Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Uh oh, they're back at hinting making masks mandatory again. but just talk for public transport and shops. Not like covid can spread in offices as well. https://www.joe.ie/news/face-masks-public-transport-750180

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope.. one of the unions is calling for masks (just as they complained that the mandate was lifted a few months back). Micheael Martin has ruled it out as the advice doesn't warrant it.

You're clearly not familiar with the word irony are you?

Like a few others, toys out of pram when you're postings aren't immediately accepted and validated at face value.

But again, you had/have no right or entitlement to ask anyone to wear a mask (properly). Wear your own wherever you wish, but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It does seem now that only anxious people are wearing masks these days.

I wonder if masks add to people's anxieties rather than reduce them?

Absolutely they did - report this morning on the news that the ERSI has found that mental health stresses increased over the pandemic.

It's not natural or normal to be hiding behind a mask, nervous about getting too close to someone on the street/in a supermarket etc. Add to that the constant ads and media coverage at the time and it's no wonder that people's anxieties (especially those who would already be the nervous type) were increased by mask-wearing. It was a constant reminder that they should be afraid of this unseen illness.

In reality of course, and thankfully so, almost everyone was at little to no real threat from Covid. But that wouldn't have fit the narrative, especially when the money and other costs involved (to employment, other healthcare issues, and indeed stress and other pressures) started to mount up.

It absolutely didn't help that we were saddled with Leo "movie quotes and Twitter likes" Varadkar and Micheal "10 reports and still dithering" Martin to "Lead" us through it - no wonder Holohan and co were effectively dictating policy for most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

It's no wonder you believe wearing a mask into a pharmacy effects your quality of life. Oh you didn't answer that question yet did you?

Defining the natural and normal during a pandemic, give over.

Blaming media adds, come on now.

Defining threats as deaths only whilst ignoring long covid, that's some selectiveness.

I wouldn't be so fast to isolate "twitter likes" from any other form of online brainwashing, boards inc.

One only has to read through the HIQA mask guidance to understand why Holohan et al. got forced into "dictating policy" from time to time.

Blame everyone else except those who choose not to help out by wearing a mask when asked.

I've already explained why mask wearing is both unnatural and damaging - doesn't matter the venue. The article I quoted previously discusses it too. Feel free to read back.

As for the rest of your post - what's the point! You're like a dog with a bone and just can't move on no matter what I or anyone else here says. I've already covered all those points previously too. Again, feel free to read back.

As I've said throughout - wear your mask, keep your distance, stay home, or whatever you want to do to feel safe or that you're "protecting others".... but that's as far as it goes. You cannot make anyone else feel as you do, can't ask them to wear masks or complain if they don't because you personally disagree etc etc. The only one you have any influence or authority over is YOU.

The bottom line is that Covid is not the deadly mass-killing disease it was initially feared to be in early 2020. It affects primarily the very elderly or medically compromised. The average member of our society is at little to no real risk from it.

Additionally, everyone has been at least double/triple vaccinated at this point, many have caught and gotten over it, and ultimately the majority of people, the Government, and the likes of NPHET and Holohan have moved on (why is their recommendation that masks should no longer be mandated not good enough for you? You can't hide behind their recommendation one minute, but complain when it no longer suits you!)

But, I'm increasingly inclined to agree with others after your recent "mask with a hole" post in that you're only really here to be contrary and wind people up. It says more about you than those you are complaining about. Doesn't bother me mind. Your posts and attitude only undermine any point you may actually have so please do continue.

But the facts remain that you're in a very small minority and most people have far more pressing and real concerns to worry about at the moment.

That is where the concern would be now particulary for nursing homes. Data is not collected currently to make that link but the arguement makes sense physically.

If you look at Respirator masks point 4. from that same June Acute Hospital Infection Prevention and Control Precautions for Possible or Confirmed COVID-19 in a Pandemic Setting AMRIC paper.

AMRIC have wrongly redefined transmission as primarily belong to the droplet route. Doing this has allowed AMRIC to downgrade from FFP2 to surgical.

Aerosols travel the same route from source but they have been excluded for close proximity transmision to suit the downgrading. Without masks on they would both exit source and travel into the close contact zone pretty much in unison. With surgical masks on the heavier particles that are unable to bend air would be caught in the NWPP and the remaining smaller particles(aerosol and smaler droplets) would escape through leak junctures.

From the same paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

A genuine question Seanergy. If the union had gotten their way with mask mandates months ago when we had 1600+ in hospital and then it dropped to circa 200 would you have been on here today claiming a victory for the masks? Now be honest 😆 I’m my opinion you’d be beating that drum with a sledgehammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

And lets not forget the large drop in hospital numbers with the mask mandate removed coincided with the OP going very quite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭User1998

Just out of curiosity would you be in favour of mandatory mask wearing again?

First of all one does not beat a drum with a sledge hammer as it would go through it on first blow so your opinion is wild and inaccurate.

Secondly that has nothing to do with the post yoru replying to which is my critic of the HSE's lead for IPC manipulation on routes of transmission and downgrading of masks.

Thirdly you need to be more specific.

It was "the Union" that pushed Micheal Martin into the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants even though he likes to sell it differently just as it was a union that pushed govt into mandating masks in 2020.

We are all the victors if we get cases low, albeit till they rise again. Then heads who have been holed up can give life a go again, albeit still with some risk. Small minded rub it in your face jump up and down attitudes ain't going to give us the breathing space we need ATM.

Nice deflection from my question with your essay of nonsense reply and even bringing the smoking ban into it lol

it was a simple question and going by your reply I have no doubt you and your ilk would have been claiming that masks contributed to the fall in hospitals to approx 200. But i doubt there would be any balls for anyone to admit it. Just to be clear to you a mask mandate would have had absolutely nothing to do with the hospitalizations falling off a cliff.

Post edited by Micky 32 on

I see on the news the wannabe celebrities. A Dr Barry ( I think) claiming that it’s now too late to bring masks mandates in. He claims it should have been done a month ago lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure what circles you moved in but I found mask compliance ridiculously high.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

oh long covid... that's the tenured public servant affliction right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I didn’t ignore the mandate. I ignored the self appointed guardians of the universe like yourself.

It does happen. I know someone who went into a shop with no mask the day after the law was lifted for the masks. Some little authoritarian pulled him aside for a lecture on masks. He politely replied ” I can understand why you’d still want to wear a mask. If I had a face like yours I would still be wearing one too” lol

More like I was off grid on an island in India. I never screamed for the mask mandate to be reintroduced.

Find one post by me calling for the mask mandate to be reintroduced and I will never post in this thread again. You can't cause your living in la la land making up fantasy posts about la la stuff and me.

• Advertisement

Twas an answer not a defelction, I asked for you to be more specific so I can answer you best. Instead though youve choosen to throw digs and get your balls out make claims and drive off cliffs.

The debate that should have circulated in the media in the past 48 hours and indeed in this thread was should Hosptials, GP surgeries, Nursing Homes and Pharmacies enforce a mandatory FFP2 status for the coming weeks but instead we got swamped with a focus on public transport and retail and a load of pants down balls out comms.

Not to mention a swath of experts giving it the Feb/March 2020 vibe of masks won't work, it's too late.

Disgusting.

And then some of you wonder why heads go off grid to Indian islands.

No. You knew exactly what I was asking you. But you replied about smoking bans and whatever else..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You sound like this old geezer I had the misfortune to come across a few months ago who was shouting at us all to put on masks as he passed us, some people were too polite to say anything because he was a pensioner but I had no problem telling him where to shove his busybody attitude.

I'll take that bet!! - post #6827 23/3/22:

So... let's see if you're going to follow through shall we?

Why would they need to tell you in the first place? Eh?

Some attitude from you. You just couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I stopped some while ago.

Only thing it achieves it gives the casual observer the idea that this is still hotly debated on this thread/boards. When in reality it's not. It's 1 or 2 or 3 people beating the drum over and over again and annoyed people not being able to resist. I am or used to be one of those annoyed people. But no more.

It's the same all over social media. It gives small but very vocal minorities the opportunity to appear much more weighty than they really are.

So I say leave him/them to it.

• Advertisement

Looks like the Canadian bots got over payed.

Advertisement