Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Noticed that too. He wouldn't say hello to you, by god.

Really doesn't like Cody. But, sure, that's dressing rooms. Everybody will not and can not get along. Don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm pretty sure Dermot Healy, Eamon Cregan and Michael Bond were all managers that won All Irelands with counties outside of their own before Cody was appointed. Dermot Healy as far back as 1981.

They were all with the same county though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I should have qualified it by saying it wasnt completely unheard of because you have to qualify everything now for the pedants.

It wasn't the norm and still isn't but lots of talk that Cork came close and what if Cody's great players fail to become great managers (none are proven yet).

It's just pure hubris to say Kilkenny may not go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The beauty of this GAA calendar is that the championships in Kilkenny will be completed before Lyng has to name a panel for the new season. I'm presuming he's going to take the opportunity to get to see as many adult games as possible and get the best 40-50 players in for early season training/challenge games. It'll be interesting to see how many of the players that opted off the panel in Cody's time return.

The bad news for the Boro lads is he was spotted out in Clara last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bennettsbridge beat OLG by 0-21 to 1-12. The latter were on top for the first 20 minutes scoring a goal by I think Eoin O'Shea but also hitting numerous wides. Overall OLG hit 14 wides to BB's 7 wides. By half time the Bridge led by 0-13 to 1-6 and were unlucky not to get a goal. Nicky Cleere was immaculate in his freetaking scoring 11 plus a 65 in the match. OLG scored 5 from frees but hit 3 poor wides from frees. Overall, the Bridge seemed to win their frees easier than OLG. The Bridge were on top when Liam Blanchfield got what I thought was a harsh red card with 13 minutes to go. OLG seemed to panic however and the Bridge nearly seemed to have the extra man as they made great use of the ball.

Robbie Buckley was dangerous for OLG, Huw Lawlor was good but not as good as last week. Paddy Deegan scored 3 from play but also made mistakes. For the Bridge, Enda Morrissey played well as did David Blanchfield. Liam Blanchfield was central to Bennettsbridge did and he will be an enormous loss in their next match.

OLG will look at the free count, their wides and the amount of ball that they spilled, partly due to a hungrier Bridge side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

The red card for Blanchfield was well deserved. Can have no complaints. He was lucky not to see red last week too.

Jaysus I didn't know I was being a pedant, apologies if I caused any offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Blanchfield got a red card for very little didn’t seem to affect Molloy after the red card was given

And Gorta and McGarry were watching the O'Loughlins surprise loss to the Bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭The Birchfield Boy

Tragic, tragic news coming from Thurles tonight. 🙏 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Shocking stuff if true. Fingers crossed for him and family that's its not

Edit: looks like it's true. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Comerman

Puts a lot of things into perspective. RIP young man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭kksaints

Terrible news. May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

The best of luck to our camogie team mentors for sunday good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I'm aware of that but they were standing together at the back of the stand. Can't have been any more impressed with the O'Loughlins players than Lyng would have been with the Boro boys last week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭brookville

I wouldn't be getting too carried away yet with results. Olg were impressive last week especially In the 1st half against gbc but will be very dissapointed tonight. Dunnamaggin were shocking last week and beat conahy who had a good win over muckalee. Lisdowney were good against Vegas and lost to a comer side who were dreadful last week in the 2nd half. I do agree the bridge are the form team now but last year was the same they won the league and completely blew up against the shamrocks and set up bizarrely that day but I'm sure willie maher has learnt alot and the age profile is good with alot of players after getting county experience over the last few years.They look to have done alot of s&c and are very comfortable with the running game. Liam is hurling well and maybe the break from the county could do him good.

Gortha and mcgarry are best friends so it wouldn't be unusual to see them together. It's very important we make the right move now and Lyng is backed with resources required. The u20 Job will be an attractive job for someone.Alot of hard work gone into that group and a good team for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I couldn't see Eddie Brennan working with Waterford. For me it's not a natural fit at all. Eddie is a naturally Conservative type of guy. Waterford are way more bohemian and I could only see the 'guard' coming out in Eddie. And that won't work with Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Waterford are more bohemian?? What does that mean exactly, we've had our share of head the balls over the years ill admit but are you saying that if you follow the ''bohemian'' lifestyle that make you a madman.. Or is it that cos KK is a more rural county than Waterford they are naturally more conservative in hurling outlook? I didnt mean to post anything tonight given the tragedy in Tipp but that is a curious, bizarre comment to say the least..wft!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Big weekend for Kilkenny camogie as they come up against the 'old enemy' , Cork.

Best of luck to Brian Dowling, Amy Clifford and all their players !!

Hon the Cats !!!!!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

Bohemian.. at guess it means more flamboyant off the cuff hurlers, I don't think it was meant to be an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The early rounds of the league are a bit all over the place. Glenmore and OLG after big wins are after taking heavy defeats this weekend. Lisdowney had a big win and Comer a bad loss and Comer took care of Lisdowney fairly handily. It'll be interesting to see how the other games go this evening. The Bridge are consistent and thats it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

A big win for the Boro after last weeks collapse in the second half.

FT 4-23 to 1-11

HT 2-12 to 1-08

The Boro were just far too strong for Glenmore all day. It was a good recovery from the previous week. The match was all but over after about 17mins with the Boro up 2-10 to 0-4. Goals thanks to Bill Sheehan and Andy Gaffney, the Boro looked like they had a spare man a lot of the time with the Glenmore players seemingly confused whether to stay or follow their man. The Boro tapped on another few points and then in fairness to Glenmore they battled back and hit 1-4 without reply in the last 8-9 minutes of the half to bring it back to a 7 point deficit at half time. The Boro crowd were wondering were they going to see another second half of trouble and Glenmore came out with a point within 20 seconds of the restart and there were murmurings in the crowd was the come back on? It most definitely wasn't! A point from Liam Moore and another Andy Gaffney goal setup by Aidan Nolan within the first 2 minutes of the restart buried the game. Glenmore would only score 2 points for the rest of the half and the Boro got 10 and a last minute goal from Aidan Nolan which the Glenmore defence really should have done better with. Alan Murphy saw a second yellow after he clothes lined Bill Sheehan who had jinked and was going past him. He was probably lucky it wasn't a straight red.

The Boro's subs made a good impact and Glenmore's never got going. Niall Rowe did very well as a replacement for a hobbling Ollie Walsh at half time. Points from Conor Fitzpatrick, Arran Murphy and Chris Kavanagh from the bench helped to seal the victory. There were far better performances from Aidan Nolan, Cillian Buckley, Tom Kenny, Liam Moore, Cillian Hackett from last week. Andy Gaffney, Bill Sheehan and Eoin Fennelly continued their good performances from last week but with Andy Gaffney going off with what looked like a very sore ankle injury mid-way through the second half. The Boro were also without Timmy Clifford who picked up a knock last weekend too. For Glenmore Ger Aylward and the Murphy's stood out as did Ian Byrne but only in flashes. Glenmore will be unhappy with the manner of the defeat and how easily the Boro took them apart at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Bit of a reality check for Glenmore today. Senior hurling in Kilkenny is a very unforgiving place if anyway off. Up against a boro team them with a point to prove after last weeks performance.

Wasnt at Shamrocks match but an impressive win considering what they are missing. Mullinavat must be going very poorly at the minute looking at results.

O loughlins who i thought would be biggest threat to Ballyhale this year were desperately poor last night against Bennettsbridge.

Nothing is predictable in Kilkenny club hurling at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I totally agree no use in naming the county champions after the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭brookville

The boro will be happy to get the win after the poor 2nd half last week.Half time came at the wrong time fir Glenmore. They never looked like winning but were starting to eat into the lead. In the 2nd half alyward couldn't get away from Buckley and rightly had a goal disallowed for steps but this would would brought it back to 6 at the time I think. Glenmore were very wild at times. Murphy wasn't great at 6 and got 2 yellows.

Buckley covered an enormous amount of ground. Bill sheehan and Hackett were also lively

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kentu

Was anyone on here at shamrocks v Mullinavat game?? Didn't get to it myself due to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

It was like a training session for the Shamrocks. I haven't seen Lisdowney or Comer. Of the 10 teams that I have seen, Vat were the poorest followed by Ballycallan. Ballyhale still the team to beat with Eoin Cody, Richie Reid, Adrian Mullen decent enough

Advertisement