Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The procedure for setting up the 2nd box (refurbished box) was exactly the same as for the 1st (official eir box). There was no need to enter my eir account details - both boxes appear to pick these up automatically - presumably from the physical address of my Broadband connection. It is possible that eir might cutoff additional boxes not registered as multi-room, at some stage. This thought did occur to me also. However, I think that Eir are keen to price TV & Mobile services very aggressively in bundles, to win over customers who are paying for costly bundles from other providers, and they may turn a blind-eye to DIY multi-room. They are even selling the refurbished boxes on the eir website - so this seems to suggest that they might quietly be endorsing the practice. If you buy your own boxes, they don't have to recoup the cost of shipping new boxes from Apple, and supporting them, and these are probably their main additional cost drivers for multi-room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Has to be a good thing...Will be watching to see if any improvment from the top changing...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Suffering Jbox

Thanks for the helpful info, Babelfish. I see there are two versions of the Apple 4K boxes - is it the first generation (2017) or second generation (2021) that Eir supply?

Jbox - I got the Apple TV 4k 1st gen (usually called Apple TV 5th gen, baselined from earlier pre 4k models) from Eir last year. I don't know if Eir are now shipping 2nd gens to new customers?

Thanks. Hard to say. They don't mention what version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

In relation to another box, i.e. other than Apple TV...

eir allow two additional devices, such as a phone or tablet be used. These can be iOS or Android. When using Android Chromecast can be used. I use a wall mounted tablet in the kitchen, which has the eir app installed. I regularly cast from that tablet to a TV. We also use the eir app on an iPad. The only drawback with these devices is that programmes can be blocked, from time to time, over rights issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

For anyone interested in the Beijing Winter Olympics I see that today there's a new addition in the channel listings. Eurosport Winter Olympics 4K has been added to the menu starting in a few days. So far the dreaded padlock is missing indicating that it could be extra content at no further cost and in Glorious 4K too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

I don't see BBC3 that was relaunched today..have I missed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

There are regulatory issues to overcome, basically the BBC has to take out an EU broadcasting licence for BBC Three before it can go on Irish EPG's. It's in the process of being done but wasn't done in time. Why is BBC Three missing in the Republic of Ireland? | RXTV info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭crinkley

Anyone else having problems with recording shows off BBC, I'm now longer able to skip forward when watching later on

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Are you on an Apple TV box or the older Eir digi box. ?

Hi, Has this been resolved? Have not yet made the jump to Apple tv and this gives me pause. Thanks.

yeah it was like that for about a week all sorted now. Saying that when I first got it last May you could record off channel 4 in HD now it only allows you to record in SD, I like to record stuff instead of using the channel 4 app so I can skip the ads, but other than that I'm happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭MenloPete

Can someone give me a definitive answer to this question - will the older EirVision box stop working at some point this year? Or is it just that it will not be supported and sold?

I did message Eir, but I felt I was just getting the official sales line about it being obsolete.

The reason I ask is that an elderly neighbour made the switch to Apple TV, but can't really master it. I could switch her back to the old box, but it's pointless if it will stop working in a few months.

I can't be definitive about it - but I upgraded from Eir Vision to Eir's Apple TV box last November. At that stage, some of the recording features on the old box had stopped working, and Eir told me that the box was being phased out, and that I needed to upgrade, as the eir Vision platform was not being actively supported and would be phased out within the next year. They also told me that once I upgraded there was definitely no migration path to revert back to eir Vision (this sounds like where your neighbour is - so they won't be able to go backwards). I was a bit wary of upgrading to the Apple TV box, as I found the eir Vision service very good, and I knew that some of the Irish & UK TV channels have not embraced Cloud recording as offered on the Apple TV Box. However, having upgraded, I was pleased to discover that the UK channels have now come on board for Cloud recording, and only the Irish channels are now left behind. This is not such a problem as you can do catch-up via RTE player, and the dedicated Catch-up feature on eir TV.

Regarding the user experience, eir TV is much closer to a Computer user interface than legacy TV boxes. For the vast majority of users, having Netflix, Amazon Prime, eir TV etc all on the same desktop with the same user interface is a huge convenience. Nevertheless, I could understand that users not familiar with desktops and mice might find the experience a bit daunting. If your neighbour is using the original Apple remote, that may be partly causing the frustration. The Apple remote has a touch sensitive user interface like an i-Pod. Eir now shipping a "dumbed-down" remote - which is probably more suitable for users who are not familiar with touch-sensitive interfaces. Maybe you need to ask eir for one of the dumbed down remotes, if you are using the Apple remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I was on to EIR and one agent told me 2-3 months and the EirVision would be finished, however another agent told me this would not be the case and indicated that the phaseout would be slower, as in 1-2 years. I find it still works for me (though I cant pause / rewind). Am starting a new contract soon. Very much depends who you talk to re phaseout!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭MenloPete

It ships with the Eir simplified remote as standard.

Could Siri help? Can you switch channels on EirTV using voice commands?

Post edited by MenloPete on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Don't know much about what is going on with this change as I have not given it any attention. Don't even know how much I am paying per month tbh. I called Eir this morning to find out basic answers to basic questions. Waited and waited. No answer. Not even a 'you are 20th on the waiting list'. Can't see on their website anywhere where it says send an email including your account details to give advice or any help at all.

What's going on? if you can't get through to these people what are you supposed to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Simon2022

Yeah i find Siri on the eir remote real handy, you can use the voice commands to change channels, restart skip a few mins forward and back on recordings or open different apps. I was missing the backup button on the evision remote but the voice commands are just as handy. It took my parents a few weeks to get the hang of the new remote but they love it now. If your really stuck you can always train the evision remote to work on the apple tv/ eir tv app (or any remote for that matter).

Going away for a while - would anybody know if you plug out Eirvision box or Apple with Eir box for a month or so, would recordings still be on it when you plug it back in? thanks in advance.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't know about the eir vision box but I'm nearly certain on the Apple TV app the recordings are saved to the cloud rather than locally so they would still be there.

Thanks Mickeroo, anybody know the position re Eir vision box?

The EirVision box has a hard disk that saves the recordings locally. If the box is plugged out you won't get any new recordings - but recordings made before you plugged it out will still be there when you return.

Eir's Apple TV box does not have a hard disk - it uses cloud recording, so recordings should still proceed even if the box is plugged out.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

EIR are really ramping up the inconvenience factor for people with the old eir vision box. Channel 4 now has “audio description” turned on intermittently so it’s like having a mate in the room describing what’s happening on the tv 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Ah is that Eir's doing, cheeky f**kers!

Noticed that on last episode of Derry Girls I think so just watched on All4 will be doing that a lot more so if that's the case!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

Anyone else getting "sign in via TV provider failed" errors ?

EDIT Never mind , a reboot fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

silly question im sure. but is there no way at all of using this if you dont have eir broadband? Got it for the mother and she hates it, but in contract for the year. I assume i cant cancel and i dont want to change my own BB provider at home. vpn or anything elsemight make it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Ricey3509

Hi Folks

I'm considering moving away from our current combo of Sky + pure telecom to Eir + Eir tv and I’ve seen some comments on this thread about issues with recording on Apple TV , particularly the Irish stations - is that still the case or has it been resolved now?

Thanks!

Advertisement