Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fallout [Amazon]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

AFAIK Jonathan and Christopher Nolan are half-brothers, Jonathan growing up in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trying to temper the hype, bit that's looking incredibly faithful to the games. I really hope they nail the tone and story

• Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not going to get my hopes up as promo photos always look great.

However with the cast and the crew behind the scenes I kinda am getting my hopes up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If you want to temper expectations, just remember that Jonathan Nolan is involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

It looks excellent but honestly the right photos from the Halo TV show would also make it look incredibly faithful, when in reality it was anything but underneath the surface, the characters, script, tone were all way off.

I do think Bethesda were quite involved with the Fallout adaptation though. The advantage as well is that Fallout as a franchise doesn't have iconic central characters in the way Halo does, so it's basically free to tell whatever story it likes and only the core world building elements have to be faithful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, think your 2nd paragraph nailed the critical part here: ther's no grand overarching story or set of important characters in the overall fallout universe; each game has tended to exist as its own self-contained story with almost little overlap. It probably helps that you have potentially hundreds of Vaults dotted across America, not to mention as many valid geographic locations (I doubt we'll ever see an official non-US fallout story). Apparently this show will be "canon" too, so it's not a case of a loose adaptation that can be disowned.

One criticism I've seen levelled at the Bethesda games and it's kinda true when I thought about it: their aesthetic for Fallout kinda made it look like humanity just forgot how to build things again. Fallout 1 & 2 had new settlements, and a degree of newness - new buildings and settlements; the towns in Fallout 3 & 4 looked like places even shanty-towns would call a bit ramshackle. So I hope the TV show doesn't go with this world of detritus and shows a degree of civilisation, however chaotic and barbarous it can be in these games. New Vegas was pretty good for that as well, though notably that wasn't Bethesda either

Hype intensifies... first trailer's here. Spotted a pre war Goggins, and damn the BoS suits look good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,282 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok that has me wanting more.

Damn it, I'm in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Oh looks surprisingly faithful. And importantly there was a dash of humour in the trailer too, so it's not going to just be too moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

From the trailer this is set on the west coast, so we've got brotherhood of steel and maybe New Californian Republic. Compared to the east coast it's a little more developed.

Hopefully they don't make it too contemporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Looks very good. Played three fallout games but I forget so much about the plot but always loved the setting and I think this trailer seems to have alot of the elements of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Trailer looks great. I really hope they nail a story. The beauty about fallout is that the universe doesn't have central characters so it should mean no baggage for the writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

You forgot Ceasers Legion. Its crucifixion for you!!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Presumably we'll see something new to the world, can't imagine they'll stick to the games that closely we won't see a new faction, or even a new power to rival the BoS.

Indeed I wonder will the BoS be portrayed as good or bad - cos while they're better than most factions, they're also not that great either. IIRC preferring to horse technology than try to apply some law or order.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I do hope we get Preston Garvey in every episode telling us that another settlement needs our help 😂

Depends on the game version doesnt it?

Fallout 3 -felt they were good guys

Fallout 4 - purist as*holes with hint of genocide behaviouralisms.

Fallout 76 -not sure what they were meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,353 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Turning the show into a post nuclear Lassie.

My only worry with this and every new show is it ends up being those moody teen "Arrowverse" or "CW" shows like Lord of the Rings and Star Trek became.

Geiger counter is quiet so far though so hopefully no danger ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The inside of the vault's atrium looks right, it could have been taken from any of the games.

Seen there's free Vault 33 jumpsuit for Fallout 76 for the next day or 2.

Never got around to number 4; sounds about right though for them. The trailer seems to indicate they're a powerful force so perhaps the show will take the view of a potentially oppressive power in the fact of independent settlements trying to make do.

I can't recall: did the New Californian Republic clash with the Brotherhood?

Yeah they had a war resulting in a clear NCR victory and forced the BOS to go into hiding on the West Coast.

BOS regroup in the Eastern Coast with Pentagon ruins becoming HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

One of the Silicon Valley writers on this, which is good but the tomb raider movie writer too which is meh.

FInally, a full trailer; this looks both faithful to the games while also a potentially good piece of television

Good move not messing with the look of the look of the game. No need to be messing with the look of things like stimpacks or Mr. Handys when there is no need to.

I reckon Purnell will be able to pull of the constant switches from serious to silly too.

Really looking forward to this.

Was that Matt Berry voicing the Mr Handy?

• Advertisement

Sounds a bit like him alright.

Wouldn't be surprised though if that's the same voice actor as the games.

Advertisement