaps today (under 30) in big tech, one had a 36mm Explorer, the other an all black GMT Master, 40mm.

Was nice to see two relatively youthful fellas with some fairly classic pieces, and notably in the smaller sizes.

The rest of was a sea of fitness trackers and Apple abominations. ;)

• Advertisement

I've had a 2nd hand IWC 21mm bracelet delivered this morning. How did I not know about the nifty micro-adjust?

Push the logo on the clasp and you approx 1cm to play with. The link removal is cool too.

*I may be quite easily pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 19,880 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no i think its one of the best bracelets in the business now, its a joy on my PC41 i must say, well built, easily adjusted and this one has the benefit of the easy removal as well.

are you putting it on the spitfire?

Yeah it's for the Spitfire, I've not fitted it yet but already from just handling it? It really feels a very pliable, comfortable and now I know about the adjust button 🤣 really adjustable over the day bracelet.

I remember a discussion a few years ago regarding straps v bracelets. If IIRC @Fitz II said if the watch has a bracelet option, always buy it. It will always cost more to get one later than at the time. (Apologies for the paraphrase).

He is 100% right, I sized and fitted the bracelet to the spitfire today. It transforms the watch. On leather I was always aware of the watch wearing high and the deployment clasp added to the height esp with a thick strap. The bracelet just eliminates that, everything sits so much better. A watch that struggled with a tight shirt cuff on a strap? Slides under it on a bracelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

dont have a g shock atm. only 2 of my watches are on straps which are short straps. as the g shock strap is very long can they be changed does any one know?

thanks

• Advertisement

Depends which model - some are screwed in and can be changed as normal , others are formed into part of the case and are difficult to change .

thanks Scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

you can buy a 3rd party adapter that lets you fit a standard strap to them, etsy sell them. The ones i have seen work with 5000x models

Post edited by funkyouup on

have a few quwstions with regard to adverts, some one might be able to help,

can you delete an add? or even comments on the add.

thanks

Roy

So i used P&P to sell a watch for me (Rolex day date 36mm on leather), i wanted to get out of it for what i paid (circa 10k)

They were ok at the start, organised the sale with Gavin, i set the price with his agreement, they then listed for way higher, i asked them to reduce it which they did a bit but not all the way.

Stayed there for 6 weeks, told them to bring the price right down to my minimum, left it for a few weeks, happened to be browsing the site, see its marked as sold! emailed to ask what the story was, oh yeah, we will transfer money to you once the return period has ended in a week, funds arrive the next day.

all in all it worked out but they certainly dont give the impression of being organised or well run (and its not as if they have a vast stock). Nice people and all but youd like to see a little more order and organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭893bet

Gavin is just incompetent. But overall that seems par from the course from them.

jesus its not that hard, answer an email, follow up on a sale, how many watches a day could they sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

i sold my datejust back to them in January - gave a quote over the phone. Brought the watch up to them - they said they'd keep it for 2 days to see if the timekeeping etc was in spec.. all grand.. talk to them couple of days later and they were doing a bank transfer to my account.. for whatever reason it didnt ever come through and eventually nico did a transfer to my revolut (uk iban) on a saturday and included an extra 200 pounds for the hassle.. i don't know how to feel about dealing with them.. they weren't super responsive to queries etc and i had to chase them a lot before they transferred the money - they did give me what i thought was a strong price.. almost 12k euro (sterling equivalent) which was nearly 2k more than bought it for 6 months earlier.

ultimately i got what i wanted out of it too, but the difference between dealing with them and say watchfinder (not a fair comparison but still) is night and day. they just seem all over the place which is not what you want when you have an asset worth a reasonable amount of money in their possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I like the lads in P&P very nice to talk to. But yes you have to chase everything. Get the impression the business is running very close to the wire all the time, a sort of Ponzi scheme but without any mal intention. Their cashflow doesn't seem to be great

I had a similar experience including the watch been listed to high, I sent a request to reduce the price and it was ignored for 10 days. The I just pulled the watch. **** em.

But like I said I suspect it will be come a side show to YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,062 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There seems to be a massive cash outflow to mansions, Ferraris and private jets and God knows what other T&E 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

It is extremely rare in this day and age that any business tells you they will do a thing and then goes and does it. I find with everything that you have to chase and micromanage. Businesses are more fond of telling you about business than actually doing it. But also people can also email all sorts any time of the day or night and put people to unexpected work without a moment thought. Still I love when somebody say they are going to do something at some time and they just go ahead and do what they said at the time they said they would do it. Excellent service is is rare and wonderful.

yeah its a double edged sword really.. i have figured out over the last year or two not to bother people outside of business hours or weekends any more... building trade especially.. before i could whatsapp a plumber on a saturday about asking for them to fix something the following week and they'd generally get back to me that day and make an arrangement but they wont now.. i think it just annoys them so i wait till the monday to try and arrange the job.. everyone is entitled to their off time.. i guess whats more annoying though is a lack of response at all.. especially when you have something of value in the conversation

Customer service in the Irish building industry is rare. That's mainly though because on the residential side of work most tradesmen are just self employed individuals as opposed to being an organized small business -" Paddy in a Hiace "I call them.

Thats a cute name for a sole trader, did you think that up all by yourself?

No , I had to get the whole company involved and we had a brain storm in the conference room ,took us all day.

Really?!?, I thought it was all you.

• Advertisement

My best friends is a fairly talented chippy. A perfectionist to do a job.

but a **** nightmare to get in touch with or to get a commitment out of.

Waiting since January for some new fitted units and some wall panelling. Finically got it started 3 weeks ago and it’s dragging on as he is clearly juggling a few other jobs and has them all started. End result is no one is really happy!

But the pain of getting a job done is long forgotten once it’s done and the quality is top notch.

“Tommy in a transit”

Advertisement