Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How should married couples conduct their financial affairs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It sounds too bad to be true.

On 225k PA you would be looking at a combined of around 135 k net PA , that is actually over 11k a month..... net.

On 75k you should be pulling 4k a month. He should be on around 85k or 7k a month.

How are you not able to afford a living?

Are you for real?

On a combined income like that you would and should be forking out for some serious digs in the more expensive side of Dublin, yet you say that your gaff is worth 450k that is circa 2k per month, I don't believe you are struggling to survive on 3 k a month, even with a few kids.

Are you for real?

I assume this blaggard you with is at least paying for half the gaff? What does he be doing with the rest of his money? How could you not know what your husband is doing, how long have you been married? When did his mean streak start, before you bought the house?

Too bad to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

OP I think you are far more concerned about the state of the marriage in general than who pays for what. You’re not happy in the marriage in general.

For what’s it’s worth it seems a little odd you are struggling despite your husbands salary including the fact you also earn too - expensive tastes on yours, his or both sides?

Your statement that you thought he would change when you got married is really telling - you knew that kind of person he was before you got married yet you pressed on regardless. Why???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I’m not a marriage counselor, but as a retired financial advisor, I can say in my experience couples who can’t discuss and agree on their finances almost always end in divorce. Managing your finances is so fundamental to enjoying life that if you can’t agree on it, I’d go so far as to say don’t get married!

To be clear I’m not talking about the accumulation of wealth here, you can experience the same upset and disappointed over the decision to spend 50 Euro as spending 500 Euro. The difference is that this one gets repeated every couple of days, where as other arguments come and go.

There seem to be three common models when it comes to finances:

• Merge all finances into a common pot with everyone taking as they need.
    • keep everything separate and split all bills down the middle.
    • Merge all finances into a common pot with the adults getting a pocket money allowance the same as the kids

The third one probably leads to less tension as no one has to account for how they spent their ‘pocket money’. Thus arguments over such things as charitable donations, political donations, a flutter on the dogs etc are avoided.

Any model works, provided the couple are in agreement and that is clearly not the case with you. And you are right to seek a resolution because if you don’t it will grind you down. However the ultimate solution may be painful as well. Only you can decide what is right for you.

Op, my sister’s husband is exactly as you describe. It is extremely frustrating for her, their money is managed like an emotionless business where every item expense must be shared. I notice it when we go out for dinner, he will order for her and I can hear him telling her what their portion of the meal comes to, so they can split it later.

Initially I worried for her, but he is a genuinely really nice guy, treats her well, is a great father, it’s just that he is rigid about money. She told me it had to do with his upbringing, they had nothing, money was always in short supply and he is afraid that one day they would be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Drog79

Another here where everything gained is pooled, and everything to pay comes from the pool. For large things, we ok it with the other person in case they disagree. And for longer term, we sit down and agree priorities which gives us a guide for where the big money is going, savings or debt.

Like someone else mentioned we've both had periods of unemployment where the other carried the can entirely, and of course maternity, another reduced income time. If we had nothing tomorrow we would likely discuss it the same as when we have plenty. I think the counselling sounds like a great starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I'm the one who mentioned an allowance. Whatever you call it, we each receive a payment from the joint account. My wife gets a bigger payment than me in proportion to what we earn.

We never argue about money and have never missed a direct debit. If we're out separately for drinks or buying something for ourselves we use our own N26 accounts. But everything family related is on the joint credit card and this is cleared every month.

Don't know why people have secrets in a marriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, the high earner should pay more (just like they do in tax), but that shouldn't be expected to be the normal. In the OPs case, they both have high salaries and servicing a mortgage and other essential items should be easily covered with each partner having a considerable amount left over. My concern on the financial side of things is that the OP is flittering money away and justifying the spend because its on the house or the kids. She buys her clothes in pennies. OK....but that doesn't mean she's not spending a lot in pennies.

My OH and I don't have a rigid 50/50 model, but it probably works out about half. She earns more as a civil servant. She has my tax credits which made sense when I was a mature student after a career change. She covers mortgage, most of the groceries and the childcare is covered by children's allowance thanks to family setup. She tends to buy most of the kids cloth too, but only because she is the one to go shopping for clothes. We have more kids than OP does.

I pay for everything else. Bins, Gas, Electric, phones, broadband, cars and anything done to the house, such as decoration or big ticket items like the extension we got done. I end up covering stuff she covers when she overspend on the kids by sending them to very expensive extracurricular activities which I often communicate disagreement over. Its marriage. Give and take and compromise and have eachothers backs even when the other messes up.

The OP needs to make tough decisions about her marriage, but she first needs to be honest about herself.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have my own account as does my wife. We each transfer around 50% of our net salaries into a joint account to deal with household items. The rest I do what I want with it. We are on roughly the same salary.

I wouldn't like a completely joint account where I may need to justify the rare frivolous purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,696 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have never really understood such rigidity and conformance and precision as regards monies between people as close to each other as being married.

Like an OCD almost. Married persons are supposed to be one unit, joined, together, equal , transparent. That’s really what the bond/commitment is.

Sorry, a wife or a husband who is so set in their ways here, rigid and exact, and either deliberately not attuned to their spouses’ situation(s), or ignorantly not attuned, needs clear addressing.

Single most important trait in any marriage, after trust, is flexibility and communication and compromise. And I am not saying independent cannot exist with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We're very similar here.

And I would echo the sentiment. Not sure I could have married without that kind of trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I think the fact that your kids have never been on a holiday abroad despite the high household income is quite sad. I'd start saving money separately and bring them away myself. Holidays are some of best family memories to have and if you can afford a week or two away, you should do it.

With penny pinchers, you need to show them what's being spent. You could do a spreadsheet of income/outgoings across a typical year including all the extras you pay for and highlight exactly where he is not contributing and when you are ending up in the red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,254 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They are out for dinner. He is making sure he isn't treating her by paying for anything she eats...........the meal is not going to cost less by making her account for her half..... Does he send her an invoice for half if he buys her a birthday present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I think there are a lot of issues here.

You want to be a team, so let's start here. You say you have been married for ten years and that you are now in your 40s, so you weren't terribly young when you got married. It might be a bit late in the day, but maybe you should think back to before you got married. Did you not discuss any of this at that stage, or was it a whirlwind romance (you don't sound like the type, but who knows!) Is he usually a calculating type? There are a lot of those in the corporate world, many of them on the narcissistic-sociopathic spectrum.

Another issue is feeling used/left out/disrespected. You really need to work out what you get from the relationship. What it provides you with now, not what it provided you with initially. You might want to balance that against stability for the kids. If he is a great father, would he still be a great father if you lived separately? Coming back to the corporate aspect of your OH's job - do either of you travel much for your work? If the answer is yes - who is away most, and who looks after the kids when you or he is away?

Money seems to be a big problem in your life, or at least in the way you present the situation. You have €225k between you, but as he only contributes on an equal basis to yourself, it is as though you were on €150k, and you say your mortgage is €450k, which is three times this "notional" income. That's not a bad place to be, it should be totally affordable for you. If you can only afford to dress from Penney's and can't afford a foreign holiday, I'd say money is leaking out somewhere - clubs, expensive cars and school fees are two things that spring to mind although there are many other possibilities. Because you individually are on a salary that is double the average industrial wage.

Many families have less than your salary to live on. I'm wondering if there isn't some other aspect of your situation that is worrying you but that you haven't mentioned here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

As a single guy who's not married, I always thought if I got married it was all thrown into the one account and you make a happy homestead. And share everything equally. And nobody has more than the other.

All or nothing is what I was brought up to understand, if my dad was hiding his salary from my mum she'd have his guts for garters. Proper order too. Because he'd be hiding our means from all of us.

This selfish desire of what's mine is mine and your's is your's in a family unit is adhorent to a families primary purpose.

If he's hiding the family fortune, what else is he hiding.

Anyhow if the marriage didn't work out, he has plenty to offer and you won't be left out in the cold. He just made a headstart at saving enough to support his potential exe wife and kids.

Men like this think they're strong, but in reality they're just weak pathetic wimps.

Not man enough to put themselves second and their family first.

Have you an older brother who you can comfide in ?

Men know what's behind other men's agendas, and if I was your brother I'd be suggesting that you have a good think about what family value means.

You might wake him up, but he's a sh1t to be hiding the family wealth or fortune.

Joint account for us. I think anything else and it'd be just bizarre. I know that lots of people do this, but it smacks of a transactional relationship if separate bank accounts applied. How does it even work re groceries etc, would be mind melting

• Advertisement

Wow, €50k for a masters, and sending your kid to the US for surgery at the drop of a hat.

You are living in lalaland, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

This one is a complete no brainer for me.

Set up a joint account and pay an appropriate amount into it each month (i.e. in proportion to your earnings). Pay all bills etc. from this account. Each has a card from this account to use at the shops, etc. At the same time maintain your own accounts from which you can spend from on whatever you please and without consultation, assuming of course that the joint account always has enough funds to cover all required joint expenses.

For larger expenses such as holidays etc. you can top up the joint account with larger payments that usual for that month, etc.

I am baffled why anyone would want or choose to do anything different. It is a great way to control your spending as the worst case scenario is that the joint account will be suddenly empty.

The amount of work required to keep this topped up to ensure enough would be exhausting.

BTW, why get married... tax reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I find some of the opinions on here very strange. I would wonder why some people even bother getting married. My wife earns much less than the OP, I earn a lot more than the OP's husband. We have always put everything into a joint account with each of us getting the exact same amount of pocket money. Pocket money can be used for things like clothes and going out with friends etc.

Not at all. In our case we make a couple of extra payments each a year to cover such things and that tends to be it. Our joint account tends to accumualte money in any case most months.

I find your marriage question very odd. Is that the ultimate definition of 'marriage' now, that both parties have one single bank account? Is there really nothing more to it?

I want us to be able to cover all of our expenses in a fair and balanced way (remember that I said that we pay into this account in a manner which is proportional to our salaries) but we also want to be able to spend from our own accounts without having to have a discussion each time about said expense. E.g. if my partner wants to buy herself a new computer, phone etc. then I want her to be able to feel free to do that without us having to sit down and examine how much is in our pooled together account etc.

• Advertisement

"Is there really nothing more to it?'

Bizzare thinking. How did you come to thar conclusion? Money is only a very small part of a relationship.

But, I may see where you're coming from. My wife and I don't have money worries, so it may be an unfair example. I would still think all monies should be pooled and both have access. Having a chat about whether if such and such is affordable is just one of many conversations couples should be having, rather than how much should we each put in this month.

I think personal money may be more important the younger a couple are, and the less distance they have from their single lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP, I don't think there's a way finances should be treated. It's whatever works for both people and whatever they're comfortable with.

You're not comfortable with the situation as it is and more importantly you can't have a discussion about it. You're a family and regardless of what the household figures are the family are not enjoying what they'd like to because the finances aren't adding up.

But it doesn't seem that that's the only problem. You don't feel respected or listened to in the marriage and it is absolutely worth discussing what your issues are, whether it be between the two of you or with the help of a marriage counsellor. Jim2007's sets out three fair and rational ways of approaching the financial issues. If your husband isn't willing to discuss or consider an alternative to how you're currently living then it's a deeper problem. It's not going to fade away, it has to be addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

What I find strange is that people who have joint accounts are so dogmatic about it. As if a particular financial arrangement were itself the basis for marriage.

How have you come to that conclusion, or does it just suit your bias? And how open are you to joint accounts or are you 'dogmatic'?

In that scenario, whether one half of a couple goes jobsharing should be a decision made jointly by the couple, with consideration to the impact on the family as a whole and on the family finances.

If one partner puts their career on hold or sacrifices career advancement to be a stay at home parent, either full or part time, then this deserves recognition and financial support from the other spouse.

In no circumstances should one spouse be left with nothing at the end of the month, while the other has money sitting in the bank.

OP, in your shoes, I would sit him down and have a hard conversation with him. I would insist on full visibility of his income and accounts, nothing less. If he still won't even discuss them, let alone share them with you, then I would be of the view that he is hiding something, and there would be a big question mark over the future of the marriage.

For me, it would come down to this. He either share his income and accounts details with you now, or he can share them with forensic accountant and/or a Family Court Judge in the form of an Affidavit of Means as part of a separation. His choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

You both just set up a standing order every month from personal accounts to joint account.

If it runs out, you review if there was an exceptional spend that month (e.g. annual insurance payment) to explain it. Otherwise you increase your standing order amount. It doesn't take much effort at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We are married 12 years and have always had a joint account. We just take whatever is needed when we need it from there, seems weird to me that married couples would do it differently. I earn far more than my wife but we're married who earns what just doesnt come into it as it all ends up in the one account.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Until you're at a grocery checkout near month end and the card gets rejected for that managed account.

How about credit cards, how are they financed? Are they allowed?

How about one stay at home parent not earning an income. What personal money will they have?

If 2 people earn similar amounts, have no kids and one has a habit of spending money, then it can make sense to have entirely separate accounts. When you have kids, often one partner, usually the woman, will sacrifice her career and earning potential somewhat. This is for the benefit of the entire family. Whereas if the husband starts earning a lot more and keeps it to himself, it is just meanness in my opinion.

A couple also needs to plan for retirement. Apart from a romantic relationship, a marriage is also a joint venture that involves raising kids and accumulating enough wealth to retire.

I came to that conclusion because one poster used the phrase "not a marriage" and another poster said "I would wonder why some people even bother getting married."

No I'm not biased against joint accounts.

• Advertisement

So, not everybody that has a joint account like you implied?

Whatever dude. Its clear I'm talking about people who are insisting on joint accounts as some posters have, and I've just provided you with verbatim quotes to that effect, so stop taking offence.

I think that some people seem to think that those who do not pool absolutely everything together are somehow lacking in trust, or do not understand 'what it means to be married'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,154 ✭✭✭893bet

why is that laalaland? Did you read my post and understand?

My question is basically “the dude is earning 150k, is he “wasting” it all or does she think he has 300k cash in the bank”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

My thoughts on this are,

if you are a working couple & each earn in or around the same then 50/50 is grand on everything or pool your resources & both work out of it, all transactions visible to both & have conversations about purchases / expenses some people like to spend, some don’t , if one person wants to blow a few hundred on clothes, then the other should get to keep a few hundred to spend at a later date if they wish,

If one income with the other working in the home, keeping the house, looking after the kids etc, then the one income belongs to both of you, after the bills are paid, what’s left is divided between the two equally, jointly save for the future if you wish.

Then the tricky one

If both working, one on 100k, the other on say 40k, 50/50 sometimes doesn’t really work, the high earner may feel resentful at seeing a higher % of their income going into the household, my own personal opinion on this is that you are either in it together or you are not, maybe a little old fashioned……….

If your question was just about his assets, fine.

But where do you pay €50k for a masters? And even if there are businesses that charge that amount for a masters - why would you pay so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I agree with most of what you are saying with regards job sharing and family impact/finances etc. Sometimes however there are circumstances where one partner is just bad with money and manages to flitter it away every month. This is why I said the OP first needs to examine her own spending habits before blaming her lack of money at the end of the month on her husband. We don't know the full story...far from it. Though I suspect that the husband is just a penny pincher, I wouldn't rule out poor spending habits from the OP who has admitted she has a very good income in her own right. With 2 kids and that level of of mortgage, she should have plenty left over at a 50/50 split....so where is it all going?

When I was at college, my Wife was paying the mortgage not much less than that of the OP. She is a civil servant too and we have more kids to feed than the OP. We still managed a holiday every year or 2 on a budget.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod Note

Reminder - as per the forum charter - Personal Issues is an advice forum. Posters are required to offer advice or opinion to the OP in their replies.

Thanks

Hilda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,154 ✭✭✭893bet

while I have no idea what a masters costs these days but 50k over two years to include fees, expenses and accommodation def ain’t out off the question in any city in Ireland.

Why pay so much? Well not all masters are equal. I have a friend who paid 100k for an MBA from some private French school. Let’s just say the doors it opened for him probably makes it look a bargain.

• Advertisement

I'm not insisting that all income should be pooled or all go into one joint account - I think that's up to the couple to decide how they want to manage it, and yes spending habits taken into consideration.

The bigger and more immediate issue for me would be the secrecy.

I do firmly believe the OP should have full knowledge of her spouse's income and finances and she should insist on this. The fact that he keeps this hidden and has until now refused to even discuss them, would be a personal dealbreaker for me.

Up to each couple how they want to manage credit cards, there isn't some dogmatic rulebook.

Obviously if one partner isn't earning, then it doesn't make sense to use that approach. Again, it's not something that HAS to be followed verbatim, it's just a common approach that works for many people.

Is that OK with you?

is it okay with you I find it odd couples have personal money in a marriage?

I would agree with the secrecy bit and it could indicate a problem (maybe gambling?) although obviously we can't say for sure. At the very least she needs to get him to contribute half for things needed for the kids and house. She should also know what his retirement plans are, is he saving anything towards that?

exactly this for us. works just fine.

as far as OP issue goes id not be far off engaging the services of a professional who might advise her how to find out where her spouse's money goes and is. not sure if anyone has speculated where all his cash is going besides but if it isnt somewhere visible in terms of savings, investments or assets hes willing to speak about then......yeah imo youve more than a lack of shared financial outlook to be worried about

one last chance to him to play some fair amount of ball here but youd have to be very clear- this is either a heading for the rocks issue for you or it isnt, if you arent willing to get legal after the next discussion with him then id probably just advise to leave it, theres not many halfway steps left to you here

• Advertisement

Edit: ignore, answer to question I asked was in the opening post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'pocket money ' for adults, really?

Just have your own account with your own money and a joint account for bills. It's not complicated.

call it personal spending money if you find the term pocket money childish.

Its money you can spend on whatever you feel like, without impacting the usual household payments e.g. mortgage, groceries, utility bills etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

During the Celtic tiger I can still remember that disgusting advert by a Bank. It was about a young superficial couple with two dog's.

One dog was named terms and the other condition's.

One of the couple was asking who's taking terms and conditions out for a walk this evening ?

Then I think the advertisement was about terms and conditions for loans etc and how you could be superficial like the couple in the advert. Attractive, intelligent and have two beautiful dog's you can be degraded to terms and conditions on your relationship.

They were gearing people up for their manipulation of fast love,debt under the guise of two cute dogs and a lot of couples I know who read into the bu115hit are separated now.

The banks drew the finishing line and the people who are responsible for advertising are very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,262 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have that too, it's called my salary paid into my personal account.

I really can't get over the amount of people on this thread getting their salaries paid into a joint account, it's actually quite shocking tbh. Seems incredibly old fashioned and controlling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement