Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A NYT article on the now casual indifference of Europe to COVID, a sign of how far we have come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

Another interesting study published two days ago: “Effectiveness of BNT162b2 Vaccine against Omicron in Children 5 to 11 Years of Age” by Tan et al., with almost 256k children included in the analysis. 67.7% of the children who were 5 to 11 years of age were fully vaccinated, 12.0% were partially vaccinated, and 20.3% were unvaccinated.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2203209

Vaccine effectiveness against all confirmed infections in the fully vaccinated group as compared with the unvaccinated group was 48.8% at 7 to 14 days after the second dose of vaccine, 37.6% at 15 to 29 days after the second dose of vaccine, 28.5% at 30 to 59 days after the second dose of vaccine, and 25.6% at 60 days or more after the second dose of vaccine.

22 serious adverse events after vaccination among children 5 to 11 years of age were reported to the Health Sciences Authority in Singapore.

Among hospitalized children, only 5 received supplemental oxygen, four of whom were admitted to the intensive care unit. Of these five children, one was unvaccinated, two were partially vaccinated, and two were fully vaccinated.

There is no evidence that vaccination protects children against getting very sick and requiring oxygen and ICU treatment. Rapidly declining vaccine efficacy certainly does not help with keeping the kids protected from the infection and consequently from missing out on education.

More importantly however, the risk of severe adverse reaction to the vaccine is over 4x greater than the risk of a child getting very sick and being admitted to intensive care.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

In response I offer some waffle about herd immunity

And something about those not taking vaccines killing my granny

Yet another study from Qatar: “Protection of SARS-CoV-2 natural infection against reinfection with the Omicron BA.4 or BA.5 subvariants”, published 12 July 2022.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.11.22277448v1

Effectiveness of a previous pre-Omicron infection against symptomatic BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 15.1%, and against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection irrespective of symptoms was 28.3%. Effectiveness of a previous Omicron infection against symptomatic BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 76.1%, and against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 79.7%. That is for a period of more than 90 days - at least 90 days between infections.

They have done a sensitivity analysis to adjust for vaccinations and found that vaccines had negligible effect on the data and did not changed the results. The protection levels were due to a natural immunity caused by previous infections.

Throw “120,000 people may die” on top of that and you have a solid foundation for a narrative behind the policy of dealing with covid, that some governments would have been proud to come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Misquoting studies again?

Tye findings if the study are not what you have posted above. You have taken a couple of lines out of context and come to your own misguided conclusions.

This is the result of the study ...

"Our findings indicate the protective effect of vaccination against infection and severe illness. We found that the vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization was higher with full vaccination with two doses of BNT162b2 (82.7%) than with partial vaccination with one dose (42.3%)"

Also 22 severe reactions was 0.005% of all doses administered , and while these children were vaccinated during the high infectivity of the Omicron wave, the hospitalisation rate was reduced substantially , and yes , only 5 were admitted to ICU .

In fact what you have omitted is that 6 children developed MIS-C , a very serious condition , of whom only one was fully vaccinated .

This is all in the link you provided, which in fact either proves you don't understand it , don't know how to read it or are deliberately misquoting the data , to what end ...only you know that .

I don’t see how what you found changes the findings. Hospitalisations is not something that should be taken as a metric, as we don’t know what level of caution for vaccinated vs unvaccinated was applied when hospitalising children in Singapore and how that compares with other countries. Would they be more biased towards hospitalising an unvaccinated child vs a vaccinated one when both showing the same symptoms? What truly matters are ICU numbers.

Hospitalisation numbers may possibly matter when we want to protect an inefficient and mismanaged healthcare system but I don’t buy that sh1t. Healthcare system is to protect people, not the other way around. Nevertheless it makes no difference to the fact that vaccinating children with these experimental mRNA drugs ‘just in case’ should stop now as there is no medical benefit to it. Not to mention that the protection that the vaccine provides barely lasts 3 months and that its long term safety is unknown. Kids are better off short and long term without it. Messing with their immune systems that are still in a process of forming is plain stupid.

These are only short term effects. I’m sure there are long terms adverse effects of vaccines that will come to the surface at some stage in the future.

Post edited by walus on

Covid messes with their immune systems more as evidenced in your own link , and who knows what is in store for anybody after repeated infection with highly inflammatory virus .

Anyway no interest in discussing really just wanted to point out that while you may think you are getting away with posting misinformation here because the thread is dead, you are not .

You can call it what you want, but me posting here a couple of interesting studies is not misinformation. These are results of scientific work and are posted here with no intention to deceive anybody. I have mentioned these here as they are peer-reviewed research pieces published most recently and are to provide a more than adequate support to an argument I was making earlier, which was that protection from vaccines is short lived, infection provide strongest and longest immunity, and that vaccinating children makes no sense from medical perspective (I claimed that much earlier this year too). These are becoming facts to the scientific community at large but interestingly do not trickle through the media yet. Will they ever?

In fact there are some people here who purposely or not, time and time again, claim that the vaccine is as good as previous infection or that the people are getting re-infected as frequently following previous infection as those following vaccination. They are the ones spreading the misinformation. What they are saying is simply not true. The mRNA vaccines were supposed to work like that but sadly they don't. I provided independent evidence that supports my point of view. That is all.

Contrarian thinking gets often labeled 'misinformation' and contrarians are often called different names i.e. 'conspiracy theorist', and we have seen a lot of that here. It is nothing more than a defensive mechanism that is used to discredit and marginalise others with different point of view, so that the existing beliefs of the herd can prevail. The governments and the media have done that a lot recently too.

You clearly have no interest in critically looking into your choices in the context of a new information, and that is totally fine with me. But labeling a post 'misinformation' simply because it challenges your beliefs is not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

These omicron sub variants seem to be getting weaker and weaker, hospital cases peaked at a little over a thousand beds in this latest wave, lower than the March wave which itself was lower than the December/January wave

I'd almost be confident the restrictions won't be coming back only for we have 2 fools heading our government for the next 3 years

• Advertisement

That and the fact that the population becomes more immune as more and more people gets natural immunity from being infected in the previous waves. We are on a good trajectory.

No studies have said that infection provides better immunity only hybrid immunity...long post above full of nothing but your opinion which is only highly rated by an audience of one..yourself !

Most of what you have said above is pure bs and directly opposite to what has been shown to be true .

I have no interest in discussing it further as you obviously are trolling here . Goodbye .

Just because you are not aware or reject new evidence does not mean that it does not exist, but sure bury head in the sand. It is better that way, right.

"Duration of mRNA vaccine protection against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants in Qatar": https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.03.13.22272308v1.full.pdf

And "Duration of immune protection of SARS-CoV-2 natural infection against reinfection in Qatar": https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.06.22277306v1.full.pdf

These two most recent papers provide a very good evidence that challenges your very dated beliefs. The fact that mRNA vaccines wane quickly is a public knowledge at this stage anyway. RTE did not mention it yet? Then it surely isn't true. Good luck to you.

Man, you have to laugh...🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

And don't forget mask mandates have been written into law so can be brought in any time. Of course it won't be used, just like the digital covid cert was only for 6 weeks so indoor hospitality could re-open.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

If we didn't reinstate restrictions earlier this year in Feb/March when cases, hospitalisations, ICU admissions were much worse, why would we do so now, or ever again?

But, don't let reason get in the way of a good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The government is to end public testing in the Autumn.

It follows advice from the new CMO.

Better late than never. What an incredible waste of money. Perhaps over a billion spent on testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That reads like the predictions that were made last December and the start of January. It was all baseless.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Now you're contradicting yourself. As you've said, Omicron paved the way for the removal of restrictions. So why, according to you, will these same restrictions be reinstated when Omicron and it's many subvariants are going nowhere. Indeed one could argue that the subvariants are even less harmful than the original Omicron, which itself was less harmful than Delta. I just don't see the case for restrictions. But it won't stop some posters fantasizing about them on here..

Man you do have to laugh ...that research that you keep going on about has not been accredited or peer reviewed yet as compared to other studies I and other less gullible posters have posted...but sure you know better than the scientific community who insist on peer review before taking any ( old piece of bs ) thing as gospel !

• Advertisement

Check your facts before spreading misinformation.

The paper on vaccines study has been submitted on 13th March and published since: Nature Communications doi: 10.1038/s41467-022-30895-3. The second paper was only submitted on 7th July and is awaiting the review. There is nothing unusual about that. Both come from the same group of people, same country. Moreover the latter only confirms what has been concluded by researchers in other countries already. I have provided the context for these papers the first time I mentioned and quoted from them in my post #33464 on 19/07/22 at 11:33 am.

You keep on advocating for the vaccines and discrediting all the facts and information that argue against them with all the bullsh1t at your disposal. I suggest that you provide a solid evidence to support your arguments rather than a constant nonsense. It does not stand up to any scrutiny.

I understand that, by your own admission, you are now on your 5th vaccine. Is it possible that you are totally biased and have gone that rabbit hole way too far to see the light any more? And no evidence will change that? As I said before, confirmation bias and sunk cost fallacy have no limits. You are a perfect example of that. Stay there if that is what you want in a hope to keep your reality intact, I could not care less. With all above considered, you have no credibility whatsoever imo. 

Post edited by walus on

They are gone though, unlike what the "experts" here told us

Here you lose any degree of creedibility your selective assessment on data gives you

You keep on advocating for the vaccines and discrediting all the facts and information that argue against them with all the bullsh1t at your disposal.

What facts and information argue against vaccines?

Waning against post omicron infection is similar with previous infection as with vaccine.

Effectiveness against serious infection is sustained at a similar level between vaccines and and previous infection.

Boosters do give protection, for a time, against infection in to hose who would benefit, but also boost protection against serious infection.

Boosters are a far lower risk route to protection, however short term, rather than relying on infection, for those who need it.

The studies you reference don't contradict any of those facts? So what is it, a fear of needles?

That wasn't my original point though. We were told covid certs were only for 6 weeks in hospitality settings so they could re-open safely. Ended up being in place for 6 months and actually extended to other services e.g. gyms, cinemas, hair dressers.

Now we're being told mask mandates have been added to legislation "just in case". Fool me once and all that. As I've said, sit back and watch the noise from the likes of teachers unions when schools start to re-open. Hope I'm wrong though.

Well, for example as per post #33482 - vaccines are not much good for the kids and young folks. If anything quite the opposite. There is a strong argument that for that cohort risk vs benefit should be re-evaluated as there does not seem to be a medical justification to vaccinate children as such. Especially against omicron.

That was your selective misrepresentaiton.

The conclusion of the report you linked was

During a period when the omicron variant was predominant, BNT162b2 vaccination reduced the risks of SARS-CoV-2 infection and Covid-19–related hospitalization among children 5 to 11 years of age.

Of course you know better.

Is that all you take from this study? This is not much of a ground braking conclusion as Pfizer have told us all that months ago. Putting that into context i.e. efficacy over 2 month period from injection may make it sound far less impressive. But of course you know better and accuse me of being selective. Lol. We have been there before, you and I. Let's don't waste each other's time.

Post edited by walus on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well, one of us has referenced facts and provided links to supporting data, and one has spouted whatever reality exists inside their own head without any evidence whatsoever.

I suspect you might not be interpreting correctly objective reality.

Advertisement