Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnboy76

Happy days saves another expense. Glad I kept the receipt for my bright pink Hello Kitty bag haha

On second thoughts you'll definitely need that bag for GV ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    It isn't taxable but is liable to national insurance. It isn't pensionable

Are you sure?? I’m in NIPS and our allowance is mirror image of PSNI and it’s taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Yeah that’s what I meant, non-pensionable and taxable, as national insurance contributions are a tax on earnings. Cheers

They aren't and mean complete different things in terms of taxation and deductions.

Such things were my job before the police

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Are you sure?? I’m in NIPS and our allowance is mirror image of PSNI and it’s taxable.

Yes, perfectly sure.

I've even ran the different calculations in sequence to be sure.

It is not taxed.

NI is a deduction specifically for state pension and eligibility for benefits. Hence is not tax as HMRC define it

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    They aren't and mean complete different things in terms of taxation and deductions.

Such things were my job before the police
    Passage below is taken directly from an official PSNI document on police remuneration for 2020-21. Perhaps it’s wrong, so thanks for your input.

‘8.4 Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance (NITA)
    NITA is a special allowance payable to all officers in recognition of the extraordinary circumstances under which they serve in Northern Ireland. The allowance is taxable and non-pensionable and is paid to all officers up to and including the rank of Chief Constable.

Police Service of Northern Ireland Page 86’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

Has anyone worked out what the take home pay is during training?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Served in a force over the water and take home pay for me during training was about £1450 P/M. It'll be a bit different here due to slight differences in payscales and NITA but I'd imagine it's not too far off.

Yeah, i've heard from other officers it's about £1500 during training. Pretty good, provided that we will be also acquiring a new qualification in policing xx:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Passage below is taken directly from an official PSNI document on police remuneration for 2020-21. Perhaps it’s wrong, so thanks for your input.

‘8.4 Northern Ireland Transitional Allowance (NITA)
    NITA is a special allowance payable to all officers in recognition of the extraordinary circumstances under which they serve in Northern Ireland. The allowance is taxable and non-pensionable and is paid to all officers up to and including the rank of Chief Constable.

Police Service of Northern Ireland Page 86’

You are correct pal. The risk allowance or the NITA as it’s called is taxable.

Mine is taxed every month and we get exactly what the PSNI get

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭North Coast John

I called recruitment a week or two ago to ask some questions but they weren't able to tell me; what kind of numbers have been fast tracked? Is it around 200? And how many applicants go into each intake? 30? 50?

Trying to gauge if I'm going to get the call for the June, July or August intakes. Its very hard to make short-medium term plans at the minute and I'm trying to begin the process of leaving my current job. I work for a small company and I'm in quite a key position so leaving will cause a big impact and I dont want to see them in difficulties.

I called recruitment a week or two ago to ask some questions but they weren't able to tell me; what kind of numbers have been fast tracked? Is it around 200? And how many applicants go into each intake? 30? 50?

Trying to gauge if I'm going to get the call for the June, July or August intakes. Its very hard to make short-medium term plans at the minute and I'm trying to begin the process of leaving my current job. I work for a small company and I'm in quite a key position so leaving will cause a big impact and I dont want to see them in difficulties.

Hi North Coast John. I think the total number of all FT people was 234. I read somewhere here in the past pages that the numbers of intakes are reduced now due to Covid. Hard to say, isn't it.

• Advertisement

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Hi North Coast John. I think the total number of all FT people was 234. I read somewhere here in the past pages that the numbers of intakes are reduced now due to Covid. Hard to say, isn't it.

Thanks for getting back to me- I remember seeing that figure but wasn't sure how accurate it was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

How likely is it that the ML will be exhausted throughout time? & when do we think the next recruitment will be?

JC12250 wrote: »
    How likely is it that the ML will be exhausted throughout time? & when do we think the next recruitment will be?

JC12250, hi. Over the past 3 recruitment campaigns before ours (2014, 2017 and 2018) i think that the ML got fully exhausted or near enough. Usually around 950 candidates who successfully passed the AC and of those, around a 1/3 (300-ish or a bit more) who failed getting appointable due to failing one of the PSNI managed stages. So, i would hope this would be the case for this year, unless budget is so tight that they only recruit 300-400 of the candidates. A while ago i was speaking to a serving PC who told me that in something like 2011, he had passed all stages but then he received an email that they were only appointing officers up to place 200 on the ML and he was 207. So, that was that recruitment campaign over for him that year. Hopefully, they are intending to rather exhaust all the current ML with all of us, before spending extra finances for an entirely new recruitment campaign. Live in hope :P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Anybody on here who has completed their PCA recently received there medical date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CG1324

Anybody on here who has completed their PCA recently received there medical date yet?

Completed mine a few weeks back and not heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Been waiting just over 4 weeks now for my medical. Very keen to at least get a date

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Hopefully they come soon enough then. I’m wondering now that we know the merit list will be released soon will they give out dates based on merit order?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

Remember to check your Junk Folder folks! I only seen mine by pure fluke as everything else from recruitment made it to my ordinary inbox..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CG1324

Just a case of sitting tight and waiting to hear. Only a few steps to go!

That's me in the next intake. It's been great being on this forum and thank you all for your advice/support/help. Good luck with the rest of the recruitment process guys and I hope things work out for you all.

-John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

That's me in the next intake. It's been great being on this forum and thank you all for your advice/support/help. Good luck with the rest of the recruitment process guys and I hope things work out for you all.

-John

Congrats John! Apparently the training staff start going a bit easier on you once a new intake comes in, so I'm looking forward to you starting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

-John
    Brilliant news John, delighted for you that you’re in the next intake. All the best for starting mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

John is that June you're in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 FluffyPuppy

Hi all,

Long (very long) time lurker here. Congratulations to all of those who are progressing through to the PSNI managed stages and good luck for what remains. Commiserations to those who haven’t been successful this time, I know the feeling as it’s taken me several attempts to make the cut. As it stands, I am FT group 2 and just got word that I passed the Medical. Only the drugs test to go! I was wondering, they had to take hair samples from my chest as there wasn’t enough hair on my head (lol), does anyone know roughly how long it takes to hear back on the results?

Many thanks

John is that June you're in?

Yeah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

I had a missed call, I'm hyperventilating now hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Hi all,

Long (very long) time lurker here. Congratulations to all of those who are progressing through to the PSNI managed stages and good luck for what remains. Commiserations to those who haven’t been successful this time, I know the feeling as it’s taken me several attempts to make the cut. As it stands, I am FT group 2 and just got word that I passed the Medical. Only the drugs test to go! I was wondering, they had to take hair samples from my chest as there wasn’t enough hair on my head (lol), does anyone know roughly how long it takes to hear back on the results?

Many thanks

I am at the same stage as you. FT2 and medical passed and just waiting on SMT results. Hopefully in the next week and abit we will hear some news.
    Great to hear folk getting calls for June intake

-John

Delighted for you John. Best of luck in GV and hopefully, we won't be too far back, although not FT-ed. Delighted for all other guys who got their starting dates already xx

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

-John

Good luck you will be grand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

MrChew wrote: »
    Congrats John! Apparently the training staff start going a bit easier on you once a new intake comes in, so I'm looking forward to you starting ;)

Who told you those lies lol‚ GV is a scary place and the staff are horrible to you ;-)

Advertisement