Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭walus

I don’t see how this answers my question, which in relation to a previous paper that you referenced to was: “What is the period post injection that this quoted figure of 70% is given for?”. Simple question - simple answer. it should not be too difficult for you. The answer is the paper you brought up yourself.

As for the last quote that you posted, I read papers a while back that stated that there was no evidence that vaccinating those who had an infection gives any immunity gains and that immunity that was obtained through the infection gives the strongest and longest lasting protection. May be worth checking where the funding is coming from, as that may have an impact on the findings.

The bottom line is that efficacy of mRNA vaccines wanes very quickly, and that they don’t protect from infection. It is astonishing to see a product that is so bad and yet making so much profit. In other circumstances or in different industries this would not have been possible. If a flatscreen TV was comparably bad, we would be sending it for a new backlight every 3 months. Otherwise it sort of works but the picture is not as bright as it once was.

But then again confirmation bias has no limits and those who lapped up the vaccine narrative and vaccinated themselves up to the gills do not critically look into and question their own choices. It has been over 2 years and nothing has changed and nothing will. I get that.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Not RTE, just common sense... What version of science do you follow?

Then don't mention scientific evidence when you express your opinion that is based on what you call a common sense.

How many versions of science are in your reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭live4tkd

Ukraine, the housing crisis and the economy have put a finish to lockdowns! We simply cannot afford them anymore!

Not sure who that is directed at, 1 for me anyway

I think you're right, when the digital COVID cert requirements were removed that really was the last restriction for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Removed in Ireland yes but ‘show me your papers’ still very much in operation in Europe.

I know someone who only about two weeks ago were forced to wear a mask and then had their temperature taken on arrival in Spain.

NOT 2020 but two weeks ago!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We are in Portugal - the requirement to upload a covid cert to enter the country was lifted the day we flew 2 weeks ago.

There didn't appear to be any other countries requiring a cert at the time bar the US, I think.They were the last 2 places.

Some people wear masks around here in supermarkets and that.Social distancing is not really a thing anymore.Aer Lingus requested we wear masks on the flight over which I had no problem with, and I will on the way back also.

That's it for me really.The heat is the bigger issue right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Masks remain mandatory in Portugal on public transport so that's why EI would require masks on both inbound and outbound flights, so long as 1 of the countries requires masks then the flights in either direction require them.

The heat will follow you home if your back in the next few days by the looks of it.

Enjoy the rest if the trip

If you are travelling to Spain by air or sea from an EU or Schengen Area country (find the full list of these countries on this Ministry of Health website) you will no longer be required to present a COVID-19 vaccination certificate.

Papers only to be shown in Spain by non-EU/Shengen entrants which would include if you flew from Belfast

Jesus Christ. Multiple postings o’clock evidence that the vaccine is as good as previous infection, which essentially is what vaccination is, mimicking previous infection, and all we have here is “the product is so bad”. People are getting reinfected as frequently following previous infection as following vaccination. Fact is though that vaccination and previous infection remain very good at preventing serious illness. And boosters and repeat infection “boost” that protection.

This piece that people are getting reinfected as frequently following previous infection as they are following vaccination is an utter rubbish. Total nonsense. Period.

I found two recent studies (June and July 2022) that have been done by the same team on a Qatari cohort and thus can serve as a good comparison imo. They compare the protection against covid provided by the mRNA vaccines with protection from reinfection provided by a natural infection.

First, the “Duration of mRNA vaccine protection against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 subvariants in Qatar” (published) Chemaitelly et al. concluded that effectiveness of a 2-dose Pfizer vaccine against symptomatic omicron BA.1 and [BA.2] is 46.6% and [51.7 %] in a period of 1-3 months, 8.8% and [12.4%] at 4-6 months, and -17.8% and [-12.1%] (negative!?) at 7 months and more after injection. A 3rd dose boosts the effectiveness up to 59.9% and [43.7%] in a first month after injection, but again this quickly wanes away. Moderna vaccine offers a similar level of protection with similar effectiveness patterns. Effectiveness against COVID-19 hospitalization and death was 70–80% after the second dose and >90% after the booster dose. The “mRNA vaccines provide only moderate and short-lived protection against symptomatic Omicron infections”, they concluded.

Second study, “Duration of immune protection of SARS-CoV-2 natural infection against reinfection in Qatar” (preprint) Chemaitelly et al., investigated protection provided by a natural infection for two scenarios:  pre-omicron primary infection against pre-omicron reinfection (i.e. delta-delta), and pre-omicron primary infection against Omicron reinfection (i.e. delta-omicron). With regard to the former the effectiveness peaked at 7 month at 90.5% post primary infection and remained > 70% by the 16 months mark. The authors suggest that effectiveness should still be at least 50% at 22 months. When it comes to the pre-omicron primary infection and its protection against Omicron reinfection, it was 38.1% at the start and declined to 10% at 15 months mark. “Effectiveness of primary infection against severe, critical, or fatal COVID-19 reinfection was 97.3%, irrespective of the variant of primary infection or reinfection, and with no evidence for waning”, they also concluded.

In addition to that the narrative that vaccines offer a great protection from long covid is coming to an end too. This article: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01453-0#ref-CR4  describes a study done on 4.5m people that discovered that the risk of long covid among hospitalised patients is 7% and lower for those who were not hospitalised. In addition to that vaccination against covid lowers the risk of long COVID after infection by only about 15% (study on more than 13 million people). So that makes the 7% risk drop to just under 6%. Make what you want from this.  

To conclude, to say that mRNA vaccines are bad is an understatement. And a very serious at that. The protection does not last longer than a quarter vs a natural immunity that lasts > 1 year. If the negative effectiveness is what I think it is (i.e. the vaccinated person is more likely to get infected than the unvaccinated), If left unboosted the risk of infection increases. That may explain why so many vaccinated who decided against the boosters are coming down with covid now as they are more likely to get infected than if they hadn’t taken any mRNA vaccines. Would more rounds of vaccine (boosters) mean greater vulnerability of an individual over long term and therefore a constant/permanent dependence on vaccine? Another conspiracy theory brewing up just there perhaps…?

Post edited by walus on

The science says you have up to 6 months immunity from reinfection but a lot of people caught COVID within a few weeks of their December booster

Hospital numbers are dropping again and they didn't go as high as they went in March or January. A sign that waves are getting less severe in my books and the need for restrictions on our lives are behind us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Unfortunately according to the WHO restrictions shouldn’t be behind us. They are urging Ireland to reintroduce them. They want masks to return, social distancing and interventions to reduce social mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks like Leo disagrees...

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said Ireland has passed the peak of a summer wave of Covid-19 infections as hospital numbers have started to fall once again.

Tweeting on Tuesday afternoon, the Fine Gael leader said the reduction in the number of people in hospital with the virus was "encouraging".

The latest data from the HSE showed there were 815 confirmed cases of Covid in hospital on Tuesday, a reduction of 88 since Monday.

Of the total figure, 35 Covid-positive patients were receiving treatment in Intensive Care Units (ICUs).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Listen I'm in Spain two weeks. That's bullsh't

The WHO are very against restrictions in my mind, while our government were pushing them for months on end last year they were saying they should only be used to add capacity to the hospital system and removed as fast as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes you are right and looking at the hospital graphs the hospitals peaked lower with each wave. Encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

1 in 5000 doses (not patients - it appears) of covid vaccine results in a severe reaction defined as:

• hospitalization
    • Life Threatening
    • Life Changing reaction

this doesn't include non-severe reactions.

those rates seems safe and effective and definitely worth the risk for those under 80 who took the jabs.

German Health Department today - cos I know people love a good "source"

https://twitter.com/BMG_Bund/status/1549688073478455297

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

As someone who had a severe reaction I most definitely don't agree that those rates are safe. They can keep their jabs !

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

sure don't be listening to them, we have the best medical minds of it all here

Remember the Antigen test fiasco

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

i was being sarcastic - sorry about your bad reaction .

hope you recovered.

They can keep their jabs indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

‘Definitely worth the risk’? I’d be interested to see the age profile of those with life changing reactions, because if that doesn’t match up with the age profile of those at risk from Covid then it is anything but ‘definite’.

Given that the premise of the vaccine stopping infection has turned out to be completely false, what exactly was the point of coercing so many healthy young people into taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Another poster that appears to have missed the sarcasm...for foxsake.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Advertisement