Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Why not just give it to fennelly now though if hes interested, nothing long term in this if its true. Hope the plan is not just counting down 2 years for Shefflin to be out of contract and seeing if he wants it

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Not as if Fennelly is an inter county novice.

That's an interesting point re. Shefflin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

Obviously I'm only guessing. Fennelly might not want the workload just yet. Shefflin will never get it now as it was there if he was interested. But the money wasn't there for him. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kentu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kentu

Well you've clearly sour grapes about something with him, if it's about him in Galway you need to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Statement from Kilkenny County Board :

Following Thursday night’s meeting of Kilkenny County Board, Derek Lyng has been ratified as the Kilkenny senior hurling manager. A three-year term has been agreed. Selectors and backroom team will be confirmed later.

Niall Bergin has been ratified as U-17 manager for the season ahead, while the process of appointing a U-20 manager will now begin.

Kilkenny County Board wishes Derek and Niall the very best of luck during the season ahead.

The County Board will not be issuing any further statement.

Ends.

Paul Fitzgerald

PRO, Choiste Cill Chainnigh,

UPMC Nowlan Park,

O’Loughlin Road,

Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

Derek lyng gets it completely surprised by that but delighted for him to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

phew, rumours false. Hope he does well. Maybe fennelly might take the u20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Nobody knows **** anything

Best of luck to Lyng. Will be interesting to see if Rice follows him or he sticks around as U20 manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Delighted with that. Best of luck Derek.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Sting in the tail with f.....g Niall Bergin involved with the minors is this his third year involved as manager and selector. I suppose f.....g Mulrooney will stick up his hand for the U20’s job. But as someone suggested above this would be ideal for Mick Fennelly because he would have to hit the ground running.This job is so important at the moment,it would set us up nicely if we could do back to back. Galway,Cork and Tipp all hugh contenders for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Derek Lyng is a hard worker I hope he gets his rewards, Also I think it would be great if Martin Fogarty was given an advisory roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Delighted for Derek was hoping he'd get it. Really well grounded guy.

Post edited by kk.man on

That's a far better result than a Fogarty transition period. A 44 year old man put in charge. Will history repeat itself re. a 44 year old man!

I'm not belittling age. There's a role for the Fogartys, Mickey Moran Derry in football, Mickey Whelan Dublin. But 40s is a good age to drive the thing forward. Codys and O'Dwyers are rare men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Lyng seems the right appointment. He had that somewhat unexpected success against Limerick even though I think Limerick will probably mine more talent from their team. He certainly had a decent gameplan.

I wonder will the county board give him abit if leeway to get a bigger backroom team. S&C needs at least 2 guys. You aren't going to compete with Limerick unless the backroom is well funded. What about a sports psychologist?

As positive an appointment as Lyng is I think short term, as in 2023 Cody would have gotten Kilkenny closer to an All Ireland than Lyng will. There's very few managers in their first year going to be able to put a team together to beat Limerick. I include Cahill in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭brookville

I had heard Brian dowling might be In the mix for the u17. This is supposed to be his last year with camogie.

Best of luck to Derek.The rumour was he turned it down and fogarty was in pole position,it swayed from these two.The rumour was Conor phelan was going to get involved with the u20. I hope theres a bit of freshness added to the senior back room team.Thats why I was hoping mick fennelly or Eddie Brennan would get involved. Tom mullally is a good coach and not a huge money man like others.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭therealdonster

I would strongly disagree- Bar O'Connor and English I didn't see too many obvious stand outs on that Limerick U20 team.

Whereas I could see us getting plenty of good seniors and a couple of very good seniors from our team. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Media shouldn't fish these water's 😁😁😁😁😁😁🦈🦈🦈🦈

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fogarty would have been an odd appointment given how long he's been away from IC scene, those rumours really surprised me, we'll be some strange sight next year not having the black Glanbia hat and the spitting hands on the line.

Congrats and best wishes to Derek Lyng.

And tremendous news having TJ back. Not particularly surprising given his area of (working) expertise - clearly looks after himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not a bad choice given that Kilkenny have a young team that need to be brought through.

Seemed to be very little between all the names mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I hope Kilkenny get a whole raft of talent from that under 20 team. Over the past 10 years Limerick have developed alot more talent in comparison from their underage. Many of them weren't even stand out underage. We shall see how it goes.

Kilkenny have a few very good players on that under 20s team and they have alot of development potential. Besides them the likes of Cian Kenny for the seniors was blown out of it in the senior final this year. I think he was done a disservice by being thrown in on the likes of William O Donoghue. He looked like a child in comparison. Blanchfield who was brought on late in the final is rake thin aswell .im surprised Kilkenny haven't been able to condition fellas like him.

That's it, there were no clear favourites and all rumoured fellas were of the same age and played together.

In years gone by, it'd have been DJ or Shefflin as clear favourites.

I had no personal favourite as long as it wasn't Davy Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Village87

In fairness Limerick were missing 2/3 outstanding players. Big Jump for Lyng, who was under pressure coming into the u20 job this year. only for the rule where senior players cannot play u20 Kilkenny would have got bet in the first round again. Galway were missing 2 outstanding hurlers(Gavin Lee and Tiernan Killeen) Kilkenny went on to beat them in extra time.

Advertisement