Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Festival of Brexit: lord but I had completely forgotten about that boondoggle. Those are some shocking numbers; I would have just presumed the whole enterprise, not that it was a Sunk Cost disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

I suspect there will be a period of scapegoating to be gone through first. Brexit was all about oversimplifying a complex issue and telling the easily-led what they wanted to hear. Any admission of Brexit's failure is likely to involve responses in a siilar vein, with finger-pointing at remainers and foreigners in particular. It could indeed get quite ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I just don't understand how non of this dents the popularity of these "alpha strong men" leaders.

I mean you are not really that much of a strong successful leader if you are constantly being thwarted by remoaners, Antifa and all the other snowflakes. The same snowflakes that are too useless to be able to do a proper job at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The well organised Remainer that is able to frustrate the sunny uplands and ruin everything about Brexit is the same as the foreigner that comes in to take all the jobs and pushes down wages and claim benefits and sit at home at the same time.

Always someone else, that is the main take.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

“Schrödinger [whatever Brexit-related theme]” is my constant take, now.

Because whichever theme, topic, outcome, consequence, etc. you care to pick and observe under the ‘logic’ of Brextremists, there are literally always opposed positions in support of a same, schizophrenic take on it:

Weak EU, time to leave it / Strong EU, stopping us from leaving at every turn

Job-stealing immigrants / Benefits-scrounging immigrants

UK is a Global leader / UK burns every last diplomatic bridge standing

Take back control / brakes on all 4 about any implementation of TCA/NIP (smugglers’ charter)

<…>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's interesting though that the failure of Brexit coincides with the massive problems in the British economy (plus the fall in popularity of Johnson and the the Tories. This makes it much more difficult for the Brexit zealots and disciples to defend their scheme. If it was such a wonderful idea, it would be able to power through other negative things that were happening in the UK economy - when in reality we can see it is making things much, much worse.

The weak EU vs strong EU is a classic example of the massive contradictions in the Brexit camp.

The truth is that the vast majority of them were raging xenophobes who were just looking for any excuse to hate on Europe and the EU (and yes, they hate European people just as much as they hate the political institution).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

The problem I see is that you're using logic to poke holes in Brexiteer reactions to the failure of an idea that wasn't passed for logical reasons in the first place. The issues with the UK economy are just as likely to be explained away by blaming them on the EU punishing the UK or the failure of remainers to get behind the Great Idea. Sure, thinking people won't be fooled but it's not the thinking people who are going to cause the ugliness anyway, it's the lumpen Brexitariat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

The 5 stages are probably denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. They're still somewhere between denial and anger, so a long way to go.

I agree that the millions of hardcore English Tories / Johnson supporters / Brexiteers are a lost cause, but there are not enough of them to shape the narrative going forward. Even to get their Brexit project over the line in June 2016, they needed several million floating voters to join them. They never were a majority of the English public at any point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Interesting thread on what Truss in No10 will mean for EU/UK relations, but one tweet caught my attention as it reminded me of one poster here,

Basically the Tories believe the "they always cave at the last minute" so will force Truss into possibly a trade war with the EU. The EU in the meantime will not negotiate while the NIP bill makes its way through parliament. The EU for its part will want to show the UK, sorry the Tories, it will not cave at the last moment so if it ends in a trade war then so be it.

Re. the EU “always caving at the last minute”: you’d think the Tories, for all their faults and contradictions, would have got at least a smidgeon of introspection and, even if not getting on-message, then at least let a little reality permeate their positioning by now.

Ever since Barnier’s very first day on the job way back when, the EU hasn’t “caved” once. The UK has, at every single turn.

And recently, the EU granted the Commission extra powers and autonomy (unprecedented amounts thereof, according to some commentators) to handle EU-UK relations going forward. I.e. and not to put too fine a point on it, an extra-large stick. With nails and stuff. Very little reports and media noises about that one. But expect it to make some noise before long.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I won't link to them but I note that the Express and Times are reporting that Tim Martin (owner of Weatherspoons & prominent Brexiteer) is saying how the government has mishandled Brexit and how the government should help Brexit by removing tariffs on imports...

Speaking to the Times, he said: “One of the big advantages of Brexit is to get rid of the f***ing tariffs.

“They haven’t done it!

“If you criticise the EU for its protectionism, there’s an implicit promise you’re going to do something different.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Especially when the Conservative party is led by an alleged historian.

I do wonder what it's like out there in the non-Brexit world where a referendum from over 6-years ago isn't being used to erode what little constitutional checks and balances exist here. What needs to be borne in mind is that the UK media consists of a BBC cowed by the government, a small few news sites and the Guardian. Most of it is staunchly pro-Brexit and reports everything as brave little Britain getting one over the might EU empire. It's gaslighting on an industrial scale and it's probably one of the few industries that the UK can actually run itself.

Brexit was and remains an inherently protectionist construct. The great British worker no longer has to compete alongside the scurrilous foreigner, the noble British farmer can sell his produce without worrying about imported food and the sunlit uplands won't be threatened by EU environmental legislation. Something has to give.

This is essentially the Patrick Minford playbook. In fairness, Brexit could work. A nimble UK could shrewdly nuture a number of high tech industries such as AI, gene therapies and green energy but we got imperial measurements instead. Sure, you can remove tariffs but I can't see farmers, fishermen or any other UK-based producers being happy about it.

Then again, they knew what they were voting for.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It was never really realistic to make a transition from a service dominated economy to one based on the sciences. There just aren't enough clever people in the UK to do that. What would all the people do who were simply not able to up skill? They'd have to be supported by the workers in the new jobs through social transfers. It was always pie in the sky for a country that large to pivot its economy on a sixpence and morph into something agile, sleek and new, without absolutely massive social upheaval. A handful of people could get very rich based on deregulation which was one of the main drivers of Brexit I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Boris wasn't thick enough to actually trigger Article 16 - Truss is.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭yagan

I can't see what material evidence they'll provide for triggering A16 considering they don't publish data on NI/GB trade flows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Triggering A16 would be better than enacting legislation that just disavows the protocol. A16 means talks. Most of the Brexit bunch thinks it means something else.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair , he's not thick - He's just incredibly lazy and disinterested, borne out of a lifetime of self-entitled indolence.

Truss is utterly drab and lacking anything approaching charisma hence the terrible "pseudo-Thatcher" impersonations.

So , she probably will do something stupid because she's not that bright and lacks her idols will and ability for brinksmanship - She also lacks anything like her political nous as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Truss is driven solely by ambition, and is devoid of any real talent or empathy - or even political abilities - a bit like Hacker in 'Yes, Minister' and now 'Yes, Prime Minister'. Reality mocking comedy.

As a side note, Thatcher was never meant to become Leader of the Tories, and got there by a miscalculation by her right wing friends. She was the stalking horse to trigger a leadership election against Heath, following which the real contenders would emerge from the shadows, but she went and won it outright. I doubt Thatcher or anyone else expected her to win.

• Advertisement

In today’s news (but rumblings about it started yesterday), Ms Truss reportedly cannot find any taker for the Northern Ireland ministership.

Bit of a problem for her if she can’t appoint anyone / ends up appointing some unknown political lightweight, given the pivotal role of NI in moving on from the current ‘Art.16/trade war’ morass.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Brexit is a disaster for the UK,although EU pettiness continues to reach new heights as shown in this link. Apparently being picked up by world media too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-62799594

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Care to actually say something about it instead of just dumping it here?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

N.I. secretary is often a joke post anyway. I doubt the secretary actually has any influence over anything regarding N.I. especially since devolution.

In other news:

Everything these people touch just turns to offal. It's nice to see some karmic justice though.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I think this summarize Brexit well..

The brewery now has just one EU customer, a Berlin pub operator who travels to England by van to pick up the beer. The value of the Kent brewery’s annual beer exports have fallen from £600,000 to £2,000.

He was stuck because of the paperwork. He used to come over for just one night, but now it takes four days because of all the problems.”

As for Frasier, what is petty about it? UK is a third party country and hence has to follow all such regulation and requirements that come with it. Makes no difference if it is from UK or Brazil...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How is this the EU's fault? Did you even read the article? It reads like the Spanish Custom Authorities are the ones nearest to the blame here, but the article doesn't actually bother to explain what the "Fee" was for - though sounds like nobody knows. Pretty shoddy journalism, but equally shoddy to extend the blame to encompass the Big Bad EU, when it's more indicative of the Spanish authorities going overboard with post-Brexit caution. But them's the brakes; that's the reality of the UK becoming a third party - foreign custom authorities are going to be extra-cautious around these things, leading to functionaries rubberstamping anything with an origin from the UK.

No doubt this will be one of those articles that publishes the outrage, then doesn't bother to publish the outcome. It reads like calm discussion with Spanish authorities could yield a removal of the fees once it's clear to be a charity run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not petty at all Fraser - this is what Getting Brexit Done is all about!

And I expect there'll be much more of this good news for Global Britain now that there's a real Brexit champion like Liz Truss at the helm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

This statement in the article did surprise me:

Goods exports from the UK to the EU reached £16.9bn in May, the highest level since figures started in 1997. It is, however, smaller traders who have particularly struggled with the additional paperwork required for exports after Brexit.

So, it's the big exporters shipping more than ever, and the small traders are out of luck? Sounds like Brexit is a win! I would have expected exports to drop overall for all UK exporters. Maybe this includes the uptick from NI to ROI, which if true, imo should've been mentioned by the Guardian writer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Can only guess, but probably needed some kind of permission or whatever (carnet?) to bring over all the cycling gear from the UK for holding the event and didn't bother (we never needed anything like that before, it's only Spain - almost home from home!) and maybe Customs went after them.

So could be the cost of the permission & some fine/fee for not bothering to do it right and get that. Article says they were planning the event during the transition period and it wasn't held due to Covid.

I think maybe what Brexit (or form of it selected by UK govt.) meant has never fully sunk in with many people in the UK so they think all these awkward changes are punishments, creating paranoia that officials in EU member states are constantly out to "get them" for being brave & brexiting.

Advertisement