Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Gin micro-production is just as big business on the Continent as in the UK, if not higher in large conurbations, so I doubt that UK microbrewers pivoting to gin would result in any higher export activity. The problem is NTBs, not product type/quality/appeal. It’s not solvable without a ‘better’ (closer) FTA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I have never known customs officials anywhere in the world to not be "petty" by this standard. This is like complaining they made you open up your suitcase in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

The ignominious debacle of von der leyens art16 attempt and the total rout over taking AZ to court are evidence of EU trying to get tough and failing miserably but I'm sure someone will be along soon to deny they actually happened.I believe kermit has a point in a number of his observations on EU/UK relations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So no evidence, just dumping nonsense. Thanks for confirming.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Were you aware at all, that the Court seized by the Commission in the Astra Zeneca breach of contract claim, sided with the Commission

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/fr/qanda_21_3107

and that Astra Zeneca then settled out of Court?

No? How unsurprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

You're a moderator, why aren't you giving this poster a ban for obvious brigading?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I'm against banning. I might not agree the posts but they are his/her opinions to which he/she is entitled. We can disagree.

We all know Britain is a 3rd world country as far as the Eu is concerned. Just that nobody told them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

They're not debating opinions, they're data dumping, repeatedly.

It goes against the rules as I've read them and I'm bemused as to why they haven't been issued a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Officially a "third country" but calling it a third WORLD country isn't quite the state of it.

So far anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, the basis of First, Second and Third world goes back to the cold war.

First World meant that the country was in alliance with USA, NATO. Second World meant that the country was aligned to USSR and the Warsaw Pact, and included PRC (China). Third World was non-aligned. Ireland was Third World under that classification.

The current term is 'developing country' and that refers to countries not as wealthy as 'Western countries'. Western Countries includes Japan, Australia and New Zealand - none of them that 'western' geographically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭rock22

Apparently Ahern and Blair have been working behind the scenes to try to find a way around the impasse in NI re the Protocol

Not too sure how I feel about this. Ahern seems to believe that Commission should re-negotiate the Protocol , if I have understood his past statements correctly

To be honest, I can't think of two people the respective governments in Ireland and the UK would be less likely to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,911 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All those two ever done of North was to say what they were told to say.

We all know it was really Bono who brought peace to the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

These appointments from the Brexit heartlands are not aimed at the EU, they are aimed at the Irish government. Liz Truss basically said yesterday either negotiate the same outcome as her bill or the bill will pass which either way makes Ireland's position untenable.

I know you're all scared to hear because ignorance is bliss but Tony Connelly in his most recent article raised this again. Of course he doesn't want to scare the horses either so it's buried way down the article.

And the media need to start speaking up on it because the position is not being described properly to the public.

The British government know exactly what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yep, it is sort of aimed at "us". Though I'd say such appointments are edit: more aimed at the Brexity/British Nationalist element of the Conservative party itself and its members though because it's about giving these maggots (the "Ultra" Brexiters) the positions they need to drive the policies they want (i.e. provoke more rows with the EU the bigger and nastier the better, attack Ireland as the weak link to do the EU more serious damage). These UK govt.'s just get more extreme (and worse and worse from an Irish pov) as time goes on, don't know where it is going to end up.

I'm sure this time they really, really pinky swear mean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It ends up with Ireland out of the single market.

As Tony Connelly points out even if EU leaders could hold their noses at the hole in the single market for a short time (highly doubtful) it would only take one court case from within the EU by some individual or company and our future is decided for us.

The stakes are as high as they can get for us.

It's a pity the public has been let down by the media who have intentionally failed to get across the gravity of the situation.

The Beeb is not going to imply it is Brexit & way the UK went about it + is still busy trying to go about it (a fantasy to either have all the cake and eat it + make the EU membership worth 0 to remaining members, or cause the EU to fragment, and peel off some of the members in more "exits") that cause stuff like that to happen to people.

Would imagine the Conservatives watch all the BBC output on their hot button issue (Brexit & EU-UK relations etc) like hawks and they'll be torn a large new asshole if they report the full truth, or imply that maybe the fantastic project and great political achievement of the last decade has had some unfortunate consequences for people.

Better and safer to fudge and blame pettifoggery of the Spanish and the 'orrible cold hearted arthurs in their Customs service.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Advertisement

I know that's your dream (edit2: though you have denied it!) and probably one of the UKs end-goals but I can't see it, sorry. It's just a really, really bad outcome for both the EU and Ireland, our leaders (and other leaders around Europe) do have sense enough to understand that I would hope.

In terms of negative consequences for this country, I think this ends with NI being absolutely screwed + its economy cratered (esp. if we see a UK-EU trade war). IMO in event the NI protocol goes poof for good and NI joins rest of UK and loses the EU single market access, that will happen before any troublesome physical manifestations of a trade border appear on the island.

edit: When I said I don't know where it will end up, I was wondering how low can UK-Irish relations go + how bad can it get in future?

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Ya jumped straight to Ireland out of the single market, as if that's the only thing. There'll be carnage at all UK ports and all UK people will be scrutinised to the last when entering the EU. Services, especially financial will be targetted. And whatever other avenues the EU has at it's disposal will be used. Then, and only then would there be a border erected between North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Why do we have to keep going over this?

No it doesn't end with Ireland out of the single market: Ireland already "gnawed off a leg" to be free of the UK trap: if it ever comes to deciding whether to be subject to British rule (which is what you are saying) to prevent a border between NI & Ireland versus staying free of British rule but putting up a hard border, Ireland will always, always choose to let NI go to get independence.

Caving in to British blackmail is just like caving in to Russian threats: all it does is invite more blackmail and more threats. Why would Ireland do that?

Furthermore, UK cannot survive without a trade agreement with the EU & cannot survive a trade war. It can't even check incoming goods.

It's a good thing that the brexit purists are now in charge - they harder and faster they smash the UK & brexit against harsh reality, the quicker we get this all over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,226 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The US have fired a warning shot across the bows of the UK government this evening :

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course. It's Groundhog Day once again. Intellectually bankrupt British leader makes threatening noise about the Protocol, Kermit predicts doom, nothing happens because the government knows they'd be eviscerated by reality and life goes on.

How tedious.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭paul71

I have never in my 51 years on the planet seen anyone so consistently wrong as you Kermit, I mean its going on years now. I would love to follow you into a bookies some day to see who you bet on in a 2 horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭McFly85

It actually amazes me that 6 years after the Brexit vote we still have people insisting that Ireland will be fed to the wolves to appease the UK.

It was fantasy stuff back then, it’s even worse now that EU supply chains have had a chance to settle.

The day the EU chooses a non-member over a member, that’s the end of the EU.

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Truss has the charisma of a wet paper bag alright and she’s so scripted and unconvincing- a bit like an older Helen Mcentee and with one or two more brain cells.

The thatcher comparisons are laughable. She’s a left wing globalist

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

"The British government know exactly what they are doing."

Yeah, they have it so figured out that it's only required four prime ministers to [not] get Brexit done.

Or is that all part of their cunning plan?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You sure can tell the evenings are drawing in when Kermit's broken record gets trotted out earlier and earlier.

Pity the new sites search is so rubbish cos I'd love to have all their posts predicting Irish doom posted here for all to see. The years of predictions that X deadline passing would mean, finally, no really this time, Ireland would be ejected from the Single Market.

Advertisement