Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

This will come as a surprise to the Kilkenny People. Lyng being manager that is, not Carey going travelling.

I know it's not much of a paper but claiming that Lyng had ruled himself out of the running - morto!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Why is the Borough v loughs game not put off till later in the evening when it might be a small bit cooler. Player welfare my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

Lads going travelling or taking a year out has become much more common the last few years. The commitment now is throug the roof. Lyng will have his own ideas anyway and having tj next year is a huge boost. He'll be hoping a few more of the older lads give it another go.looking at Buckley last week against Glenmore he is still some athlete. Looking at Brian dowlings back room team it was impressive so It's absolutely vital the county board don't penny pinch and give him their full support. This crap about begging for things at this level is unacceptable. It was obvious this year that the s&c was up to the required level at u20.

Lyng will know he'll need to get cian kenny,mikey butler and David blanchfield in the gym this winter.Sean Purcell is one of the overage u20 who will be worth a few runs during the league.We're lucky we've a few good goalies in the county and Tallis was excellent this year. I was talking to a chap from the u20 who was telling me they had plans and tactics for puckouts. They worked on this in training.Our puckouts and movement was very poor with little or nothing done in training so this at least will be a help for next year.

Our year changed this year when we started to use the ball better. We're not a million miles away but we definitely need to find a few players during the year. deegans time in defence could be over. Shane Walsh was very good a few weeks ago and hopefully he'll be close to the team. Lads like bill sheehan could come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Do some of those lads want to be in the gym thou? I mean some lads just don't/won't do the gym work as it should be and hence haven't developed physically...

I see clara and tullaroan result has been now deemed a draw. Fare play to co board for using the available video evidence and obviously the ref must have put his hand up too. Also I see water breaks will be back in force for the games this wkend. Sensible stuff 👏

I see young lads in my own club 17 or 18 in the gym and drinking these protein shakes. They're jogging the pitch when they're not training. Things have completely changed and alot of lads are self driven and look after themselves. The day of carrying a big belly is gone. I see the way the lads look after themselves for club level now.

I've no doubt kenny and butler will fill out but all that s&c takes time.All these lads at senior level have years behind them.Mickey comerford seemed to have them right this year. It looked like fitness was a contributing factor to the big leads we threw away a few years ago. The players rate him highly.I will say the u20 got their act together and all the talk about Limerick u20 being so far ahead physically we certainly matched them that day. If these lads put in the hard work they should reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

A very strange display out of Gavin Quilty with 4 red cards dished out in the second half of the Boro's win over O'Loughlins.

Paddy Deegan was the first to go with a second yellow for a hurl to Evan Carrolls head, a touch but obviously sore from Carrolls reaction. It was fairly innocuous stuff, I missed Paddys first yellow.

Padraig Moylan was the next to go again with two yellows. His first yellow card wasn't even in the same parish as a free let alone a card. He dived across the player about 3 yards ahead of him to block the ball ala JJ Delaney famous block they replayed loads of times. The problem was Quilty was so far behind the play he thought Padraig hit the OLG man, he never touched him. His second yellow was silly he shouldered the OLG man sprinting forward in the chest on his own 65 there was just no need for it this did deserve a yellow but he should have still been on the pitch.

Anthony Forristal was next to go, when he took Andy Gaffney out of it after he scored a savage second goal on the volley. This was a straight red and probably the only call I would say could be called right. You could also probably make the case he was just trying to prevent the goal but for me he was late.

Alan Phelans straight red followed a few minutes later and totally baffles me. Alan and the OLG man were tussling for the ball with Alan behind his man on the Boro end line. Alan foolishly put his hand on the OLG players shoulder and he dropped to the ground like a sack of spuds and bought his free (fair enough). How he got a red card out of it I do not know. Maybe he flaked someone on the ground after but I didn't see it and there was no reaction out of the crowd at all. Except laughter and disbelief when he showed him the red. Maybe someone can tell me what he did but certainly didn't see anything other than a foul in it, might be my maroon and white tinted glasses but I genuinely didn't see anything in it.

As I heard 5 or 6 times coming out 4 red cards and not a dirty stroke in the game, everyone was mystified.

A nice win for the Boro 2-17 to 1-13 was good in the conditions. OLG's lack of quality forwards really hurt them and they drove a criminal amount of wides which the Boro did in the first half too. Andy Gaffney, Bill Sheehan and Liam Moore looked very good today again. Huw Lawlor, Mickey Butler and Jamie Young were the best for OLG in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

Paddy Deegan's first yellow was for having 'words' with the referee, second offence was a clear yellow. Can't recall Moylan's first yellow but he took Lawlor out of it and it was a clear yellow. Straight red was a correct decision. Last red was harsh but it was 2 yellows. It wasn't a dirty game by any means but a few cynical fouls

Otherwise agree with your summation. OLG lost Robbie Buckley and Mark Bergin to injuries and missed a number of frees but the Boro were the better team

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Bridge walloped village. Very impressive work rate given the heat and lovely style. Liam Blanchfield lorded the skies. Any injuries and it gets bad quick. Totally out manned village who were kept in it with frees (some soft). Delightful to see

Post edited by The Birchfield Boy on

• Advertisement

Blanchfield was outstanding. He scored an early goal to set the Bridge on the way. A second well worked goal finished off by Nicky Cleere gave them a six point margin which they never relinquished. The Village scored 12 of their 17 points from frees and really only Tadgh O'Dwyer carried the fight. Enda Morrissey and David Blanchfield were good in defence and Sean Morrissey got some tidy scores. Diarmuid Cody was missing through injury. The Village play Dicksboro and OLG in their last 2 matches and could end up in the bottom 2. Tadgh O'Dwyer got a late red card so will miss next game

Post edited by blackcard on

The break from the county has definitely done blanchfield and bill sheehan the world of good. Liam definitely has a pep In his step this year and I know someone said he's going travelling but maybe with a new manager and a arm around the shoulder he might have a fresh appetite. If the bridge won the county final who knows what might happen. Wexford getting hit badly with players travelling. Robbie Buckley looked to have picked up a serious injury I hope its not too serious. The boro will be thrilled after the bad start they've two wins from 3. They've Clifford and oillie Walsh to return and hopefully Harry shine gets a taste of senior club hurling. That's two dissapointing performances from o loughlins after a good start and while they won't panic yet they'll be dissapointed with these results. The bridge continued their impressive run and the form of Liam blanchfield is a huge plus. Nickey cleere is probably the second best free taker in the county.Clara got the better of a poor comer side who are also struggling and desperately miss Michael Murphy for scores. Clara will be happy sitting on 5 points and also down a few players. The league is the league I wouldn't be getting too carried away with teams yet how many times have we seen the league winners getting bet the next day out or teams in a relegation semi final going on a good run.Joey is a huge loss to the shamrocks but they'll still be very hard to beat its a big year for the bridge alot of them are at the right age now and willie maher has a few years working with this group.They have definitely done a lot of work in the pre season.

A deplated shamrocks team with tj on the bench got the better of a hard working lisdowney team. Lisdowney will be dissapointed with alot of wides but shamrocks drove a few near the end.Lisdowney could of got something from this game but the shamrocks just got their scores easier. Cody was very dangerous and linked up well with young shortall who is a plus for them. They're also trying to blood a few new players but Colin is back in a few weeks and when they get their full selection it will be very hard beat them. I was impressed with lisdowney though it was the last strike that let them down. They should have enough to stay up. Vegas and gbc are struggling this year.

Tullaron had the pitch in great condition and its a nice set up they have. Plenty of all Ireland medals directing traffic. Its great for places like tullaron to host these big games.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Marrooned

When people hear a report of four players being sent off they would have being expecting either a melee or a bloodbath,none of which happened . Referee too much up in his own arse treating players like kids with punishments for small demeanors like moving the ball up for trying to state your case this is very frustrating on the players and an exclamation from the ref might be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Grats

I think the high temperature got to the ref!

Surprising but deserved win for Mullinavat over Tullaroan. They had a number of players back from injury whilst Tullaroan were nowhere near as effective as they were against Clara. In particular, the spine of their team of Tommy Walsh,Padraig Walsh, Mossy Keoghan and Shane Walsh did not get on the ball as much as they needed. By contrast, Michael Malone was like a magnet for the ball and Padraig Dempsey and John Walsh kept the scoreboard ticking. Tullaroan's next match with Lisdowney is vital in determining the bottom two. If Vegas can repeat their performance of today, they should be safe from relegation. Ballycallan are probably favourites for relegation, not sure if any of their injured players will return

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Didn't get to any of the games this weekend unfortunately. Thanks to all who posted bits and pieces about them. Great to get a sense of what went on. Things starting to shape up now after 3 games. Ballyhale, Boro, Bridge, Clara and Loughs look like they'll be the ones in the shake up on form at the minute but a lot can change over coming weeks. Tullaroan dark horses. Was not anticipating a Mullinavat win today. Big few weeks ahead for them now. GBC look destined for relegation semi and a fair chance they'll be joined by the Village. Great to have the club scene back in full swing

I think it has been brilliant to have had so much club action in August. With another round of the intermediate championship next week followed by another 2 rounds of the senior championship, it makes a big change from when you would get one weekend of club action and then nothing during some of the best weather of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Village87

Who is leaving the Wexford set up due to Travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭big_drive

Paudie Foley , Kevin Foley, Shane Reck, Damien reck

All going to Australia. The Recks might be only for rest of this year, I read an article last night that mentioned it.

Two bennets from Waterford going travelling aswell

• Advertisement

Ballyhale are the clear favourites but I think that there is hope for the others. Joey Holden is missing whilst Brian Cody and Joey Cuddihy have not been on the panel to date, not sure if they are injured. Darren Mullen has missed the last 2 games, indeed Adrian was the only one of the Mullen's on the panel on Saturday. The Shamrocks full back line looks a bit more vulnerable than last year and Evan Shefflin has dropped back there at times. Colin Fennelly has missed a lot of training.

Dicksboro look next best and beat OLG while missing Ollie Walsh and Timmy Clifford. They seem to have strength in depth with Conor Doheny and Harry Shine in the subs.

OLG lost Robbie Buckley and Mark Bergin to what looked serious enough injuries. If this is so, I can't see them winning. They need a reliable freetaker

The Village have been dissapointing in 2 of their matches, Diarmuid Cody was out injured the weekend. They have yet to meet Dicksboro and OLG and could end up in the bottom two. I can't see them progressing beyond the semi final. Conor Browne hasn't really left his mark to date.

The Bridge have won their 3 matches to date. Robert Lennon may be back from injury but it is unlikely that Jason Cleere will be back. They were impressive enough last year too before coming up against the Shamrocks. Like most teams, they will hope to avoid them and Dicksboro to get to the final.

Clara got results against Ballyhale and Tullaroan even though they were second best. They will not be beaten easily as they have a solid team. Need Chris Bolger to star if they are going to progress

Tullaroan were dissapointing against Mullinavat after impressing against Clara. They need Shane Walsh to score from play and start running at defenders as he has been a bit dissapointing to date. A quarter final exit

Only saw 2 of Glenmore's games. Very impressive against the Village, well beaten against Dicksboro. Maybe a quarter final exit

Lisdowney played very well against the Shamrocks and play a nice brand of hurling but don't look strong enough in some positions

Mullinavat were poor in their first 2 games before beating Tullaroan with a number of their injured players returning. Will do well to avoid the bottom 2 but should be good enough to avoid regulation.

Erins Own are struggling in their forwards and will probably end up in the bottom 2.

Ballycallan have also struggled and may end up in the regulation play-off

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Neewollah

Think you're fairly spot on in your assessment of all clubs current positions.

Shamrocks will have a couple of questions asked defensively minus Joey this year but hasn't seem to affect them too much to date. Hard to see any team holding their forwards to the required level.

Boro definitely next in line followed by Bennettsbridge and as you said Clara will be hard to beat but probably lacking enough forwards to win it out.

Loughs chances seriously dented with loss of Buckley and Bergin along with Eoin Wall being out also.

Ballyhale did lose to Clara conceding 2-22 and were behind in the last 10 minutes to Lisdowney. Their full back line of Cian Cullen, Stephen Barron and Hillian Corcoran isn't very experienced.Grasping at straws but there is reason to hope that they may not be as good as last year. Nothing against the Shamrocks but a rest would be good for them this Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Nedflanders02

I think Darren Mullen and Brian Cody are on holidays so should be back soon, You’d imagine that if if they can get Darren and Paddy Mullen back they’d be able to move things around at the back to strengthen things up but Joey will be a massive loss come the business end of the championship.

I’ve heard Liam Blanchfield doesn’t have much interest in coming back to play inter county so it might take a good bit of convincing to get him back. I think Bill Sheehan’s form has been really good the first few games and looks more ready for inter county now than he did when he first came on the panel. Andy Gaffney is another who has started well and is very talented I wonder would he be option to bring in also? Stephen Donnelly seems to be another one who has started the season well and is doing his chances no harm!

It’s hard to judge teams this early but I think with players coming back from holidays it’ll be only in the next few weeks that we see how teams really are shaping up. It’s early days yet but Comer and GBC look to be in the biggest trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Fixtures page on the KKGAA website acting up for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Comerman

Yep 👍 Tables tab is fine but no fixtures/results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,857 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Just on Colin fennelly there, he has been hurling in America all summer, along with Joey Holden. Standard wouldn't be great but it's not like he hasn't been training. They'll be playing in the US nationals this weekend (I'm just assuming he and Holden will be going with the team for that) and presumably they'll be away home after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Tweets

Conversation

Kilkenny GAA

@KilkennyCLG

Kilkenny Senior Hurling Management Team 2023 which will be ratified at the next County Board meeting : Michael Rice, Peter Barry, Peter O’Donovan and Conor Phelan. S & C : Mickey Comerford and John Murphy. Kilkenny GAA wishes them and manager Derek Lyng all the best.

6:26 PM · Aug 16, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

• Advertisement

Michael Rice is a teacher. Peter Barry accountant? Derek Lyng?

Advertisement