Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Finally fellow busers are opening the windows a little more. I'm going to keep wearing masks on buses/trains/planes/taxis as I spray them with lovely scents which masks some of the publlictransport smells.

I have to wear them at work and sometimes its a gift in disguise as it masks my facial expressions (upset, laugh, anger etc..). I wonder if anyone has done a study into darkglasses and maskwearing at pokertournaments?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Calling me a Troll ain't nice @FTB2021 At least the poster who called me a wind up merchant which more than one poster has done isn't that right @_Kaiser_ ? was just trying to descredit my posts into comedy, which they are far from BTW.

Everybody has their own unique style. Don't call them Trolls or wind up merchants might be a good start.

I feed the thread with content beyond the reaches of just mere mindless digs and falsehoods.

Case in point below. If you want to discuss masks and Prof Cormican aka AMRIC views on masks with me I'm here for you.

This was posted last night. Do you even know who he is and what he has done not done for mask wearing in Ireland? If not PART 1 of this thread could prove very useful before you reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, you said:

Find one post by me calling for the mask mandate to be reintroduced and I will never post in this thread again

Which I've done. It didn't even take that long. Just go back 5/6 pages at a time and within 3 minutes there it was!

It's of absolutely no surprise though that you're attempting to back out of it. You are great at being snarky and condescending to other posters but then very quick to play the victim when called out on your antics. Now here you are trying to deflect and back out because you can't even stand over something you said yourself.

Everyone here can see what you are now and your posts will be viewed in the same light I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What are the actual rules on mask wearing in a medical enviornment? I went to my GP today for a consultation ahead of a prescription and the receptionist would not let me into the waiting room as I refused to wear a mask. It is routine to have an appointment in this place and be seen 1hr to 1.5 hour later after and never ever are you seen on time; as it is just chaos there so I told them I'll be outside when he's ready. Doctor shook my hand and was not wearing a mask himself when he subsequently came out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Advisory only, nothing in legislation now to require them anywhere. Fair play to you for sticking to your guns. Sounds like your GP has a brain between his ears as well. The sooner people stop going along with this unscientific quackery, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A medical facility can enforce such rules if they want to, it is within their prerogative. If they don't want to let you in without a mask, it is their call.

As for "unscientific quackery", you'd know all about.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Masks make as much sense as a dress code nowadays.

Masks should be the default setting in medical waiting rooms when you consider the amount of people likely to be in there with respiratory infectious diseases, not just covid.

Nope.

Wear your mask if you want to, but that's as far as it should go.

We never needed these things before we gave what is a mild illness for the vast majority a "scary name". We don't need it now with even milder variants and vaccination options.

We're facing another autumn/winter of calls for restrictions, media scaremongering and feeding people's anxieties - with all the damage that will do!

I for one am tired of pandering to a dose of the sniffles.

Of course we needed them. You're rewriting history now as if we only ever had to face Omicron with a vaccinated population.

We don't know what variants will emerge next, which is why it is reasonable of the government to be planning legislation for mask mandates in future if deemed necessary.

We were right during the pandemic not to pander to those put out by the minor inconvenience of a mask, as an effective means of reducing transmission.

Covid represented a threat of a whole new order to the capacity of public health. It wasn't just a "dose of the sniffles" and it is utterly dishonest to present it as such. It's why every major health authority in the world reacted as it did to covid (and not just flu and not just a dose of the sniffles). The UK tried to treat it as a dose of the sniffles and had to abandon that as hospitals filled up.

Masks should be the default setting in medical waiting rooms when you consider the amount of people likely to be in there with respiratory infectious diseases, not just covid, and in hindsight, should have been pre-covid.

• Advertisement

Nope. Still wrong - indeed YOU are the one trying to "rewrite history"

Even in the early months it became very clear very quickly who was actually vulnerable to Covid - the very elderly and/or immunocompromised.

Of course, the decision to send many of this cohort back to nursing homes is a national scandal that will see a tribunal yet IMO, but the results fed into the hysteria that this was a deadly mass-killer... it wasn't! It was the decision that was taken that was the killer unfortunately.

Despite almost universal mask wearing, we still had spikes and lows in cases regardless. The only thing we protected was the incompetence of the HSE in their inability to put 20 billion Euro a year to where it was needed, rather than in the pockets of their union staff and hugely inflated invoices of vendors/contractors. It is no coincidence that many of the key people involved have started to retire from their roles.

The only thing masks have done here is to feed the anxieties of some, the grandstanding of others, and the frustrations of the rest. That's it.

But AGAIN... there is nothing stopping you wearing your mask if you want to, feel safer by doing so, or feel that you're protecting others - work away!

The problem is that you want to force everyone else to feel the same way and behave the way you believe they should. Unfortunately though, people will make their own decisions and risk assessments, and as we've seen, the risk (2.5 years later) just isn't there!

Incoherent nonsense.

You don't even want people in doctor's waiting rooms to wear masks, so what was your plan to protect vulnerable people during the covid pandemic? You don't have one.

How were nursing homes to be kept safe, if staff have to move about in the wider society?

This is why, all the major public health authorities in the world acted as they did with restrictions, including masks.

I've no "problem" if others have to be "forced" to comply with mask mandates when deemed necessary by public health authorities & government, or such other measures as deemed necessary by them as the proper authority to decide such things.

Anymore than I have a "problem" with people being "forced" to comply with legislation on public smoking, drink driving, seatbelts, driving dangerous vehicles, licensing requirements, insurance requirements etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What other restrictions apart from masks should we start thinking of mandating for in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I was asking for your opinion. What further measures would you like to see happen after you get your mask mandate?

I refer you to my previous answer, I'll leave that to the experts - and also, the appropriate thread.

The only "nonsense" to be honest, is your apparent obsession with trying to tell people what to do, and hiding behind the "authorities" to justify it.

If anyone has an obsession about masks, it seems like you fit the bill seeing as you seem to hang about the thread despite getting so worked up about them and any possible sign of their reappearance as mandated. If that's the game you want to play you aren't playing it well - so nope, I refuse to be baited by you.

People can be convinced of the merits of masks without having to have an 'obsession' about them.

You see, you can't bring yourself to think that people could have formed such an opinion, so you have to tar them with some malign motive or personal failing - either they are obsessed with telling people what to do OR they have curtain twitchers, or bedwetters or some other perjerative term.

I see right through your tactics.

Now now.. take a breath. No need for tantrums.

You are once again completely wrong. Where have I EVER said that people shouldn't be free to wear a mask if they want to and for WHATEVER reason?

Even today I've reiterated that point in this thread. Feel free to read back.

My problem is with people like you who would try to force everyone into it because of your fears/value of them.

That is the fundamental difference between us. I am encouraging people to make up their own minds subject to their own risk assessment and level of concern. You want to treat them like toddlers and make them feel/behave the way you believe they should.

I'm not "throwing a tantrum". There you are with the baiting again. You are wasting your time with it because I see right through it.

Impossible to debate the merits of an issue with someone who has to ascribe malign motives or personal failings to those on the opposing side of the debate. It's obvious what you are doing, and I reject the premise entirely.

I've no problem with legitimate authority mandating rules in shared environments to reduce risks such as masks, indoor smoking, or drink driving, or roadworthy vehicles to make them "behave as they should" - because their behaviour affects more than just them. Does that mean you think drivers are treated like toddlers? And what difference would the answer make? Absolutely zero.

• Advertisement

When your response to a factual recount of the events is "incoherent nonsense", you'll excuse me if I don't take your subsequent input too seriously. I'm pretty much done at this stage with indulging the contrarian, insulting and deflecting nonsense posts that are all over this site to be honest.

You may infer (incorrectly) whatever you wish, but the statement remains as it has all along - wear your mask if you wish, wherever you wish, for whatever reason you wish.. but that is the LIMIT of your entitlement. You do not get to "look down on" or belittle anyone because you disagree with their just-as-valid choice NOT to wear one, NOT to be as concerned/fearful/whatever as you may do, NOT to see it as a "minor inconvenience" or whatever.

It's as simple as that, and until or unless that changes through mandate, it will continue to be, no matter how much you may disagree with it.

Yeah, "insulting and deflecting" posts are all over the site:

your apparent obsession with trying to tell people what to do, and hiding behind the "authorities" to justify it.

Now now.. take a breath. No need for tantrums.

You want to treat them like toddlers and make them feel/behave the way you believe they should.

But you are "done indulging" and are ok to dictate to others what the "limit of their entitlement" is.

I think your own words say it all.

So nope I reject entirely the premise of your posts.

It is a thread about masks. Apparently you'd like to set rules on it such that people who are pro-masks are not allowed to comment on it in favour of the mask legislation being considered by the government. Well that is not one of your 'entitlements', and does not need your 'indulgence' to be permitted.

I am entirely in favour of such legislation. And throughout the covid pandemic the Irish people in polls and in actions showed their acceptance of the need for mask mandates when deemed necessary by the public health authorities.

You can certainly comment on it all you wish, but if you expect it to go unchallenged then maybe you need a blog, not a discussion forum.

Wear your mask and stop worrying about those who aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Many major public health authorities had people convinced to disinfect and quarantine the weekly shop, and their clothing before reentering their home, before accepting deliveries etc.

The fact is that countries seized on any measure/restriction to try to tackle Covid resulting in similar methods attempted - it doesn’t prove, or grade, the effectiveness of common methods attempted.

We’ve had two years to figure out how to protect elderly and vulnerable. Wearing a mask is not the solution. Even in countries where N95 only masks were mandated it didn’t put a dent in the spread of Omicron. Unless a nasty variant comes along, boosters and support for elderly and vulnerable is enough.

Nursing homes and hospitals can never be safe-proofed against a highly contagious airborne virus, even a complete lockdown doesn’t work for those settings, as once it gets in there’s no controlling it. If wearing a mask makes you and loved ones feel protected then good, but mandating them is just a political placebo for the permanently worried. Distancing is the only effective way to reduce spread, and is impractical and disproportionately problematic for anything other than a short burst, and even then primarily to protect healthcare being overwhelmed.

I'm not talking specifically about Omicron though - where did I say that? There are numerous studies on this thread showing their effectiveness against earlier variants. We need to consider past and future variants. It's rewriting history to judge masks only versus Omicron or covid only versus Omicron hitting a vaccinated population.

Were the earlier variants a dose of the sniffles or not? Is that how you would describe it? If you disagree how about challenging that?

Your comments about nursing homes and hospitals make a nonsense about the 'protecting the vulnerable' slogan shouted by those who wanted the pubs open and wider society to continue as normal. Masks were about reducing transmission in general, as well as reducing the risk in specific settings, in order to protect (potentially vulnerable) people and reduce the strain on the health service from infected people.

So strawman argument -> is a contagious virus more likely to spread into nursing homes and hospitals in an environment where covid is allowed to run rampant in a society? Or one where public health authorities take measures to reduce its spread and prevalence?

Public health authorities didn't just jump on masks so it is disingenuous if not dishonest to present it as such. They looked at the evidence from epidemological and case studies. They are the experts to assess such data, not some randomers on boards. If they are satisfied it is a measure to put in place, so I am.

Masks made distancing more effective, by reducing the amount of infectious droplets that need to disperse. And distancing is not always possible.

"Permanently worried" -> there you go with that nonsense again. I could just as easily respond that there is a "permanently worried" cohort who are "permanently worried" that they might have be asked to put up with the minor inconvenience of masks. Drop the nonsense. Being in support of mask mandates in the past, and the government's proposed legislation in an entirely legitimate and valid position. One I don't need anyone's indulgence to be entitled to hold or support on this thread and any comments to the contrary will be entirely disrespected.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Disrespect away - I care little for your respect. Re omicron vs earlier variants, you’ll notice I mentioned the caveat of a nasty new variant.

I have no idea why you are introducing ‘dose of the sniffles’ or ‘open the pubs’ in your reply to me.

I don’t believe masks make any significant reduction in infection outside of a lab experiment.

Im not sure you understand what a strawman argument is. My point was that it doesn’t need high community transmission to overwhelm a hospital with a respiratory virus. It only needs a small number of virulent infections and it is thereafter not containable.

Distancing is an effective measure for a contagious airborne virus in an interdependent society and real life experience, masks are not. Authorities were hesitant in recommending masks, that’s true, what was the reluctance? Did mask advocates know more and know better than public health authorities?

Distancing is certainly possible now for most who feel they need to. Not sure why you need to disclaim anyone’s indulgence, I’m giving an opinion contrary to yours that’s all.

Was covid a dose of the sniffles or not? You agree that measures against covid were warranted or not? That it represented a higher level of thread to public health than a cold or flu?

If covid isn't containable, how can the vulnerable be protected? Were we wrong not to focus more on 'protecting the vulnerable'? Do you agree with that concept or not?

So how about challenging some of the posts on the thread which stated the opposite? If you want to give a contrary opinion, there are other opinions on this thread contrary to yours (and mine).

If covid isn't containable, how it is that covid cases respond to the implementation and lifting of public health measures, of which masks is one measure?

If covid isn't containable, how did some nursing homes escape infection in 2020?

Do you think covid is more likely to outbreak in nursing homes or medical facilities in a society where covid runs rampant or where there are public health measures in place to reduce its spread?

If you read some of those other posts, you will see why I used the word 'indulgence' in my reply.

Authorities were waiting on the data on masks to come in. They are the experts in assessing such data and every major authority in the world either mandated or recommended them at some point over the course the pandemic or in certain settings - until Omicron. If you're going to say they were wrong, you need a helluva lot more than you have so far provided if you want to convince, which is zero evidence, zero foundation, zero substantiation.

Distancing is an (to an extent) effective measure, again in certain circumstances. Distancing and masks in conjunction is even more effective. And distancing is not always possible.

Well at least you admit that you have no problem with forcing people to comply with masks and other restrictions despite the vast majority not wanting to.

As I suspected, you are not simply comfortable to wear your own mask or follow whatever restrictions you deem necessary yourself.

I'd also hazard a guess that the restrictions had no major impact on you in terms of salary etc?

In reality, where most of us choose to live, we can see that COVID is an extremely mild illness.

There are vaccines available. People are free to wear masks and full PPE if they want. People are free to stay home or avoid any areas they don't feel safe.

I can't imagine what else you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Your posts on this thread are clear example of manipulation imo.

As you like to suggest, you should reread what you wrote here.

When it comes to masks, you are entirely missing the POINT.

• Advertisement

Have another read of the post that was responding to and the tone therein.

Regardless, the point is simple - if someone wants to wear a mask, socially distance, limit their activities, stay home, whatever and for whatever reason then they are entirely free to do so.

What they are NOT free to do is complain about or others who don't feel the same way on the issue. Covid will affect everyone differently. For the vast majority there is little to no significant effect. That's the fact after 2.5 years of empirical evidence. We also have a vaccination programme and those who are actually at risk are encouraged to get boosters when needed. We're also dealing with significantly milder variants.

In short, once again, Covid is not the deadly killer it was feared to be in early 2020. For the vast majority of people it's little more than a cold, an inconvenience. For those who it IS more than that, there are treatments and advice available.

And ultimately, with everything else that's going on in this country at the moment - cost of living surges, rental and housing crisis, problems accessing treatment for other healthcare issues, the ongoing influx of Ukrainian refugees that will cost 3bn in the upcoming budget to support, etc - the last thing we need right now is renewed Covid scaremongering by those who seemingly can't recognise the above and that we have far more import things to deal with than what IS no more than a mild dose for the vast majority who catch it.

Advertisement