Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 7) Tullamore Golf Club (27th Aug 1400 hrs)

Options
  • 27-07-2022 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭

OK all. .

I'm delighted to post about our 2nd last outing of the year (excluding Jug) - Finish line can be seen , the sun is setting earlier , details of captains are up. We are on the last leg.

A few people have almost crowned our leader Spacecoyote after two wins in a row - but him the brilliant mathematician he is - will understand, the new scoring system , pulls everyone way tighter together - and as can be seen now, even winners of events are now outside of the jug team.

Anyway - back to the outing. CharlieIRL is a long time member of the golf society - he is a past captain and long term committee member. He has helped out with this outing and it is going to be a great day. I can not emphasize enough, how important people like Charlie are to the Boards Golf Society - 10 years ago, when I started out - meeting someone off the internet was still a very strange thing (still is) - but, back then, it was terrifying. It was real - If I don't come back by 8pm, call this number stuff. Anyway - in this rather odd situation - people like CharlieIRL were gold - he was so calm , at ease , welcoming, knew all the names and usernames , had a laugh and a joke and was the perfect host. So thanks again Charlie. He is not a man for out front bluster and B.S like me - he (and a few others) are the true foundations of this society. Only problem is, he is a MOD (😂)

Anyway - Tullamore Golf Club always gets into the top 50 in Ireland - on the face of it , it is a traditional town based Irish Parkland - but when you dig into the History and Design (James Braid) - and actually see the course. You see, you are in the top tier of Irish parklands.

I have been to a few boards outings here - I do recall a rare good performance , but I will leave that to our own historian Seve. Sometimes , I allow false memories to colour the hurtful past.

We will try play a bit further back for this one (For Slave and delusional players) (Some courses do not let societies out further back) - we will also try get pace of play back to club level (it is not a resort , so people will rightly expect timely golf).

For some of the big names in the society, with good Jug records , they would want to get a serious move on at this one. If they don't, that offer from LIV could look more realistic - your JUG career is over , and you know FIX (won't pick , Friends, poor form, or LIV players)

Did I just refer to myself in the 3rd person - I think it is time for that new 2023 captain 😂

THE TIME SHEET WILL OPEN 3rd Aug (1900 Hrs) - see notes in ClubNet thread on changes to top up for year end.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Class course. I think we played it in 2014 on the regular rota and then went on to play the jug there that year. I’m pretty sure we also made at least one further return. I’ll have to go digging in the archives 🧐

unfortunately I’m pretty sure I won’t make this one at all. Like last month was 50:50, but this time around it’s more like 95:05 that I won’t be there. So I’ll have to make damn sure I can source someone to mind my kids for Captains in September and put a performance in there if I have any hope of playing in the Jug this year. Honestly I’ll be devastated if I’m not on the team, I’ve never missed one……. Yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I used to play here a good bit when I dated a girl from the town. I'm really looking forward to going back (to the course). I have such fond memories (of the course).

I've the day booked off and please God nothing changes between now and then. Tullamore is a mix of some kind holes (7-9 are a very gentle end to the front 9) and some tough holes (16-18 are a not so gentle end to the back 9). Some good risk reward - the par 5 4th is a tricky green to go for in two, and on 5 there's a lake that you can avoid entirely or be brave / stupid and opt to go over it. I'll tell you which I decided after I hit my shot. The par 3s are strong - 3 long ones to small greens if I remember correctly. But I do remember the course being fair. If you're playing well you can go on a run of pars. If you're playing badly you won't!

I'm looking forward to seeing you all there for it anyway!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lovely course, expecting strong win for CharlieIRL on his home turf, I'll come along to make up the numbers. The whites in Tullamore are well back, they don't really do forward society tees except in Winter.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

@blue note Have you any pictures? (not of the course) 😂

That's her right there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yep Fix, it's certainly not in the bag at this moment, especially when you look a little further down the list and see the guys in strong positions with less than 5 events played (Slave, Doublecross, etc). All still to play for!

Me think he doth protest too much😉

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭a post punk

I am hoping for a strong finish to the last 2 events myself and knock out the poor scores to get on the team. I’ve even brought a bit of inspiration on holidays as preparation…..

A great read and nearly a month to put it into practice before Tullamore.

Mount Juliet will be class for captains , FairPlay Fix 👏🏻👏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Snackbox20

Hoping I can make this too, loved the last time I played there. Looking forward to captains too 👍👍

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Not sure about the win here for me, my swing changes from my lessons will take time to bed in

Every single competition we play here is off the back tees so it will be great to be even a few foot forward for the day.

Course is in fantastic condition at the moment and I’ll take a few pics Sunday / Monday when I’m playing again to show it off. Everyone should enjoy the round here

I got injections into both my ankles yesterday so hopefully they will be right and I can get back playing proper golf, it’s been very unpleasant the last 8 months so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will do my best to make this, but not sure yet. Really hope to get up, as i was a member there for a year and loved the course. Some cracking holes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Only played here once with boards in 2016 I think.

Great track.

Need a top 3 finish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ciano15

Was really looking forward to this one but wont be able to make it as ill be in portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Really looking forward to this one. Another new course for me and have heard good things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Did a sneaky reconnaissance round yesterday. Course is nice. Finished with 32 points. Will be looking to increase that next time out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Not that sneaky if you are coming clean on the forum about it. 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

You making an appearance @Macker1 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Should be a new rule next year - ok if it falls for you naturally - but a ban of intentional reconnaissance.

In particular because it is a very difficult word to spell.

All - I mentioned early on that I wanted a bit of coaching at an outing. So I've asked the pro in Tullamore (Corey Doherty) if he could possibly put on a 1 hour short game clinic from 1230 to 1330 - there is probably room for 12 to 15 - and would suit the early starters. Could you thank this post if this sounds like something you would be interested in. If you are, put your self out early I guess. Not 100 % on this yet - wanted to make sure people would travel that early for this.

16th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Stayed there last night. Was hoping to get out for a few today.

Carried shopping bags instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Had the pleasure of showing the lads around yesterday morning, showed them exactly where not to hit the ball a few times!!

Greens were a bit slower than normal but the course is in decent condition. My putting was way off unfortunately and I had 7 x 3 putts I think in the end.

Again ...7 people have thanked above post ...with me we are at 8 ...so not far off the required 12.

Again when timesheet opens please allow people going to short game clinic to take first 12 slots thanks

Is the timesheet going live today or on the 13th?

I think I'll be going for as late a time as possible so will miss the clinic. It's a good idea though and something I could do with.

Yes will open at 1900 hrs...again please leave first 3 slots for short game clinic ...

Ah grand. The pop up on the app says it's going live on 13th, so I just wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭bobster453

Cost for short game clinic?

Free Bobster .

Also please remember to enter 2s...

And see top up advice in other thread ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

who am I to turn down a free short game lesson... 🤣

Advertisement