Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

HBO Max exclusively but subject to change I imagine, as Blue Beetle was also meant to be just HBO Max until they announced there will be a theatrical run.

In regards the suit, I get that it's meant to be self made and not the final version but they couldn't have picked a worse still as their first official marketing piece. It looks like crap because they didn't put any effort into the presentation of it.

In other news Joss Whedon has given a tone deaf interview in regards his time on Justice League. Particular highlights is him condescendingly claiming Gal Gadot misunderstood him as English isn't her first language, and calling Ray Fisher a bad actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Whedon interview was a big fat OOF...

Ray Fisher really surprised me with his performance in the theatrical Justice League. I thought he did a great job even with his fairly subdued role. My opinion of his performance only increased with ZS Justice League. For Whedon to try and put their argument down to Fisher being a bad actor, and criticising him just on behalf of Snyder, is insanity. Coupled with his comments about Gadot not understanding him because English isn't her first language (I think I read she started learning English at about 8 or 9 years old and is a working actress in America), is again, insanity.

Then you have all the other accounts of how awful he was on Justice League. He complains Snyder's original version made no sense and then produced what he did (which was far more nonsensical). The idea he was even being considered for Batgirl is crazy.

The rest of the interview is as much of a disaster, especially his excuses about everything that happened on his TV shows, his affairs etc. Everything is everyone else's fault.

Christ I used to be a huge fan of his, even stuff like his interviews, panels at conventions etc. I didn't think I could lose any more respect for him after the accusations came out in the last few years. Now I have. What an utter c*nt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, that was a nice career you had Joss Whedon. Talk about burning your bridges. Ah well. Fúck him, no great loss in the end. And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true 😎

And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true

Reported

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Search your feelings, you know it to be true 😁

Burn the land and boil the sea

You can't take Firefly from me ...

I did enjoy that episode where they really rammed home the Western motifs. Really rubbed it in your face. 😂

Ok, ok. I'll stop now I'm kidding, just in case. But I do think the show's cancellation and feverish fanbase gave it more legs and mythos than perhaps is deserved. A famously mistreated show, killed before it got a chance to really take off (or indeed, burn out its goodwill). YMMV, but when I finally watched it it left a distinct taste of "is that it?"

Joss Whedon though, what fall from grace. Though seems like had we listened to Charisma Carpenter all those years ago, the pop-culture world might have looked a little different, especially the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And Firefly was overrated; y'all know it's true

Joss Whedon though, what fall from grace. Though seems like had we listened to Charisma Carpenter all those years ago, the pop-culture world might have looked a little different, especially the MCU.

Yeah, f*ck that guy.

What a gut punch, after watching his shows since the 90s ( and the original Toy Story)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was a big Firefly / Serenity fan as a teen, and was great to get to see Whedon when he was over for DIFF quite a few years ago now. But the allegations are damning and the interview / profile is a trainwreck for him: he shows absolutely no remorse or even acknowledgment for his actions. Whatever about disputing some of the specifics, to double down and defend some of his behaviour is the worst possible approach. Add to that the fresh details and reporting in the piece and it's one of the most unflattering profiles I've read (although Jeff Garlin's recent interview was also a staggering act of self-sabotage).

There should be room for someone to truly look at their behaviour and genuinely apologise & change - there's no indication of that whatsoever in the profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Sweet Jesus. I haven't read that Vulture interview from JW yet. However if what people are saying here about how he treated Gal Gadot & Ray Fisher on set as being completely true his stint on Justice League should be an eye opening read.

It also could not bring out a more truer image of the man when we see him for what he is. What a truly miserable & odious individual.

What he has said in making these two actors lose respect for him really does not surprise me at all in how he treated them within a professional workplace environment. If JW has form of being a narcissist in both his professional & personal life. He must have given the greatest ability within himself not to give a fundamental sh*te in how his treats his staff within that professional capacity.

If you are known as a good director in the TV & movie industry whether in Hollywood or in countries. Nobody working within that field should tolerate what your personal demeanors are when you work with your own colleagues on set.

You must be seen to carry out your work at the highest level of professional competence as possible at all times. That is what makes you a good director in my book. If you can't bring that attitude to the table. Don't give yourself the brass neck to show your true-self afterwards.

You must not lose your **** with someone if you want to clear up a personal issue with them. Your colleagues are people too. They are not expecting you to act or do your work in unprofessional ways while you treat them like bags of dirt for just existing right in front of you.

To be honest, it does not surprise me in the least how they are allowed get away with such behaviour.

And it's certainly not a Hollywood or gender specific deal.

Ask any theatre nurse of their horror stories around some surgeons or kitchen staff vs a head or sous chef.

Anywhere high pressure with no accountability and you'll find these asshats throwing their tantrums

Traditionally with celebrities caught in some kind of personal controversy - especially some kind of abhorrent behaviour - the tactic tends towards some public contrition. Lots of Mea Culpa, talk about reflection, personal growth yada yada. All of course a cynical attempt to restart one's career sure, but I'm also guessing occasionally, it's sincere regret and shame.

That Whedon instead doubled down, insulting and attacking other professionals, makes you wonder what his agent is doing right now. PResumably slamming a sequence of shots, while removing a bunch of meetings from their calendar that was part of Whedon's planned tour of redemption. That has to be Whedon done now as a working professional in the big tiers; Hollywood is quick to forgive all sorts - but slamming professionals is probably too much.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Whedon just strikes me as the type of fellow who thinks he can talk his way out of things by using, his own words now, flowery speech. With feeble attempts at withering putdowns as well thrown into the mix.

I was a huge Buffy fan in spite of him because even as a kid, I could tell the guy was an ass through his own dialogue. I often felt he spoke through Xander for any fan of the show will tell you how much of a **** attitude he had at times, especially towards women and guys he felt inferior to.

On a separate note, this is much better as the lighting is much more complimentary:

AFAIK, it's yet another production taking place in Glasgow, the city yet again doubling for somewhere in the US. Have some family living over there and there has been a consistent grumbling over the succession of shoots necessitating road closures 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To no surprise the shoot was supposedly a nightmare for Pfeiffer, though I can't deny her look definitely... activated something in my brain back then lol.

It's a crying shame there's 100% no chance anything that oddball and unique would ever get made again in the superhero genre. It wasn't necessarily the most accurate take on Batman, but it was the most stylish and imaginative. Heck I'd have my doubts if even fans would buy into what was essentially a Penguin movie, with occasional Batman murdering goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,908 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think there's still scope for weird oddball unique takes on the comic/superhero genre - just not with the handful of massive properties in the top budget tier.

But we've particularly seen in TV that some still-pretty-big comic properties are allowed to run wild, like The Boys and Preacher.

• Advertisement

Right, but what I'd argue with The Boys is that it only exists as a reaction to the Superhero genre en masse - which is itself quite staid and safe. It's corporate counter-culture, laughing backwards at its targets and never really positioned itself as mainstream - as opposed to Batman Returns, which was the preeminent Superhero, given to a noted oddball director for a big summer blockbuster. The 1989 was a gigantic hit so the studio gave carte blanche to Burton - also something that'd be rare these days.

Maybe Joker is the closer equivalent, but it was a £35 million dollar "indie" movie, as opposed to a Tentpole release, McDonalds merchandise n' all. Now, IIRC Returns kinda flopped so it was a very brief period of singularly creativity - but those two films remain outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,908 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh for sure, but I think the appetite for a different kind of superhero/comic movie beyond the Marvel/DCU approach has been shown to exist, which is all it takes really. Likely at a much lower budget level of course, but with the right idea and people attached, I don't think the possibility for weirder takes to be tried is dead.

A lot would come down to a known director having a strong point of view, and the personal caché already built up to push it (like Burton himself had at the time - they'd have never made that type of movie without him having the clout to force them). So, y'know, if someone like Del Toro became interested in something, you could see it happening. Or even Edgar Wright, who was desperate to push things further with Ant Man, and ultimately dropped out when he wasn't allowed... if he was given a bit of freedom to work with a non-Marvel character we could get something interesting.

Oh the appetite is definitely there I agree, but I mean what might be dead is the bravery of a studio to risk that appetite on a Top Tier IP. And yet when that attempt is tried - be it Joker, or, to take a film that has become somewhat forgotten now, Logan - if the right amount of craft is applied they can do gangbusters.

I reckon the single blocker to that overall sense of artistry we're talking about is the curse & blessing of the Shared Universe. If the MCU wasn't so wedded to a distinct, codified structure and cohesion between each Marvel film, then as you mention we might have had an Edgar Wright Ant-Man. No Way Home was a great example of this in action; a return of Sam Raime's Doc-Ock yet there was something lacking throughout Alfred Molina's return. A lack of energy, playfulness maybe; worse, No Way Home openly laughed at the Doc, as is the MCU's want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Peacemaker was a fresher Superhero show, though I guess that just continued from The Suicide Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DC's big Comic Con announcement is rumoured to be Henry Cavill returning in a solo Superman movie directed by Zack Snyder

Jesus I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Any word if it's set before or after DCEU.

Back when MoS came out, it felt like it's own thing.

Advertisement