Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Dublin people from working class areas so confident?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,274 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's the thing. He's from Kildare. So they want to keep it quiet. Southside sell-outs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

At one stage I had a quintessential working-class Dub as a boss, my two cents on the successful ones.

The tight family structure they all help each other out.

More mixing and less of the keeping to themselves you see with middle-class people.

More street smart

You have to see it to be it, they see lots of examples of people like themselves doing well.

Less baggage about their background secure in themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have to say the working class Dub I had as a boss was also a highly intelligent man and very good at his job which probably does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Why are they confident? Because they have back up, unlike many people from middle class areas.

They have people that will stand up for them, and help out in times of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

What's the relevance of Shane Ross to any of this?

He went to school in England and has an English accent, nothing approaching a Dublin accent of any kind, north or south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Maybe she was maybe she wasn't. I get what you're saying. But this is boards.ie - specifically after hours. Everyone "knows" better than everyone else.

Sure take you. You knew much more than me you had to make TWO posts to say just that. One wasn't good enough.

Sense of irony in your words. Lol. But I'm such you get back with some bs. So have at it. Why not make it 3 posts this time eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not really sure I understand your punchline.

You made way more than 2 posts - I responded to two of your posts.

Are only you allowed to make as many posts as you want - but others are only allowed one response?

The point is - there are people here from different areas telling you its a load on rubblsh, not just one person. But you keep telling them differently. That is a bit of an insult. It is like you knowing a plumber, and then you telling plumbers how to work.

I know this is boards.ie and After Hours, I also know enough from the other posters posts that they are the genuine article.

I also know that working class Dubliners are proud and would not accept being looked down on as pretending to show off. It is a respect thing. Hence the pushback when you are trying to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

It is hard to quantify exactly what the op is referencing. Is it that kind of bluster that mcgregor peddles? There are many dubs that dont like him too.

Is it that kind of spiel that a philly mcmahon seems to believe about himself where he always seems to think he is in the right/justified or that he came out on top?

I would definitely have noticed differences in the various fans of counties that mayo have come up against in big games over the years. The differences are sometimes minute but interesting all the same. Dubs wouldnt be the most confident Id have met.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Big hoopy earrings. If you rub your fingers around them at the right speed they create a resonance that increases confidence by 140% to everybody in a 50 metre radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,696 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Surely you only think they are all confident because the ones that come to your attention are the loud confident ones because there guess what.........loud and confident ,

If you lived in a working class area( i'm guessing you don't) you'd realise most are very quite private & genuine people,

T

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jacfrosty

Ignorance is bliss I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Don't ever put McGregor and the wire in the same sentence again. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭trashcan

No, no no. They’re all exactly the same ! Such a load of generalised rubbish in this thread. Reeking of snobbery too. Not the first time I’ve noticed it on Boards. Seems to be a lot of Little Lord Fauntleroy types posting here. Another thread I noticed today called “Why I hate Working Class People.” Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭NiceFella

Meh, confidence is one of those characteristics that is really hard to put your finger on

For one thing if you can easily see it in a person, its most likely arrogance or someone who over estimates themselves. I met so many in jobs down through the years were some experienced staff would show you the gimmicks of the job. Then after doing something semi cool will turn and give you a smug smile (i.e are'nt I a fricken genius). However I must admit in most situations, its prob better to overestimate than underestimate yourself.

I think the only true confidence is a quiet confidence. The rest is just arrogance or just being deluded. I think its fairly rare imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

But the op describe them as outgoing, confident, good company and good craic. Sounds like the work you do is full of gowls. Maybe a career change is in order unless it's too late.

And Schwiiing, that quote can't be linked to Charles Bukowski. It's just a picture with a mish mash of Bertrand Russell words that people put up on Facebook and think it makes them look clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There's no point to it. Intelligent people don't have much doubts after education, expeirience & research. For instance entrepreneurs, scientists & engineers design, create, build and employ. If they were "full of doubts" nothing would get done.

It's an incorrect misquote with a nice portrait of a cool renowned poet smoking a cigar that someone made in photoshop with a "signature" in a free handwriting font. It makes no sense and it's designed for stupid people who like knocking confidence to put up on social media so they'll get likes and reposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

We don't suffer from the soul crushing insecurities every other strata of Irish society suffers from. It is a better way to be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

The working class cheered on the British army in 1916 and the war of Independence.

Well said good sir. And so they damn well should. Blasted ingrates. A good horsewhipping keeps them in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Im wondering about this.

I heard cocaine use is massive amongst young people on a night out . Recently had a weird interaction with randomer on the street. My conclusion was he was hyped uo on cocaine. Eyes popping, aggressive,overconfident,slightly paranoid.

I feel bad that irisb people are fuelling drug lords and criminals in sputh america and Ireland dont give a **** about what they shove up their nose and what it does to them and others.

What does that mucb drug use do to society..a mass experiment indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

they are not

Advertisement