Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I blackmail my landlord?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Your rent for a few months is much larger than the fine for not being registered , back off, threatening your landlord is a bad idea, you could lose your deposit, its very unlikely the landlord is not paying tax on rental income,. I think blackmail is just morally wrong, you should have got a rent book when you moved in. Move out if you can't afford the rent , also you may need a reference from the landlord for the next tenancy you apply for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Just report him when you move out, no point in causing hassle for yourself now. He'll get back at you if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

It's this type of bullshit by the OP that has every decent part-time landlord selling up because it isn't worth the hassle and risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

its very unlikely the landlord is not paying tax on rental income

Now there's a jump (and in the same week that a TD lost his ministerial post for doing dodgy stuff) ... everybody in this state who can avoid paying tax does so.

Landlords are one of the best known categories of tax evaders and tax avoiders. I've had a few dodgy landlords in my time, and my guess is that the reason he isn't on the register is because he is not paying tax on the proceeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Never mind the rent, was the cat let out of the box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is blackmail not illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

And is the cat both dead and alive at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

My word this is an awful post. Firstly, if the landlords you're talking about were 'decent' then they wouldn't be forced to sell up because of this sort of 'bullshit' because they would be bulletproof against it in the form of having their property registered.

Secondly, are you trying to drum up sympathy for a group of people who own mulitiple homes in a landscape where most people can't even afford one? Talk about privilege.

Yep and it might be let out of the bag in the near future too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

Lay off the old Marxist sauce for a while. I'm not talking about bad landlords or guys like Troy owning 11 properties. I'm talking about the couple who are renting out a house one of them might have inherited or an apartment one of them owned before they met and moved in together. People who decided to try renting the property and then ended up with asshole tenants like you blackmailing them. I hope you get turfed out on your arse by the poor landlord and end up living in a tent while someone decent and deserving gets the apartment and the fair landlord.

• Advertisement

You need old newspapers and prittstick, Hammer. Wear gloves and carefully cut out the letters to compose your blackmail note. Maybe a disguise in case you're caught on CVTV when you post the letter? Actually, best walk with a limp too, can't be too careful after all.

Pick up some cat food on the way back, if the cat eats it it's likely to still be alive.

You've literally just made up a scenario in your head and are arguing in their favour. Do you know how crazy that is?

My landlord talking about my tenancy after the ploy goes awry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This absolute tune sums up this fakey thread.

Time to kidnap one of his loved ones and demand a ransom for their release then.

Hold onto the newspapers just in case, the scissors might come in handy too if you need to start cutting off fingers.

He's from [redacted] so expecting his children to have all their digits is a stretch to begin with 🙂

Trolling is against the rules here you know. Calling it a 'fakey' thread to bait me, after me already telling you it isn't a fake thread, is obvious trolling. I don't want to rat you out because as far as I can tell you're not a landlord, but come on.

I'm sure they've more than enough ears to get him worried enough to take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Fcuking hell OP I hope you get some professional help for your fragile mental health, bitterness comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

If you did that on me you would b happy to move out voluntarily

What a hateful spiteful ncut....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

A simple no don't do it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

Turn the tables completely, start charging the fcuker rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I've a property, its rented on airbnb as it is officially a holiday home. Over 70% of the houses in the development are rented to long term renters or owner occupied (planners don't seem to be concerned)

I looked at renting it out long term. The net result would be less income (not much), but also a lot less work, so the net result of renting it long term would be more beneficial to me.

But I read and hear of horror stories and the op is a classic. On paper it would seem that he/she is a good tenant, yet beneath the surface is an ongoing "how can I stick it to the landlord" mantra.

That mantra is far too prevalent these days, so I've opened the airbnb bookings for next year after deciding the potential hassles of renting long term are far worse than the inconveniences of operating it as an airbnb.

Won't somebody think of the cat that may or not be alive?

#catslivesmatter

Listen, I've made a mistake and I'll hold my hands up. I realise now that you're all a bunch of homeowners and cannot possibly relate to the struggles of a renting man.

But if you were interested in seeing how the other half live, go on Daft.ie and look at the landlord charging €1,400 to sleep in a hotpress, or the other landlord charging €800 to live in the boot of his Volvo.

These are not very nice people. They are greedy. I'm sure there's some lovely ones out there, but there's a strong possibility Mr [redacted] hasn't registered his property and if you think an admin error on a website is more likely than common greed then that reinforces my point, that you're a bunch of homeowners completely detatched to the reality of renting in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I wouldn't bother doing anything. Squeeliing on people or getting revenge can be sweet, but someday someone will catch you out and you'll wonder was it worth shopping your landlord.

Whether they're a such thing as karma or not that's a debate. But it's not worth you giving him free rent in his head or visa versa. It only lead's to reminding yourself that you're revengeful and like a dog with a bone you won't let it go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it would be what is known as a dick move.

There's a cat in a box here, why is everyone worried about the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Have you any idea of how many people rent without issue and many have decent landlords? You can point to a couple of example of bad landlords but equally bad tenants exist if not more so because there are no consequences. Either way grouping all landlords and tenants to be at some war with a good and bad side is just ridiculous. Any idea how many people would be homeless if it wasn't for landlords. Do you want to tell my mother's tenant of 40 years that she is an abuse relationship with women in her 80s?

The website is known to be wrong and you do not know if he is registered or not and doesn't mean he isn't paying tax. You will find most people will say a blackmailer is worse than a landlord and that say a lot given how landlords are seen in this country.

You want to keep arguing your point but seem to be afraid to actually do it. If you are so sure you are right do it and see how it goes. It doesn't sound like your landlord did anything to you so I don't get what other landlords have done is of any relevance. You want to punish your landlord because other landlords have done something . Whatever way you want to warp that you know that is unfair

• Advertisement

Any idea how many people would be homeless if it wasn't for landlords.

Lmao. Any idea how many people are homeless BECAUSE of greedy landlords?

There's a record number of homeless people in this country Ray. And oddly enough rents are at an all-time high. There's a correlation there you know.

Advertisement