Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping women before they hit 25?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Him being Gay seems to fit, though swapping out women at 25 so regularly as Fugue notes has a structure to it that would surely arouse more doubts, as it has. Though their age and rapid turnover does fit the "Beard" angle. In the sense that I would suspect more women under 25, starting out in life are more likely to enter into a mutually advantageous setup like that, where they have the trappings of fame for two years, a bit of cash at the end of it, keep their gob shut and on with their lives. A woman closer to his age or even in her thirties, especially a very good looking one might be more likely to a) want an actual relationship and b) more self sufficient anyway. Look at those "Sugar daddy" setups where middle aged rich guys put women through university, rent free with gifts etc and they're not looking for women in their late thirties.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Women that young would wreck your head. He'd have absolutely nothing in common with them. The latest is Ukranian! Similar to Trump with his latest eastern European wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

He's an extremely wealthy film star known by billions of people, I'd hazard a guess that the young ones ain't there to talk about their star signs or favourite colour. I'm gonna bet she likes expensive things, experiences and clout and he can provide it - probably all the commonality they need in the short term.

And I'm sure whatever Leo says she will agree with, I'm sure they have plenty in common!

It boggles the mind - why would a man who can have a young, fit, very attractive female with no baggage and have the ability to swap them out like changing his socks and choose to not do that and instead go for someone of similar age who has crested the hill.

He's nearly 50, how many women in their 40/50's are drop dead smokeshows with no baggage?

Women that young certainly wreck your head, just not the one you're thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The fact this is such a big news story is weirder than the story itself imo. That a famous film star only dates young women isn't anything new or surprising. The lifestyle of those with Leonardo di Caprio's wealth, fame, career and opportunities is probably unfathomable to most of us working 9 to 5's in order to pay the mortgage.

Seriously, just imagine trying to maintain a romantic relationship with someone whose career means they could be spending 6 to 9 months at a time off shooting on location somewhere. It's a very different thing than your "normal" relationship. In fact, it's probably quite similar to a relationship with someone in the military: another industry with a famously high divorce rate. A more casual approach to relationships where one dates for shorter durations might even be a smarter choice for someone in his position than risking marriage (and the high probability of ending up in divorce court), especially if you didn't want kids. And if you're not planning to grow old with those partners, why not opt for the most attractive ones you can find who are open to this kind of setup?

These women he's dating are grown adults and capable of acting under their own agency. Maybe they're using him for his wealth, fame and the lifestyle that comes with that while he's using them for their youthful bodies or maybe they genuinely fancy him and he them. Charm goes a long way for a man and you can be sure that if he doesn't have it naturally, he's well capable of putting it on.

The nonsense about power-imbalances just seeks to deprive these women of their own agency so it can suit the speaker/author's own agenda (typically the misandry that passes for modern day feminism - where women are always victims and men are always the enemy). There's probably an element of jealousy of the youth of these women involved too. The fashion and beauty industries wouldn't exist as we know them if people didn't fetishize youth as we do and for all the lengths that some women will go to in order to try and maintain a youthful image, there seems to be more than a few angry / bitter women who hate men that find that same youthful appearance attractive. I'd wager that many of those writing the opinion pieces, blogs and social media posts attacking Di Caprio over his preference for young blondes fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

She's getting the obligatory private jet photos for her Instagram so she's happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I think it's pretty offensive to the women who went out with Di Caprio. Lots of people infantilise them as if there is some older man influencing young women who know no better and is too naive/dumb to make an informed decision about who they date.

Leo likes young women. Man likes young women. Earth-shattering news there.

It's a combo of people being more aware of paedophiles and the awareness of older men in positions of power/influence abusing younger women. Then trying to project it. All that matters is that consenting adults are involved and no one is being abused.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Aye, regardless of why he's going out with them(beyond the bloody obvious or he's a Gay chap) you'd swear we were talking about teenagers. They're grown arsed women in their twenties for feck's sake. They're not blank slate robots just saying yes. They're getting whatever they're getting out of it and fair enough. But as you say they're infantalised when it suits and as Sleepy notes this tends to suit the "feminist" types who get an attack of the vapours over this kinda thing.

Hollywood types tend to attract more ire for this sorta thing. Probably because they also tend to be preachy and holier than though Right On types in their pronouncements. De Caprio a good example, wittering on about climate change while pumping out more CO2 in his lifestyle than a couple of hundred Americans and a couple of thousand Africans. Too many of the Hollywood types tend to be real hypocrites. Mick Jagger's damn near 80 years old and his girlfriend and the mother of his latest offspring is in her mid 30's. He caught some static for it, but the debauched rock star thing gives some protection. It's almost expected I suppose? Plus he's with her for a few years.

Forgetting the wide age gap for a moment and as for the nothing in common aspect; personally I prefer having less in common as far as common experiences go. My idea of purgatory would be "do you remember [insert some nostalgic and very local stuff here]". Now I do understand why others would prefer common ground, but I always found it far more interesting to have different experiences on both sides in a relationship. It's why I've tended to be more attracted to and involved with foreign women* over the years.

Though even if I were in his position with the cash and fame I really couldn't see myself even thinking about some woman in her early 20's. That would just feel icky, never mind that I'd be very aware I wouldn't get within a hundred yards of the same woman without the cash and fame.

*and no it's got nada to do with looks/Irish women aren't [insert massive generalisation here] or any of that nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

People can have negative views on things without it meaning jealousy etc though.

It doesn't affect me obviously but my opinion is that it is a highly dysfunctional situation. The women are shameless gold diggers (and some of the "high fives for Leo" lads would have a problem with this in other contexts). And his mechanical schedule doesn't even seem like it's arranged by him.

Men who say it wouldn't be for them don't deserve to be sneered at - that's just another example of "I'd like it, therefore all other men would". Just because a man in his 30s/40s wouldn't be interested in a relationship with a woman in her early 20s, doesn't mean they aren't still interested in women who are beautiful. Of course whether you can relate to someone is important. Not everyone is just interested in sex/appearance alone (these are important - they're just not the only important things for people).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Didn't the reclusive and eccentric Hollywood mogul Howard Hughes - portrayed by DiCaprio himself in the film The Aviator - also have a reputation of dating (and in a couple of cases marrying) young stunningly beautiful starlets only to drop/divorce them as they approached 30?

Perhaps in Leo's case, life is imitating art...

True JK, though Hughes used to curate his own wee in bottles and store his toenail clippings in boxes, so was about as well balanced as a one legged man on a unicycle, with vertigo, three pints down. Then again... 😁

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Method acting taken too far. He hasn't been able to shake off the character.

Hell if he can keep up with them let him have his fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My first lover was way older than I. I knew he felt a bit awkward about it when we were in social situations. Plus I looked and still do look much younger than I actually am. I was 23/25 at the time but prolly looked more like 19/20.

I had a great time with him. A proper Dub and as masculine a man I've ever met. Loved his football, marathon runner, and all round good egg. Fit as f*k as well. He was a whore for the drink as well, as Irish as they come.

He used to lie about his age to me but I didn't care, I already knew he was way older than me from the day I met him. I don't think he was over 50 thought, maybe 45 ish.

Not sure what point I'm making, maybe that young people in their early 20's aren't as naive as we might think they are.

I don't believe that anyone genuinely believes these young women are actually naïve, it just suits their agenda to infantilise them. There's a growing, and worrying, trend in modern feminism to push the narrative that women should never be held accountable for consequences of their own actions. You even have politicians calling for women to receive no jail time when convicted of crimes ffs (despite already receiving shorter sentencing and having far better prison conditions than male criminals)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You even have politicians calling for women to receive no jail time when convicted of crimes ffs

Ivana Bacik?

Well young people - male or female - CAN be naive. And they learn from their mistakes as they age. Natural order of things isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Look at attitudes in this forum and how they differ towards the different genders at the same age. It’s quite cringeworthy at times, for example when someone gets referred to as “creepy rapey” just because posters think their relationship should not be legally permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't know about Ivana Bacik, but certainly in the UK a Labour politician some years ago, I heard her say it live on TV, Dawn Butler, called for women not to be imprisoned due to the fact their crimes were committed in collaboration with men. That was the argument* anyway. Thankfully when Jeremy Corbyn was ousted she has been seen as a liability for the Labour party, and has been made less prominent in their opposition government front bench since.

*so what about men who commit crimes in collaboration with men, then hardly anyone would go to prison.

Yep, she's Ireland's Misandrist in Chief... been at this craic for years: https://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0522/103603-prison/

Labour will be relegated to the "put them after all the other mainstream parties as a buffer for Sinn Fein and the local lunatics" preference from me until they oust her. Which is a shame because I rather like our local Labour candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

That anyone can think a 22 year old in on the same level as a monstrously wealthy and famous 50 year old is either intellectually lazy or naïve in the extreme.

ooo the older ladies must be jealous. Come off it, of what? Some wrinkled ould sack taking advantage of youngsters? He'd have a different woman involved with him every week if it was just about looks. Men are as into their own looks and aging as women. Have you never seen a man in lycra out on bikes, or in the gym trying to get that bod. Wanting to look your best is universal.

In leonardo dicaprios case these are long-ish term relationships spanning years, it's clearly about much more than aging physically. Women are very much still young women at age 25.

This guy has an ego the size of a planet. Those ego's don't deal well with anyone who isn't a sycophant. That's the problem some men like that actually have with women getting older when there's an age gap or wealth difference. The women gradually stop behaving obsequiously, being grateful, overwhelmed and pleased with everything showered upon them. They start expressing their own minds more, expecting to behave as equals in decision making, making strides in their own careers and start challenging that galactic bulbous ego. That's where it breaks down.

I'm not familiar with your relationship history, so this isn't a comment on you personally. (And I'm married to someone from another country myself, so I get what you're talking about on differences in experiences). But perhaps you've noticed this...

Isn't it odd that it rarely seems to be men trying to manage a relationship outside their native country in their non-native language with an older or similar age woman. Usually seems to be an immigrant, poorer, younger, woman, expected to manage the man's language in his local country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm going to have to acknowledge at this point that your username doesn't check out.

If the 22 year old woman isn't on the same level as a wealthy, famous 50 year old man perhaps her vote should count for less than his? Or perhaps we can just accept that she's a grown woman who's reached the age of majority and is responsible for her own decisions.

In regards to the jealousy remark, my exact words were "There's probably an element of jealousy of the youth of these women involved too", not that those women were jealous of the actual relationship with what you charmingly describe as "some wrinkled ould sack" but that perhaps a jealousy of the youth itself (or the ability to attract a famous billionaire) could be a contributory factor in why some women are so keen to dismiss the agency of younger / prettier women.

I'd suspect that you mightn't be that far off the mark with your speculation as to why Di Caprio's relationships fizzle out after a few years (of what are realistically part-time relationships) but not knowing the man or the women he's been involved with that's all any of us can do here is speculate. Let's not forget that this being a news story is just stemming from the judgement of some columnists and those on social media, as far as I'm aware there haven't been any public allegations of impropriety levelled at Di Caprio by any of his exes which would imply that even if they now consider it a mistake to have dated him (and that's a big if) they're happy enough to accept responsibility for their own decision to have dated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

@Count Dracula It is highly unlikely these 23 yr old models are pegging him in a dark room till 4 in the morning.... Far more likely to be getting a fat cheque and hush hush contract from his agents, all they have to do is pretend they are his girlfriend for a certain length of time.

Does it have to be one or the other?

Wow, possibly the most bitter and toxic post I have ever read in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing to do with fame and the great big wodges of cash he has... like flies to shite.

Post edited by whisky_galore on

I did some back of the fag box calculations...

He's had fourteen public partners since he was 19.

Of those fourteen, only three were under 21 when they met.

One was 17, he was 19.

One was Giselle Bundchen (19 and Leo 24) and they dated for five years.

One was Ber Refaeli (19 and Leo 30) and they dated for six years.

In conclusion, 12.5% of Leo's partners have been under 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

Oh gosh, what a worthwhile contribution you've made here. We can all feel truly enlightened by the depth of thought, and the eloquence with which you express those thoughts.

• Advertisement

There was nothing else needed to be said. You are too deeply entrenched in your projecting.

Advertisement