Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭randd1

I heard the official attendance was under 10k for the match the other day. Will any of the round robin games break the 10K barrier in Leinster (Wexford and Dublin had less than 10K as well in the first round)?

I have to say, the Leinster council have been, and continue to be, an utter disaster at promoting and developing hurling in the province. Fair enough, Wexford and Dublin given their resources should be doing better, but even those tow counties needs something to push them on.

If Galway ever decide to go to Munster, and I'd imagine Munster would take them too, I could see hurling die in the province.

It really is a disgrace what's been allowed to happen in the province.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Village87

Wexford and Dublin are putting massive efforts in underage but the GAA and RTE are a f***ing disgrace. The next 2 weekends there are 2 unbelievable fixtures on Saturday night, real knock out matches in Munster. Everyone knows the importance for next Saturday for Tipp and Waterford and Saturday week for Cork v Limerick in Cork, these games will provide incredible drama.

Any child with a half interest in sport would be watching this on a Saturday evening at home. What better way to promote the game to the country and for parents of kids we are trying to bring into the game. Instead these games are on GAA GO, no point trying to convert the converted.

Last Saturday they had some rubbish game of rugby on RTE with no GAA on and probably the same the next 2 Saturday evenings . The GAA are a disgrace for selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KK36

I'd love to see a full forward line of the 3 Shamrocks lads with TJ drifting out occasionally to leave Adrian and Eoin inside.

Eoin Murphy

Mikey Butler Huw Lawler Shane Murphy

David Blanchfield Paddy Deegan Mikey Carey

Cian Kenny Jordan Molloy

Martin Keoghan, John Donnelly Tom Phelan

TJ Reid

Adrian Mullen Eoin Cody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Tommy Walsh got a bit of a roasting off Cathal Mannion Sunday but I’m not too sure about Shane Murphy as a corner back, I think he showed he doesn’t have a corner backs instinct for the second Galway goal, he should have anticipated the ball hitting the woodwork or the goalie batting it down but he was caught flat footed.
    To be fair to Tommy Walsh Mannion is a savage hurler at the peak of his powers so he could have done that to anyone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Nedflanders02

Is there any update on Carey's injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 NCNewb

He was wicked during open play too though mistake after mistake. Some of them had serious issue with rising the ball on Sunday unless the pitch was in a bit of a state?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JohnCougar

I have heard Dollard is 50/50 for Sunday v Dublin with Patrick Lacey out for 8-10 weeks unfortunately. There is no need to rush Dollard back for this match and getting worse and out for 4/6 weeks. The losers of both minor games are guaranteed to be in Leinster Quarter Final v Kildare or Offaly the following week. The winners are into Leinster semi final in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I'm surprised no one here has picked up on the Galway point which was actually wide near the start of the game which was highlighted that night on the Sunday game. Kilkenny would have left with 2 points and we'd be topping the table and it would would make the final match against Wexford less important.

It was a far better result than I'd expected given the players we were missing and fair dues to all the lads they really took the fight to Galway. Paddy is still not a CB to me he deserves a place on the team just not CB personally I would like them to pick and stick with Blanch or Carey at this stage but I don't see that happening and I think we'll just have to hope that Paddy holds a bit more consistently. In fairness to Paddy most of his deliveries in the last two games have been far better trajectory wise at least. He's still hit a few aimless balls straight to unmarked defenders both days. I was really happy to see Molloy do so well when he came in and hopefully he can keep it going if Richie Reid isn't back for the next day. I think without the pressure of looking for the "finishers" (Mullen and Cody) the forwards played far better as a unit and took their own chances well and also found the man in the better position more easily. I think if the forwards can continue to grow as a unit together they could form a really strong attack that we can add Mullen and Cody back into preferably a few weeks apart and let them add their significant skills to the attach without diminishing those who have played well around them. It will also strengthen our bench to have 2 or 3 lads who will likely get 3 or more championship games now to build their confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

I agree entirely. I hadn't read back any posts since the match and assumed the point/wide had been discussed. In fact another Galway point looked clearly wide from where we were sitting in the stand but was given.

Without question, P Deegan needs to be moved out of centre back and placed further up the field. He hasn't worked out in the backs in the past and it's just living in hope that he will now. You couldn't question his leadership and commitment but it's just not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Also thought though one of Kilkenny's points in the first half looked wide and I had a good view of it. Not sure was it Donnelly's first or the one later in the half from a tight angle.

• Advertisement

100%….. there was two Galway wides given as points, the umpire was definitely just guessing.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

@ MfMan I thought one of Mossys over his shoulder looked wide alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

As I've heard from auld lads in the past

"a bad umpire can be better than a good forward"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Don't even have to be that old. Go to a junior hurling match where the teams supply the umpires and you'll see it this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Unfortunately theres no competition for the corner back position. Wexford and galway went after that side last year. He was threw out of the way by shane o donnell and liam blanchfield got 2 or 3 goals off him in the park. Shane murphy definitely isnt a corner back but to be fair to him he has being our biggest fine. Whats dissapointing is we all kinda knew we needed to try a corner back and center back. We tried very little in these positions. I thought they might try moylan,rowe or david fogarty who could do well as the attcking corner back. They also could of done more with the number 6 position. Theres more to be got out of deegan in different positions.

With all due respect to carlow and they have put up respectable performances we should be able manage players instead of putting out the same team as the last day and possibly pick up more injuries. Apart from the goal tallis was very good and his puckouts were also good. He will learn from that mistake.We are very lucky to have himself and mason. Tallis will probably be on goal the next day. All injured lads will be given enough time.Richie reid hobbled off. Jordon molloy will probably start the next day. Luke hogan must be going well in training. I think he definitely has potential and is worth a go. I dont think he will make it this year. We will probably see the few u20 go back to their age group in a few weeks but i think dunne and shine are worth persistenting with.

There was a bit of disappointment here last year when herity linked up with Tipperary but looking at tipp the last few games i dont see anything standing out. We must be one of a few counties at this top level with no goal keeping coach. We are lucky to have good goalies so that always helps.

Herity is no loss was a poor goalie for Kilkenny, caused trouble in the camp and only goes to the highest bidder now. I have not seen him do anything for his club since he stepped down either

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭droppingball

Or the school he teaches in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Herity is fun on the radio. I liked him on Parkinsons podcast when he was a guest.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

I dont want to sound like i have something against deegan like others have about certain players i dont and i absolutely think he would do a better job in a few different positions but is it a worry that we have conceded 5 goals in the last 2 matches and lucky not to concede a few more?Silly mistakes against clare were repeated against galway.Some absolutely dreadful clearances and mixups.A lot of people here agree this isnt his best position for the county and theres big difference between club and county. Are we going to wait till we lose another match before theres a reaction.There is absolutely no way we will get away with that later in the year. Everyone can have a poor game but not trying to blood a pacey corner back was a big mistake. It was very obvious last year we needed to try a fresh face here. Very poor from management to not even try something else even with limited options last sunday.

Galway are a very poor outfit. They will do well to get out of Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭kentu

Absolutely that performance was much worse than last week....They are lacking a lot of pace all around the field.

Hats off to Wexford they are a fair team when backs are against the wall.

Wexford worked their socks off throughout the entire match. Galway looked unfit and clueless. Eamonn O'Shea could be a hindrance with him complicating things and confusing the players. He might get it right next year after he ousts Shefflin and brings in Liam Sheedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭kk.man

Henry has got to be in trouble after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Today was probably the worst performance from a Galway team since shefflin took over. Wexford outfought and outhurled Galway all over the field. Galway were all over the place. All is obviously not well in that camp and I don't see shefflin there after this year.

After going a man up they looked even worse. Not taking anything away from wexford as they hurled like troopers and everything went right for them today but as we saw in salthill last week and even more so today Galway need a lot of restructuring. They are still too dependent on their 2017 crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭davidx40

I think Galway have actually gone backwards under Henry , hard to see any positives out it

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭conor05

That is the exact performance Wexford are going to bring to Nowlan Park on 26th of May with a huge Wexford crowd egging them on with a warm Sunday.

Wexford play their best hurling when written off and their big Wexford crowd behind them.

I think Wexford will refocus now and beat Carlow which would make the last round very interesting.

3 teams could end up on 7 points and down to score difference to see who makes the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭The_Tank

The mobility that Mikey Carey and Jordan Molloy would bring down the middle would be important to shoring us up better against Wexford. Deegans distribution and looseness would cause the ball to be ran back at us and all sorts of problems. That said, and despite the fact that Wexford were impressive in their play today, I think we’re lining them up. We have been poor against the running style of Limerick and Wexford, both in our attack and defence. But I sense the lessons are being learned and we’re seeing signs of improvement and variance of styles as Lyng promised. Beating Wexford (and more importantly overcoming their style) is a critical indicator of progress in my opinion. But it will depend on picking the right personnel (which may not be the same personnel you take on Galway or Clare with)

I posted here of my observations of the Galway sideline antics from the match in Salthill last Sunday. I said that Eamonn O'Shea appeared to have a bigger role than was indicated and how he patrolled the line and called up the other mentors individually throughout, apparently giving out instructions. And was constantly shouting in instructions to the players. Galway looked sloppy and confused with the game plan yesterday. Bringing in O'Shea isn't working at present and if they don't get going, either he or Henry will go. You can't have two masters shouting in instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Mad though that Sheedy and O'Shea could work together and get success, call be judgemental if you want but Sheedy comes across to me as a fella with a massive ego.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 maireadf

is the Dublin kilkenny match broadcasted anywhere ?

Advertisement