Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl renting room in house refusing to move out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

To be fair, the OP has not said they are claiming Rent-a-Room, but did not state they were not, only that they had done so before when it applied (clearly not in last 6 yrs) and would consider position on this when making next tax return. There is nothing to consider, a claim for such relief in the circumstances set out would be tax fraud. Its probably quite widespread as these licencee agreements are not registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

You could well be correct about a licence, but you are definitely incorrect in your method. Ror & PPR nomination/relief are tax legislation.

RTA is seperate legislation, so you could certainly argue for tax legislation to be relevant for a dispute, but it wouldn't be in anyway guaranteed to be accepted (or likely to be accepted).

The crux of the issue to me is:

When did the persons move in? Was it while the OP was not residing there? If so, this strongly suggests that person has a tenancy.

If yes to the first question, has any person moved in while that person has an alleged "tenancy"

Etc...

I don't think you or anyone else can answer conclusively based on the updated information, and I wouldn't like to rely on the OP's information either, it is changing a bit to suit what he thinks is the correct thing to say for a licence to exist (sorry OP but that is how it appears)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

So if I owned a house that I lived a d took in a person while I was on holidays or was away with work for 3-4 weeks they be a tenant not a liciencee

You are incorrect

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 14,073 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jesus wept, the guy LIVED abroad for “several years”, when he returned here to live at least some of the tenants were in situ. A quick look at his posting history shows this isn’t the first problem with tenants going back the years.

• Advertisement

Yes and that's fair don't you think?

The law cannot be expected to distinguish between holiday periods and living abroad.

That's sarcasm BTW..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

Whether these folks are tenants or licensees is going to be a judgement call by the RTB based on all of the facts they have access to from the testimony and evidence of both sides. No one here can say for sure what the outcome would be, nor can anyone answering the phone at the RTB. In this case, though, based on what the OP has provided, it does seem there might be more weight on the tenancy side than the licensee side. It appears that most of the occupants have enjoyed exclusive access to the property for a significant and largely uninterrupted length of time; the landlord has not actually maintained a physical presence in the property for years at a time and doesn't seem to have ever actually moved occupants around between rooms, or regularly entered the property to clean and tidy the common areas, or otherwise acted as if this were a licensee arrangement in fact. Merely saying "this is a license agreement" or "I reserve the right to come over and sleep on a mattress in the sitting room one of these days, maybe..." doesn't make it a license agreement; otherwise every landlord in the country would be doing exactly that.

The rental agreement also does not explicitly specify that it is a license arrangement or use any verbiage that would indicate such, and in fact refers to occupants as "tenants" at least once and sets out the obligation of the occupants to facilitate access to the property for repair and maintenance work when required, which generally would not be necessary to include in a true license arrangement (as the landlord would already have access to the property themselves for such purposes).

Now, on the OP's side of the scale is the fact that they were "occasionally" in occupation of the property for a period of time earlier this year. Whether that occasional and seemingly brief occupation would be sufficient to make the tenancy of this one occupant who moved in last March or the other occupants who have been in the property longer licensees is an open question, however, when weighed against the other facts. A tenant allowing their landlord to enter the property or store belongings there or even allowing them to stay over as their guest for a short time does not turn a tenancy into a license arrangement, even if the tenant did so because they were unaware of their rights and their landlord convinced them that they couldn't say no.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that there's a chance the RTB might deem this a license arrangement, and a chance they might deem this a tenancy. The OP can choose to act as if this is in fact a license arrangement and treat their occupant accordingly. If they go this route, there is a risk that the occupant might file a complaint with the RTB and that the RTB might deem them a tenant instead and require that the OP reinstate their tenancy with immediate effect, possibly resulting in the tenant in question gaining Part 4 rights due to the length of time that whole process will take. If that happens, it will be far more difficult to remove the occupant in question, as a valid reason under Part 4 would be required to terminate their tenancy.

Alternatively, the OP can choose to act as if their occupant is in fact a tenant and proceed with issuing a proper valid notice to terminate their tenancy. This would allow the occupant to legally remain for a longer period of time, but assuming the OP does everything exactly by the book, it would likely prevent the occupant from gaining Part 4 rights as long as the original valid notice was issued before they were in the property for six months. The risk with this approach is that it will likely confirm the status of the other occupants as tenants, and they most likely have Part 4 tenancies by this point, meaning the OP will be stuck with them until they decide to leave on their own initiative or the OP decides to sell the place or move back in themselves.

Really the OP should seek professional legal advice; their solicitor will be able to look at all of the details and research precedent and advise them on the best course of action.

There is no need it's a liciencee the RTB will not touch it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Being an accountant doesn't make you any more knowledgeable about residential tenancies than anyone else. The RTb define a landlord as the person who receives the rent. The RTB is not allowed decide who owns a property therefore cant decide if a person owns more than 1 property. PPR is a revenue concept only and has nothing to do with tenancies. Section 110 of the Act

110. —The title to any lands or property shall not be drawn into question in any proceedings before a mediator, an adjudicator or the Tribunal under this Part.

The owner can't assert is is a PPR at the RTB.

It is a question of fact as to whether the landlord also resides in the dwelling. In Zhang there was a spare bedroom which the landlord slept in 3 times. It wasn't enough to stop a tenancy.

The student case is an example of where an adjudicator found a tenancy and the tribunal found a licence. The Tribunal set out the criteria by which it decides between a lease and a licence. In this situation the first question is if the o/p resides in the dwelling. If yes, that is the end of it. If not and he asserts a lease he has to prove it.

Like many accountants and their clients you seem to think you are an expert on everything.

Not so.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Thanks BBZ, in no way did I claim to be an expert at anything, but I did “claim” that the examples you quoted in which you googled the answer you wanted, without looking at the circumstances behind were complete bull (which they were) as they no way matched the scenario you’re trying to prove is incorrect.

Your cognitive bias behind the scenario in question has completely clouded your judgment and has led to replies which in your words were “drivel”.

Legally the Op’s licensees are in fact licensees. Picking and choosing articles and quotes from legislation are irrelevant without the preamble. Soz bbz if you handed up your arguments as an academic essay would have ended up with you having a solid “F”.

Also sorry you have “beef” against accountants, this is another example of the cognitive bias that you have. I suppose you would rather believe Joe Rogan and the Daily Mail rather than an argument based in fact?

• Advertisement

There was no spare bedroom in the Zhang case. It's was a two bedroom apartment. He had either to sleep on the couch or sleep in a sleeping bag in one of the rooms. I doubt if he slept with Zhang.

This is typical of LL v tenant thread's. LL has to be in the wrong. If not any other issues are used to bully or threaten the LL such as RAR. Or that the RTB first reaction will be a high court case costing the OP 50k and maybe his house. It's bully boy tactics on these threads.

No cognizant is taken to property rights. The tenant's rights are sacrosanct compared to the LL. The major flaw in this is where tenant rights clash with home owners right's.

Many here assume that a home owner relinquish there rights if they are not present. However the constitution protects certain property rights. Zhang V is not a definitive ruling on this.

The assumption is that the RTB will always challenge these cases. That is a flawed assumption. The RTB will be aware of constitutional rights and will not stray into that area no matter what many here may assume.

It's a grey area but it's very clear. If the OP had a partner then and was living in that house then yes the RTB might follow this case.

However it's OP's home he might not live there all the time but it's still his home.

The RTB will NEVER challenge that.

You might think they will but you are barking up the wrong tree.

Like I said quote me a case where a PPR was involved.

I have two rental properties. The RTB can assume all the control they like of them properties. However in the case of a PPR they are barking up the wrong tree.

She is a licencee until proven otherwise.

It's no wonder that there is 50-80k vacant properties in this country

Slava Ukrainii

I've reviewed some of your posts, in my estimation, you don't have any actual experience in CGT, some of the statements made by you are materially incorrect. You cannot live abroad for up to 4 years and still claim full PPR relief, there are conditions such as required by an employer to live abroad for work reasons....not the same as living abroad for other reasons.

You should also realise that Revenue do not consider any property to be a PPR, they ask you to nominate a property as your PPR if you own more than 1 property, but this does not impact the assessment to PPR relief, you can still claim partial relief on a property that is no longer your PPR or be precluded from claiming full relief on a property you have always lived in due to commercial activities conducted there. However, nominating a PPR is a method of control, if you claim full PPR relief on a 1st/2nd/etc property not nominated as your PPR = enquiry.

None of the above effects ROR or licence /tenancy status for occupants. You can claim ROR on an non PPR, but you have to live there, a key test being would someone be expected to find you there by post, etc. There are a few examples available on taxfind/ revenue etc on this.

Based on the information on the tread the OP has not met either relief as of yet.

The OP's tenants/ lodgers are not licensees by default, such a position does not exist in common law or legislation.

What does exist is an exclusion from the act of a property where the landlord also resides. Resides is not defined, but in most cases, where challenged, the challenge has failed,a tenant would need reasonable belief to claim the landlord did not live there to mention it in a case, otherwise why bring it up?

The exclusion based on control of property (the text quoted earlier) is very subjective. It has only been utilised for student accommodation to date, so no basis to apply this treatment to all cases. I remember there were a few cases based on houses rented out by the room and the landlord maintained access to the common areas - a room can be subject to a tenancy as well.

In the successful student accommodation cases, the provider showed evidence of moving residents from one room to another, the OP has not mentioned this as far as I am aware. By my estimation, this is different to asking a resident to change room, there must be an ability to move the resident by unilateral decision.

So based on the above, the OP needs to provide more information and you need to provide a far stronger argument (similar cases) from you to show that the OP has licencees rather than tenants.

I never mentioned anything about CGT.

And we are back to student accommodation and corporate owners.

You are barking up the wrong tree again

PPR, only house owned and he has no other permanent abode, it's his home find me case law.

She is a licencee

The RTB will not touch.

And the other tenants do not want her there either

Give it up

You would be as well off barking at the moon woof woof

Slava Ukrainii

PPR is CGT. It is a CGT relief.

The RTB will make a determination if a case is brought. What they will actually determine is that PPR is not relevant to the RTA, and then determine if the OP resides there / resided there when the person moved in.

Thank you for the sh*ty sound effect words, I was struggling to identify which animal you are until I could visualise the sound, I had originally thought Hee Haw Bark Bark was a donkey 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭amacca

Agree...and 1000% with the sentiment at the end...........

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

A few people pretend to be living in houses where they are letting rooms while they are actually still living in the parents' home or with a partner. It works out for them because they are dealing with people who will back up what they say if the arrangement is questioned. The OP could be on dodgy ground here because of working abroad and now being in dispute with this person who is refusing to leave. It could be difficult for the op to stay beneath the radar, which is what someone in that situation needs to do. Tread carefully would be the best advice. Try not to annoy anybody.

Sentiment, yes, but what he is posting is b*****x. He cannot know with that degree of certainty that either what he says is correct, or that the RTB will share his viewpoint.

I think worse could be said of the anti landlord outrage jockeys that jumped on the OP and suggested actions that would actually legitimise the overholding girl acting in bad faith and worsen the situation....didn't see you taking them to task

When asked simple questions they had no answers at all apart from resentment afaics

I'm not sure the post is bolox btw......but maybe that's just because I think its the way it should be.

Don’t think I’ve ever been accused of being anti landlord before. The girl is only overholding if she received valid notice.

Here is a simple question for you, when the op was residing abroad for “several years”, and had 4 separate tenants in 4 separate bedrooms in his 4 bedroom house, were they tenants, or licensees?

It's his home they are liciencee's until proven otherwise. These type of tenancies benefit both the liciencee and the home owner.

The liciencee's are getting a discounted rent and I imagine a fairly steep discount.

People wanted professional LL's they got them. Rooms in Dublin with these professional LL are costing 800+/ month even up to 1.5-2k for one bedroom apartments.

As he is now resident in Ireland and caring for an older relative it's definitely a liciencee/ home owner situation.

An accountant has explained earlier the law regarding PPR and working abroad.

I will repeat this again the RTB will not challenge this. It's a case they cannot win. He has kept a room for his use.

He lives there intermittently

Find me case law with RTB rulings in the case of a PPR. You cannot as the they do not exist. The constitution protects his rights.

Just because you live intermittently in you own home dose not mean it is not your home.

The new proposed vacancy tax will not apply to these houses where the owner is living with relatives or in nursing homes. Because it cannot it's constitutionally barred.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Hi OP,

Get onto your relatives public health nurse and request urgent respite for them. You could have a respite place organised for later next week if you move quickly.

Then head up to your house and move into your room in it for those 2 weeks. You’ll be there for the 23rd then. It’s complete **** being a carer and losing the status of your home being your PPR because you can’t be there on medical grounds is a further kick in the teeth.

Get the ball rolling today! Best of luck.

I wasn't accusing you of being anti landlord although in fairness it could be construed that way....just not entirely convinced the post you called bolox is in fact bolox

As for 4 bedrooms in a 4 bedroom house while being away for years, if that's the case it's not just pushing the envelope it's Bursting through it but the RTB may not want yo get involved of its a PPR etc

Anyway if it truly is the OPs PPR and they have no other properties they would still have my sympathy given the way things have gone....The girl made an agreement, she broke it (leaving aside the domestic stuff) that in my eyes is worse.....

Given the one sided and in my eyes counter productive (in terms of contributing to a rental crisis for decent people that stick to agreements) rules/regulations landlords have to put up with I wouldn't rent my PPR at all if I had to go abroad for work......I'd probably be out several years of emergency accommodation and refurbishment fees when I came back to find a delinquent tenant happily sitting in protected by the State...

But you know I believe your word is your bond, wouldn't dream of breaking an agreement or screwing anyone over if I could help it etc......as for breaking your word and then not paying well that's just rubbing a person's nose in it afaic

Again, waffle.

Why are you so certain of this? It is obvious to almost everyone but you and another poster that the tenancies existed prior to the op moving back in 2020, he actually stated that there were 4 separate rentals in his 4 bedroom house. You got rinsed by someone who is knowledgable about accounting and undermined your PPR argument, but still you are adamant that just because this guy threw a mattress on a floor when he came back to Ireland in January, the tenants became licensees.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

It depends on how far the RTB or Revenue would go in challenging the person's claim that they were living in that house. I would not like to put it to the test. It could result in unforeseen repercussions. An amicable resolution is called for in my opinion. Good will needs to prevail here.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

This is obviously a substantial house. I say it's defined as 4 bedrooms as there is four bedrooms upstairs. I have seen many houses where living rooms downstairs are used as bedrooms both rented and owner occupied.

OP has stated that he has access to such a room in the house and stays there occasionally. The number of bedrooms is immaterial there is tenancies all over the country where tenants use living rooms have beds on them and are let out to tenants.

There is no definitive description of a bedroom other than its a place to sleep in. I have seen houses turned into duplexes for rental purposes where a room upstairs is converted into a kitchen dining room and maybe living room combined with the opposite downstairs where living areas are converted to bedrooms.

Why are you so certain that the RTB will take such a case when there is no PPR cases similar or with even stronger ownership rights overruled by the RTB. There is none because there can be none.

Another idiosyncrasy in the RTB is it will enforce a tenant right to move back in but it will not enforce an owner's right to repossession/ move back in if a tenant overholds. The LL/ owner must then go to court at there own cost to enforce there rights.

As well in the case where tenants stop paying the LL cannot even get a repossession ruling for a minimum of nearly 3 months and then has to use the court system to enforce that at there own cost

The RTB as a regulator chooses to regulate for one side only. Because of this any home owner would be crazy to willingly conceed that they had anything but liciencee's in there home

Slava Ukrainii

I am not certain, I’m struggling to see why you are, given the ambiguity of the op’s situation. So far you have been rinsed on the PPR argument, and your argument about sharing with the LL by no means meets the threshold where it could be beyond dispute. Why you keep saying “the RTB will not touch this” when it is obvious to everyone bar you and your sidekick that it at least deserves their consideration, is strange. The RTB do not always see disputes as black or white, they will at least consider whether it was reasonable for the tenants to believe that they were entering a tenancy where the LL did not normally reside/share with them.

But the opinions here by many was the home owner should concede his right that this is a liciencee. Not only that the scare tactics were put out straight away. The tax man, court case costing thousands, etc. The Zhang case was quoted which was doubly out to of context. Not just for the previous reasons outlined but also Zhang was the longer term tenant in the two bed apartment which indicated that the new tenant was know or related to the owner.

In the present scenario the other liciencee's are in the house longer than the new liciencee and want her out of there. They are likely to support the owner in any case.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

So today is the day, did she leave?

Advertisement