Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

You can’t record the Irish channels, with the exception of TG4, they instead make you use the catch up services. Tbs this is grand with rte as there are no ads on the rte player on Apple TV

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

No you can't record on Irish stations on apple tv,hasn't really bothered me to be honest , you can put the Irish tv players rte/virgin/tg4 on the apple box

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I noticed the players for Irish to have improved recently as now you can watch live to on both the rate player and now the virgin player on atv. In the past it was very restricted but not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The Irish channels appear to still have an issue with the Cloud recording feature on the Apple TV. Its not really an issue since you can use the players. Eir also have quite a good catch-up service which allows you to play mostprogrammes directly from the Programme Guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Thanks all for the responses, I think we’ll give it a go, it will reduce our monthly spend by about €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Me2U2

Apologies if this has been asked before, can you use homeplugs with the Eir Apple TV? The engineer installed our FTTH modem this morning but didn’t mention the need to run a cable from the modem to the TV box. I think he just didn’t want to run a cable around the front of the house. Now we have a modem in the hall and looking up the TV install advice it says it must be hard wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

An Apple TV itself will work fine on Wi-Fi. Unless the EirTV app has some way of enforcing that its wired that's likely just the recommended way to avoid issues with spotty Wi-Fi.

It seems that way. The email from Eir confirming the order and stating you must hard wire the TV box is directly contradicted by their own set up guides on the website where it says you can use WiFi to set up Eir TV on the Apple TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Have you tried it using WiFi? They may say it but not be able to enforce it.

I haven't received the Apple TV yet, the email I got says I should get it within two working days of the router being installed. Just trying to work out how I am going to wire it if the email is correct. Hopefully wifi will work ok, or even if it just requires a hard wired connection to activate it at the outset, that would be fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

I have the Apple TV box. Mine is connected to the Wi-Fi I don’t even remember getting instructions about doing it any other way.

The Eir Apple TV works perfectly well on WiFi. No need to hardwire. The previous (non Apple) Eir Vision TV box needed to be hardwired to ethernet(or homeplug). Since there are still some legacy users of the old box,the Eir website may include advice for hardwiring?

This is from the email I received after ordering FTTH and the Apple TV service last week:

“Your eir TV operates over eir fibre broadband so your modem and TV need to be connected with a cable. The technician will discuss cable routing with you and will let you know if drilling is needed.”

Maybe they just haven’t updated their automatic emails, but as far as I remember the Apple TV replaced the old Eir Vision box we used to have years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yes, you can use it on two devices on any Irish broadband, including mobile. I use it all the time on a mobile. Only issue is that an occasional program can be blocked due to rights issues.

I use the AppleTV wirelessly, with no issue. When I had eir Fibre I could watch 4K services with no issues. I'm now in rural Ireland with ADSL and 4K can sometimes be a bit of a struggle, but still using WiFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

I'm asking if I can register my apple TV device at a different pical address that does not use eir broadband.

When I try I get channel unavailable, content unavailable at current location.

Is that because it was registered already elsewhere, or because I don't have eir BB.

AFAIK you need to be on the eir network to use your AppleTV with eir TV. Other apps for watching TV will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭eoinbn

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has replaced their F3000 router with a 3rd party one? I know the internet will work but I have seen a number of posts, going back a few years to the F2000, where people couldn't get Eir TV to work after replacing their router.

Don't want to send €200 just to find out that I can't use Eir TV. The router is in a different room to the AppleTV box so just adding a wifi access point isn't an option.

Cheers.

Why not use eir's Smart WiFi hub to extend WiFi to the room where the Apple TV box is? https://www.eir.ie/smartwifi/ - This is a mesh WiFi box that will work in tandem with the F3000 router. You can add more of them if you need to. If your issue is WiFi range, replacing the router with another router is unlikely to solve your problems. You need to consider a mesh system with either wireless or wired access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I don't want to be tied to Eir hardware as we switch yearly.

The connection to the Apple tv box is fine. The issue is other direction. The signal has to pass through two walls to get to the main bedroom and the signal is very weak by that stage. There is nowhere in between to place a mesh AP or repeater.

• Advertisement

You can use any mesh devices (eg TP-Link Deco). You will need to colocate the first one beside your eir router and switch off the WiFi on the eir router. You will need N+1 devices vs N if you use the eir mesh devices. If your walls are that much of an obstruction, you should try to wire at least one of the mesh nodes back to your router. Changing to a different make of router is unlikely to solve your coverage without adding additional APs.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

What's the story with on-demand/catchup on Eir TV? The Mrs is a big fan of those Masterchef shows on W (Watch) channel on Sky. W is available on Eir TV but is the catchup service available here in Ireland...I guess same question for the likes of the BBC iPlayer.

I'm assuming the answer is No?

There is generally either a record or catch-up option for all channels - but you need to use different procedures depending on the channel. BBC do not licence iPlayer for use in Ireland, but they do allow recording - so you can do a series record to catch BBC programmes. The Irish channels do not allow recording, but quite a lot of their programmes are available on the Eir Catch-up service, which means you can start them from the programme guide if you missed them. Since the RTE Player, VM & TG4 players are also available on the Eir box, you can also use those for catch-up. The Channel 4 suite of channels tend to both allow recording and they also have an excellent player All4. The players are very convenient, and I only tend to use record for BBC because their player is not available. W appears to allow recording, but is not available on catch-up - so it is similar to BBC. (I don't know if they have a player?).

Most of these restrictions are not technical in nature, but result from the copyright rules for different content. They seem to become an issue when TV service providers move to next-gen cloud-based platforms such as Apple TV or Sky Glass. The other providers who are still using legacy boxes are likely to face the same restrictions when they upgrade to cloud-based platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Thanks for the detailed response @babelfish1990 - sounds like through a mix of recording and catch-up services we'll get what we need.

I think W and other channels can be streamed through UKTV Play - but looks like that is restricted like BBC iPlayer but if recording is available then we (the Mrs) might be able to live with it :)

Given that Eir TV is only a tenner a month then it's probably worth a try anyway...

Thanks again

I think you will find Eir TV works very well for your requirements. The cloud recording has a number of advantages such as playback is possible on multi-room TV boxes or via the app on a phone/tablet. The cloud player always remembers when you stopped watching a recording and picks up where you left off. You can also do multi-room without paying any additional monthly fee if you "buy" additional Apple TV boxes. Eir don't advertise this feature as they probably make more revenue if you add them to your bundle. However, Eir sell as-new refurbed Apple TV boxes for €79.99 on the eir store website. These are very good value if you want to add extra rooms without increasing your bundle cost.

Just give yourself a little time to adjust to the user interface on the Apple TV. If your household is used to legacy TV boxes and remotes, Apple TV is more like a computer desktop experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

What is the story with Eir TV and NBI...was looking to get Eir TV along with changing my BB supplier and Eir told me they cant give me Eir TV because of some licensing issue with NBI...any news on this.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I have the same query, as eirTV suits my needs well. My information, which is generally accurate, is that the IT systems need to be modified, to allow this.

I"ll post here if I get any further info.

Post edited by NewClareman on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Cool thanks

If not sorted in the next couple of weeks I am now thinking of Sky actually as they are releasing their streaming puck in the middle of October so that is another streaming option. Don't really want to have a sky disk bolted onto the side of my new fancy house and them drilling holes in my walls.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

If you’re banking on Sky Stream mid-October is the UK launch date; it may not launch not here for a while. Was a delay of a year between the launch of Glass and the stand-alone Puck in the U.K. and it may be similar here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 feedyourhead

Not 100% sure this is the right place to ask but, I have the Apple TV box with the Eir app on it. The last month or so when you open the app every so often it will only have the sound and the app just gets stuck on the Eir logo. The only way to resolve this is to power down the box and unplug it. It's a real pain in the a** that this stage. Any work arounds or is this a known issue?

Thanks

Advertisement