Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain and Portugal are at their driest for 1,200 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

That definitely ^^

AND a whole bunch of MagicK ..

Do you ever notice parts of eg Ireland where it rains most are the places tis most deserved (ye know who ye are !) ..

I think its all electric .. mindset etc .. if theyre generally Miserable on the ground they get it in the teeth .. i've seen it .. personally .. frontline stuff .. at the rockface .. in different parts of Ireland

(Ye know !)

Which is a real problem for a solid savvy guy like myself just tryin to get ahead .. cheerful disposition, will marry etc ..

tis all electrical .. look no further

Whereas by the sea, the West coast, theyre always lighthearted and Always up for the craic .. all that sea air ..

Tis all electrical i tell you

Just move to the sea and shut up about it

PS. and tf cheer up. The weather is simply down to attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Well begorrah, if it tisn't the lowly sub-human cratur that Charles Darwin wrote about in forming his natural selection out of the less favoured Irish/Celt 'race' in contrast to the favoured Anglo-Saxon 'race'.

" On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life" Charles Darwin, 1859

Want to know what a begosh-begorrah less favoured race looks like ?, didn't think so but here it is anyway-

" Given a land originally peopled by a thousand Saxons and a thousand Celts- and in a dozen generations five-sixths of the population would be Celts, but five-sixths of the property, of the power, of the intellect, would belong to the one-sixth of Saxons that remained. In the eternal 'struggle for existence,' it would be the inferior and less Favoured Race that had prevailed- and prevailed by virtue not of its good qualities but of its faults and narrower brain. " Charles Darwin, Descent of Man, 1871

Modelling humanity into favoured/less favoured 'races' had spectacular results in WWII - it is called the Holocaust today.

Like I said, anti-social is the kindest I can come up without turning people off to academic indulgences which must be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

You're drinking, right ?

Thanks to the OP for bringing up the anti-social Oirish behaviour.

Reasonable people could learn a great deal from the Victorian races/racism doctrine called natural selection as the doctrine emerged as a variant of Malthus just as global warming modelling morphed into the more disastrous climate change modelling. By right it should make the reader aware how a really bad notion (Malthus) turns into something exceptionally dangerous (Darwin) while this academic monstrosity hasn't been dealt with properly despite its appearance in the 20th century as a favoured/superior Aryan 'race' and the Holocaust.

During the empire building years, including the famine years in Ireland, the prevailing opinion was that the needs of the invader outweigh the needs of the invaded and especially when it came to land resources and food. The justification was that the invader was driven by concern for his native population rather than whether the local population starved and died. Trevelyan was a student of Malthus and took the doctrine seriously-

"Till at length the whole territory, from the confines of China to the shores of the Baltic, was peopled by a various race of Barbarians, brave, robust, and enterprising, inured to hardship, and delighting in war. Some tribes maintained their independence. Others ranged themselves under the standard of some barbaric chieftain who led them to victory after victory, and what was of more importance, to regions abounding in corn, wine, and oil, the long wished for consummation, and great reward of their labours. An Alaric, an Attila, or a Zingis Khan, and the chiefs around them, might fight for glory, for the fame of extensive conquests, but the true cause that set in motion the great tide of northern emigration, and that continued to propel it till it rolled at different periods against China, Persia, Italy, and even Egypt, was a scarcity of food, a population extended beyond the means of supporting it." Thomas Malthus

The result of the doctrine of Malthus was that food left Ireland during a time when people were starving and dying from famine disease but the worst was yet to come. Instead of recognising the failings of a section of English academic/political society during the 1840's, shortly after the famine they built on the doctrine of Malthus, but shifted the emphasis to the biological failings of the native population along with the biological necessity to invade and exterminate the local population as a 'law of nature'. The following was written before natural selection appeared-

"One day something brought to my recollection Malthus's "Principles of Population," which I had read about twelve years before. I thought of his clear exposition of "the positive checks to increase"--disease, accidents, war, and famine--which keep down the population of savage races to so much lower an average than that of civilized peoples. It then occurred to me that these causes or their equivalents are continually acting in the case of animals also..... because in every generation the inferior would inevitably be killed off and the superior would remain--that is, the fittest would survive.... The more I thought over it the more I became convinced that I had at length found the long-sought-for law of nature that solved the problem of the Origin of Species." Alfred Russel Wallace, 1858

The means by which global warming morphed into climate change modelling has an antecedent in the academic world as the Malthus/Darwin affair. If our society believes that academics will come to their senses by not portraying every weather event as a sign of climate change modelling and that they were wrong all along, they are badly mistaken. These people don't do shame and they certainly have no intention of correcting indulgences when allied with hysteria from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ah ffs lads, this nonsense has to stop. Now there are two of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

100% agree. This thread has descended into pure farce. Can a Mod please close it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You don't need to believe it. You need to accept it. What's the opposite of acceptance? Oh yeah, it's denial.

Typical denial on this forum "I'm so sick of people mentioning climate change every time there are continent scale record breaking heatwaves and droughts"

The weather we are experiencing throughout Europe and China and America and southeast Asia and Australia is not normal and there is a known cause. If these extemes happened once a decade we could say it's part of natural variability. But it's every year now and this is even in a La Nina year. When Enso flips the sh1t will really hit the fan

The news this morning is dominated by doom mongering on account of climate change modelling and its belief that humanity can control the weather/temperatures by doing or not doing something.

I generally leave anticipation of short term weather predictions to those who are interested in these topics, however, climate change modelling tries to magnify anticipation of future surface, atmospheric and oceanic conditions for the planet as dire conclusions and this is a separate topic of academic politics and misadventures and quite apart from genuine weather modelling.

It is not for everyone yet, only the most indifferent reader can ignore how something as bad as Malthus became something even worse via Darwin/Wallace. The same happened with global warming modelling turning into climate change modelling as all sense of discipline was lost through the same politics. It was always a problem and especially noted by the more renowned innovators among humanity-

"They are just like someone including in a picture hands, feet, head, and other limbs from different places, well painted indeed, but not modelled from the same body, and not in the least matching each other, so that a monster would be produced from them rather than a man. Thus in the process of their demonstrations, which they call their system, they are found either to have missed out something essential, or to have brought in something inappropriate and wholly irrelevant, which would not have happened to them if they had followed proper principles." Copernicus

If it is any consolation, even in a forum dedicated to weather and connected to climate through cyclical dynamics, there would only be a small audience presently with the ability to handle both the academic politics and the technical considerations. I too have learned to stay away from those who are just interested in weather without the need to appeal to planetary dynamics, yet when discussing climate, such an omission is impossible.

Once again, only a very small audience for the ins and outs of modelling indulgences whether natural selection (biology) or global warming (climate).

Any person can assert a conclusion and then charge those who don't accept the conclusion as denial/denialists. Someone can assert the Earth is flat and then create spurious and contrived reasoning to support it thereby setting up a false intellectual foundation for any acceptance or non acceptance. It is impossible to contend with climate change modelling for the same reason therefore raising the standard of consideration is the only option and specifically introducing planetary dynamics as the main driver of planetary climate.

The use of the word 'denial' is horrible as it hints in the direction of Holocaust denial. The fact is that people can judge for themselves whether the academic doctrine of natural selection played a central role in human extermination by misusing the Earth science of biology inherited from the Royal Society Victorians-

" Under proper guidance, in the course of the final solution the Jews are to be allocated for appropriate labor in the East. Able-bodied Jews, separated according to sex, will be taken in large work columns to these areas for work on roads, in the course of which action doubtless a large portion will be eliminated by natural causes. The possible final remnant will, since it will undoubtedly consist of the most resistant portion, have to be treated accordingly, because it is the product of natural selection and would, if released, act as the seed of a new Jewish revival." Wannsee Conference, 1942

This really happened on account of natural selection and a misuse of the Earth science of biology. Now it is our turn where misguided people are intent in misusing the Earth science of climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

lol f*cking hell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

You don't need to believe it. You need to accept it.

That's some top-drawer authoritarianism right there.

In Ireland down through history we've had Vikings, Normans, British, Catholic Church and they all ruled with some degree of iron fist. It seems everytime we shake off one regime, another one quickly moves into take its place. This time it's the Watermelons - green on the outside, red on the inside.

If science cannot be questioned and scrutinised - then it isn't science.

Very sad to see these trends and leanings taking over the scientific community. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Give me a break. The scientific evidence is unequivocal. You can either accept or or or deny reality. I know which path you've chosen

It takes two surface rotations acting in combination to explain long term cyclical weather, otherwise known as the seasons. Sometimes it takes people with common sense to recognise that visual evidence takes priority over any other consideration and especially as they surface rotations can be seen through time lapse of another planet-

Beyond all the facile academic politics and all the political hype are those two surface rotations to our parent star which make a mockery of the concerns of our era and the awful conclusions which are promoted as factual certainties.

Congratulations in advance to those who can work things out for themselves and find climate research for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

Apologies if I sound a bit dumb but are you trying to make a point? From your post, I'm unsure what your message/contribution is.

It is information sharing so no need to make a point as the imaging speaks alone whether I demonstrate the dynamics behind the seasons and climate or not. Some foolish people may assume I am making a desperate appeal, however, that belongs to the climate change modelling community and their many cheerleaders so that leaves people with a higher standard of consideration in all matters where climate and weather intersect.

So, 50 seconds in as the time lapse covers a few years very quickly, the two surface rotations become easily identifiable and this perspective in absolutely necessary in putting climate research on a proper foundation-

I am obligated to keep this approach front and centre even when others are speaking of acceptance/denial that humans can control the weather. It is not for cheerleaders of academics but for those who have a more expansive view of a planet that moves in two separate ways to the Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It is sometimes dismaying to see people diminish themselves in these matters for there is nothing at all difficult in extracting the anti-social behaviour from genuine climate research and acting as adults for the sake of students if not for themselves. If people are so attached to their diplomas and doctorates that they can't reason properly, they should stay clear of planetary climate which involves planetary dynamics as a basic skeletal structure and concentrate on short term weather predictions which do not have to appeal to cyclical weather.

Cyclical weather, better known as the seasons, has an underlying dynamical cause, whereas climate is dependent on the degree of inclination to the orbital plane which controls the range and speed of changes across latitudes as the Earth orbits the Sun while turning daily. The closer to the orbital plane, the greater the range and speed of those changes. If the Earth had an inclination similar to Uranus then life on the surface would be impossible, so even if these observers are searching for exoplanets with the same chemical composition as the Earth, size and distance from their Sun, habitation is not guaranteed.

The circumference where the Sun remains in view with the North pole at its centre is currently contracting and will contract until September 21st when that circumference disappears altogether and replaced with an expanding circumference where the Sun remains out of sight until its maximum Arctic circle circumference on the December Solstice.

It involves plenty of modelling, however, it also involves two surface rotations acting in combination and that is where it all begins.

Please make it stop

Please make what stop?.

The expanding and contracting circles with the North pole at its centre where the Sun remains constantly in view or out of sight is responsible for the Arctic sea ice development which follows that expansion/contraction. The North pole is currently turning towards the dark hemisphere of the Earth, so the circumference where the Sun remains in view is shrinking as the radius between the North pole and the dark hemisphere decreases.

Weather is cyclical before it is anything else whether the day/night cycle or the seasonal cycle. After this, climate is the rate and range of change across latitudes so it is far more complicated than a blanket definition that climate is long term weather because it suits climate change modelling.

With all your pleading, I suggest you don't read anything I write as this is not for everyone. Just concern yourself with short term weather events which I enjoy too.

Post edited by Orion402 on

So have you a hypothesis as to why planet earth is encountering more extremes of weather through the seasons? High (and in some cases, low) temperature records are being beaten, if not smashed and this is occurring almost every year. Are there changes underway with the two surface rotations acting in combination that are causing changes in the climate?

• Advertisement

The reasons behind cyclical weather, like the seasons, is based on two surface rotations acting in combination and is no more a hypothesis than the heart pumping blood around the body is a hypothesis for we can visually affirm both.

I can even push the boat out from here and suggest that the ENSO, organised around the planet's rotational equator, equalises the variations of the atmosphere, oceans and landmass and influence weather based on this approach-

The components which go into the Earth sciences of biology, climate and geology are just as complex and intricate as the components which come together to make up the human body. The crude and anti-social behaviour which attempts to make climate an extension of weather is also present in the view of the planet and what makes life possible on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Billcarson

The guy is clearly deluded, wasting your time trying to talk sense to nutjobs like that.

I'll ask again: Have have you a hypothesis as to why planet earth is encountering more extremes of weather through the seasons? A simple yes or no followed by your reasonings if your answer is yes, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

highdef, I can't see that any aspect of earth's orbit could explain recent warming, such changes as might be ongoing are very subtle and not even in the right direction. For example, our current perihelion date in early January means that northern hemisphere summers are as cool as the orbit would allow since we are actually now furthest from the Sun. If the eccentricity changed that would either magnify or diminish the effect but I believe we are in a sort of long-term flat-line phase of "eccentricity" variation. The third variable would be obliquity (axial tilt) and that is currently slowly decreasing which would argue against warming of our summers too.

Thus while any number of restatements of the original thesis are sure to arrive in due course, logically speaking there cannot be any explanation for climate change issues or variability in general, from orbital changes on this time scale. Going back much further into the postglacial optimum and the last glacial maximum, etc, yes you could find support for larger variations, as Milankovitch has demonstrated.

The only interesting question for me about all climate change issues of a recent vintage would be, how much is down to human activity, and how much would have happened anyway from natural variability? The only way to answer that question is to develop a better science of natural variability against which we can measure unexpected additional changes likely to be human caused. I don't think we are as close to that goal as the IPCC would have us believe. So that's the only argument I have with the climate change folks.

" Are there changes underway with the two surface rotations acting in combination that are causing changes in the climate?"

Explaining the seasons properly for the first time is no small matter as planetary climate is the next topic based on inclination to the orbital plane so the former is necessary to explain the latter.

The North pole, with its zero daily rotation velocity, keeps the same orientation in space at all times during an orbit of the Sun so that point in space occupied by the star Polaris or the North star mirrors what happens on the surface of the planet (ignore the circumpolar motion of the other stars)-

In this case, modelling is brilliant for the purpose of interpretation and the conclusion that when daily rotation is extracted, the entire surface of the Earth turns once to the Sun over the course of a year as a function of the orbital motion of the Earth.

The body of a person represents the Earth while walking around a central object imitates the planet's orbit of the Sun with the floor representing the orbital plane. The nose of a person roughly represents the North pole so as they walk/orbit a central object/Sun, they discover that in order to keep their nose/North pole pointing constantly in the same direction as the walk/orbit, at one time or another, different parts of their body/Earth face the Sun/central object as they complete a circuit. This represents the second surface rotation aside from daily rotation.

The time lapse of Uranus shown previously shows the same behaviour for although the North/South poles of Uranus remain constantly pointing in the same direction, it means the entire planet has to turn parallel to the planet's orbital plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I think what highdef wants to know is, okay we all agree on the above as a foundation of the general climate, but what causes variations within the climate, either year to year from natural cycles, or some ongoing change such as the postulated AGW effect, or possibly an ongoing naturally induced warming augmented by AGW? You repeat time after time the same general principles (and as I say nobody here would disagree with them) but you cannot offer any specific thoughts about these variations. And as I pointed out, there are three basic variables in the earth's orbit, it does not remain entirely fixed over many centuries. These are all changing very slowly compared to the scale of climate change in recent decades so it seems very improbable that these variations are a cause of what we're talking about here. They are certainly a very likely cause of much longer cycles in climate.

I don't see any justification for a hostile attitude about any of this either, and a lot of the window dressing is entirely irrelevant to a weather forum discussion.

Many of the technical details were covered in another thread*, however, it is now much easier to arrive at genuine climate research by considering weather as cyclical before anything else. If a reader doesn't accept the causes of cyclical weather like the day/night cycle or seasonal cycle then climate as a topic will always be beyond reach.

The experiment of using the human body while walking around an object to imitate the orbital feature of a single surface rotation each circuit and aside from daily rotation is new to observers so they no longer need to inspect why previous researchers like Copernicus dropped the issue in favour of a less productive approach. As far as it goes, it is a matter of two different frameworks where the framework of Ptolemy, the one Copernicus was forced to filter his insights through, is deficient for explaining both Precession of the Equinoxes and more importantly, the direct/retrogrades of the faster moving Venus and Mercury.

I enjoy short term weather predictions like everyone else so stick to what you know. When it comes to putting climate research in order, cyclical weather and planetary dynamics takes centre stage and it takes effort to get to that point.

* https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058149316/2020-officially-saw-a-record-number-of-1-billion-weather-and-climate-disasters/p74

I would really like to know what the medical name for this condition is. Also, how this trolling nonsense is still allowed to continue.

If you are disturbed on account that climate research emerges out of cyclical weather and the underlying causes based on a moving Earth in a Sun-centred system, then don't read nor interpret what is in front of you. Just go your way and dwell on short term weather modelling and upcoming weather events.

Weather, in its cyclical format, is not open-ended like the modelling community try to do so breaking the bad habit of extending weather into climate without planetary dynamics takes quite an effort, even without pleading from people like yourself. The information sharing, which connects planetary dynamics to planetary climate, would only appeal to a small audience who do not want to be trapped in the squabble between climate change hysterics or denialists, at least as they describe each other.

So, there are people who want to consider climate without first considering cyclical weather such as the seasons and this is an impossibility as the benchmark for planetary climate is predictability first and foremost. A GP does not wish to overreach and be a surgeon and that is the difference between short term weather modelling and proper climate research for although the former is necessary and just as important, the latter requires a great deal of specialist knowledge and care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Attention seeking with a complete lack of self awareness. To be honest the poster comes across as rather desperate. Sad really.

Since the site went through that horrid 'update' everything has gone down the pan. I'd guess its on its last legs.

Advertisement