Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They might get away with it if other greys do the same. As someone mentioned a flipper will have to pay more for their Rolex now, so they probably expect more when they immediately sell to a grey. Who will then up their prices to maintain margins. That said, I doubt there will be any substantial increase in grey prices. But if you plan to buy, you might as well buy right now. Agree with @Fitz II that the no date submariner is about the ideal watch for many people. With the sub you will also be the least affected by any price drops the market might see. It's the ultimate one watch collection watch really. People call it a "one and done". The newer model is also imho the best sub ever, very well proportioned and a good size

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Yes. Same as any buiness

Price and supply of new cars impacts the 2nd hand prices.

Any new prices confirmed.

I see rumour of a 6k Sterling standard speedmaster pro on TZ. Omega can **** off forever.

That. Speedy is a £3k max watch. And a Tudor would be a much better buy than that for similar money. Omega have lost the plot.

Mind, I do have stronger and stronger feelings for a Planet Ocean 45.5mm. Quality substantial diver. Not sure which one yet though. Never tried one on either. Anyone in here have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The planet ocean 43.5mm GMT has been on my list for a while, as has the Ceramic 45.5mm I do think that both are overpriced at retail tho.

The new Pelagos is interesting, I will take a trip into Keane's at some point to see if they have one to try. I want to get a look at the new bracelet.

Yes all Omegas are way overpriced at retail. I should just hop into Dawson's to try a PO on the wrist, some have told me it wears funny (not in a good way). If only they had a sunburst blue dial with orange bezel, I'd be all over that. Big sunburst blue dial diver is where Rolex is letting me down. Love the pre-ceramic bluesy, but it is just tiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I think the speedy is much nicer than the tudor chrono , better movement as well .And the omega seamaster is technically a better watch than a submariner. But apart from those two ,I would agreed that Omega have lost the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Could be wrong but I think Panerai prices have gone up 5% on their website - Luminor Marina 44mm gone from €8200 to €8600.

9% increase on one I’ve looked at on Irish site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

• Advertisement

@unkel you seem to know a little re: Solar and battery storage. Apart from the very handy thread on the renewables sub-forum, where else might I glean some more info? In particular on speccing and sourcing components and battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

A curious one, looks like only the UK & Japan got hit with the Rolex price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Really? Nothing US side.

With Uk inflation as it is…..is it not technically a price drop…..lol

Hardware, particularly inverters, are hard to get now from Irish suppliers. Try the 2 big ones though, solartricity.ie and midsummer.ie. As you can imagine, the world and his wife suddenly wanted solar PV when electricity prices were exploding earlier this year

Also it very much depends what to get. On what house you have, what sort of roofs, what budget, what electricity usage you have, what are your plans, are you going to stay in your house forever, do you plan to get one or more EVs, etc. Is a quick financial return important. Your best bet would be to just start a new thread in the renewables forum and see what suggestions people have. Or if you are uncomfortable with that, PM me and I'll do my best to help!

@Fitz II - "Try one of these"

Great watch, perfect size and weight, but not very blue. I like a sunburst blue watch. Glorious

Perfect, even on the large side on an average or just below average 6.5" wrist like this, the lug to lug taking up the whole width of the wrist:

But it looks like a girls watch from more than 30-40cm away if you have a "slightly bigger than average wrist" (is that better?) like 7.5-8". Way worse than this relative close up shot, but you get the idea, I guess how a 36mm wears on an average wrist:

Panerai have you covered ! Perfect size and a sunburst dial that’s 2nd to none.

Been there, remember I had the PAM932? But a Panerai is just not on the same level. And the ladies in my life hate the look of it 😂

White gold old 40mm sub is expensive and too small. Looks sunburst in that picture but is more a flat blue colour that doesn't do it for me. Blue-Z Milgauss is cool and classy and nicely different, but it would never be my main watch. And even though it doesn't wear as small as the same size sub, it's still...too small and too formal and the wrong blue. Love the blue sky dweller, but it is hype and overpriced. Datejust 41? Very nice. But I'm a bit too young for that, only in my 50s 🤣 Maybe I'll grow into it though. Must go try one one. In fact I should put that on my wishlist 😁

I could do with dropping a size myself but I don't think it would make my wrist any smaller it just bone there 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I was in Belfast this morning and called into Lunns to see if they had the new pelagos.

It looks tiny versus my hand in this pic for some reason but it was a really nice size and well proportioned. I’m tempted by one.

I forgot to check the t clasp out bar just trying the watch on!

I was actually thinking about the new Pelagos and how Rolex have moved it down in size and the ceramic bezel and some other design cues and improvements.

It IMO becomes a decent alternate for the 39mm no date sub. It slots into the range nicely as the starter watch on the Rolex path and the size reduction does suit the watch IMO and it competes very well with Omega at that price point.

I had planned to swing into Keane's in Limerick today for a look.

Not particularly after one but just out of curiosity.

Jonathan makes a howler about the James Cameron 😂

Thanks for the offer and I may well take you up on a pm at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Ladies? Just how many have you on the go?! 😂

Seriously though, the Pelagos 39 is a lovely looking watch, had been lining up to pull the trigger on a BB58 very soon, and now having to seriously reconsider. Think the Pelagos just nails the diver aesthetic to a tee in that price range.

Anyone see Nico’s latest video ?My previous comments of him maybe starting to feel the pinch soon due to watch sales slow down was well wide of the mark.His new house is impressive by any standards.Reinforced steel internal doors would make you wonder who owned it before him .

Makes Oisin and his rented apartment look even more comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That’s what I took from the video anyway .

He certainly didn’t buy it from his pride and pinion wages

• Advertisement

In northern Ireland, might not be uncommon for people to have higher than normal security measures....sure a prison officer needs to live inside a tank there at times.

In rewatch he does not every say he does, but I would say he is doing well for himself, but who knows, its hard to know on social media whats real and whats "fake it till you make it"

Thats a bit grim, if I am reading that right then stock is nearly all on long term credit? Although he may be his own creditor? I never trust company accounts to tell you much. People swap things around companies and personal as it suits.

Advertisement