Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2021 Assistant Principal in the Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Curranjo

The date you were given will be when they're starting interviews. I was told Aug 8th when i got results but interview is not until 23rd Aug

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Thanks Curranjo could I ask when did you get your results and then the message to tell you the date for your actual interview? So I have some idea if I should be contacting PAS to say I'll be on holiday to try and make other date arrangements.

I got my results 12th July and invitation to interview on 20th July. A long wait till the interview for me

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Kenrach

Questions are general in relation to the position you are applying for. For the SAE they ask why you chose the specific policies and the reason for the recommendations, costings etc which is based on the competencies of analysis and decision making skills, interpersonal and commitment to achieving results. I hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gadgetman99

Thanks for that. Something that just occurred to me but are the interview and presentations being done virtually or are they in person?

• Advertisement

All interviews are done virtually

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Charles14

Thanks Kentach - very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bangorbrix

Has anyone had any challenges in terms of contract language? I received the proposed contract from my new department and it has two errors - the salary is front the 2020 payscale and it lists the HRA hours of 37 p/w rather than 35. I’ve flagged to the HR point of contact and they’ve acknowledged the errors and said it’s because they used an outdated contract template, but advised that these will be corrected when I am entered on the payroll, but they seem a bit reticent to give me an updated contract.

I don’t know if I’m being pinickity as I’m not an existing Irish Civil Servant, but I’m worried signing the current contract puts me in a poor negotiating position if there were ever any issues with my pay or working hours in the future. Can anyone advise on their experience - have you been offered contracts using the Feb 2022 payscale and 35 hour working weeks or are other departments also still using old contract templates?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kknative

Hi bangorbrix, I work in a HR Office and I wouldn't be too concerned about the out of date contract. We are all bound by the same contract hours and payscales, which is 35 hours per week and the payscale as of 1st Feb 2022. It is very likely that with people working from home and on holidays at the moment, that they just haven't gotten around to updating their template contracts. They wouldn't be the only ones.

All AP's who have never worked in the Civil Service will be on the same banded pay scale, so there wouldn't be negotiations in terms of pay or working hours going forward.

As you state you are an external coming into civil service, you will automatically start at point 1 of the payscale as it is at the date that you start. The current payscales can be found on the following link: https://www.gov.ie/en/circular/ef515-application-of-1st-february-2022-pay-adjustments/

Appendix 1A

Assistant Principal €70,399 (PPC)

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

Should we use referencing when working on the SAE, to show where we have conducted research etc. No mention of referencing in the guidelines.

• Advertisement

No requirement for referencing .. some have used it but it’s not mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Just finished with my interview this morning. Tough experience but fair questioning from the board and they drilled down into examples.

Overall, no idea how it went! Forgot some points in my presentation but hopefully the report is taken into proper consideration as they're contained there. Fingers crossed.

Anyone know when this batch of interviews is over?

Hi Keith

Did you have notes relating to your presentation or did you memorise?

I had prepared a couple of cards in advance but accidently threw them off the table along with the blank ones before starting. Made for a couple of seconds of silent panic at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Betty123.

How long before results issue post interview? Tks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

This!

Also, don’t worry - you’ll probably work more than 35 hours anyway!

From previous experience, it's usually within 1-3 weeks after the entire batch of interviews has finished. Judging from other poster's contributions, there's interviews up until 23 August anyway so based on that would expect to hear anywhere from end-Aug to mid-Sept!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 westy89

Has anyone from the May OOM who has received a declaration, got their Garda vetting through yet or is it going slow atm?

Just finished the interview. Was very tough but fair. They really dont give you enough time to explain your answer in STAR format. its all about the outcome. Not sure if i did enough to pass but felt my report and the Q&A were strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Anna1976

I had my interview last Thursday and my experience was similar to you, they didn't let me finish any question in full, just kept coming with more questions, it was full on and off putting at times. Really didn't feel like I hit the mark enough to pass. Definately a big jump up from HEO interview in my opinion.

thats what im worried about too. I had great answers for their questions but wasnt giving enough time to get my points across so feel like i may be marked down

• Registered Users Posts: 18 competition

Just wondering What kind of differences are in the AP interview compared to HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JD92

Is it too optimistic to expect final interview results by the 9th (next Friday)? The batch before seemed to get results pretty quick.

im expecting them this week. Had my interview on 23rd and the panel had interviews to 24th. As the interviews started on 8th August, i thought last week would have been the last of the interviews and as you say, previous batches got their results quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 parisee88

When do we anticipate the next AP comp will take place or will they stick to the usual every two years? They seem to be flying through this panel.

public jobs is unavailable until Sunday so no results today.

Although PAS putting them up and nobody being able to see the outcome until Sunday night would take the usual torturous wait to a whole new level!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Laggy67

Lads this is torture, nearly 5 weeks waiting on these interview results

• Advertisement

Advertisement