Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

I looked up multiple providers. For my usage I found the following plan with Bord Gáis

Plan: 100% Green Free Time Sat Electricity

Free Saturday gives 100KWh of electricity every month. Standing change is good.

Bonkers.ie isn't showing this plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Dunno giw useful that is tbh. Requires a lot of planning and saving up leccy to be used. My missus would not want to pile up the washing anyways. Tough enough waiting for night time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

That's the tariff I'm on. It's fine if you can load shift (all laundry on saturdays, refill battery, refill car, boil the immersion, do some baking), but we're a two person household, so we have a flexibility others don't have. (And we do load shift successfully, pre solar it was an equal split between day/night/free saturday. It's coming into play less in the summer with the solar installed).

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭fuse

Thanks for sharing.

Has me wondering now what else are we missing by trusting bonkers/switcher.

Why does it not show it?

Free time Saturday sounds pretty attractive. Up to 100kWh a month from 9-5 on a Sat or Sun. Sounds like a great deal for those with EVs to charge.

Seems the only thing missing on that deal is a FIT price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

100 units free per month is hardly that amazing when you've got the hassle of having to move things around in order to avail of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd agree. Sounds better on paper. We've an EV with a short range so can't leave the charging all until 1 day a week. And doing all the washing and drying on a Sat doesn't sound like a chilled weekend. And a wash is only 1-2kwh give or take.

I bet anything the provider worked out average usage on a Sat and offered it as know most people wont have heavy usage. Same principle as some companies that offer unlimited holidays for staff. Majority of staff don't take more.

For those with heat pumps it might be worth doing the maths on it. Or large EVs that don't do huge range and can get to low % during week. Or veryyyy large house batteries.

Tis a personal choice of course. But a 'free day a week' sounds better on paper I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AnswerIs42

I'm not very good at finding cheap plans so I must be missing something but what cheaper plan is there than the one @askU found?

I can't find a plan with lower day/peak/night and standing charge on bonkers or switcher. So regardless of load switching or even the free Saturday, it seems to be the cheapest out there.

I have a heat pump so looking for a low night rate and that Bord Gáis seems to be the best at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Do heat pumps only work at night? I've one going into a new build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No, they work 24/7 but they cycle on and off as they need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

For me, its about switching to ANY of the providers giving fit payment on my export. I know its a tiny gesture but I'll be leaving EI and BG have no fit either so feck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭AnswerIs42

Ah, that's the factor I was missing. I have Solar PV as well but had long given up on FIT. I might research it a bit more so before picking a plan. Thanks

I have a similar plan with Energia but no free Saturday @100kw / month. Energia has similar unit price to Bord Gáis.

Bord Gáis plan: Free Time Sat Electricity is potentially €20 per month cheaper.

I too would like to know if there's a better price plan. ( Especially night and standing change)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MTK_1966

I am not sure this forum is the correct place for this question - I have newly installed solar PV and am wondering if my meter can measure the export of my surplus. I have an Iskra ME168 meter installed by ESB in 2010. I would hate to think my current supplier is getting my surplus export for free

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Unlikely, but nobody is getting paid yet, and when not on a smart meter your export is "estimated"

Hi Graememk, Is there a website where all of this is described? I would like to read more about it. I have not informed my supplier that I have solar, do I need to let them know?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭idc

Now I know EI has not stated what their FIT will be but I did notice there is no reason now not to switch to their "Home Dual+ Night Boost" smart plan vs "Electricity NightSaver & Gas" (normal day/night meter + gas) as unit rates and standing charges are identical on both but the smart plan has the advantage of a cheaper Night Boost kWh rate between 02:00 - 04:00 everyday

I see a clear explanation on the SSE website of using solar and how payments will be made - it is here: https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre/microgeneration/

According to https://energyd.ie/export-payments/ SSE and pinergy are the only electricity supply paying for FIT

Edit

According to https://www.purevolt.ie/domestic-solar/feed-in-tariffs.php Date 14th July, Energia pay FIT. But can't find anything on Energia website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭paulbok

I like the idea of getting the fit rebate in November/May. Be nice to have a ~€100 credit in the winter to offset the increased grid purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I like the idea of getting the fit rebate in November/May.

I don't. Its going to get very messy if they owe you money and you change to a new provider in between FiT payments. If they do a balancing statement when you leave and its all automated then that would be fine but I bet they'll make a mess of that.

I think Electric Ireland are planning to pay your FiT on each bill. I like that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

It should be on each bill. That way when you leave they issue a final bill for usage, feed-in and everything else. Much cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭connesha

RE Bord Gais, I just pinged them on their online chat, and was told that they'll be announcing FIT on Aug 25th. 🤞

Post edited by connesha on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭DC999

As we all know many / most companies across the world wants to make it 'stickier' for you to stay / harder for you to leave. So I reckon some of them will pay infrequently so people won't want to walk away from a large credit. Or means they put the effort on us to chase them for the refund which can be a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭jkforde

purevolt.ie now stating that EI will pay 14c CEG. how Energia can get away with paying nearly ½ of current market trend.. I guess they're playing a different game..

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️ | Smart Day/Night

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not defending them, but they haven't announced anything yet. And that website is the only source. Will reserve judgement until its official

There was a statement from EI yesterday stating their rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭paulbok

Didn't think of that. Yeah, monthly much cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭curioustony

With the statement from EI reported yesterday, I decided to do some comparisons for my own usage and setup. The hands down winner is the day/night meter. Of course getting one of those might mess up the FIT (given I have a smart meter already). The scenarios relate to the start and stop time and % for load-shifting for my 5.7kWh battery. And as-is is a seasonal plan for load-shifting. The best I can do right now is SSE 33% discount, but I expect them to have a price rise soon, and as @DC999 says suppliers will likely make me follow them for the ~€160 in FIT so far this year...

I was disappointed with the BGE Freetime Sat result that @askU found. No published FIT rate yet from BGE does not help. I even use most electricity on a Saturdays during daytime hours.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Might be worth adding Energia EV D/N plan to your calcs.

Advertisement