Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 7) Tullamore Golf Club (27th Aug 1400 hrs)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Might need a sub yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You there ? - as usual , romantic night before.

Not good for your golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

So just to confirm, is the short game clinic at 12 or 12.30 tomorrow?

Looking forward to the round in general, but really looking forward to making an utter arse of myself trying to show off the short game after the clinic 😭

1230....I guess the earlier you get there the better..set up and probably more solo time with Corey...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manhatton

Lads, make sure to give yourself plenty of time to get there. Just after chatting to a lad who will be competing in the Tullamore half marathon today and he said that the golf course road is part of the route and there will be traffic and access restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

Sun is shining, porridge is on, looking for my golf shorts, about to hit the road. Looks like it's going to be a great day ☀️☀️😎😎🏌️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yupp, road is open but definitely allow more time to get to the course. It’s a narrow road down. It’s starting at 11 so the main contenders should be gone through by 1pm.

Just to add:

If your coming from the east via Kilbeggan etc make sure to stay on the Tullamore bypass and go around the town

Same coming from the south if your coming via Portlaoise

The route the half marathon is taking is going out of Tullamore via an Charleville road, it’s then going on into Mucklagh village (which is bypassed already so won’t effect anyone) but they come back up the road the golf club is on so we will be going against them when heading to the club. As I said, the road is open but allow a few more minutes to get there and the Stewards will direct you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

enjoy today guys

Just arrived at the course folks. I was directed off from portlaoise, and came into Tullamore at the distillery. Just at the kinnity roundabout there were Marshall's and hi-vis out for the half-marathon. Small bit of activity on that section of road but no runner's yet.

• Advertisement

Very very long day - but brilliant all the same...

Will post tomorrow.

Thanks a million to everyone and particularly Space for sorting most stuff.

Amazing scores on a great course..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭BohToffee

Long day indeed Fix. Thanks again to the cmte and charlieIRL for arranging a great day out on a lovely course. Unfortunately my golf game deserted me today so I won't be saying much on that front. Played with CharlieIRL, RoadRunner and Doublecross. It was a joy to watch the first two lads battle it out on the day, with an injury hampering Doublecross but my god can he hit a ball, even with the injury... Had few highlights myself, going for the first par 5 in 2 after being told it was a 3 shotter but a tree got in the way. a scuttery tee shot on 12 had me cursing it and myself, on she rolled up the green, had to give a rattle at the 2 and in she rolled, second ever 2 and I pop my name down every week so that's the one that brings me back... thanks to the lads again but special thanks to RR for keeping the spirits up, driver was crap mostly today but apparently "sounds lovely" so I'll keep going. 😀 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭spuddy4711

The short game clinic was a perfect start to a great outing, thanks Fix and the team for this. Boards Golf Society is at such a high standard, real Senior Hurling level, I saw outstanding play from Rally 23, A Post Punk and Kiith.

So many takeaways. The valuable local knowledge of Kiith and his superb iron play, the brilliant par of R23 the 18th after being waay too long on his approach, and APP’s great use of the driving range to get home. Oh, and me escaping 8 out of 9 bunkers in 1. Thanks Corry.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭bobster453

Another great day with great company.

Short game clinic was a great bonus and brilliant idea.

Course was in great nick and the greens were excellent..very true and some nice double breaks which were testy.

Really enjoyed the company thanks lads.

Started ok turned with 19 points then parred the next 3 for 28 points after 12.

And then the effects of the early body clock alarm and late start kicked in just about the time this old man would be snoozing in the armchair before dinner.

I swear I fell asleep for a few holes leading to my having to drill a longish putt for par on 18th to finish on 36 points.

Long tiring fantastic day.

Shot of the day for me was 21 degree rescue going 170+ yards from a fairway bunker.

Of course i promptly made a hames of the 9 iron approach after it but shure thats golf for ya.

Playing home today at 730 and then hitting the leaba for a few hours.

Thanks yet again to the committee and all who helped.

It is very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 scotty_golf9

Had a great day out in Tullamore yesterday, first time playing it. I starting off well with back to back birdies in the first few holes but then had a lovely triple bogey to add to the card. I was playing well and enjoyed the course and the company of the 3 lads. First time playing with Joe and John and they were 2 sound lads. Best part of the day was my birdie on the index 1 with a good drive to leave myself with an 8 iron in and mangaed to stick it to 8 feet and held the putt. Hopefully ill see you’s in the next one.

Results

1st CharlieIRL 43 pts

2nd Roadrunner 42 pts

3rd Slave1 39 pts

4th Rally23 38 pts

Gross (4 Over)

r1986

Roadrunner

NTP

LinoRichie 50 inches

Long Drive

Fix

2s

LinoRichie - BohToffee - r1986

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well I'm running the gamut of emotions with the society this year.

The only thing I can say is I didn't finish completely last yesterday 😁

Kevs, bakerbhoy and boccy for company made for a very enjoyable afternoon and the day flew by.

I scored terribly, but really felt like I was playing some reasonable stuff. Was really solid off the tee with the 3w and driver.

The handicap chops from the last couple of outings meant that I didn't have much wiggle room, but was ticking along steadily through the first 7 holes despite finding maybe 4 bunkers in those 7 holes. Made a really nice birdie on the first par 5, which was inches from an Eagle. Approach with a wedge from about 100 yards stopped about 4 inches from the hole.

8 is a tight short dogleg. 3w into good position, wedge in, took a big hop and into a hidden pot bunker. Sand a little thin and downhill stance. Came out thin, 3-putt and a scratch. 9, NTP hole, took the measure, a perfect smooth 9i for me. Took it out of the bag, hit it perfect, straight down the pin...and it landed about 10 yards short. Looked at club in surprise, to find it was a PW in my hand. Let that annoy me and made sh1t of the rest of the hole to scratch again for 2 in a row (apologies to the lads for my angry outburst there!)

Back 9 scoring wasn't any better. Tee shots stayed strong, irons were going well but short game let me down. Putted very well early in the round, but a few 3 putts slipped in later.

Kevs started a little loose off the tee for the opening holes and was having to chase early on, but settled down and played some great stuff as the day progressed, with a super back 9. He scored really well on thr par 5s and made great par on the index 1.

Bakerbhoy similarly, had a rough start off the tee with some big pulls. There was a bit of anger I think when we reached the 5th and he hit a cracker down the middle of a tough driving hole. Followed up with a great iron to the heart of the green for a nice 2 putt par. Had a couple of cracking long putts, including a super birdie on the 8th.

Had boccy for company for the short game session and then out on the course. His game has really come on since the last time I played with him. When he gets the rhythm right he hits a really nice controlled fade with the driver and put himself in some great spots. A few troubles in some trees followed by some great recoveries.

None of us burned the course up...it was already burnt enough from the dry weather.

One thing I'll take away...I'm not a 3 handicap golfer, but will be stuck around that mark in Mount Juliet unfortunately. I'll need to replicate my performance from Charlie's Captains there to even have a chance of top 10 I think.

Running the numbers afterwards and it looks like there are 3 people who can catch me for GOTY, and they're a daunting group, the top 3 from yesterday's outing, Charlie, Slave and Roadrunner... all 3 in great form and with a few shots in the bag 😉

Think I may have peaked too early

The Long Hot Day

Few things learnt yesterday

1) Don't tee off too late again (even if we had no choice)

2) Organise a proper technical day - rather than before an outing

3) If you sing a John Spillane song - you get free, breakfast - lunch and dinner from a Corkman (Amazing generosity Break80).

Was a great long day - when I arrived lads were warming up at noon - was incredible really, considering the drives and the fact it was 2 hours to go to first tee time. We experimented with a pre short game clinic with Corey (the lovely pro there) - and whilst the timing of it was rightly questioned - we still had a bit of fun and comradery in the sun - it was done in a peaceful part of the course. There were a couple of shouts of "fore" at a short game clinic - but also many great shots observed.

I had a lovely club sandwich (With an egg in it) - and then it was off to the first tee. Was playing with Break80 (an old Cork friend at this stage) - Slave1 and VW1. The first thing that was noticeable and was very professional - was the lack of real pressure on the time sheet and the more relaxed 1st tee space and vibe. It was interesting the our first 4 shots were almost a reflection of what was to come ahead - Slave a bomb down the middle - VW1 a powerfull but overdrawn ball - Break 80 fading right - me an uncharacteristic snap hook left.

Slave played really brilliant golf for most of the front nine - I said it straight up to him, that his handicap was not a refection of his ability - but he said he just has great days and bad days. He really can do everything on a course - I liked his own style in the short game too.

Break 80 - had a tough day off the tee and was in the trees a good bit - It was impressive that he kept his cool when their could have been "red mist" and he didn't let it take away from his enjoyment of the round.

VW1 is a seriously powerfull golfer - and will be a serious bit of stuff when he gets going - gets into a club and gets a pro. Really nice guy for a Manchester United fan.

Myself - not doing anything well to be honest - and even what is normally solid (putting / Driving) - is a bit of a disaster at the moment , anyway, going through a few changes and not really much golf time lately - and is showing at this stage.

Was a great bit of "banter" after - I know I go way too far at times / most / all of the time. But was a good laugh.

Had a chat with one Boards member in the car park - and it reminded me that life is short , you do not know what is around the corner, so you got to enjoy the good times when they are there.

Fantastic scoring - and it sounds like Roadrunner had a serious epic round on the cards till the last 3 - still amazing golf Roadrunner - "you are a great putter".

CharlieIRL - was probably the obvious fav. in hindsight - but as is always the case with Charlie - you just don't know if it is the single figure golfer in him - or the WHS golfer in him that will come out. When the stars align - his scoring potential is epic.

Tullamore was a brilliant place for an outing - I'm probably just getting more experience at this now - but it is little things like the pro shop - the staff in the catering and bar - the future captain introducing himself , just transforms a day into a great day. I probably wouldn't have noticed that stuff before - but do now. Thanks Charlie and Tullamore for a great day.

To the members - again a great pace of play - no messing , everyone on time (thanks Kieran. getting me away) - In general well done everyone - and great golf.

As I hit the road - it was actually getting dark, a sign of a long day, a summer end and an end in sight. I've only 1 proper outing to go - when I got home, the wife asked me how it had gone. I told her fairly perfectly - she said " you'll miss it when it is gone" .

P.S.

Space - you are an absolute legend.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"Think I may have peaked too early"

You're early peak is plenty, work is done, well played all year, it's hard to be organising and going out to golf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Great company always makes a poor round easier. And there was great company in spades playing with Space, Boccy and Bakerbhoy.

Started off OK on the first 3 holes but game got away from me a bit on the rest of the front 9, turning with 13 points. Tightened things up a bit on the back and finished up with 33. Was delighted with my play on the back 9.

Not much to add to what Space said above about the guys' rounds. You can really see why Space is stuck playing off 3. Hits a beautiful shot, just unfortunate the scoring didn't match the general play today. Boccy was incredibly steady with his play, just unfortunate to get caught out in the trees a few times during the round. And Bakerbhoy hit some lovely shots in with the 3w. Took a few holes to get the driver up and running unfortunately.

Really looking forward to Captains next month, and hoping I can hold my position in the top 10 and make it onto the Jug team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Late afternoon rounds are unusual for me but with the weather we got it was well worth it.

Golf is a sport best enjoyed in the balm heat and shorts and single top, love it in current weather.

Had the pleasure of joining the current and last years Captains alongside (checks booking as doesn't remember "handle") VW1.

VW1 has an awesome swing with some serious length off the tee, not many folk will be 150y off the Index 1 14th, a wee bit more Weetabix in his putts and the score would be well improved.

Break was abandoned by the Golfing Gods, he must have been an arborist in past life as was in such an amount of trees all day, hard to put a round together when in the thick stuff so kudos for the calm presence during the round.

Was waiting to see Fix in the flesh, we read of his exploits on the hallowed links turf and indeed you can sense his game is built around windy links conditions, not many folk take a divot off a teed driver such is the shallow piercing ball flight. I'd love his punched baby draw approach from long irons too and even inside 60yds it's still a very low checked approach. Very much in contrast with whatever way my octopus falling off a cliff swing works. Ironically it was the flat stick that was not behaving on the day, such is the way things are for us amateurs.

I'd only golfed once in the previous two weeks, wasn't expecting or thinking too much about it as I've played Tullamore countless times before and at this stage know my clubs and shots for every hole (unless things go sideways), know which dog legs I can go for and which I simply lay up, I lay up on them all. My irons were very bad recently and I only figured out recently what was going wrong so I was adjusting my stance for every iron shot and played probably my best iron play in a long time resulting in 3 birdies and a good few more safe two putts although I did throw in a pair of three putts from GIR which was annoying but at this stage I accept this.

Taking the extra time on the tee (I generally play very quick in casual rounds) was welcome too as I only had to "chop out" twice and such is Tullamore that these both ended up as doubles. I'd never drove past that fairway hill on the first before so was delighted to pop over it yesterday, still bedding in a new driver but the honeymoon period is nice at the minute. The shot I need to empty from my brain was the par 3 12th apprach. I say approach as I can't hit that green with reliability so was very happy to be front left as planned with path to flag, I punched in a low 9iron into the mound at the front of the green so the ball would trickle over and come to rest near the flag, I could just picture it but the ball stalled going up the mound and rolled well off the green and left me a more difficult version of the same shot again, thankfully it worked out this time and we all played rather nifty shots in, Break from the bunker on the left, Fix from putting off the green across the ridge and VW with the most super of shots from the RHS of the green over the bunker resulting in these balls....

..and we all failed to convert, gotta love this game......

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Shot of the 5th green

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Met some of the Boardies at the lesson with Corey Doherty. Glad you enjoyed the day folks. You are always welcome back at Tullamore.

Finally getting round to scribe my musings on what was a long day, but a really enjoyable day. As I posted earlier that morning, I was setting out around 9:30 that morning, following the porridge and a mug of Lough derg happiness (black tea), thankfully no wishing of luck from the members of the ngardai as I just outside Clonmel.

When I got to Tullamore, I was just missing the start of the half marathon a couple of the lads with the important jobs and the 3 striped hi-vis were starting to set out bollards and railings.

When I got to the golf club, I met Bakerbhoy and we hit a few chips on the first practice green, felt ok with them. Bakerbhoy was to be opponent in the finale of the chipping contest. We were chatting about the big group in front of us and it appeared that a lot of that society were staying in the same hotel as Bakerbhoy, they were from Cork.

I tried a couple of swings in the driving nets, as much as Break80 and Bobster encouraged to max an extra 20 / 30 miles an hour in the downswing, the nerves and the giggles got to me.

The chipping clinic was a brilliant addition to the day, a huge thanks to Captain for arranging this. Corey broke the fundamentals of the swing with your wedge both in bunker and around the green so easily and it was great to take that on to the green yesterday and today. Well won too @bakerbhoy dinking that last chip nearer the circle and taking the points.

On to the golf, I came in after my round and apologies to @spacecoyote , I said my golf was something like; "ever see a 3 legged cat trying to bury poo on a frozen lake?" I was that 2 legged cat. I had the pleasure of playing again with Bobster, Richie and for fear of a typo, Mr. Hatton. (Thank you for forgiving me before the chipping clinic 🤣🤣🤣🤣)Great company on the round, great chats, and great craic too. Great golf played by both Bobster and Richie, great 2 on the 9th NTP, 3 flutes from the hole, the winning distance 🤔🤔🤔, Mr Hatton and I struggled through our rounds, my putting was as erratic as the arm on a lie detector, it cost me so many shots, and some bad shots got into the old noodle again. I finished on 27pts, and I was so cross I could not play to the 25 handicap on the card 🤬. The lads were sound stock to offer little tips and encouragement too, it was a huge lift too, when the golf was getting too challenging. The course was a challenge too, but set up so well and perfect conditions. Thanks to Bobster, Richie, and Mr. Hatton for your great company on the round. The craic and slagging after and the food before the prizes was a great lift. I say it everytime, but this is some group, love it.

Congratulations to CharlieIrl on a great score of 43, and to the other prize winners, the names are starting to elude me and I fear I could type a name of someone who may not exist in the society. Great course, staff were lovely and the food was right good.

Right sin a bhfuil, let's see if Rory chips like us yesterday. On to Mount Juliet for September. Looking forward to another cracker of an outing.

Oiche Mhaith

Long post alert!

Heading to my home course for the penultimate round of this years society I had all sorts of thoughts going through my head. I got a lesson with Corey a few weeks ago to sort out my erratic driving and within a few minutes he had me hitting it longer but much more consistent. I have also put a massive amount of work into my <50m game in the last few months - I spend at least 2 lunchtimes every week at the areas you all used for the short game clinic on Saturday practicing my chipping - the joys of working 4 minutes from the course. Unfortunately as both the start and finish of my game on each hole started to come together - my second shot game fell to pieces, typical isn’t it. I was on the practice range one day and thankfully Corey came over to me and yet again, with one tweak, I was nailing my 100m shots with ease. I spent a few weeks alternating between the short chips and the 70/80/90m shots until I felt a bit more comfortable with them. 

As soon as I thought it was all coming together, it fell apart and my round 2 weeks ago - I had 26 points. Last Saturday, driving the ball well, approach ok, chipping ok, I just couldn’t buy a putt and for the first time in years - I had no pars in a round and a miserable 23 points. 

I was more relaxed yesterday, got there early, bit of banter and crack and then headed off to the putting green.  Few putts and then off to the chipping green, was hitting them fairly close so confidence was growing. 

Off to the first tee with two old friends in Roadrunner and  Doublecross and my first time meeting Bohtoffee. Straight away the banter started and continued for the whole round making it very very enjoyable. Roadrunner and myself nailed our drives on the first, just to the left fringe of the fairway. We never play off the whites in Tullamore so wasn’t used to being so close to the green, was nice to approach with pw instead of a 8 iron and this was the same for the full round. Not a great third am shot and two putts for me got me going though. 

Going long on 2 is always trouble so I use a club less than the middle of the green yardage but I hit an 8 a bit too short and found the front bunker, taking two to get out and two putts annoyed me a bit but it was still a point. 

Absolutely bombed a drive on 3 - 265meters according to my gps again left me with a 100m approach, green in regulation and 2 putts for my first par. Woohoo. 

Hugged the trees on the right too much on the next resulted in my chipping out sideways, nice approach to the green, chip and 2 putts for another bogie, happy with that. 

Teeing off so far forward on the next had us thinking, this pond is drivable. I had told the lads it’s a 3 wood to the centre of the fairway but no, we’re fellas and we can take on this pond!! Unfortunately / fortunately 3 of us cleared it with ease but poor bohtoffee went swimming - he almost cleared it with his 3 wood! It’s a tough green to hit so club less, land at the front of the green, two putts and 3 points kept topping up my card. 

6th is a tough par 3 but the adrenaline was flowing so took a 7 iron only to find the rear right bunker, hit a peach of a shot out and sunk the putt- was today going to be my day??

Another decent drive on 7 but was eclipsed but Roadrunner, who also had a score going, out with the driver taking dead aim at the pond. I’ve never seen anyone clearing it and here he goes and bombs one over lading in the fringe the far side of the fairway - WOW!! Nice hybrid approach had me pin high but in the left bunker. Chip out and 2 putts for another par, where we’re all these last week?!!

The 3 lads took on the 8th with varying success, I took driver when I normally use my hybrid down to the tree to the left of the pond. Went long but through the trees which left me a handy chip to the green, 2 putts and another par! 

I like the 9th, the easiest par 3 on the course, PW pin high but left bunker, got out and 2 putts for another 2 points. I counted them up and was amazed to see 22 points, one more and I had beaten last weeks score. I need to keep this going I kept telling myself. 

Great drive on 10 but found another bunker on the left - you really can’t be left of the green here. Delicate chip didn’t make it out of the bunker so had another go and it landed on the fringe. Tapped the putt and it ran on way past the hole. Finished with a 6 which was annoying after the decent drive. 

11th was another great tee shot, lw to the green with a decent look for birdie - what did I do - damm 3 putt from nowhere for a 5. 

12 is a demon of a par 3, well for everyone except bohtoffee, peach of a tee shot to middle of the green and sank the putt, well done sir. I hate to admit it with 12, but I always play to the front fringe of the green as anything long or left is serious trouble. Hit a 7 iron to the front and thankfully it rolled and rolled up the green for me, just missed the birdie putt but got the par - my first one here in over a year!! 

On to 13 and nailed one down the middle, I thought I had caught up to the LD marker but was about 5m short. Still another nice chip to the green and another birdie putt- which I missed, but yes, another par. 

14 is my bogie hole, I just can’t play it. Drove it left but had a line out, nice chip to the middle of the fairway and I had 140m to go. Took out an 8 iron, lovely crisp hit but slightly left and seen my ball bounce left into the valley and halfway on the upslope. Standing over it I was thinking, how the hell do I get outta this one and then I though of a recent Nick Doherty’s tee time tips, shoulders parallel to the ground and just hit it! Chipped up lovely and two putts for a 6, was never as happy with a double in my life. Was this my day? 

On 15 I took a 3 wood for safety, ha ha, drove it right into the trees, chipped sideways and then absolutely bombed my 3 wood to the front of the green!! Two putts and another par - where has this gold come from? Can I bottle it and use it every week!!

Forward tees on 16 was nice, even of there are only a few meters forward, it’s nice. 253m drove left me a gap wedge in and I pulled it left just about over the stream. Chipped up but another 3 putt, but points in the bag. 

17 is another long par 3 so again, I lay up to the fringe and play up from there. 7 iron in hand, 170m to go I leave it pin high right!! I’m saying it was the dry and hard course helping me! 2 putts and a par - another hole i never score on so delighted. 

Standing on 18 I have to admit I got nervous about my score, I haven’t played this well in years. Tried to take something off my driver but pushed it right so had to chip out left to the fairway. Lovely 88m approach to the green and 2 putts for my bogie and another 2 points. I nearly got weak when I added them up. Absolutely, genuinely chuffed to bits with my score, and thinking in 2 of the bunkers, it took me 2 shots to get out and I had 3 x 3 putts, still my lowest round in years and a very decent cut in my handicap as I entered the round before I started. 

I was marking Roadrunners card and knew he had an amazing round going but it was unfortunately undone on 16. Rare bogies on 17 & 18 took from what was an amazing score. Some absolutely fantastic shots throughout his round. 

Doublecross was having a tough day with his injury, his class and effortless golf wasn’t on display yesterday but it will be back. 

Bohtoffee has some drive when he connects, as roadrunner said on numerous occasions “that sounds feckin deadly!!”

A very enjoyable day start to finish, good crack afterwards and some excellent food to round it off. 

I hope everyone enjoyed the course and clubhouse, even  now when I book my next round, I can’t wait to get over to play it and still get nervous. Well done to Fix for organising the clinic, yet another brilliant idea for this year. In my opinion, Corey is an excellent coach and has a great way of explaining what he would like you to do or what needs to be changed, he’s helped me so much this year that I have to credit him with my score yesterday. 

I know I can play good golf, I know I can be poor at times but I’ve better at accepting bad shots and moving on. Hitting my driver more consistently and the work on my short game will get me to and beyond my handicap goal, I will do it. 

See ye all in MJ, I can’t wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Would not b slagging the half marathon lads. That’s a lot more important and harder and more interesting than 20/30 bucks playing a slow round of golf for 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭bobster453

1.Who was slagging them?

2.How is it more important?

3.How do you know we are all bucks..some buckesses too.

4. You obviously havent seen me play golf..aint no way a short stroll is easier than this.

5. Wasnt 5 hours

So there 😀😀

I honestly don’t get the point of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Caddy cart

Ha ha. Golfers. There really are in a world of there own And I play golf twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Finally got here for my second boards outing and I was delighted to make it. As was everyone else there. It's a great atmosphere to walk into. In fairness, it's pretty much a feature of golf that your fellow golfers are happy to be getting out for a round. But for a boards outting people have travelled from around the country and there's not a smidgen of a feeling that anyone is taking it for granted. To get out for a round of golf on a course like that in weather like that is a privilege. And to do so with others who obsess over the game in a similar way only adds to the experience. On a normal Sunday your playing partners might not think about golf from one week to the next. In a boards outing I think we're all guilty of thinking about golf far too much!

Coming back to tullamore was a little strange for me. I dated a girl from the town for 8 years or so and used to play golf there with her father a few times a year. He was golf obsessed, he would have been a fine boards member. And I believe he passed away recently, so it was a little strange coming back to probably the place he loved most after his home. He might no longer walk the fairways himself, but he's left prov1s with his markings on them all over the course, so in a way he'll always be there!

Anyway, I suppose my day started just before 6am. I took the last slot of the day so I could get jobs done at home, so that began with getting up with the young one. Jobs done I hit the road just before one and got there about an hour before my tee time. Yet still was just barely on the tee on time! I warmed up and then went to get a bottle of water which took far longer than I could have predicted. Pro shop closed so tried the bar. A lad was topping up his card and having chats and I waited patiently behind him. They send me back to the shop to knock on the window, but still closed so I got my bottle from the car to ask the bar to fill. I had to queue then behind another guy topping up his card and 3 ladies deciding what to order at the till. I just made the tee on time. But crucially forgot about registering my score.

I'd the pleasure of playing with Alanm, benny79 and I forget the username of the third but, but looking trough the list I suspect kieran. is a good guess. But three fine golfers. Alanm playing his second round of the day, regardless of the fine score that's impressive. Benny79 was playing for the back9 prize and I suspect would have won it if there had been one. And kieran. didn't want to know his halftime score. I suspect a few more balls dropping his way after the turn and he could have been onto a really good one.

I'd a bit of a funny round. I didn't strike it great, but got away with murder to bring in a respectable score. I hit a couple of drives practically vertically on 1 and 7, but still had shots into the greens from reasonable distances. And hit the ground on 5 and 13 but managed to get away with them and sneak over the water on 5 and through the gap on 13. They must have been ball and ground at the same time. And I had some really poor mishit irons drop way short. I was tempted to take more club in the expectation that I'd mishit them, but short isn't too bad. At worst you'll be in a bunker. Long can be a different story. Three three putt bogies is always an annoying stat though. When you're getting away with murder, it's sinful to give those gifts back so cheaply.

I was going pretty well until 14. +10 on the 14th tee playing off 14. A good finish and i could be up there. Then I sliced the arse off it. If I had aimed at the 13th green it still would have gone OB right. But that was fine, I'm always prone to that. It happening once in a round isn't the worst. What threw me though was realising I forgot to declare my round. I'd been targeting playing parklands in particular to get my handicap down. And tullamore on a day like yesterday I thought even a decent score would be in my best 8. I was sickened realising that I wouldn't get to count it. Looking back I think I'd have dropped .5 or .6 with the score I had.

Anyway, on the 15th tee I wouldn't normally hit driver. With my shape the further right you go the less distance on your shot. And the further away the drain gets. It's not a drive set up for me to take on. But I was mad and wanted to hit something so took it out. And snuck over the drain. I nailed a 5 wood onto the green. Walking up looking at it, it looked like a tap in eagle. As I got closer, it turned out to be a tap in eagle. Slightly longer than my putter grip. I still marked it of course. No such thing as an unmissable putt. It was my third ever eagle. That cheered me up a bit.

So thanks to our captain and the rest of the committee for organising a great outing. It's a perfect choice of venue. I really do love the course - so playable, but at the same time challenging. I wouldn't regard it as a course for losing a lot of balls, but that's a compliment. If you hit it where you shouldn't it might be gone. But you don't get punished with that penalty for going slightly offline. The par threes are great, very challenging. Greens are tricky but fair. Lovely to chip onto. And it's a majestic course. There's trees there that must be hundreds of years old.

And well done to the winners. Hopefully I'll see you all again in kilkenny!

Advertisement