Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done IP, no more fishy fingers on you at the weekend anyway. Looking forward to following your career.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feckin' brliiant IP. 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Great story @IrishPlayer.

Is it all watch talk during the day and what are the backgrounds of your co-workers?

Post edited by Gavin1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wishing you all the best for the dramatic change you have taken in your life. Really hope it works out for you.

A really interesting read too.

Saw a few belting looking Bremont over recent years, wondering do you get good discount as an employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭rx8

Omg, what a blast you must be having. Absolutely amazing journey so far. The pictures are fantastic. I wish you every success with it IP.

It was a brave move. Well worth the initial effort you put in to reap your reward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Super job - fair play for following the dream. I am sure an ineteresting career lies ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Might see an Irish player watch in 20 years time…..

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Thanks all for the messages of support 🙂

@893bet The career path in Bremont will have me work my way up in Assembly, 3 handers, GMTs, chronographs. Then every year there's an opportunity for 1 person to go to the British School of Watchmaking for the 1 year 1800 hour WOSTEP course to become a watchmaker where I will move upstairs to the service center servicing and building the movements.

@Gavin1 Just like my last job, the conversations can be about anything 😁 last week we were discussing great WW2 movies, Von Ryan's Express a favorite of mine 😉 But it's great to chat about watches as well, one of the assemblers worked in a Seiko service center in Maidenhead so you can only imagine with my love of vintage Seiko, the questions I had!

Apart from the one assembler that worked in Seiko, the only other that had previously worked on watches is a guy that started along with me in July that worked for Timpsons , like fast fix. The backgrounds of the others are mixed, engineering,retail, construction most never worked on watches before.

Funny enough most watch companies prefer no previous experience in watchmaking as less chance of bad habits etc.

@NIMAN We do get a discount on watches, 60% off RRP on most models excluding special editions etc. Something I really like to see given my grandfather's watch he got after 25 years in his job is a length of service watch. Starting after 2 years of service, we have a " Wear Watch" policy, basically given a watch that we can wear but don't technically own. Start at 2 years with the basic models, then 5 years, 10 years we can choose a higher end models.

One of the things I forget to mention was that I attended the festival of time that was in Waterford back in May. For some reason I didn't take any pictures but it was a great weekend. All independent watchmakers from around Europe, got to meet John McGonigle again after last meeting him back in 2020 at the talk at Engineers Ireland. First time getting to meet Stephen along with several swiss watchmakers.

It was a bit surreal, I was invited to attend a dinner with all the watchmakers and there families. Sitting there in the Granville hotel at a big table chatting with swiss watchmaker's was quite the experience!

Found this picture of the event, * look closely and I'm in the yellow top behind John 😁

Here's a group shot of the watchmaker's and the orginazer Johnny McElherron

I was chatting with him and John about talks regarding setting up a new watchmaking school in Ireland. Apparently the Mayor of Waterford was interested in a school set up in Waterford but the same issues that saw the old one close still exist today, lack of demand for students in Ireland, employment, getting the funding/ teachers.

The thing that finally convinced me that this was the career for me was after attending the week course back in February, not only did I enjoy studying/ working on watches but watching John Murphy teach was fantastic,combine it with my meeting with another teacher,Karl Fitzmaurice of the former Irish school, a teacher in watchmaking is something I would love to do later in life after gaining real experience and school training, maybe by then a school or even some kind of short course will be set up again in Ireland.

Really enjoying it so far, still feels like a dream, everything is happening so fast! Loads to learn in Bremont in assembly, will be attending the annual watch fair in Birmingham in two weeks. Then in November I'll be back in Nottinghamshire at the British Horological Institute to attend a week's course in servicing automatic watches.

Once again, huge thanks for all the support, will try to be more active on here going forward! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Rumours of a Rolex price increase from Sept. 1st. 5% on steel models

Thinks it’s pretty confirmed. Same with Omega and a few more. I think it will be more than 5% and they will assume inflation will continue. Good for those holding I guess but bad for industry overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's irrelevant. You can't buy steel sports from Rolex ADs anyway. Might close the gap a tiny bit between retail price and the real price, which is based on supply and demand and is not going to go up because of a price change in an irrelevant list somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Might actually increas availability a bit as it further reduces the flippers margin so more people may not take pieces when offered. But really it likely not going to make any real difference.

Worth a mention though. Second price increase this year. Rumour is 5% for steel models, 7% for two tones, and 10% for precious metal models. Fingers crossed it does have a positive (for the buyer) impact on grey market prices

Just on Rolex, what are peoples opinion on the Date Just? I had intended picking up a Submariner in the next few months but I’ve found myself liking the Date Just more & more. The brown dial, steel/rose gold, fluted bezel 41mm. A little more expensive but a stunning looking watch IMO.

Why do you think it might bring grey market prices down? 😂

Grey market prices are dropping on the majority of models, another retail price increase possibly making more available could have an added impact on the grey market, no? Just trying to put some kind of positive spin on it 😁

No. 😂

Retail price has no impact on grey price, yes if availability in the AD was increasing it would bring prices down, but there have been zero signs of that. Also people disagree, but personally I don't see grey prices going down for base (non hype) Rolex steel sport. Not for several months after a huge surge and a correction around the first few months of the year

I see where you are coming from though - wish is father to the thought? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Dont agree with that . A price increase in the AD will increase the price grey dealers buy at and no doubt they will add to their sale price if they can get away with it.If prices keep dropping then AD price increase won’t matter but if prices stabilise , an AD price increase will be passed on through the greys.

I’ve the 41mm sub date and 41mm datejust .Two completely different watches with the sub I find better for daily wear and the datejust more sparkly on the wrist

Pretty much. An increase should slow the drop at a minimum.

Oisin may be able to take the high moral ground yet.

There is no grey market for Rolex in any case. Only a second hand market.

• Advertisement

Yeah I didn't word it very well, if anything it could increase grey prices a tiny bit. Not decrease prices as @UhOh is hoping for 😁

I’ll be buying a Rolex soon enough, of course I hope for a dip in price.

Not just Oisin, the back pack traders are beating the same drum.

So you've decided to go grey then? Which model are you interested in buying? Personally I doubt there will be any significant dip in prices of the non-hype models. But who knows what will happen with the economic / energy crisis situation. If people start to panic, they could be tempted into fire selling their non-essentials possessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I see this morning that Tudor has released a 39mm Pelagos which instantly piqued my interest. I had thoughts of changing my Seamaster 300m last year for a Pelagos, but after trying one on, while I really liked it, found it a little too big on my wrist.

Not only is the case diameter of the new model smaller, it's a good bit thinner too at 11.8mm. That's thinner than my 39mm Globemaster which I find to be a pretty perfect for for me.

So I was straight onto the Tudor website to see the price, already deciding that I'd get it. Only to find that due to the reduced size and thickness, it has no date. That's a total deal-breaker for me, date is one of the key features I look for. Quite disappointed because I think it looks great and the size would be ideal for me.

Watchfinder vid on it here: https://youtu.be/ivJrMsB693U

Yes, going grey. Either the no date Sub or brown dial Date Just.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sub is the better do it all watch IMHO, Datejust is excellent and I am on the hunt myself for one regret selling my old one. Have you seen the new green dial, blue dial and the fluted dial varients....very tasty. Having both is a complete collection. But I would go sub first. I honestly believe its the best overall watch all things considered out there. Date or No date...doesnt matter down to taste.

I think what the new pelagos shows is how restrained Tudor has to be with new models. If the 39mm pelagos was made from stainless it would be very close to a submariner, which might not be bad thing as there's been Tudor submariners before. As it is now its near identical to the Rolex titanium yachmaster .

Yeah I like the blue & green dials with the fluted bezel. Fluted bezel is a must on the Date Just IMO.

• Advertisement

Just on the price increase again, I did see a grey dealer on Instagram mention about adjusting their prices in line with the retail increase. Would this be typical?

Advertisement