Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Dublin people from working class areas so confident?

• 05-08-2022 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

I have yet to meet people from these areas who aren't confident and outgoing. shy isn't a word I would ever use to describe them. Nothing against them by the way, I admire them and find most of them good craic and good company.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

fake it till you make it.

Damn upstarts. Some of these people didn’t even drop their heads and tug the forelock as I was driven through them. Where are the RIC and the DMP when you need them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's to lull you into a false sense of security so that they can more easily rob your wallet and/or stab you to bits.

Allegedly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Speaking as I do for my higher post code brethren, we don't see/acknowledge class. . . .

Either way, what has that got to do with a person's confidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

That would an anthropological matter.

Apparently Southern culture in the US is in large part derived from British/Irish working-class culture. Look at the verbal style of Conor McGregor compared to characters on The Wire - witty, aggressive, verbose.

• Advertisement

The same sort of thread like the "integrating unionists" thread and "deal breaker" thread.

Another dumpster fire 🔥 thread here on boards.

I've a dozen first connections on LinkedIn who are "working class" Dublin, and one sorted me out in early 2015 when I would have been screwed

I'll tag along for the shitshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

What's a working class area?

People in all areas work, therefore all areas are working class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

No one said anything about them being bad, apart from someone making a joke maybe. don't be so sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why would you think they should not be confident? They live in a very successful country economically, have education opportunities, job opportunities etc. I know there will be a queue of people happy to claim otherwise but they are not the confident ones in any case!

I lived in Dublin with my Swiss wife for nearly three years before we moved to Switzerland over thirty years ago and from our point of view the whole country has become more confident in their own abilities, they very have a can do attitude and a seriousness that was not there before. I would say it is very much a function of economic success - everyone is better dressed, have a stake in consumerism and feel they have a future.

That is not to say that everything is wonderful in Ireland, far from it, but in relation to my starting point in 1980s, it’s dramatically different and that is reflected in peoples attitude.

For me at this stage I’d say people are not overly confident, I’d say they are typical Europeans. I was in Dublin for a few days a while ago with an English business colleague who also knew Dublin in the 80s and the 90s and he was shocked by how it had changed, at one point commenting - it no longer feels British, just a European country, where they happen to speak English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, have always found the louder, or more aggressive, types from the inner city, or the more “rougher” areas of Dublin to be incredibly dramatic.

If they are stood up to, or “confronted”, or getting spoken to by the Gardaí, they start screeching and flailing about and putting on a show.

Very strange thing to witness.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

its not that I dont think they should be confident, compared to other Dublin people, I never met a shy Dubliner from a working class area. I assumed its because they grew up in a dog eat dog area and had to be able to stand up for themselves and a place where if you are shy you will be walked over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I think all Dubs are very upfront, open and straight talking and the people of the commuter towns of the neighbouring counties likewise. Is that what you mean by confident? Why wouldn't working class people from the area have the same attributes? They are very positive character traits to have and coming as I do from a part of the country where the norm is to speak out of both sides of the mouth at once, only say what you think the listener wants to hear and cut you to pieces behind your back, its a breath of fresh air. I much prefer forthrightness, even if I don't like what I'm hearing. If you want to experience blunt honesty, OP, go to Yorkshire. All of the truth but none of the charm and playfulness of their Irish counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's one of those 'brit isms' that's found it's way into our dialogue over the years.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Quitelife

No problem with people from working class areas been confident- it’s the welfare class areas where people who refuse to work are last going at the working and law abiding people .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Don't be pretending you don't know what it means

"the social group consisting primarily of people who are employed in unskilled or semi-skilled manual or industrial work."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Simple, nothing to lose.

And I don't mean they actually have nothing, they just know nobody is going to take it off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

It is the same with Belfast people, they have a mono personality. They are all the same, loud mouth insufferable people. In the countryside they are nicknamed "McCooeys" and they have a bad reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When it comes to a lot of lads that I am thinking off they are chancers and wisecrackers (but not in a bad way).

I meet a lot of lads like that out walking my dog, no complaints all sound and friendly especially if you live in the vicinity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

That would an anthropological matter.

Apparently Southern culture in the US is in large part derived from British/Irish working-class culture. Look at the verbal style of Conor McGregor compared to characters on The Wire - witty, aggressive, verbose.

The Wire, set in Baltimore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I can tell the difference in accents and attitudes from working class people from the likes of Limerick or Cork they're more , well more easily identified

If I hear a Dublin accent I wouldn't know a Dalkey accent from an inner city accent they all sound the same. I couldn't figure out at all at all where they're in Dublin

Like for example a Tougher accent and a Knocknaheeny accent in Cork are totally distinguishable. So is a South Hill accent and a Moyross accent in Limerick. You can tell what part of the city they're from.

Even a Clancy park accent in Ennis, or a Cloughleigh accent are easy to tell apart.

But Dubs all sound the same.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i think i can understand where the person is coming from i think most urban working class act with certain bravado even urban small town working class. its the lack of conservatism perhaps as much as over confidence. more middle class people tend not to shout over or interupt people and i think like to weigh up people for a while before the let others know too much about them. conservative rural people are more likely to scope people out a lot more and find out who they are in company with and from what background before committing themselves. this probably is seen as shyness but really cute hoorism. middle class urban people are conservative and act the same way to make sure they are not rubbing up with working class or underclass people.

very strange sociological thing that i always find bears true. a rural middle class person even from a farming background will always find themselves being more comfortable in the company of someone from D4 or SOCODU, than a working class person from thier own rural town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

race meetings will prove this

I think the word you are looking for is "snob". BTW, I'm from a working class background and I was always taught it was rude to interrupt or shout on conversation. Just because someone is working class doesn't mean they are ignorant, rude and uneducated and the opposite holds true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Theres a proportionality in Ireland between the amount someone speaks and their accent. The worse the accent the noisier they are. Cork Limerick and rough Dublin prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Southern blacks migrated to Baltimore in huge numbers in the 20th century. I should have made that clear.

You can hear the Southern drawl in the way the black characters on The Wire speak.

In the 1950s and before a lot of these black Southern migrants would have had unskilled jobs in the steel industry.

"The Great Migration, the exodus of more than 6 million African Americans from the rural South to cities in the North—or in Baltimore’s case, almost North—Midwest, and West between 1910 and 1970, was one of the largest internal movements of people in U.S. history."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Capital city syndrome, delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Seven posts in and he was already calling it a "dumpster fire" lol.

I never put two and two together. The accent makes so much sense now. I done lurned a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I used to think the same until lived there. There are a few Dubloiin accents. As for confidence some are approaching Cork levels.

No not aggressive, just very assured of themselves, and outgoing, maybe a little loud but in a harmless way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭saabsaab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A casual observation that I can't back up, but I've noticed that people who grow up in densely populated areas tend to be more outgoing and confident. Maybe it's because you need to be to be heard?

Nothing to do with class, and I enjoy the Dublin wit. I'm not a Dub btw.

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Possibly at a tangent to OP's point but as good few people from pretty hardcore Dublin areas like Brendan Grace or Joe Duffy make it big in a way you seldom see with people from under-privileged backgrounds in the rest of the country. This 'innate cockiness' may play a part in this but I guess there are more significant reasons.

A strong Togher or Knocka accent sound the same to me - just Cark accents. And I'm from Cork. I can't understand how someone wouldn't be able to distinguish between a strong e.g. Finglas accent and a Dalkey one. Get out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Joe Duffy claims his accent was a big deterrent and held him back for a long time in RTE in comparison to other broadcasters & presenters with rural or South County Dublin accents or acquired suitable accents. It is interesting and you fairly acknowledge that he's from a hardcore background, he's had a few tragic familial incidents. Like him or not, he's a savvy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Nonsense, Dubs most certainly do not sound the same. You may no be able to distinguish the different accents but they are there.

1. Upper class, sometimes referred to as the D4 accent which I think can sometimes sound like it has a hint of Britishness.
    2. Working class, a moderate Dublin accent
    3. Inner city and some in the working class areas have a thick Dublin accent sometimes referred to as "common"
    4. North County Dublin accent and you could probably throw in other rural parts of Dublin, you can hear a hint of co Meath or neighbouring counties in some of the life long residents accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anyone that can't distinguish a South County Dublin accent from an inner city accent can't call themselves an Irish person. Inner city Dubs have were calling Shane Ross Winston Churchtown years before mainstream media picked up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

People are talking about extremes.

Not everyone is either Ross O Carroll Kelly or Allright Bud, any change?

Most are somewhere in between.

Im a working class Dub and while you'd know I was a Dub, I dont have a strong accent.

Most areas in Dublin have a cross section of areas and accents. There is no such thing as a Finglas accent for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement