Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I blackmail my landlord?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Without reading the OPs post beyond the title heading, you absolutely should blackmail your landlord OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Maybe they worked hard to own all the homes?

By the way they won’t own the homes unless the mortgages are paid off on them.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I haven't read all the posts, but......

I can only presume at this stage the landlord is tied up and locked in the box room🗝️ and OP ransom demands have been issued to their remaining family members.....💲

Maybe the OP can set up a GOFUND me page and us Boardies can try to contribute to the landlord's safe passage back home.....😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If the LL hasn’t registered with the RTB, couldn’t he just pay the late registration fee if the op did report him? No big deal, he’ll be out of pocket a few quid when he pays it, but it’s hardly going to be something he would give into blackmail for.

I think the op watches to much tv, or is an absolute eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Archeron

I thought cats like boxes??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I have a rental property, and it’s registered with the PRTB, and yet if I use the search function on their website, and no matter how I spell it, I can’t find it. Only way it comes up is if I log in to my “own” page.

So very possible it is registered, it’s just that you can’t find it.

A far better indicator in this instance is if the landlord insists on payment in cash.

But either way, you idea is ridiculous. You could be opening the biggest can of worms for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Go on try it, I know what I would do if I was your LL

👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If I were him I'd say 'ok you got me'.

And then one day you'd come back to your stuff on the footpath. Changed locks. And a complete denial.

See you in court in 2 and a half years.

• Advertisement

LL would see the probability of having to make a big payout grow exponentially.

Play silly games, win silly prizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

One thing to note, the RTB website, I wouldn’t be confident that is right 👍

What understanding of tenant legislation?

That’s you by the way. You can’t **** a tenant out on the street without risking a massive payout following an RTB judgement. A tenant can bring a dispute to the RTB even if the tenancy isn’t registered, did you not know that?

Thread isn’t about you stupid.

But you said the LL should put the tenants stuff out on the path and change locks. That would be an illegal eviction, and a likely substantial payout by the LL.

I was trying to tell you that the above would be the type of response anyone enquiring would receive. Stonewall responses such as 'I don't have tenants' 'never heard of him'.

It would be like trying to get a bike back from a certain community.

It would be nothing like it.

What you don’t seem to understand is that a tenants rights are unaffected by whether a tenancy is registered or not. You simply cannot put a tenants stuff out on the street and change the locks.

But they never were tenants.

I've never heard of them.

Sure I don't have tenants. Whats a tenant. I don't even own that house. Goodbye.

RTB: Here is your fine, in equal part due to the fact that the tenant was illegally evicted, and because you are an idiot to think we don’t believe a tenancy existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If the RTB online register is indeed not worth a sh*te, this thread has served a purpose by highlighting it. What's the problem here - another useless, incompetent state agency that keeps sloppy records? Or has failed to drag itself into the 21st century where we have the internet on dem computer things.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

i miss the ireland where cos our grandparents grew up under british rule we were all reared not to be grasses, somehow thats gone now and we are discussing blackmailing a landlord.

did the landlord do something mean to you ?

is it simpe blackmail as in hes no worse than any other landlord but you want free rent.

just do it i wanna see what happens you, by rights you should be prosecuted and then name in paper and shunned as a blackmailer.

to the moral brigade if this is about the landlord being wrong then the op knew since 2019 and has been complicit since then.

probably paying his tax and just forgot to reg with them prtb crowd.

such a letter, if it ever arrived, might be dated 2029. (this bureaucracy is based in Ireland after all).

probably easier to just not try blackmailing people.

Before you post anymore rubbish, head over to the RTB website and have a look at some of their decisions, or, just google some of the fines it has imposed on LLs.

Do they list all the ones they missed? Do they list the times they found in the ll's favor?

You have to prove such things. Burden is on you.

And if some clown is trying to blackmail me I'd have done my homework long before d-day believe it.

Jesus wept, informing the RTB that a LL isn’t registered isn’t a crime. If the LL went to the Gardai about it, they would say “register your property, end of problem”. You are the clown if you think the RTB would side with a LL if he/she dumped the tenants belongings on the street and changed the locks.

The RTB is not a court where you must prove an allegation beyond a reasonable doubt, they take it on which is the more believable, and they only deal with disputes related to the RTA, not criminality. If the op claimed they were evicted illegally, the burden would be on the LL to show he/she acted legally as the RTA is clear about how an notice of termination must be served, the reasons for termination, and the notice period. The RTA states it is an offence to act on foot of an illegal eviction notice.

Do they list the times they found in the LLs favour? Yes, they list their decisions irrespective of whether they found for tenant or LL.

"You are the clown if you think the RTB would side with a LL if he/she dumped the tenants belongings on the street and changed the locks."

If indeed they do believe that actually did occur.

"the burden would be on the LL"

Who's the Landlord? I'm not the land lord. I don't know these people. What tenancy?

It would take years before any dispute began. Thats what solicitors are for.

This blackmail stuff is sounding a lot like hard work. Probably easier to just do actual work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

my landlord is having his mortgage paid by the local council via r.a.s. scheme, thank god i havn't seen him for three years and i'm so happy that my bathroom isn't in pieces/the radiators are in tip top condition, not cold and broken.....pass the rope !!!

We the tax payers are paying rent on your behalf, for that, you get to live in the property. The Council are not paying your landlords mortgage, he has to pay tax on the income, they are paying a subsidy for you to live there, without it, you would be paying the whole rent out of your pocket.

Be thankful, many private renters don’t have the benefit you receive from the State. If you are unhappy about the situation, look for a place that you pay rent all by your lonesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement