Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallout [Amazon]

• 19-02-2022 12:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

(Damned if I can find a previous thread with this new search; let me know if one was opened already...)

Based on the popular video game franchise, set in a post apocalyptic world, itself set in the aftermath of an alternative, almost satirical version of 1950s America is nuked into oblivion. The tone of the games is often deeply comedy angled; black humour mostly.

Walton Goggins is the first cast announcement, set to play a lead as a yet unnamed Ghoul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Walton Goggins makes this a must watch anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He's a very underappreciated actor, with excellent comedic chops so maybe that gives some indication they'll be angling this with a wink in its eye. Any Fallout show that hasn't got dark humour through its veins would be an immediate fail IMO

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another cast announcement; Ella Purnell to star in another undisclosed role; haven't watched Yellowjackets so no idea how good/bad an actor she is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

So I've heard, but it'll only go into the Giant Pile marked "things I heard I should watch that are good" lol 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

After Justified and The Shield I will give anything with Goggins a go. Didn't stick with the SEAL team thing he did but he's always watchable. Only played Fallout 4. Interesting to see where this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

You should check out Vice Principals so if you like him. Goggins and McBride play off each other well in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I tried it. Remember liking it but got distracted by something else as usual. Too much choice ! Will try it again.

Kyle MacLachlan had been cast, another undisclosed role. Could see him as a Vault Tec executive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,051 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Could easily be a crooked topside mayor too.

There is a fantastic amount of lore to work with so I really hope they don't go with too deep or focused a story arc. Someone playing around in the wasteland like a post apocalyptic Firefly would be amazing.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, basically anything sleazy is probably a good shout.

There's tonnes of lore to work with, and it'll be interesting to know if we'll visit somewhere visited like Washington, or somewhere new. Or indeed, if we'll leave a Fallout Shelter at all: it's not entirely crazy to think the series might set itself within the confines of a Vault-Tec shelter, Season 1 about trying to battle an Overseer and escaping to a Promised Land ... oops, it's a radioactive hell zone.

My main worry/concern/hope is that the humour is kept intact. The series has never been like Borderlands and drowning in meta snark... but there has been a dark comedic edge informing everything - especially visible in the alt-1950s American iconography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Looks like it's definitely keeping the 50s Americana anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

looks good , the set

Looks like we're spending time in Vault 32; the set looks absolutely spot-on, as does the Vault Boy themed iconography & design.

I would love to visit that set. It looks perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That looks spot on. Could be a good show if they get the balance right.

"So bongo, bongo, bongo I don't wanna leave the Congo, oh no no no no no

Bingle, bangle, bungle I'm so happy in the jungle, I refuse to go"

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Doesn't look like they've strayed from the art style at all, so you'd wanna think the soundtrack will be a collection of period appropriate tracks.

The set looks expensive, wouldn't be surprised if the show charts a plot inside the Vault, and outside.

Could either follow a few stories, have the Vault Dweller still using it as a base or do flash backs.

I suppose the set will also get redressed for visiting other vaults.

Usually this never goes well. Other vaults are cursed. Lol

Imagine ending up in Vault 11, 42 or 92!!

• Advertisement

I'd think it weird if they didn't use that old timey wimey music. I'm so used to it from Fallout 3 onwards.

That has to be a definite translation from the games; the whole point of Vault-Tec was their twisted purpose to make every Vault a science experiment, no matter how immoral that might have been. Lots of possibilities there for messed up storytelling.

More set pics, the detail is fantastic:

I'd happily watch a season of stand alone "Twilight Zone" episodes set in different vaults.

Although seeing the BoS armour in that photo was pretty amazing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hopefully they nail the aesthetics with the likes of the fauna too. No half-assing the Mirelurks and Deathclaws please!

Looking forward to see how they manage deathclaws.

I remember in New Vegas there was a quarry that had about a dozen Deathclaws (and an uber one too IIRC); I saw an abandoned crane in the middle so I scarpered over to it as fast as I could. Then managed to glitch my way up its collision mesh so I was sitting at the top (sliding around it like it was an ice rink; ahhhh wonky game engines).

Proceeded to just snipe away at the Deathclaws, happy and smug. Until I realised I hadn't packed nearly enough ammunition for the job, and proceeded to get smushed when I attempted to scarper.

Hopefully the high quality sets are an indication of high quality CGI. There does seem to be a shocking amount of bad CGI out there now though.

In celebration of the game's 25th anniversary, a first screenshot was dropped of this;

• Advertisement

Cute little video about the show, complete with a refreshing Nuka Cola. Didn't realise Jonathan Nolan had an American accent - that's weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

AFAIK Jonathan and Christopher Nolan are half-brothers, Jonathan growing up in Chicago.

Trying to temper the hype, bit that's looking incredibly faithful to the games. I really hope they nail the tone and story

Not going to get my hopes up as promo photos always look great.

However with the cast and the crew behind the scenes I kinda am getting my hopes up.

• Advertisement

If you want to temper expectations, just remember that Jonathan Nolan is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

It looks excellent but honestly the right photos from the Halo TV show would also make it look incredibly faithful, when in reality it was anything but underneath the surface, the characters, script, tone were all way off.

I do think Bethesda were quite involved with the Fallout adaptation though. The advantage as well is that Fallout as a franchise doesn't have iconic central characters in the way Halo does, so it's basically free to tell whatever story it likes and only the core world building elements have to be faithful.

Yup, think your 2nd paragraph nailed the critical part here: ther's no grand overarching story or set of important characters in the overall fallout universe; each game has tended to exist as its own self-contained story with almost little overlap. It probably helps that you have potentially hundreds of Vaults dotted across America, not to mention as many valid geographic locations (I doubt we'll ever see an official non-US fallout story). Apparently this show will be "canon" too, so it's not a case of a loose adaptation that can be disowned.

One criticism I've seen levelled at the Bethesda games and it's kinda true when I thought about it: their aesthetic for Fallout kinda made it look like humanity just forgot how to build things again. Fallout 1 & 2 had new settlements, and a degree of newness - new buildings and settlements; the towns in Fallout 3 & 4 looked like places even shanty-towns would call a bit ramshackle. So I hope the TV show doesn't go with this world of detritus and shows a degree of civilisation, however chaotic and barbarous it can be in these games. New Vegas was pretty good for that as well, though notably that wasn't Bethesda either

Hype intensifies... first trailer's here. Spotted a pre war Goggins, and damn the BoS suits look good

• Advertisement

Ok that has me wanting more.

Damn it, I'm in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh looks surprisingly faithful. And importantly there was a dash of humour in the trailer too, so it's not going to just be too moody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From the trailer this is set on the west coast, so we've got brotherhood of steel and maybe New Californian Republic. Compared to the east coast it's a little more developed.

Hopefully they don't make it too contemporary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Looks very good. Played three fallout games but I forget so much about the plot but always loved the setting and I think this trailer seems to have alot of the elements of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Trailer looks great. I really hope they nail a story. The beauty about fallout is that the universe doesn't have central characters so it should mean no baggage for the writers.

You forgot Ceasers Legion. Its crucifixion for you!!!

Presumably we'll see something new to the world, can't imagine they'll stick to the games that closely we won't see a new faction, or even a new power to rival the BoS.

Indeed I wonder will the BoS be portrayed as good or bad - cos while they're better than most factions, they're also not that great either. IIRC preferring to horse technology than try to apply some law or order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I do hope we get Preston Garvey in every episode telling us that another settlement needs our help 😂

Depends on the game version doesnt it?

Fallout 3 -felt they were good guys

Fallout 4 - purist as*holes with hint of genocide behaviouralisms.

Fallout 76 -not sure what they were meant to be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement