Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@peter kern 🙂

”my main issue is not with portugal but with the eu as they have set no proper time frame when thos cards have to be issuesd .”

Incorrect.

The timeframe agreed between the UK and the EU, for EU27 to implement WA provisions as those related to resident Brits, was the transition period 01 February to 31 December 2020.

Most EU states got started in Spring 2020 shortly after the WA was agreed, rolled out enlistment programs by Summer or early Autumn 2020 with that 31 December deadline, and IIRC very many ended up extending the enrolment into 2021 due to the pandemic.

“For travelling it is actually an eu issue that can affects eu citizen in the same way that is does affect those uk people.”

There is no issue with travelling intra-EU for Brits with rights acquired under the WA. No Schengen passport stamp for them.

However there are plenty of issues for Brits with rights acquired under the WA, with moving to live and/or work in an EU state, other than the EU state which granted those WA rights in the first place.

That is because those rights acquired under the WA are country-bound (3rd country national immigration law, as modified to grant these WA rights to resident Brits turned 3rd country nationals, is national only, it is not a pooled competence/an EU prerogative).

Brits with rights acquired under the WA are not EU citizens, and have lost their FoM just the same as all the other Brits.

They can continue to live in the EU country in which they were resident up to 31 December 2020, like another EU citizen.

They can’t move to and/or work in another EU country, they’d have to apply for a working visa. Like my Mrs had to, even though fully-WA rights-carded in Lux, for commuting to teach a few hours a week in Belgium next door (20 miles as the crow flies).

”As far as i am concerned ,in the guardian article , the uk people mentioned , asked for nothing that was not granted to them by the withdrawal rights , it has nothing to do with british exceptionalism or entitlement issues, so i dont see the reason to include that into this issue. we have discussed this issue 1000 times and agreed on that almost as often as we agreed 1000 times FPTP is not good,

it also has nothing to do with brexit means brexit .... that a lot of people have used in this context . 

its about withdrawal agreement rights are withdrawal agreement rights regardless if it is an uk or an eu issue .”

And they got those rights granted to them.

However for these few mentioned in that article (to the extent that their grievances are genuine), and many other Brits in other EU member states, and 200,000 EU27 in the UK, the issue arises from imperfect implementation.

And in that respect, yes, it has everything to do with ‘Brexit means Brexit’:

first, through the decision to Brexit at all;

second, through the choice of Brexit pursued by the UK (hard, without SM membership & therefore necessarily without FoM);

third, through the pacing followed by the UK (everything at the last second, every time, with little to no practical engagement with the EU ahead).

Rights are ‘withdrawal agreement’ rights indeed, but their implementation varies according to the immigration law of each EU27 member state, likewise that of the UK. A most telling example is actually Ireland, with the CTA, wildly at odds with e.g. France or Spain…or Portugal indeed. And there is no ‘pre-settled’ status practiced anywhere in the EU27 that I’m aware of, unlike in the UK, still, for those 200,000 EU27 I mentioned.

Post edited by ambro25 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭yagan

Just catching up on this thread again after a few days away and a few things come to mind. On the conservative vote it is definitely a thing that as people age and are more secure in their estate they vote to protect it, not dissimilar to here where many people decry the housing situation but remain content with the status quo as long as their property value increases.

I wish I could find it now but I think I read before that on the day of the Brexit vote there were as many voters over the age of 55 as there were under.

On the weaponising of past wars it's definitely been a thing in britain in recent decades, whereas before when there were enough actual veterans to remind everyone that "war is hell" such occasions as armistice remained reflective, whereas now they've been commandeered by people with second or third hand memory of war.

On Ambro's post above it is interesting how the british mindset believes that rules that apply to all non EU/EEA/Schengen citizens are being imposed on them as they can never internalise that it is they who imposed third party rights on themselves.

Finally, as we've been unsettled for over a decade as ping ponging migrants we finally got a TV again and it is bizarre to see how insular UK television is now. It seems there's always a movie or TV drama on that includes a crackly radio announcement stating "Britain is at war with Germany". It reminds me of an irish teacher in London telling me that the literature curriculum no longer covered non English born writers.

Global Britain was empire, and it was imposed. They simply don't know how to be in this world without domination.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

They are finding out through this cost of living crisis. Gone are the days of pointing a gunboat at the natives to force them to sell their wares to you for a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

“On Ambro's post above it is interesting how the british mindset believes that rules that apply to all non EU/EEA/Schengen citizens are being imposed on them as they can never internalise that it is they who imposed third party rights on themselves.”

Well, on that one…

…wait until the EU’s ETA system starts next year, mirroring the UK’s including Patel’s proposed ‘no UK ETA visa for people with a criminal record’ 😏

(a stat I read in a YorkshireBylines article today: 30+% of British males have at least 1 criminal conviction by the time they reach 53)

edit-here: https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/home-affairs/immigration-plans-increase-cost-of-european-holidays/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Make sure to take in Les Invalides, home to Napoleon's tomb and the Musee de l'Armee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Polish general Stanislaw Sosabowski was shafted after the failure of (Montgomery's) Arnhem operation in 1944. Word was put about that the Poles weren't enthusiastic about fighting the Germans; a ludicrous libel. He ended his days as a factory worker in Acton, West London, and when he died his co-workers were amazed to find out about his war record, since he had never talked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Another unfortunate affect of Brexit

I believe Dublin Zoo mentioned this a while back as well.

It is probably only the tip of the iceberg regarding scientific collaboration. Already there have been reports of grants being cancelled for UK scientist.

There is no doubt that the long term affect will be to drive a wedge between the disparate scientific communities as collaboration diminishes. Sad because Irish scientific community ( and I worked in it) benefited a lot from working with colleagues in UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The UK ETA does not really matter much for most Europeans. The UK no longer accepts our European ID cards. That means pretty much everyone I know here in Switzerland needs to apply for a passport before they can visit the UK. To do so they have to complete the application, make an appointment at the passport office to get their picture taken plus the other biometric stuff done and go back to collect and pay for the passport. So take about a day of work and all to visit just one country in Europe. Most just decided to skip it.

And it’s worse if you are a resident of the Schengen Area but not a citizen of the EU/EEA/CH, you no longer enjoy visa free travel to the UK, which means those who would normally have a passport as a matter of course are not encouraging to holiday there either.

It was traditional here for schools to take the final year students on a week or two trip to the UK to improve their English. While there they’d attend intensive English classes etc. This year both schools in my town went to Ireland instead. They teachers and the parents were not willing to make the effort to get 119 passports an 23 visas when the effort to go to Ireland was zero.

They really have screwed their tourist industry as far as European visitors are concerned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK left the EU VAT scheme that allowed non-EU visitors to claim VAT back.

People will travel to Europe to go shopping because Britain no longer offers tax-free purchases to international tourists, the boss of clothing chain Superdry has warned. "The other aspect that people haven't realised is that we as Brits can go to France and if we're buying any high-ticket item, get a tax-free deal on that product.

Less reasons for a stop-over in the UK if you are doing a European tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The Tories are the masters at reframing history, or at least attempt to be. By the end of their time in charge you will probably find that they will have recast Thatcher as being a staunch Brexiter who hated the EU and the single market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When did truth ever worry the current Tory Party.

Even the word Party takes on a new meaning with the lot in 10 Downing St, as does even Downing St.

Interesting that the UK is now threatening

legal action against the EU over the Horizon grants

I hope all the 'i' are dotted and the 't's crossed on EU side.

But I also think, and stop me if I am beginning to sound like Kermit, but I do think the EU need to be far more stringent in its dealings with the UK who are clearly showing bad faith. Up to and including an immediate suspension of the Trade agreement. Otherwise we are going to have this legal back and forth for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Easy for the EU is to battle that case. Inclusion in Horizon etc was part of the WA, which the UK have not implemented on their side. SO by taking this case the UK will be asked why they haven't implemented the NIP, and asked to give a time frame of when it will be implemented. If they can't give that then it would be unlikely that a court would decide that the EU should adhere completely to the agreement whilst the other party refuses to hold up their side.

TBH, this actually suits the EU. But I don't think the Uk actually thinks it can win. This is just to be seen to be doing something, yet again painting the EU as the enemy, as if the UK were not at fault at all. It sells very well in Brexit Britain.

So what if it goes on for years? The negotiation phase for the EU is over and now the UK is dealt with by the dedicated EU departments who look after all third party agreements.

Obviously what happens in UK politics is tangible to us because of Northern Ireland, but otherwise the UK loses when it treats the international agreements it signs as optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The sad part is the fact that the UK universities that benefited from the Horizon programme were actually very efficient at utilising the money to produce results, far more so than many EU institutions, its a sad day when science is sacrificed on the altar of jingoism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

As I understand it - Horizon is part of TCA and the NIP is part of WA

So I doubt what you suggest would work as the legal arguments for each issues are over two different signed agreements.

The EU made it very clear, from the very start, that any TCA was dependent on a WA, of which NI was an essential part. They will easily argue that the TCA doesn't come into effect until the WA is properly implemented so it is in fact the UK that is holding things up.

But as I mentioned, it really doesn't matter. This is just more flag waving by the UK, the government trying to appear strong and taking on the enemy that is the EU.

It buys them time. You watch, next time the Horizon mess is brought up the government spokesperson or minister will point to 'ongoing legal case taken against the EU' as an excuse to avoid actually doing something that might actually be of benefit to the scientific community in the UK. Rather than front up and explain what the plan is for future scientific advancement in the UK, they will simply blame the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

It should be, but it isn't so far. Clearly the UK are not implementing the NIP, which is part of the WA. But the trade agreement is still being adhered to.

I am not too sure if it is so clear cut. As they are two separate legal agreements/international treaties. Is there a clear legal provision that the TCA falls if the WA is not implemented? If there is I would like to see the Commission notify its' intention to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭farmerval

Was this not why the EU wouldn't agree the TCA until the Withdrawal agreement was signed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EU has already threatened sanctions up to and including suspension of the TCA for and breaking of the WA.

I'd look at it as the EU treating any third party playing fast and loose with any one agreement as failing in all agreements. It's sophism to argue otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Remember the great deal Truss did with Japan, how it was going to unlock UK export etc.?

Total trade in goods and services (exports plus imports) between the UK and Japan was £22.9 billion in the four quarters to the end of Q1 2022, a decrease of 4.5% or £1.1 billion from the four quarters to the end of Q1 2021.

Total UK exports £11.2 billion a decrease of 6.0% or £715 million

UK exports in goods (percentage of total UK exports that were goods) £5.9 billion (52.2%) a decrease of 3.8% or £234 million

UK exports in services (percentage of total UK exports that were services) £5.4 billion (47.8%) a decrease of 8.2% or £481 million

Woho, another great job by Truss!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

The EU team opted to go for sequencing during the exit negotiations, following advice, including some from Irish officials, i.e. WA had to be finalized before details of any Trade agreement would be discussed in detail - probably down to a lack of trust, especially on agreeing, and implementing, details on Northern Ireland. This was complained about loudly by Frost and others at the time and later....part of his "best deal ever"/they "forced us to sign" policy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It ALWAYS suits the EU despite the obvious?

The UK is ripping up an agreement and we have had zero action from Europe.

Most Brits believe the UK is absolutely right because they have no idea what the problem is from our perspective.

Why? Because they have gone unchallenged by the EU

It's that simple folks. We have seen no meaningful action to protect a member state that has been under attack from the British govt for 4 years now.

No consequences.

Our country is being treated by Britain the way it has always been treated pre 70's - with complete contempt and disdain.

And so it seems it always will be.

It's sad what's coming because the EU refuses to take the trade action against Britain it should have taken long before now.

What have the EU lost? Nothing.

Continued free access to the UK market. For which they have given nothing in return.

But they have the power to stop UK exports at pretty much anytime they like.

Far from UK taking back control, the EU now has control without having to worry about the UK scuppered its plans in the future.

What could have been a major event and possibly fatal blow to the entire EU project has instead worked out relatively well for the EU.

The UK, on the other hand, is a dumpster fire. They have nothing but negatives to show for the last six years, with still no even a hint of a positive in the future.

It is not the EU job to educate the UK public, and any attempt to do so would only inflame the situation.

There is a growing realisation in the UK that Brexit is bad. The leas Brexiteer, the only one who could get it done, has shown that even with an 80 seat majority, with the will of the public behind him, that even Johnson couldn't make Brexit look good.

No need for the EU to do anything. The longer it goes on the worse it gets for the UK. And both sides know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean they have spent 4 years or so talking about attacking us and talking about ripping up agreements but they have been pretty reticent to actually do anything. One has to wonder when Brexit will fibally mean Brexit. Guessing Labour would do a deal quick and just move on but it seems like Brexiters will never move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's like the anti-magic time bomb in that Piers Anthony novel, counting down from 500 years, a day at at time.

Advertisement