Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

Yeah august is a close friend of mine got the call and told me but it’s not a guarantee that the next will be the same number though they just get told that there’s gonna be a class and how many positions so could be full or less just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Boneyard2002

If they’re taking 50 for August it will just continue with that. I’m in 2021 recruitment. We haven’t received anything yet in regards to PCA/ Vetting papers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

This week I was told not to expect a call prior to winter 2023 given Ml 850-900. Completed all stages months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jcm86

Do we think there will be calls in July for Sept or did someone on here say the next course was October?

• Advertisement

@Flash_93 I'm guessing winter 2023 being Jan -feb and hopefully not away into next year lol

If they are doing 50 per course after august you will get calls for October, November time.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Not if there's no money.

Most recent course to start has less than 20.

They could be doing the staggered.

A full strength course followed by a low strength course so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Byc_moze

@jcm86 well, people who get calls for August intake said next one will be for October. So there is a hope we will be in next one. Fingers crossed and keep me inform please if you hear anything 😬

@Byc_moze tried private messaging you there but you have your settings private.

• Advertisement

There was 15 people who withdrawn or fail from further stages.

And 54 who are have been appointed or accepted the offer.

Last figures were on 9th of May so 69 people progressed/fail in over a month time 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭lornzeo99

@RECRUIT2018 what is your merit number

@lornzeo99 we are next 😎😂

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tango-Hotel

Anyone hear the Nolan show this morning? It's bleak.

I didn't get to listen as stuck in work, bleak as in not looking good for us? Or just an even longer wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 OldBenTheHermit

I disagree, I think the fact it’s being talked about is good and could lead to emergency funding for recruitment, haven’t listened to the show but the conversation itself is progress

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

133 recruits who have passed all managed stages and are ready to enter GV but can’t because they have no budget to train them. Think this discussion on the Nolan show this morning may speed things up abit because it brought to light the consequences of new staff not being trained. Also on average they are losing 300 staff a year due to retirement so the numbers will be dropping well below the 7000 mark.

Are u still on reserve list for August or are u going to GV?

I mean it came from the horse's mouth this morning on Nolan.

133 of the 2020 campaign are sitting ready to go.

She stated that in the current budget which covers up to March 2023 there's only enough money for 150 student officers.

Meaning only 17 places for 2021 campaign.

Money may come from Westminster but considering those on the hill aren't for playing the game unless that happens i doubt there'll be any change to that forecast until April 2023.

Only 17 places until they pull the finger out and get more funding

• Advertisement

Does it count for those left,those 133,or does it count who was already in GV from April 2022 onwards?

Cause budget was set up from April 2023 to April 2023. Was this 150 for whole year or its from now to April?

So confused 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Vi123

I’m confused. Based off their stats, which were updated 16/06/22, it says:

242 Candidates who are currently progressing through the PSNI managed stages.

So if the 150 this year, doesn’t that mean that there’s still going to be 92 or more from 2020 to start next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭crazyfire999

No, they currently have 133 candidates waiting to be appointed.

They want 150 by the end of this year. It means they will actually start taking some from the 2021 campaign. So they are actually hoping to exhaust the 2020 appointment list completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AWD188

Haven’t kept an eye on this in a while and can see there’s been some developments over the past month!

I’m ML 800-820, was told not to expect a call until post Winter ‘22. However I’m seeing there’s only 150 currently appointable people left to go through from ‘20 campaign. Am I reading that right? So it’s possible to get a call prior to the winter?

looking a holiday, and would be inclined to put it off if calls are possible before winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AWD188

I likely will, just curious as to whether the 133 odd left is actually a thing, as I can’t seem to find it anywhere apart from here lol

How many times did you have to repeat that already ?🤣

I laughed when I read that again 🙈🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭georgie1305

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

It wasn't a stupid question. They will ask you if you have any holidays booked and if you do they can't work round it. So plan it wisely if you think ur going to get a call soon👍 also no matter what anybody says your life will be put on hold for this job unfortunately

• Advertisement

Yes this job does put your life on hold, no point in putting it on hold before you're through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tango-Hotel

I have 3 friends in the police. One of those a Sargent. They are all on 2 or 3 holidays a year. Have plenty of family time and always ask me "where do you get the idea that this job takes over your life?" They all enjoy the job and the time off. Maybe they are lucky with the stations they are in and there are loads of colleagues who love OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

It'll be a few more years in payscale for myself for the 2 or 3 holidays a year🤣🤣 but ofcourse this job requires more of you than other jobs. You get detailed OT and there's no saying no. Held back hours after your meant to finish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pcchap

I had to do the same, will see you in October!

Top rate cons £41,130 plus NITA £3492 (Total £44,622)

Newly promoted Sergeant £43,965 plus NITA £3492 (Total £47,457)

Aye those wages are good and yes we'll all get to the top rate con pay eventually and it's a very gold salary considering you only need 5 GCSEs, even better when you add CRTP after a year.

And all Overtime cane be taken as TOIL instead of cash which is pretty cool.

I love my job, it's the best Job in the world. But this job does take over life.

1. You may have friends that you can't be friends with anymore.

2. You see and hear things that you wouldn't believe. And sometimes it's pretty horrible.

3. There's places you can't go anymore. And for some that's even more pronounced.

4. over time with no notice, ehich you can try and get rid off but if you have certains skills the number of people you can offload that too is small.

5. Being held on over and over and over means you have to bin plans.

6. There's no guarantee you'll get certain important dates off. Family birthdays, anniversaries etc. Which most plan for, and i've been particularly lucky as I get that leave in early but we all have things that just pop up. Point 5 feeds into this.

7. You literally can't do some things anymore

8. Stress of work inadvertantly bleeds into family life and you have to work hard to get that healthy balance.

9. Media constantly battering your profession. We know the reality and can generally ignore the tabloid nonsense but it's still less than ideal.

10. Public sector pay awards have been obliterated for the last 10 years.

I love my job, literally the best decision I made joining the Police but it's not all roses. It comes in peaks and troughs and tbh I work with some amazing people that make the troughs so much easier to get through.

The public perception that we earn tonnes of money and live in amazing houses and drive flash cars isn't the reality for most.

Can anybody tell me what the take home salary is in GV each month? Trying to way up the wage difference with my current job!

• Advertisement

For reference.

NITA isn't taxable or pensionable but is subject to National insurance so circa 12% deduction.

£3492 × 0.88 = £3072.96/12 = £256.08

Is your tax code is applied properly, ehich it won't be as HMRC lag behind job changes.

Taxcode 1257L i.e. tax free allowance £12,570/annum.

Pension deduction 12.44.

Plugging salary into a salary calculator for the student officer salary of £21,441.

Take home pay on that salary £1394.11. (No student loan)

Add in NITA post NI (no student loan)

£1650.19/month

With student Loan (Plan 1 if you are from NI)

Take home pay works out to be about

£1383.11.

With NITA less national insurance and student loan is £233.3/month.

Monthly take home £1616.14/month

But in practice for sone reason it's much lower than this, federation subscription etc.

If there's no break in service you'll keep your pay point in GV

And won't have a probation to serve but the 3 year distrixt commitment will apply

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

Hi all, apologies if this has been previously answered but are they hoping to have our 2020 campaign fully exhausted by March 2023 and then start from the 2021 campaign or could it extend past that?

@RECRUIT2018 are u going to start GV August? Or you still on a waiting list?

• Advertisement

There are people who got August start day with 640- 670 ML. So I think there is not that many left, and even without executive it's very possible that our campaign will be done by March 😬 I hope 🤣

I just wasn't sure if you got offer or not. So we are waiting for a call 🙈🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Starsky1

Hello. Sorry I’m in the 2021 campaign.

does anyone know what classes have been confirmed? Is there a sept/Oct class confirmed?

@Starsky1 as far as I know - August so far, and we are waiting for a call for a next intake

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Starsky1

No problem Byc_more , thanks for letting me know 😀

fingers crossed there will be 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4 NM2021

August intake, and talk of an intake end of October/start of November

Just wondering do they call off a withheld number? And do they leave a voicemail? Thanks!

Witheld number and they will leave a voicemail

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Summer157

Hi folks, I’m in the 2021 recruitment process and was wondering where can you slip up or fail on the managed stages, which is the most common one or one that most people fall down on?

thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement