Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society (Round 7) Tullamore Golf Club (27th Aug 1400 hrs)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭spuddy4711

Expect my game to improve at Tullamore due to the complimentary lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,812 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Good stuff all.

See there are 9 in for the first groups...I hope to join makes it 10.

Then some from gaps in first 3 should make it a good group for short game clinic.

More details at end of month...

Thanks,

Fix

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭a post punk

I wont make it early enough for the clinic but a great idea again Cap,I need to stay in the early slot though on the day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Put myself in the 1st group there, as i'll come along for the short game clinic. Don't mind if i get moved around in the groups though.

Thanks all - again details are not 100 % firmed up - need to see if people would actually come early - so fair play for the enthusiasm again.

There is scope for more in group 4 to sign up - but I will issue exact details when I have them.

• Advertisement

Very nice HD clips on You tube if you want to look up more holes. There are some holes that have unusual doglegs worth looking at.

On Front worth looking at 5 , 7 and 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just get your drive beyond the juveniles teebox on 1 and you'll have outdriven both myself and benny79 significantly 🤔

Its a great course, and really looking forward to playing it again. Few holes that are real risk/reward if you have the distance (5th, 8th, 10th and 16th).

The 16th is the best hole on the course, and easily my favourite (though i have a soft spot for the 7th, where i got my first ever eagle).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭blue note

5th really is a great risk reward hole if you have the distance. Playing safe to the middle of the fairway is grand if you hit it there. Miss the fairway to the right and you're wet. Miss to the left and it's a very long second you'll be left with. So you might be tempted to play a little safer and aim for the left of the fairway. If you pull it a bit you could have 200m left to the green. Which wouldn't be the worst thing!

I don't think I've ever gone for the green on 10 even though I'd easily have the distance, but have no idea of the line.

I like the par 3s on the course. 6, 11 and 17 are all long enough holes and the greens I never felt were terribly big. Hard holes to make a par on.

I always really liked the 4th - green is very reachable in 2, but you're going in with a long iron and it's not the easiest green to hit. I'd be tempted to hit an iron from the tee to remove the temptation to go for it in 2.

I never actually liked the 10th hole because I tend to slice it and you can't start it left with the trees so close to you. I suppose I can't fault a course for testing my limitations.

13th is a lovely hole - an intimidating drive where you're hitting between trees. It always reminded me of those huge statues of the two men in Lord of the Rings, at the end of the fellowship I think. If you get it through them it's an easy par 4.

14th is a proper hard index 1. get the drive away and it's makeable in 2, but a tough approach. And even the green isn't easy.

I always scored very well on 16 so never had the fear of it that I was supposed to. But was always a satisfying par.

And 18 is a great finishing hole. I've played here plenty of times and it's the only hole I don't recall parring. You need to stay left from the tee so that you're not blocked off from the green by trees. I rarely did that.

I'm looking forward to this round! I just hope I don't end up going down thinking about which side of the fairway I'd like to hit on each hole and then by the third hole have to ask people not to stand perpendicular to where I'm aiming.

What your handicap now Blue Note , you've a great mind for golf and strategy.

Could have another win on our hands with your course knowledge..need someone to calm the leaders run....

• Advertisement

15.2 nowadays. I was 18.4 for the first comp, but I've played away rounds mostly since then so gotten it down a bit further. 15.2 is the best 8 from my 14 away rounds. I wonder if I could replace my 6 home ones with away rounds might I be able to come down another shot.

And I'll pretend I've no aspirations to win, but in reality we all start our rounds in hope. I've a playing handicap of 17 there. I never had a big score in Tullamore (from a points perspective, gross I've had them plenty big), but I've plenty of shots so if I can keep the doubles and scratches off my card I should have a chance of something decent.

And I don't expect strategy to be the problem, but plenty of things could put their hand up for their turn to ruin my round on the day. I've been driving very well in my last few rounds - I'm due a day of slicing it the width of a couple of fairways. Or crazy first putts are always likely too - going 10 feet short or long on my first putts. And blading / duffing wedges are good round wreckers too. 80m from the middle of the green and I'm not entirely sure if I'll be 40m short, 60m long or pin high. No strategy can counter those things.

If anyone wants a lift down or back by the way I'll be driving from Portmarnock and have an empty car. I'm out last but could spin down a little early. Just to save everyone bringing a car if some of us are going from the same spot.

OK all, 7 spots to go.

Will review next week to offer spaces back to club if no movement.

Know about 2 more to come in....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Course is in fantastic condition but playing very hard with the fine weather.

The 11th, yeah? How are the greens these days?

Was thinking earlier what the best longest drive hole is. 4th or 13th maybe? 15th could work, though that stream half way up would probably stop people going for it.

Yupp the 11th. Hit the drive of the year right up to the fringe of the green!!

I’d go with 13 for long drive! Only other one really is 18

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bobster453

Looking forward to @charlieIRL s hole by hole breakdown of the course.

Cant beat a bit of local knowledge.

Fade your tee shots, middle of the green on approach and avoid the water on 5 & 7!!! :)

I better not get the “Course Guide Curse” for doing this, however …..

Tullamore is a tough course but is mostly all out in front of you. Keep out of the trees and the water!!!

1.       Drive to the left is best for approach. Uphill green. Left or right in trees is a lost ball

2.       There’s more room behind the front bunker than you think but don’t go long - lost ball again

3.       Keep left with tee shot on this long tough par 4. OOB right and ball bounces into it if it lands close to the trees. - another lost ball. Ground is hard so it will bounce in.  

4.       3 wood is plenty – it’s 3 good shots to the green. Don’t go left with approach as anything in the tress is gone. I did say to stay out of them!!

5.       3 wood depending on tee box. If it’s foward I can drive it over the pond. Water right and fairway feeds down into it. 

6.       Long par 3, get the distance and make sure to hit that number. Soft sand in front bunker and balls get plugged. Wait till you see the shot I had Saturday morning - see pic at end

7.       Stay left as fairway feeds into the pond, OOB on the right of the green too. 

8.       Risk / Reward – you need to play here a few times to know the line to go for the green in 1. If you use driver off the tee you risk going into the rough the far side of the fairway. Lost ball!! Common theme here eh?!!

9.       Easiest par 3, PW or 9 iron

10.   Hug the tall trees to the left hitting a draw. Hit the trees and its hard to find the ball. Too far right of the fairway and it’s a lost ball too. 

11.   Lay up to top of hill or aim for the post in the distance – if its dry I can nearly drive the green. Too far right is OOB

12.   Another tough Par 3 – do not go long, long left or long right!!! A 4 here is a good score.

13.   Through the trees, OOB right. Keep straight!!

14.   Drive it over the bunker but not too far right, catch the tall trees and ball can bounce OOB. Tough tough bugger of an index 1

15.   If its dry – 3 wood, I can drive it into the drain in the summer. Don’t go long when going for the green

16.   Keep right, anything left is a hack out sideways. Go for the green if you are on the fairway!

17.   Another damm tough par 3. Use 1 club more than normal

18.   Keep left with drive unless you go absolutely crazy right – then you MIGHT have a clear line to the green. Putting green and surrounding areas is OOB. 

Spot the ball!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

For reference, when Charlie says PW/9i, it probably means a 7/8i for most mortals

It’s only 138m!!

Fair play all filling the slots ...could be a full house .

1 more slot to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ah stop trying to scare us Charlie, it's not that hard! It's a proper test, but not off the charts by any stretch. I don't remember it being too bad for loading balls.

I know I'm going to regret posting that.

And on an aside, why not make the longest drive interesting and do it on the 5th? Too conservative and you could run out to the rough even if you go for it and succeed. Too daring and you're wet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anyone measuring in meters needs to be taken out the back and seen to

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I don't like uphill nearest the pin holes....but to be honest the other par 3s are too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭bobster453

Thanks @charlieIRL .Think I will stay home and paint instead😀

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭a post punk

Thanks for the blunt course knowledge Charlie ( jaysus) it’s going to be a tough day !!!

• Advertisement

To score well in Tullamore you definitely need some course management, play sensibly and you will be fine. I have definitely noticed that when I travel to other parkland courses, I can score ok on them and I credit this to playing Tullamore.

The fairways are mostly generous, but like any course - go too far off line a land it’s……..*

* insert frustrating word here!!

Advertisement