Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

out of interest who do you think will profit most from the current uk horizon waterloo. is there a country in eu that profits the most or does it move evenly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't drive and I have the expat's mindset that moving home is admitting failure. I've a decent job in the UK and so far the only adverse Brexit-effect I've encountered is a more expensive weekly shop.

We'll see. I'm hopeful that we might get a government connected to reality here some time soon.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Whichever EU-based scientific projects next-in-line (-applying for H grants) are most deserving.

Allocation is not country-biased, it is project team’s skillset- and project’s outcomes-biased, according to compatibility with EU R&D objectives.

Besides, team members in any given EU research team are frequently well-distributed across the EU member states, these days. What with EU-driven FoM, qualification recognition, data regulations, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Brandon Lewis gone now too. How much longer can Johnson brass-neck this out?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I assume the NIP is safe now with today's news. The imminent "next week next week" nonsense is surely on hold at least.

DUP will again be forgotten about across the water now that they have real things to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Peppa is bacon!!

Announcement due from downing Street this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Actually, I expect more of the same tactics from the next tory brexit pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well yes but a big question is can they continue to force through Boris' old measures when he was such a failure.

They will likely have to start from scratch with their own protocol busting bill. Given that this won't even start till they are elected, found their feet, gotten some important stuff done it would be quite some time before it gets to a vote.

Similar tactics in the future but once again waiting for the UK to collapse has come up trumps for the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,303 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

As someone involved in the meat industry.

The highest quality and standards in Western Europe would be us by a large margin,then Britain, then Germany back a bit, the rest have a deliberate lax approach to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He isn't bacon at all - yet. He says he wants to stay on till September, so he limps on. He's not gone till he's gone. And how much damage can he do in the meantime? Whatever happened to gardening leave?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not too worried. Parliament breaks up for much of the time he has remaining. I'd say there'll be handouts, peerages and the like. Not much else.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

thanks

but if i have a quick look at the table of countries receiving funds which was posted on this page a few posts up countries such as luxemburg finland netherlands seem to punch way above their weight

while countries like poland and italy and rumania punch way bellow their weight

for instance italy has 3 times the amount of people than the netherlands but in terms of received funding they are within 7 percent of each other so.

so while it might well be distributed with a lot of staff working internationally. from a job and tax point of view it would appear that luxemburg netherlands and finland might profit the most.as they seem to have strong programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

That’s as may be, and you can take it as an indication of each country’s academic prowess, capacity to host teams (in part or whole) and to administer/‘sell’ projects.

As said, attribution is not based on a (specific) country nor its size, whether in population or GDP.

You can have a large country with relatively low academic potential (say, Italy or Poland) and a tiny country with exceptional academic potential (say, Luxembourg or the Netherlands), whereby the tiny country gets more grants.

Poland is a bit of an outlier in there, they are increasingly facing ‘soft’ sanctions due to their ongoing populist-driven constitutional spat with the jurisdiction of the CJEU. Which may go some way to explain the low attribution in recent times.

That said, I work with the University of Luxembourg and regularly interface with a tech transfer person there, who joined them from Poland not so long ago - and whose evidence, all anecdotal that it is, matches your observation and my present reply (Poland is large and has decent academia, but they’re not great with modern/current research topics, transnational coordination and grant application-making).

So LU, NL and FI get more grants.

So IT, PL and RO have their work cut out: manage academia better to enhance their competitiveness relative to LU, NL and FI.

No such thing as a free lunch.

There's always going to be some degree of inequality and a lot of the best universities in Europe are concentrated in places like Germany, the low countries and the UK.

Having spent the best part of a decade in biological research, I've noted a flood of Italians here along with Poles in cancer and immunological research which is where I work. I think the English language is a huge draw as well but those two nationalities are significant demographics in scientific research here IME. I've seen positions in places like the Rhineland-Palatinate demanding English but sadly also German in many instances.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭yagan

I wouldn't let the requirement to have German put you off applying as I know people who applied for posts with such conditions only to get the job and find themselves in an international team where English is the common medium. I've know people attempt to improve what German they have but colleagues prefer not to have to teach German as well as meet deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭dublin49

could it be the head of the snake has been chopped off with Boris getting his cards and a more grown up approach might evolve with time.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭yagan

Just ensure that you highlight you EU citizenship in your introduction. I was working with an engineering firm around the time of the brexit vote and for the month after they got a flurry of CVs from brits but they just got ignored as the nature of the business meant long term planning and engagement for pan EU tenders. The ones that prefaced their CVs with also having another EU citizenship got replies.

Thanks Y. I've my Irish nationality mentioned specifically at the top. That's a good tip.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I would not be hopeful going on past trends. The Tory PMs have just gotten progressively worse and more extreme as regards stuff that matters to us here in this country like their antipathy towards the EU, disregard or contempt for Ireland etc.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,427 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Most of the candidates are going to be cut from the same cloth as Johnson, this isn't going to result in some seismic u-turn in tory policy. The real worry is you get someone who holds the same goals and beliefs as Johnson, but doesn't have the baggage / incompetence / controversy around them that has held Johnson back from getting too far with anything.

You have to remember that it is scandal bringing Johnson down rather than an aversion to his politics, and this will be reflected in the leadership contest.

The one outlier I think is Sunak, who I believe has been the one trying to reign in some of the cabinet on the NIP issue out of the fear of economic consequences should they piss off the EU.

Johnson didn't have beliefs. He was only using the NIP to distract from his scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,110 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just as an aside, I heard the theory today that the reason Johnson wants to hang on is because he has Chequers booked for the wedding party that he couldn't have during Covid (because of course you couldn't have parties during covid). (On Phil Moorehouse's A Different Bias)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Watched QT ( From Barnsley) and, with a couple of exceptions, the panel (which included a Labour MP) and the audience were of the opinion that Britain should ‘ get on with Brexit’ and that it had been voted on.

What did slightly surprise me though was that British musicians could tour pretty much freely in Europe despite leaving (Roger Daltry was actually mentioned as one)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

@joeysoap wrote What did slightly surprise me though was that British musicians could tour pretty much freely in Europe despite leaving (Roger Daltry was actually mentioned as one)

That seems at odds with what the UK musicians union are saying. And Roger Daltry has signed a letter from many musicians complaining about the situation ( interesting that Daltry is a Brexiteer and earlier had argued that Brexit would have no affect on UK musicians )

They certainly need a work permit for Spain and Germany. In fact I think that , without an EU agreement, UK musicians are subject to each countries separate legal requirements for non EU workers. Some countries require permits and some don't.

It's the massive team behind the acts that are really suffering. UK based production companies are gonna lose out on a lot of work because the promotor will just hire an EU based company rather than take them across the channel.

Mr.Daltry will have no problem and his mansions and fancy cars will survive Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Portugal was mentioned as one of the countries where no ‘ agreement’ had yet been implemented.

Roger Dalty was mentioned because he was a brixeteer and was currently touring in Europe. The context was ‘we can have Brexit and still negotiate a deal’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Maybe he doesn't have beliefs or a strong ideology, but at every stage of this process (Brexit and aftermath) he eventually went with what harder line elements of the party desired.

I just don't see this changing with a new leader.

How can it if most of the MPs and the ordinary membership approve of a policy of forever warfare with the EU/shítting on Ireland & NI from a great height if need be to further that struggle? Those hoping these policies will change could be disappointed.

Conservatives are fed up with Boris Johnson now perhaps, not the policies I expect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They could tour freely if they have others doing the paperwork. Lots of things like having to use trucks and truckers and roadies that are allowed to make trips between the UK and EU and within the EU. Big acts can hire people to get that sorted, which is what they do in the rest of the world anyway.

For smaller acts it's gotcha after gotcha. IIRC UK bands can freely tour Lichtenstein, but can't get there without going through the EU so it's complicated.

Amazon.co.uk still sell here because they can handle the overheads. I just don't bother with smaller UK sites anymore. I wanted to buy something on ebay for £22 , seller had an option to ship via ebay who wanted import charges and postage of more than £22. We aren't a huge market for the UK but it used to be easy for them to sell here and elsewhere in the EU. That's gone until if they rejoin the customs union.

• Advertisement

It's a little thing in the grander scheme but English craft beer has disappeared from Irish shelves. Given it's already limited market losing the adult drinking population of 7m people is a big deal.

Advertisement