Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent article on how important small landlords are and how screwing them over hasn't worked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The institutions can, in theory, be controlled easier from a political standpoint. None of them are big enough to really make a difference on their own. If the government brings in a law which negatively affects them, well there are no votes lost. The company might lobby but they will have to adapt and deal with it or sell up. Regulations change all the time in most industries. Businesses just adapt.

Not everyone wants to buy of course. It suits some people to rent. But I am sure you know of plenty of people who are paying rent who want to buy. There are a huge cohort out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

I'd have a problem with that particular theory....the institutional tail will wag the dog imo....they'll run rings round them and prices will be ratcheted as far as they can be

The market was a hell of a lot better off with a cohort of private landlords........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,375 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Government has change the rules regarding renting while in a nursing home to encourage people to rent them. Again you have not got a clue and are waffling.

All you are is a waffler

Slava Ukrainii

Do not be getting upset Warren. Analysts like you are why people like me are retired at before sixty

Slava Ukrainii

Actually Bass, no need for the aggression, or calling someone else a waffler when you are wrong. The rules have not been changed.

That proposed amendment is still at Bill stage. You can follow its progress here:

It went to the Seanad, was referred back to the Dail and is currently still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Like I said upthread, some small LL's are obsessed with being seen as "life's winners" even as they're being driven out of business.

This lad is gloating he'll be retired at sixty but in his last post admitted he couldn't rent out his holiday home like he had planned to.

If you're being thwarted and outplayed by other interest groups and competitors - such as NGOs and institutional money - is throwing on a pair of shades and calling yourself a champ a mature response?

The other players in the game have aggressive advocacy organisations and ties to politicians.

But at least some people are moving their capital because they've been shunted out of the market.

Well Warren if you think that the it then grand. Rents will continue to rise. Supply will shrink. Property owners will find ways to avoid vacancy tax and house prices will rise. And Wafflers like you and DT will blame the few small LL left around while corporate LL will keep rising rents and if there returns shrink they will stop financing apartment builds. When that happens there will be no apartment's build for 2-3 years until a new finance method is put in place

In rural and smaller urban Ireland there will be less and less rentals a available. On average every rental leaving the market means a lower occupancy rate.

I spend about 10 years renting as an apprentice and and when I started working. 5-6 of us in three bedroom houses. Occupancy rates are dropping all the time.

But it grand there is no problem. Economic geniuses like you and DT have it all figured

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno what do you have you're not "currently" using. Spare rooms... Surplus cash.

Well Bass. Given that you again call me a waffler, let me remind me that you said I was a waffler and that I had no clue and tried to contradict me based on something which I have shown is 100% correct.

Tip of the day: If you want to get aggressive and try to claim others don't have a clue, do it on a point where you know you are correct. Don't do it on a point where you are wrong.

• Advertisement

@Bass Reeves 'And Wafflers like you and DT will blame the few small LL left around while corporate LL will keep rising rents and if there returns shrink they will stop financing apartment builds.'

I've mainly criticised political passivity of small LLs. Apart from that I haven't blamed small LLs for anything. I'm convinced that aggressive collective action and advocacy is needed for like-minded groups of small businessmen to prosper. (e.g. Vintners Association)

There should be a small-LL representative on prime time TV debating Richard Void-Barret, calling him a liar and a waffler, as just one example of something that isn't happening but should be.

I don't favour corporate LLs. But corporate LLs play the game of exerting influence, they aren't posting on discussion web sites saying 'the chickens have come home to roost'

But you are waffling you make out there is no problem with the shrinkage in rental problems. There is real concern in government and elsewhere about. 2.5-3 k leaving every year and it's not slowing down.

The answer is to give these LL's more excuses to leave. O e glare statics is that over 85% have positive tenant experience but 26% I tent to leave this year.

They are racing out the gate rents have never been as strong so obviously economic geniuses like you and grow leaves consider there bis no issues just whinging

Like I said Wafflers

Slava Ukrainii

I've no idea what this means. People are leaving for many reasons but 'shunted'...

'They are racing out the gate rents have never been as strong so obviously economic geniuses like you and grow leaves consider there bis no issues just whinging'

It looks like you haven't read my posts carefully or at all.

Most of the whinging appears to come from the "small landlords" Bass. Fairly consistently across this forum. I mean, this thread is about them being "screwed over". The poor divils.

One of the main drivers for the decrease in rental properties, particularly around the city centres, is due to short term rentals such as airbnb or booking.com. Predominantly "small landlords".

If I were a small landlord who wasn't able to manage the risks, I'd be leaving too. Prices are high and there are fears of a bursting bubble. Many such people are 100% mortgagees from the mid-2000's who were genuises until 2008 or 2009. Then spent the next few years feeling sorry for themselves and having to be bailed out or have legislation or policies implemented to protect them. Now prices are back up again and they can be geniuses again. Some might remember 2008 though and want to jump ship now.

I mean that some LLs would have preferred to continue on as LLs drawing rental income but felt they were being hit with too many legislative disadvantages, so they exited the market reluctantly because they were pushed out essentially. I know that wasn't the case with all LLs but surely it was with some.

'If I were a small landlord who wasn't able to manage the risks, I'd be leaving too.'

But the risks have been exacerbated by legislation so its not an organic process.

You are waffling again. The legislation has been changed. A lot of these AerBnB are PPR's where the owner is either starting a relationship or working abroad in a temporary capacity. However most LL would prefer to rent out rather than the hassle of aerBnB But even with the changes in legislation and the 100 day rule LL still prefer to take the reduction in income than have them as a normal rental.

So you are just Waffling it all waffle.

Like I said there there obviously no problem 2.5-3k are racing out the gate every year. 20k reduction in tenancies since 2016 even with all the rentals Reits bought onto the market

There no problem

Like I said you are waffling

Slava Ukrainii

Listen Bass. Stop it and don't be embarrassing yourself. You already accused me of waffling because I told you that under the Fair Deal Scheme a person has most of their rental income taken away. It had changed you said. I didn't have a clue you said. I gave you the link to the Bill. Proof that I was correct. It hasn't changed. You were wrong. While I would prefer to let it pass, you keep attacking me. So I'll keep reminding you.

All you have is your own emotional waffle, with no references. Don't be projecting what you know you are doing yourself onto others. Now you are professing to know what "most LL" would prefer. Did you get voted onto the position of spokesperson? Can you post us a link to the facts backing up your assertions or are you pulling them out of your arse?

As you know, many properties on these short term sites are not registered. Here are some references for you. Not emotive facts pulled out of my arse.

One advantage of having proper professional in charge, for example REITS is that they have to comply with legislation or else they will be caught. The chancer will put the 12 bunk beds into the 3-bed house. The chancer will list their single property on airbnb without registering or having permission - even if needed.

Well they've certainly brought professional rent rises and price controls to the market.

• Advertisement

I think it quite something to make a lucrative market repugnant to the people who can supply the thing you've a critical need for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭amacca

Exactly

And then discuss the taxation and wonder how to make it more attractive to landlords while trying to extend the duration of tenancies in a setup where you will probably be left with no income to income to tax and no way to get a problem tenant to leave...if they would **** off and let the market operate without their retarded meddling more properties would come on the market and rents would come down....this crisis has been worsened by everything our politicians have done....I can't tell if its incompetence or corruption.

Welcome to clown world where up is down and pouring petrol on a fire is a way to put it out.

Your are waffling again about extremes in the market. It a waffle waffle waffle. The quite simple statistic is that in the last 6 year we have 20k less tenancies even after the supply bought in by Reits.

I presumed that nearly six months after they announced it the government had changed regulation or legislation to I crease supply. Not that it will work anyway.

They can rush legislation that penalises small LL's but cannot help with supply. You are waffling that every thing is ok there is no problem with LL's selling up and moving away from the market and rents sky high.

The market is in flux and like our politicians you waffle on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How many years have landlords been complaining now and yet they're still in the market? Why haven't you sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭The Student

They are and more are continuing to do so. But sure the properties don't disappear right! Oh I forgot every single rental property sold still has the same number of people living in them that they had when they were rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thousands have, leave it to the investment funds I say, they do it the professional way.

Oh how thoughtful the landlords are!!!!

Let's praise the landlords who put 2 bunk beds in a room and have 4 adults squeezed into a tiny room. Let's praise the landlord putting a mattress into the living room, after all, the only thing that matters is the number of people in the house. 🙄

Quit playing the poor mouth. You're raking it in and you've seen a 15% rise in capital gain in the last year ALONE.

Go onto the Irish property investors facebook page and any ad where a property is being sold there's 10+ people interested in buying.

How many landlords have entered the market???

Incorrect. Occupancy rates of rented houses is 50% higher than owner occupied. In general single people renting will have a person in every room. People renting because rent is expensive will match numbers to there housing need.

You get a lit of single and couples buying 3 or four bed houses or even larger. Occupancy is way lower in owner occupied to rental properties

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Recent RTB and BTL data indicate there are very few. A couple of weeks ago a prominent chain of EAs said that 30% of all houses for sale are LLs selling up, there was no mention of anyone buying to invest.

Facebook is an important, and extremely accurate indicator of property investment, based on the numbers who click their interest in an ad. Of course none of those could be people interested in buying to occupy. Glad you shared that insight with us, it is important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement