Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

organic farming

Options

Comments

On No.3, cattle goats suit a lot of places as they won't wreck the ground and often can be out wintered, horses for courses, if ya don't spend it you don't have to be worrying about making it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I probably will eventually, got an off farm day job atm but hope to be winding down from that in the coming years so can devote more time and energy to the place. Currently in Erris(North Mayo) there are a number of EIP schemes being rolled out on Machair Grassland, Corncrakes, Yellow Bumble bee etc. so busy doing the paper work on them and planning those measures atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It might be but that dose not necessarily mean there is much chance for extra margin for the farmer.

The biggest issue with finishing cattle is to get a fat cover on them. It can be much harder to get cover on Continental cattle. Grass fed beef is where the profit is for the smaller farmer.

All the processor's show nice glossy pictures with cattle at grass. There will probably be a grass fed cattle scheme with 2-3 years

Organic payment is about 3.4 k after conversion. It's not going to make a Suckler farm any more profitable IMO. What ever you gain on the swings you will lose on the rounds.

While organics might get you another 5ish years at suckler's it's a one way road on profitability.

I think it all depends on your land. If you have marginal or hill land ya sucklers or sheep may be your only answer. As well you may have the land area to have a decent organic payment( 70HA by 170 euro) 11.9k and the ability to draw a maximum GLAS/ REAP payment.

However if you have fairly decent land and average acerage bany drystock to beef system will probably beat the pants off the 3-4 k organics payment.

A lad running a 20-25 unit calf to beef system on 50ish acres is capable of making a 1k/ unit margin at present.

Slava Ukrainii

I finish a good amount of cattle every year and in my experience:

Angus and Hereford cattle can be finished off grass, I take your point that there are poor examples of Angus and Hereford cattle but decent quality Angus or Hereford can get away off grass. You’d be keeping limo or charlaois longer.

A freisian or continental bullock would need 5 kg * 49 days to get away. That’s a quarter ton of meal.

I have to disagree with you on carbon. If you get your Angus or Hereford at 24 months v a freisian at 30 months or continental at 27 months then it’s easy to see which are producing more emissions.

Continentals also have a 5 day longer gestation, more inefficient.

I don’t know about feeding ad lib meal to poor cattle in feed lots, I think it’s a mugs game. I have seen cattle pounding through meal in sheds and all you can smell is meal. No way is that natural, produce quality meat or good for the environment. They would be better off at grass with a handy amount of meal.

Taste wise I would go for Hereford, Dexter or Angus over continentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

All the figures from ICBF tell a completely different story. According to them the top feed converters are Continentals, not 1 traditional native breed animal in the top 250 breeding bulls. Which explains why a Huge amount of continentals are finished at 18-22 months.

Taste is subjective but the big super market chains like the Tescos and Dunnes are selling meat from mainly O grade cattle which are WH X FR or AA X FR or holsteins an FR cattle. It's not great tasting at times and can be very tough.

Compare that to the meat from the local Butchers who use 24-30 month heifer beef from continental stock

• Advertisement

They might be finishing continentals at under 24 months but on the back of a rake of meal. I’d say a lot of them are either bulls or heifers.

The icbf figures can be taken with a pinch of salt. Most suckler farmers use continental bulls so no surprises there.

Its been said above by Bass that you need meal to get fat cover on continentals.

I would agree with you on taste of butcher quality produce versus a supermarket.

Rubbish. HO beef has win blind tasting competitions often. Marbled beef( AA and HE) is where the market is at present.

AA and HE dairy cross cattle are capable of being finished off grass at 18-20 months.

Yes some Continental breed cattle are more efficient converters than traditional breeds. However they need to be carried to higher weights to get fat cover. This can mean longer winter feeding periods.

You have other factor's as well. A dairy or dairyXbeef cross animal is a byproduct of the dairy system. They are starting to come in at minimal cost.

Efficiency is fairly immaterial in a grass based system. It's all about cost. A Friesian bull calf has a cost of on average 50 euro@ 20 days, a HE about 230-270 and an AA about 180-220 euro.

A continental calf has a cost associated with his mother. He is costing 500 at birth. To finish at 22-24 months he will eat over a ton of ration costing over 400 euro at present. Take these two costs out of a continental bullock and the economics are not in it

The reason most butchers will not kill Fr bullocks is the carcases are too heavy. Only in suckker area will butchers kill continental heifers, most will still kill AA and HE heifers in preference. If they kl a Continental heifer they want her around 250-280 kgs DW. That heifer has died in debt.

I have eaten beef out of most supermarkets. Any of the 28 day matured beef is grand. I think all LIDL and ALDI beef is that way now. Any of the AA or HE branded beef I have eaten has been perfect.

I have a problem with a local SuperValu. There beef is as tough as leather as is there pork. It mainly down to that I think they are not hanging there beef long enough. I think there pork is similar. While pork need not be hung for the length of time beef is it's needs to be hung for a week+

Slava Ukrainii

You are talking rubbish now.

Marbled beef is not where the Market is. Just look at the meat on all the shelves in every Supermarket here, and it's the same in the UK our biggest market. It's all lean beef no marbling to say any different is just not true. Only the prime cuts are 28 day matured in Aldi not lidl and it not always available in Tesco, It's a fine prime price too, you'd get better value in the local Butchers if you used them.

AA and HE dairy cross cattle are not capable of being finished off grass at 18-20 months. Dairy cross are hard grained animals with the worst trait of dairy. Any HE, AA or FR from dairy we ever kept had to go to nearly 3 years to be finished on Grass. To get them finished before the 30 months means feeding heaps of meal not grass.

Efficiency is fairly immaterial in a grass based system?? oh cripes what next

Very few Butchers use AA or HE, none that I know of. Even those that just buy the carcases from the abattoirs don't want the HE or AA for the simple reason the amount of fat they have to cut is huge compared to Continental beef, many of the Brisket cuts from these are often not saleable and have to go to burger meat. Customers don't want to see streaks of White fat going straight through the meat either.

I have a gripe with the Organic society the way they try to portray conventional Irish beef as inferior, tastes bad and it's production as inefficient. Again this is not the case, most Irish beef farmers are only a Bag of 18-6-12 away from being organic grass based system as it is. Much of the research and data gathering by Teagasc and ICBF over the years is valid, not based on wishy washy taste test and subjective ideas

Its a lot easier to book in Angus cattle at the factory than continentals.

There is a demand for marbled meat as people like the flavour from fat.

I think teagasc operate in a different world to most beef farmers. There test farms advocate significant use of meal and fertiliser and also have 3 or 4 employees working round the clock calving cows and feeding etc

Yes because AA and HE dairy cross cattle are used to supply the Big Supermarket chains in the UK. The meat is good enough after 14 days hanging so it's a quick turnaround for Larry. But not what I call nice tasting or prime, it's the Tesco type stuff and not really the market Organics is chasing at the moment.

Yes there is some demand for Marbled Beef but I was replying to yur-ones brash statement that marbled beef is where the market is. That simply is not the case.

Teagasc and there farms are for research and yes in the past they advocated meal and fertilizer when both could be got for sub €300 / €400 a ton.

• Advertisement

Marbled beef is where it is. AA and HE branded beef is selling at a premium to other beef. At marts at present AA finished cattle are selling at a price/ kg more than other cattle. As well they kill out less.

Yes it is there prime cuts that are longer matured. That is because these are cooked faster. As I pointed out rib eye is nearly similarly priced to fillet at present because of the marbling.

Attached is 32 day matured Tesco beef and 30 day Lidl beef. Look at the marbling on the Tesco fillet steak.

Butchers are being priced out of the AA and HE market. Farmers want to carry them to higher weight that the 220-280 kg DW they require. But they have a history of this. 5-7 years ago a butchers abbatoirs around large urban area were buying a lot of the under finished U16 month Friesian bulls.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I hate tesco but I'm drooling now👩‍🌾

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

When I say efficiency is immaterial I mean the efficiency of the animal. In a grass based system two thing matter the ability of the animal to gain weight and to achieve fat score off it. There is a reason why processor's have FSing and penalties for above and below it. Processor's have continually stated that the market preferable is for O+/R - grading cattle with a FS of 3. After that they ate as happy to go down in grading as up

Below are four pictures of bullocks. The first is an HE hair slightly wrong. Bought last year at 380 kgs for 700 euro. He gaining weight but not rapidly but is not gaining FS. However he will as you go out into August.

Next is an LM Suckler bullock gaining weight but will struggle with FS it will take plenty of grass and 4 kgs/ day over 10-12 weeks to get FS onto him.

The last two are Fr bullocks one is at 3- FS with no ration

In the next lphoto you will see four Friesian bullocks that wete bought last summer autumn. They are on ration ( a maize/ oatfeed mix) for the last three weeks. They are FS 3-/=. They are about 620-660kgs fresh weight.

All these cattle are on grass since early/mid March. They were all bought online. They all were grassed last Autumn and got silage only over the winter. The Friesians gain more weight and fatten faster that most other cattle.

So when I said most of what you said was rubbish regarding and dairy cross cattle I was correct. Like many suckker farmers you equate the ability of cattle to convert feed as important. You have a total missunderstanding of the beef market and what is profitable.

There is a link here to early finishing of AA and HE cross cattle at 18-22 months

Slava Ukrainii

These are from the Tesco finest range, and that is only a very small amount of the Beef that they sell and very often is not stocked. They usually alter between Steaks one week to Roasting joints the next but hardly ever all together. 90% of the meat sold is standard 14 day stuff, lean with no fat. Besides, that Angus certification means jack, they are still heavily grain fed from feedlots. I'd hardly be holding Liffey meats on a pedestal.

And for the third time, the local Irish Butcher is using 24-30 month heifer beef from Continental type cattle not that dairy cross AA shite that ye fail to mention has the worst 4th quarter to sell. And its the 4th quarter that can make a difference to the bottom line of the farmer and Butcher.

At this stage I feel like I'm talking to the Village Queer who says he dresses up as a Woman because he likes them.

Drool some more the other half picked 3-4 of these up reduced they still cost 12-15 euro. Absolutely beautiful.

Slava Ukrainii

As I have told you butchers are unwilling to pay the premium for AA and HE cattle at present. These are making in the region of 6/kg DW in the marts. 550kg LW cattle making 1700+. There is more of a margin in buying an underfinished 2=/+ continental heifer 500-525kgs for 14-1600euro.

But which beef farmer is making more money. The lad with the AA heifer bought for 100-180euro or the Suckler farmer producing that heifer

The vast bulk of the AA and HE prime beef cuts are going into the premium specially selected/delux brands of supermarkets

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭rounders

My two cents, we've been selling direct to two butchers for the last 12 to 14 years. Neither wanted anything other than AA or white heads.

They are all off a dairy herd. Both say the carcasses of continental breeds are too big for them to handle easily in their abattoir and the cuts too big for the consumer demand here. E.g. more demand for smaller steaks than big big T bones from Continental breeds.

Anyway, we're probably off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I've never had a White head bullock or Polly stick around for 36 months.

Readily gone by 30 months and fit and very heavy at that.

I've killed aax heifers and whx heifers off grass at 21 months and the carcass was where I wanted it, though no doubt would have benefited from the ration but I was still pleased.

But in some ways it isn’t off topic. Like I think those breeds are perfect for organic for the very reasons you have outlined there.

You have to book in organic cattle 6 months ahead. Another reason to lean towards these breeds as you’d have a better idea when they’d be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

SuperValu have the worst cuts of meat I've come across in Ireland. Last steak I got, half if it was inedible chunks of fat. It's more than just aging, they are buying scrap cuts that would be rejected by other supermarkets.

• Advertisement

Off topic but, local Supervalu have staff on zero hour contracts, they installed self service checkouts which people didn't use initially, so they put the most incompetent staff onto the tills. In short, I like to see how companies treat their staff & customers as one indicator to other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Getting back to the organic scheme, has anyone gotten their balancing payment for organics yet? Came in around this time last year I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭JohnChadwick

No waiting on it. Thought it'd be May. Prob ring them next week if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭lalababa

Look up buildings in agriland.ie ...you'll get a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Nothing as of yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

…1

Problem is a lot of them have bells and whistles. While sheds are expensive at present it's gets crazy when you put in a lot of stuff that is not really necessary. All these cost money, things like locking barriers, gates between pens, drafting area's, doors in and out of sheds, thicker sheeting, vented sheeting.

Something's are worth getting but they all come at a cost.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Farmer changed from organic to conventional dairy.

Not much on the why in this article beyond the opportunity to expand but some interesting points re clover

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/lessons-from-a-successful-clover-farmer-707105?fs=e&s=cl

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Would many organic lads have rubber mats on slats to cut down on straw bedding altogether? I'm not sure of straw prices this year but it might make financial sense to just use straw for calfing and rubber mats for the rest of the housing season? Obviously assuming the animal has enough space from slats. Are they very expensive to install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Even if you have rubber mats on slats you still need dry lye back bedded area for cows

Advertisement