Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I blackmail my landlord?

Options
  • 25-08-2022 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

I've been living here a few years and I know for a fact he hasn't registered my property. In fact I've known since 2019.

Still, things are relatively amicable between him and I. But times are getting tougher and with this meaty piece of leverage I figure I could save myself a lot of money.

I'm not a bad man, I don't think. The worst thing I've ever did was put a cat into a toy box as punishment, but I was very young and didn't realise it was bad. Now I actually love cats.

But what would stop me from saying something like: "Listen up Mr [redacted]. You fancy yourself as a cute hoor obviously, but I'm cuter. I know how the internet works and I've typed in the address of your house - and my HOME - into the RTB website and low and behold, you're a confirmed cute hoor. I'm not going to shop you to the RTB, but make no mistake that I WILL if you don't let me stay here until March, rent free. The ball is in your court, Mr [redacted]. You're the landlord, but I am the captain now and I will steer me to homelessness and you to the f**king calaboose if you do not comply."

I would no doubt word this a little more subtly. I might use the word prison instead of calaboose, but that's the overall jist. 

Is he the wanker for saving himself a fortune in income tax or would I be the wanker for saving myself a few sheckles to get me through the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

not registered with RTB does not mean he isn't paying tax. It is a minor offense with a minor fine if they decide to go to court at all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

do you hang out at all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

Nah, you're the w#£ker. Good luck with the house hunting after this one ends- you'll need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I read that tax avoidance is the most common and logical reason for not being registered.

Still doesn't mean tax evasion and the source for that information would be suspect as how could they ever ask people not registered. The RTB are notorious for not being able to handle the transactions and don't update the website. The OP knows nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

Don't stop at just the rent, they'll only know the tables have really turned if you insist on Ius primae noctis with the landlord's daughters and sons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Even the fellow who stole the car in Cabra and put the baby on the side of the road thinks that the op is a bad egg

Well it's been three years and it isn't showing up on the RTB website so let's assume it isn't a case of the website not being updated and that this landlord, like many landlords, is simply a cute hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You do know that what you're considering is itself an offence under Section 17 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1994? A far more serious matter than failure to register a property.

Please tell me you've at least looked into your own exposure in such a venture.

Either way I'll have somewhere to live for free for a while 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,043 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

House next door to me has been rented for over a decade, not showing up when I search the register but RTB confirmed it is registered. So you can't know for a fact by searching the register online, it's notoriously inaccurate. There are so many ways an address can appear on the register anyway (abbreviations, full stops etc) and that's before typos.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

What an absolute gombeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

No, you definitely shouldn't do that. If you need a break on your rent in the short term, what you do is you talk to him directly. No intermediaries, email, phone call or even better face-to-face. And you don't mention, or even hint, that you know he hasn't registered the property. You keep that information to yourself, at least for the time being.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The RTB register online is not even vaguely accurate, so you may make yourself look exceptionally stupid on that alone. Not even bothering with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

You will - most definitely! This is a sure way to get free accommodation in a nice comfy cell - even if it's only for a short while. You'd make lots of friends in your new accommodation too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Of course blackmail the landlord. He's collecting the lolly, you're paying it.

Of course, -- but do it subtly; just mention lightly that you're leaving next March, you just hope the RTB haven't heard about you...

The bigger question here is how would you definitively check that it's registered without ratting out the landlord in the process? Decisions decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too like to post shite to the Internet, op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Blackmail him all the way , I'd also like to welcome you to homeless services.

"Crack" is the in thing in hostel I work in , pretty good for weight loss and losing your inhibitions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you pay rent in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 button_smith

yeah...and you'll get a free stay in the local hospital, courtesy of 'angry upset shady landlord man' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

You are indeed acute hooor.

i wold recommend you send him the terms of the deal by e-Mail.

That way he won’t have a leg to stand on if he reneged on the deal

Go for it and see how it goes. Cowardly and blackmailer go hand in hand, you seem to have decided even though you don't know anything.

He'll be less upset about it than you are for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Last week you were looking to see a tit for free and this week you want to blackmail the landlord.

I would have thought a man who paid for the Luas would not resort to blackmail.

Very transparent windup OP.

It isn't a wind up. You think anything and everything written with a certain tone is a wind up but it isn't. Sometimes you can be seriously interested in the answer of a question - because this thread and the one about breastfeeding were both QUESTIONS! - and irreverent at the same time. It's not a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Maybe offer him sexual favours instead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

For your own sake you should stop now, you are just not good enough to pull it off. Clearly you don’t even know the basics like the difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion, the potential criminal charges you could face and so on. Most likely you’ll end up on the loosing side.

Advertisement