Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Who will mark Gillane and Flanagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I'd imagine Lawlor on Gillane anyway, possibly Butler on Flanagan. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of Lynch and Casey starting the final for Limerick, interesting to see how they would fit Lynch in after Hayes going well 11 today, Hayes wasn't playing as well in the FF line to me he's a middle third man every day of the week, I'd be surprised to see Mulcahy keep his place for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

id go tommy walsh on flanagan and lawlor on aaron, walsh has serious reading of the game in my opinion and just going by the munster final where flanagan destroyed hayes i think it was down to who was in front and timing is everything

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Flanagan did well on Hayes in tbe munster final. Hayes won 3 frees, all scored. I dont think the full forward line suits Hayes at all. He doesn't have that instant control like a Gillane but he's the best athlete in the GAA, he needs to be running at guys. I can't see him going back in the full forward line. Lynch will come in allright at 11 and Hayes midfield or vice versa. Humdinger of a match coming up.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Great win on Saturday. Our best performance for a number of years and much more variation to our game. I thought Mullen was superb throughout. He was available as an exit for the backs on numerous occasions and took his scores really well. Lawlor was also magnificent. Limerick will be ready for a war and will not fear the physicality we will bring. Congratulations to the mgmt and panel on reaching the final. Limerick will rightly be favourites but I am feeling more positive then I have all year about this KK team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Thoroughly agree. We've finally adapted to smarter hurling and the players are clearly happier for it, playing with confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Depends on who else starts.

I could see lynch (if fit, cos he wasn't fit yesterday) start corner forward instead of mulcahy in that free roaming role and butler might be needed to mark him.

If not I'd go butler on gillane and lawlor on Flanagan and walsh on mulcahy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭blackcard

It was interesting to hear Adrian Mullen say that they had been working on composure coming out of defence in the last 4 weeks. Cody said that they had been working on creating a settled spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

They had 4 weeks..I'm sure they could work on a number of things..most 12 year olds work on 9 subjects a day in school .. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭kentu

Can't wait for the final....Its going to be some occasion you'd feel, Limerick will enter game as hot favourites I imagine when going for 3 in a row.

Everything will have to go spot on for us and some players will have to have the game of their lives, Hard to see any changes happening either for us, Mossy Keoghan might be under some pressure alight but he's a great knack of getting goals so for that reason alone I think he should start.

Adrian Mullen has really come into his own now and playing hurling of his life but Limerick will be out to get him like a pack of dogs. Likewise TJ and E Cody will be closely monitored.

Lawlor probably best suited to Gillane but Cody could have Butler in mind for that, Limerick would love taking Huw out of full back to exploit us that's where R Reid would be crucial if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Could be a game for the ages. It harks back to the epics of the 1930s. Similar type make up to the teams aswell. A big strong Limerick star studded team and then a youngish Kilkenny team with a few older all time stars. It's fascinating how history loops on itself.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I doubt Kilkenny has ever gone into an AI Final as such outsiders, we are as much outsiders as Waterford were when we were going for 3 in a row in 2008. We need a performance similar to that in 2006 when we stopped Cork competing their 3 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Butterbeans

You're spot on. I keep going back to 2006 when I think of this years final. We need the same scoring accuracy we had against Clare but physically its going to be a step up too. I'm really looking forward to it, it's a step further than the last 2 years, we're playing a smarter and more cohesive style. We're in with a shout, but it's all to do.

Waterford in 2008 got their game plan wrong, they were more about getting in KKs face than concentrating on hurling. We'll have to do both and then some against Limerick. Great to be back in final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kkcitylover12

Great to be back in a final as you said, very little discussion during the past weeks about Kilkenny as it was all about Clare so will be interesting how the build up for the next two weeks goes. This 'Underdog' view on Kilkenny and waiting in the long grass has been an advantage for us.

Will be interesting the support for the final with the fewer number supporters at the All Ireland Semi vs Clare, still reckon their will be a healthy demand for tickets but will be people be less likely to travel since it's against this Limerick team. I for sure will be in Croke Park on All Ireland final day.

Limerick do not do a man marking job as far as I am aware, hardly likely to change this for TJ, Adrian Mullen, Eoin Cody or Mossy?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Butterbeans

It's a funny one, there's a lot of factors that come into attendance numbers, and this year in particular with petrol and diesel prices.

One or 2 on here have stated they won't travel to any more Kilkenny games as long as Cody's in charge and I'm sure that's probably true for a wider cohort of supporters also (and I'm not passing judgement on that, each to there own). I was at all the games this year, apart from Gal v KK round robin game, and the biggest support we had percentage wise was against Wexford in the park and that wouldn't have enticed anyone on the fence to attend the Leinster Final, there was a lot of heads hanging low leaving that game.

We've a smallish population, certainly the smallest of the teams competing for Liam McCarthy at present, bar Laois and Westmeath.

I think the fact it's Limerick will put some people off, but if we listened to that narrative we need not have turned up for last Sundays game. Having poor support seems to always be leveled at Kilkenny, and possibly there's a bit of truth to it, but myself and the few I go with will be there hail rain or shine and there's plenty more like that and that's alright by me. You'll always have a handful that will only go for finals, but that's the same with all sports.

We'll certainly be outnumbered at the final, Limerick have nearly twice the population we have, but that's just more people to say hard luck to on the way out😉

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

I would say a lot of those who said they wouldn't go while Codys there may reappear now they're going a bit better, numbers always drop when things aren't going well. Not sure what the total cost is for going to every game, league and championship, especially with all the extra round robin games, but I imagine its out of reach for a lot of people, add in a few kids for some and petrol/diesel as you pointed out and its fairly significant. With the forecasts its looking like numbers will be a lot worse next year. For the population in Kilkenny the attendances have generally been quite good I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Let's face it. We have one of the worst support of all the teams. Alot only appear for a final. Galway likewise. Wexford, Cork and Limerick have always had great support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

To be fair, the population of the county is just over 100'000. That's tiny. We're never gonna make our presence felt in Croke Park with those kind of numbers.

• Advertisement

Will be the 8th championship game, only the second time getting to play on a Sunday. Had a fair few games at crap times this year, for me anyway, hopefully this is changed next year

Can probably look forward to going to casement park for 7:30 game on a Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Many Cork supporters only appear for the bigger matches and they have a huge population anyway. Wexford, strangely, would pack out Croke Park but not their own ground. Limerick have a huge population also.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Marrooned

All Ireland tickets should be easy come by when only eight thousand KK supporters were bothered their arse going last Saturday.would you think these people will get the prime tickets, not likely .KK have about four thousand hard core supporters who will follow KK through thick or thin, Walsh cup league and championship.Only five hundred bothered going to Thurles for the U20 final seen that Thurles is five thousand miles away.

u20 turnout was very poor, not even the prospect of seeing tipp getting hammered could get people out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭robwen

No Citywest banquet this year, back to Kilkenny Sunday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Rooms in Dublin on that night are on offer for between €200 and €250 from what i see. Plenty available for any supporters looking to make a night of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

I was reading somewhere that the last few years prior to covid the semi finals involving kk the attendance was between 40 and about 48 thousand so the crowd the other didn't suprise anyone.

I don't think it's arrogance in kk maybe we're spoilt but there's definitely an attitude that "we'll wait for the final".We'll obviously be well outnumbered and although it's an expensive day out hopefully supporters get behind the day.

It should be a great occasion Sunday week and although Limerick are serious side and the benchmark they seem to be coming back to the pack. I know this will be music to their ears and we used it ourselves as motivation but they're not getting over the 30 points like previous years. The cody nay sayers are quite and probably keeping their powder dry till after the final but whatever anyone says about him he nearly always gets the team up. Ive being critical of him myself and wouldn't get carried away with last Sunday but I don't know would anyone else keep getting teams up. Although stubborn as a mule he had to go away from the braindead tactics against wexford because it simply isn't going to work and wasn't working.It was very obvious actually. There's still a place for the long ball once it's varied.We definitely deserve credit last Sunday but we know we'll have to kick on from this Sunday week. Tj was exceptional and he's very determined to get his brother up them steps.We all know the way Limerick play but it's just so hard to play against it.Limerick won't give the high ball into the fowards it will be all about movement and space. Hopefully we can come up with something special and theres no doubt this would be one of Cody's sweetest finals.We definitely don't want to get hammered in our 3rd final and I sure Richie Hogan will be itching to get on.

The final will obviously be our biggest test. Everything needs to go well for us.Mikey carey was under pressure the last two games I thought and Billy and mossy would need a much bigger performance. I was dissapointed Billy had to turn back onto his left in the second half when going for a goal chance. He done the same against wexford and by doing this the chance was not as good,you can be sure Limerick will have their homework done. He could start wally In the final.Will we stay trying to work the ball when we're under pressure?this will be the ultimate test but thank god we're trying to do the right thing now.

A lot of people make a huge deal of certain counties great support. But a lot are just event junkies. I was reading the main thread Saturday and mid way through the first half a neutral said oh Kilkenny will really miss the support to kick on in the second half!! Kilkenny would play in an 82,000 stadium with 10 supporters. They are cool and calm.

Mayo have huge support and it hasn't got them over the line. Where you'll see the Kilkenny support for their hurling is at games like an U13 match between Muckalee and Conahy. There's great support at grass roots. And a great intensity to the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭kk.man

Hats off to Brian I was joining the list of doubters.

I am worried that this final could end up like our previous two. This team is going to have to play out of it's skin to get over the line. The pain of 16 and 19 must count for something. Limerick are very good side but not unbeatable. Here's hoping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Good crowd in Ballyragget this evening for junior B league final. Ref made some stones of it though. Martins scored a free and he marked it down to Lactains.

Advertisement