Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭confidentjosh

The latest drone footage from DroneHawk. Includes some very impressive mid air gymnastics!

Macroom Bypass Stage 1 nears completion      

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Confirmed in de paper yesterday also that the Council are in discussions with the contractors about an early opening later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

is the plan to open the bypass as far the Millstreet road, or further west (Carrigphuca)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No-one is sure yet. Opening to the Millstreet road would free up the centre of Macroom but it would be messy getting back to the current N22. Opening to Carrigphuca is tricky as there is no junction there. I still feel that is more likely though - some form of temporary terminus I'm sure would be possible there, and would get Macroom done and dusted anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Purely speculation on my part but the fact that they’re in discussions with the contractor would suggest to me they’re looking at Carrigaphooca. Opening as far as Millstreet Road would be a simple job as soon as the contractor have handed over that section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

If the project was to have been handed over only when complete, the council would have to re-negotiate with the contractor for any kind of phased opening, including to Millstreet Road. Depending on where site compounds are, losing the Eastern section may make things more difficult to complete works on the western section, or may require construction traffic to come back onto the current local roads. My guess is that it’ll open with one lane each way, with two rows of cones down the middle to reserve a through-way for construction traffic.

If the Millstreet road junction is “messy” for rejoining the old N22, it will only be a temporary measure for Kerry-bound traffic, and it’s a lot, lot better than having that traffic driving through Macroom. Remember that the reason it’s so hard at the moment to turn right here is that you have to wait a very long time for a gap in the constant stream of traffic coming from your left, out of Macroom. That stream of traffic won’t be there anymore.

Carrigaphuca is a non-starter... the height difference means that there’s no safe way to connect the new road to the old, even temporarily. You can see that in the video posted above (at 5’51”: https://youtu.be/MweBNq8nU40?t=351 ). It would be really expensive, and possibly dangerous, and it only bypasses a section of the old road that doesn’t have traffic issues anyway. It’s not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭serfboard

"My guess is that it’ll open with one lane each way, with two rows of cones down the middle to reserve a through-way for construction traffic."

We don't do this that much (at all?) in the South, but up North, they do it regularly - it was done around Castledawson on the A6 during the recent construction, and further along the A6, it is currently being done on the Dungiven->Derry section.

I was thinking that - at about 5:58 you can see the barriers across the new road - I reckon they could do a wide sweeping hairpin onto the temporary construction ramp and down onto the old road at a T junction of sorts. It's do-able I think, but I wouldn't be an expert on it. The gradient is no worse than what they have temporarily on the M8 at Dunkettle.

Going to Millstreet Road.... thats fine too as long as people realise it would be for the benefit of Macroom itself, and not to save time for drivers. The route back to the N22 plus the new road would be about the same off peak as ploughing through Macroom itself.

It’s worse than it looks. The drone camera is compressing the difference in heights. If you’ve driven near there it’s a pretty steep incline from the re-routed old road up to the new mainline. They’re not doing temporary tie-ins at Dunkettle because they think it’s good, but because have no choice. Also, that’s a 60 km/h limit, with traffic lights and enough traffic movements in place to keep the real speed close to that. On this scheme there is an alternative to a temporary tie-in, and that temporary tie-in wouldn’t be on a controlled junction, but in a remote area with a high chance of people driving far above the posted speed.

If they did do a tie-in, I fully expect it would result in some fool driving their car through a barrier late one winter evening, and then the cost of the inevitable court-case against the council and the contractors will delay the project, and guarantee there will never be another partial opening of anything, ever.

...like I almost did on the Banbridge bypass! They were doing roadworks late one night, and it was a very poorly signposted diversion where you did a hairpin turn and went up the onramp, if that makes sense. Absolutely terrifying.

I hope they do go to Carrigphooca and just work out a way somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

The N30/N25 New Ross Bypass is another fairly new road that has no hard shoulder for most of its length. Only the slightly busier section on either side of the bridge at the western end of the route is HQDC - the remainder is 2+2. I’ve travelled it many times and it is a perfectly safe design for the relatively low traffic volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Just a small correction in the interests of accuracy regarding the N18 where you said “N18 Bunratty Bypass is the oldest part of this road”. It’s actually kind of the opposite. The old Shannon Dual Carriageway as we locals called it ran from Coonagh Roundabout to just east of Bunratty Castle. It opened in phases starting from the late-70s if I recall correctly. The dual carriageway resumed to the north-west of Bunratty and ran through Hurler’s Cross until the eastern edge of Shannon Town (this original road went to Shannon and you actually exited to the right for Ennis!). There were daily traffic jams going through Bunratty until they finally opened the bypass in the early-90s, effectively completing the Shannon Dual Carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Not that I’ve heard but work on the Macroom bypass section is roaring ahead now again now that the builders holidays is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Any updates on progress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Roundabout at Coolcower is 90% complete and I would expect it to be fully functioning shortly.

As for the Macroom section of the bypass, It looks like surface is almost ready with tidy ups to do.

Works on the dividing barrier has started but early stages as well as lining yet to commence.

Has it been confirmed what will happen on the western end? Will traffic be brought back onto the existing route via Millstreet cross or will a temporary solution be put in at Carrigaphooca?

Post edited by Ambush Rebel 2010 on

Thats still the golden question. No information on where a temporary tie in will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Here’s Carrigaphuca where the new road crosses the old - just west of the overbridge. I’ve marked the only practical option for a tie-in in orange, but I’m still sceptical that they’ll actually do this - there’s a difference in levels, and connecting the roads here would create a nasty temporary junction between the old N22 and the new route right on a bend, just after a roundabout. The “old N22” will still be fairly busy with local traffic here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Any mutterings coming out about a partial finish or indeed a date for a full finish (well open to traffic - tidy up works)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kegblag

I heard several weeks ago the rumoured target was October bank holiday weekend for a partial opening. If I'm the only person who's heard that rumour I'd not take too much notice of it though.

You aren’t - that rumour has been going around a while now. Any further works complete along Coolcower-Gurteenroe?

Full finish is still down as late next year - I’d guess October/November 2023. That date may slip due to the partial opening of the eastern end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I had a look at this on open street map and would work ok.

Local traffic the town side of the potential tie in at Carrigaphuca could get to Macroom via the old road and anyone to the Kerry side of the tie in could get to Macroom on the new road via the Millstreet interchange.

There'd be an odd house or potential routing that might have a longer way for the duration of the tie in being in operation but it wouldnt be drastically longer, and not enough of an inconvience to put off relieving 1000s of residents and motorists from the pain of a congested Macroom.

You haven’t considered local traffic that is not going to Macroom at all, and will continue to use the current N22. For these users, the new roundabout and link roads must remain open as they are now, and it is this that makes a tie-in so dangerous here:

Local traffic from west of Macroom (the blue line) is in direct conflict with Killarney-origin traffic (green line) wishing to join the new road. The distance between the crossover point and the roundabout is barely 150 metres, and traffic that has just turned left off that roundabout will be naturally be accelerating, as will the right-turners joining the new road.

If you were designing a layout to encourage high-speed frontal collisions, this would be a good starting point. And to save less than two and a half minutes of travelling time bypassing a free-moving road at a lower speed limit with one at a higher limit?

And as for relieving Macroom, opening from Coolcower to the Millstreet Road will do this already. The western edge of Macroom town does not suffer from traffic congestion except as a result of eastbound traffic backing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭serfboard

Would a temporary roundabout not solve this problem? If there is to be a partial opening, anything other than Carrigaphooca is sub-optimal, IMO.

There isn’t room for a temporary roundabout on the new link road, and one could not be built on the dual carriagway. Maps are flat, and that’s fooling a lot of people, but the terrain here is not: at their closest point, there’s a considerable difference in height between the new and old roads (around 3 metres, I think), and that makes any tie-in more dangerous and expensive.

I don’t get why the partial opening as far as Millstreet Road is now seen as a poor option - it means that for the first time in decades, Macroom town centre will not be choked by traffic. To me, that is a major win.

All other problems on either side of Macroom are due to that congestion within the town centre. If I’ve been stuck in traffic before the Auld Triangle (west of the Millstreet Rd), that traffic jam has lasted all the way through Macroom to Coolcower. Once you fix the centre, there’s really no need for a longer-distance opening, because traffic will be running freely on the old N22 between Millstreet Rd and Carrigaphuca.

And 18 months from now, the whole thing will open, and whether or not a a tie-in was built won’t matter - it seems like a lot of effort, cost and risk to go to for such a small benefit for such a short length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dunsie2013

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jons-civil-engineering-company-ltd_pavement-civil-engineering-activity-6973635336396537857-KevB?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_ios

First time poster, Thanks to all the contributors and Dronehawk for sharing your knowledge (both local and technical).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 RockCastle

Michael Creed is saying on his latest Facebook post that the bypass between Coolcour and Carrigapooka will open before the end of the year so that confirms that it wont be just as far as the Millstreet junction.

Advertisement